• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Ah, so another "all Americans are dumb and everyone else in the world is way smarter" take. From a game series that using almost exclusively American characters. Using narratives deeply steeped in American places and cultures.

Then again saying bad things about Americans has always been popular and can get your product better sales possibly so this might be smart.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's hilarious the stuff some people wrote in their reviews. I love the game - it's great. People need to open themselves up for other experiences instead of always wanting instant gratification.

Orrrrrr people are open to other experiences instead of always wanting instant gratification yet they still find the gameplay kind of dull or needlessly annoying at times with a story that calling it heavy handed would be an understatement.

It's great that you're enjoying the game, but painting a generalizing brush that "people aren't liking it because they're not patient" doesn't help anything.

Oct 29, 2017
AmusedSlimyAfricanclawedfrog-size_restricted.gif

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Doesnt the West, and Europe as well play more genres than Japan though? I like Kojima, but this really comes off as arrogant.

Death Stranding is not the first walking simulator by the way, so lets stop acting like Kojima created some new medium.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
The guy was literally fired from his job and had all his meaningful creations taken from him when all these people came out to work with him. It obviously means a lot to him and that's why he put it up, but sure let's start a dog pile on him instead for daring to be happy about it.
Kojima can be a victim of shitty management and still be an egomaniac. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's hilarious the stuff some people wrote in their reviews. I love the game - it's great. People need to open themselves up for other experiences instead of always wanting instant gratification.
Dumb take. You can both be open to new experiences and still be disapointed in them. Much more so is the way you mock people for wanting to be entertained in their choice of entertainment media. The creator themself admits that the first half of this game will turn people off on it. Seems like people are having valid takes all around. Glad you had fun.... no need to invalidate people who didn't.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As has been previously stated in this thread... Of the bottom ten reviews on metacritic, only one of them was written by an American (it was the Giant Bomb review). So, it isn't like the American media represents the extreme negative either. This entire narrative is nonsense.

Uh huh.

Of the 17 reviews giving the game a score under 8: 7 are American outlets, 4 British, 3 Australian, 1 Canadian. Only 2 are from non-English speaking countries. Like you stated some of the American outlet reviews are by non-Americans - either Canadian, British or Australian. This even only accounting for printed reviews and not all the American journalist tweeting out how much they hated it or refused to play more after one session.

I think his statement is unfounded, but let's be real there's definitely a picture of stronger criticism from US/English reviewers. Maybe we're just easier to please in Europe.

Last edited:

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima took risks in making this game. Most people like it and some people don't. All he has to do is look at the reception of his friend Nicolas Winding Refn's films. Some are loved, some not so much (most not so much). If Kojima wants to makes what he considers to be art, then sometimes the reception will not be overwhelmingly positive. Art is subjective in the complete sense of the word. Some people won't be affected by the work in ways others will be. I appreciate what he's doing with a AAA title in a day and age where it's hard to take too many risks with the amount of money and time it takes to make these games. Others may not appreciate it and would prefer something with more immediate gratification and action (I'm personally a bit worn out on shooting everything that moves in games and while I'm early in Death Stranding, it's filling a niche for me ) and he needs to take pride in that his work is what he set out to do and not worry about people who don't love it.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017

Dan Ryckert described the Kojima media event during the latest Giant Beastcast, and he said it was the strangest industry event he's ever been to. The photo wall seems super self indulgent. Like those creepy facebook profiles where that guy has 100 of celebrity selfies he's taking while pointing at them.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Death Stranding. The imagery is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the exposition will go over a typical player's head. There's also Sam's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Kino Strand literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just "fun"- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Death Stranding truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the subtlety in the relevance of the catchphrase "Make America Whole Again," which itself is a cryptic reference to Donald Trump's rallying "MAGA". I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hideo Kojima's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a BT tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

Is this a meme reference, because I've seen this exact same comment at least once already?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
So I see Kojima-Stans are still posting literal fake news and parroting the whole 'America reviewed it lower that's what's why he is right'

When it's absolutely not true.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Celebrating the people who came to help you is egomaniac? Ok.

T33poBL.png
I'm not certain you understand how that meme works.

The statement was very simple.

Kojima can be a victim. He can also be an egomaniac. His being an egomaniac doesn't take away from his being a victim. That's not a statement of hatred toward Kojima.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Is this a meme reference, because I've seen this exact same comment at least once already?
I mean you could google it

knowyourmeme.com

To Be Fair, You Have To Have a Very High IQ to Understand Rick and Morty

"To Be Fair, You Have To Have a Very High IQ to Understand Rick and Morty" is a copypasta that fans and detractors of the animated television series Rick and Morty use to sarcastically respond to criticisms of the show. The text, which may have been originally posted sincerely, refers to the...

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not certain you understand how that meme works.

The statement was very simple.

Kojima can be a victim. He can also be an egomaniac. His being an egomaniac doesn't take away from his being a victim. That's not a statement of hatred toward Kojima.

I understand fully well how the meme works, thank you. Maybe look at what the statement was a response to?

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'm surprised so many here are taking those comments as some kind of attack on America, there's undeniably a pervasive gun culture there that seeps into every aspect of American media to a point where many must find a large scale game built around something other than combat to be jarring.

I've always felt other series like Uncharted and Watch Dogs could have been improved games without any gun combat whatsoever but wondered if they'd be labelled "boring" by many as a result.

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did. You responding with it still doesn't make sense.
Poster posts a picture of collage to make fun of Developer being egomaniac.
I post that it really isn't something to make fun of when you think of the situation around it.
Second poster posts being an egomaniac and a victim isn't mutually exclusive which is fine and correct, but it still doesn't change that at this point you're just looking for things with a microscope by finding that collage an indication of egomania.

Cue:

T33poBL.png

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Celebrating the people who came to help you is egomaniac? Ok.

T33poBL.png
A massive wall of praise sure feels like ego-stroking to me. Everyone's had people helping them though tough times, but you don't see them putting on giant wall displays of people saying how great they are.

And for fuck's sake, I don't hate Kojima. MGS3 is one of my favorite games ever. I waited in front of a Uniqlo for hours to meet him in person and get my copy of MGS HD Collection signed by him. I still think he's an egomaniac who desparately needs an editor.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised so many here are taking those comments as some kind of attack on America, there's undeniably a pervasive gun culture there that seeps into every aspect of American media to a point where many must find a large scale game built around something other than combat to be jarring.

I've always felt other series like Uncharted and Watch Dogs could have been improved games without any gun combat whatsoever but wondered if they'd be labelled "boring" by many as a result.

But most large scale games, from every country, are combat based. That's not some American exclusive feature, wtf?

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A massive wall of praise sure feels like ego-stroking to me. Everyone's had people helping them though tough times, but you don't see them putting on giant wall displays of people saying how great they are.

And for fuck's sake, I don't hate Kojima. MGS3 is one one of my favorite games ever. I waited in front of a Uniqlo for hours to meet him in person and get my copy of MGS HD Collection signed by him. I still think he's an egomaniac who desparately needs an editor.
Here, I'll translate Mads Mikkelsens words from the collage: "Your glass is always half full, Hideo!". It's literally a celebration of optimism between him and all the friends he made after a hard time. He felt it was relevant to the game and made it part of the gallery.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh wow, didn't realize it was at 83 metacritic. That would explain the butthurt
83. Such a terrible score... (honestly, it's a pretty generous one given how polarized many critics were on it).

I guess when you're used to all your games being in the 90s, though, an 83 must feel like the worst score ever. That's, like, Zone of the Enders and Boktai territory for him! How terrible!

Puffball

Jan 16, 2018
By that logic, wouldn't that mean Americans would hate Nintendo games too? Hell, Animal Crossing shouldn't even be huge in the US if his statement was true.