• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
This is a bad take. What you might have meant was "mass appeal"?

By your logic, Marvel films are only good because "even the stupids can enjoy"
Something can be good entertainment without being profound or intellectual. The truth is the masses tend to like easily palatable things.

I never meant to say that intellectual content isn't good.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is ridiculous. How about as gamers we simply don't over-react with a mega-thread every time he makes an awkwardly phrased tweet.

No way! Hating Kojima is what we do now, we're almost enjoying our anger.

But seriously criticism should be given when it's due and this case and many, many others to come it is justified.

Last edited:

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Death Stranding. The imagery is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the exposition will go over a typical player's head. There's also Sam's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Kino Strand literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just "fun"- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Death Stranding truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the subtlety in the relevance of the catchphrase "Make America Whole Again," which itself is a cryptic reference to Donald Trump's rallying "MAGA". I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hideo Kojima's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a BT tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
That is ridiculous. How about as gamers we simply don't over-react with a mega-thread every time he makes an awkwardly phrased tweet.
The dude has a terrible translator. If this is truly an instance of miscommunication, then this is the third or fourth time a mistranslation has made him seem like he's saying stupid things.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bold strategy to single out the country with the largest player base for criticism. Love Death Stranding but I think blanket statements like the one Hideo made are ill-advised and actually run contrary to the message of DS.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm enjoying the game, but I think the bigger issue is that, while Death Stranding isn't an action / stealth game, it still has action and stealth components - and both of those are significantly worse than they were in the games Kojima has directed before. Irrespective of where the audience for that stuff is, they're going to be disappointed.

And I say this as someone who thinks the core delivery / walking side of Death Stranding is excellent.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
and the averages show that the US isn't particularly different than elsewhere

Averages never tell a complete story. Would you argue that there's no poverty in a country based on the average income? Or that a mild climate year round is the same thing as having brutal winters and summers? The extremely polarized response to Death Stranding in US media is interesting, and does tell a story. I'm not sure it's as simplistic as Hideo would like to think, but he's not entirely crazy for thinking there's a cultural explanation. The fact that it Is literally a commentary on America as a plot device in a divided country doubtless plays a role.

I'm enjoying Death Stranding a great deal, in part because I'm not in a hurry to achieve specific objectives. I'm enjoying the nuance of the journey itself, and appreciating the not-especially subtle messaging regarding both ecology and divisiveness.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The dude has a terrible translator. If this is truly an instance of miscommunication, then this is the third or fourth time a mistranslation has made him seem like he's saying stupid things.
I doubt this is a severe mistranslation. I'm sure that he's saying something like Call of Duty-ish games are rather low brow, while his aspirations for Death Stranding were to be high brow. The phrasing of some of the language in his tweets and interviews in general just tends to give people space to hate him even more since he doesn't speak precisely.

I understand that aspiring to be high brow or high art is extremely offensive to the gaming community at large so I'm not surprised that people hate his comment. I can't help but wish we were better than that, even though I know we never will be.

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt this is a severe mistranslation. I'm sure that he's saying something like Call of Duty-ish games are rather low brow, while his aspirations for Death Stranding were to be high brow. The phrasing of some of the language just tends to give people space to hate him even more since he doesn't speak precisely.

I understand that aspiring to be high brow or high art is extremely offensive to the gaming community at large so I'm not surprised that people hate his comment. I can't help but wish we were better than that, even though I know we never will be.
Oh come on, if it's not a mistranslation, then he just made a REALLY bad take and people are calling him out on it. People aren't hating his comment for no reason or out of spite nor because gamers hate aspirations for high brow or high art. The game received rave reviews in NA as well, with the average being in line with other regions, and there are plenty of non-shooters and indie games that score very highly here as well

Averages never tell a complete story. Would you argue that there's no poverty in a country based on the average income? Or that a mild climate year round is the same thing as having brutal winters and summers? The extremely polarized response to Death Stranding in US media is interesting, and does tell a story. I'm not sure it's as simplistic as Hideo would like to think, but he's not entirely crazy for thinking there's a cultural explanation. The fact that it Is literally a commentary on America as a plot device in a divided country doubtless plays a role.

I'm enjoying Death Stranding a great deal, in part because I'm not in a hurry to achieve specific objectives. I'm enjoying the nuance of the journey itself, and appreciating the not-especially subtle messaging regarding both ecology and divisiveness.
Pretty sure the response is polarized elsewhere as well, with Australia giving the game a lower score on average

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on, if it's not a mistranslation, then he just made a REALLY bad take and people are calling him out on it. People aren't hating his comment for no reason or out of spite nor because gamers hate aspirations for high brow or high art. The game received rave reviews in NA as well, with the average being in line with other regions, and there are plenty of non-shooters and indie games that score very highly here as well
Yes, I literally just said that it's probably not a mistranslation. I don't think we generated 30 pages of vitriol because he didn't correctly assess regional review trends.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I understand that aspiring to be high brow or high art is extremely offensive to the gaming community at large so I'm not surprised that people hate his comment.
Ah yes, all the high brow stuff like Quiet's outfit and interactive tiddy shots in MGS3. Malick and Lynch are dying out of jealousy to Kojima's genius this very second.

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I literally just said that it's probably not a mistranslation. I don't think we generated 30 pages of vitriol because he didn't correctly assess regional review trends.
I know and I'm saying, if it's that's the case, then it's just folk calling him out for making a bad take rather than taking offense at the idea of someone trying to make high art with games

Of course not, we got 30 pages because a big beloved developer that released a somewhat mixed game twice in a row is trying to paint a certain region as being too into shooters to get his game when that region scored his game in line with the other regions. Have another big name in the industry say something similar and they'd probably get the same response

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
No it isn't. There's really nothing like Death Stranding out there. The closest thing is probably Breath of the Wild, but even that doesn't have the same sort of systems, mechanics, management, nor the asynchronous multiplayer components that can genuinely change the experience.

And you literally cannot say it's the worst aspects of open world games without actually having played it, especially when so much of it is fresh or different. Hell, even the stuff it does that's been done before, it does in its own way.

You're absolutely correct. Walking through vast open, empty worlds doing fedex quests is nothing at all like the typical AAA game. And when you aren't doing that, you're watching a massive amount of cutscenes. Riveting stuff.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you all for your impressions. What I want to ask you and anyone else who feels like answering is this: Is traversal challenging enough and interesting enough to function as the game's main loop? Most of the footage I've seen entails 90% walking on a realitvely flat surface without much of anything happening. I would imagine that a game about challenging traversal would have really rough terrain, spots that are extremely difficult to reach, adverse weather conditions and a variety of survival elements. Judging exclusively from the footage I've seen, it seems that traversal isn't much of an issue most of the time. Is this different when actually playing the game?

I think of it less as 'traversal' and more of 'logistics'. The part of the game where you're constantly stumbling and tipping over is actually pretty short, you get equipment to mitigate that pretty quickly. The interesting part for me becomes how to accomplish my tasks on a larger scale and more efficiently. For example to build roads I've been hijacking trucks and stealing ceramics from the game's equivalent of bandits. And roads make deliveries incredibly easy. Yet while there is no challenge in riding my trike on a highway for a minute and a half and getting a free Legend of Legend rank, it's still satisfying because I busted my ass to build that highway.

There can still be grueling stretches of land, for sure - BTs complicate any situation and are a real hassle even if they aren't terribly dangerous. But even without enemies the patch of road I'm trying to build next is in an area with constant equipment-degrading rainfall and almost comically rough terrain. I'm going to need to get thousands of kilograms of materials over it, sure I could just manhandle it over, but the game just gave me some new equipment that should handle the situation with ease.

I find this interesting and fun. I don't know if challenging is the word for it, even on hard mode. But I could certainly see how it's not everyone's idea of fun.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Its a message in what the AAA space focuses on and what expectations there are fairly or unfairly. When ppl say what do you do in a AAA game the answer is 99.9% combat of some kind

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe you guys would say Kojima has an ego.
Would a man with an ego have a wall full of celebrity selfies at an art gallery for his game?

6aaE2N2.jpg
Incredible

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Pretty sad response from Kojima in all honesty, bordering on "americans are stupid" racism.

"Americans" aren't a race, and clearly the commentary wasn't painting everyone in the category with the same brush. So no, it's not even remotely racism. Nor is it particularly insightful or graceful acceptance of criticism, admittedly, but it's not racism.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ironicially, this thread is proving that the people on this forum are the thin skinned ones (despite the comments saying that kojima is) and reinforcing the points he made. It's hilarious how butthurt some of you are.

Not sure why everyone is upset over this. The US is renown for its short attention span and bang bang shooty obsession. Saying a game flies higher than that is just saying it's more than just action sequences. Saying the US doesn't like artsy stuff as much as european countries is just a fact. Look at literally all other forms of media for proof. He's not saying that his game doesn't deserve the harsher criticism from the places that give it, just that this is likely the reason why. As someone who has lived in the US for 99.9% of his life, it's hard to blame him for saying so. He never at any point said the game doesn't deserve any criticism or that it is perfect as many of you claim. He also never said that anything was wrong with US media like many of you claim. Where are you pulling this shit from? Did you even read his quote?

This is literally all he's saying and all these people are in an uproar and calling kojima a crybaby over it. Who's the crybaby here?
Bit of gymnastics going on here, Kojima's statement is about general US media's inability to grasp his ideas ("Flies above"), dismissing genuine criticism because his perspective is the only right one, then making sweeping statements about taste. Not sure how forum posters making this distinction is reinforcing his indictment, they're opposed.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Never been a big fan of Kojima's and this doesn't make me more interested in his games. I want to give it a fair shot but man Kojima can't get out of his own way on this.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe you guys would say Kojima has an ego.
Would a man with an ego have a wall full of celebrity selfies at an art gallery for his game?

6aaE2N2.jpg
The guy was literally fired from his job and had all his meaningful creations taken from him when all these people came out to work with him. It obviously means a lot to him and that's why he put it up, but sure let's start a dog pile on him instead for daring to be happy about it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guy was literally fired from his job and had all his meaningful creations taken from him when all these people came out to work with him. It obviously means a lot to him and that's why he put it up, but sure let's start a dog pile on him instead for daring to be happy about it.

Every thread with Kojima or Death Stranding or anything related will be like this, people have turned on him for some reason these past few years.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
So what new revolutionary genre did he create?

Dude likes to sniff his own farts too much. Not a good look.

Create a better game and people might actually rate it better.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Still going, eh. The celebrity wall isn't peaked Kojima madness Era, this is:

Is there more than this scene? Nicolas Winding Refn (his 3D scan is a lead in Destra but acted by someone else) used to be good but he ain´t coming back out of his own ass. No wonder that Amazon canned the show after S01. I could barely get through the pilot. Modern Kojima is a better director than modern Refn... Yeah.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit curious about how many times the words "pretentious" , "hack", and "sniffs his own farts" was used in this thread. It's like you're all reading from a script.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

As has been previously stated in this thread... Of the bottom ten reviews on metacritic, only one of them was written by an American (it was the Giant Bomb review). So, it isn't like the American media represents the extreme negative either. This entire narrative is nonsense.

I'm legit curious about how many times the words "pretentious" , "hack", and "sniffs his own farts" was used in this thread. It's like you're all reading from a script.

Uh huh.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a study or something that showed that narrative games are better received in the EU? It's weirdly said by Kojima, but even further I think a similar breakdown showed that sales tend to skew first person in the US and third person in EU. Though I've long since lost that source