• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gaiseric

Aug 4, 2019
Probably doesn't help that the game is a twisted version of America that even Americans wouldn't recognize. I'm currently enjoying it however.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The UK market is not representative of Europe - it's very comparable to the us market. Except soccer games that sell incredibly well in the UK of course.

Other european countries have much more different and varied tastes. In exemple ; France, Italy and Spain have a deeply rooted manga and anime culture that the Uk doesn't have - that's why JRPG and anime fighters sell well in these countries.

It always make me cringe when Uk is taken as a barometer of "Europe" especially considering Brexit.

I don't know about all that but I don't see DS beating COD in most European countries. At the end of the day, lots of people like good shootybangs regardless of what generalizations people like Kojima want to make.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like gameplay aside, can't we just compare the story stuff. The game is fucking bonkers. Seems like translated to english non-sense, embarrassingly on the nose attempts at political commentary that yet still somehow lacks coherence.

Gameplay wise, pretty cool I guess.

Oct 26, 2017
Let's be real, he's clearly referring to IGN US, not literally all US outlets lol.
You'd imagine that IGN could have saved themselves the bother for once and plagiarized one of their sister review sites. The nastier reviews were from US media, with wilder variance of scores compared to other regions. Negative reviews with no agenda are fine with reasoned bullet points to back it up but some reviews read like people with axes to grind. The majority of negative comments in reviews would have attacks on Kojima and not the game itself.

Oct 26, 2017
The UK market is not representative of Europe - it's very comparable to the us market. Except soccer games that sell incredibly well in the UK of course.

That's not totally true.

Top 3 Best selling Games in the UK in 2018:

1. FIFA 19
  2. RDR 2
  3. Black Ops 4
Top 3 Best Selling Games in France in 2018:
  1. FIFA 19
  2. RDR2
  3. Black Ops 4
Top 3 Best Selling Games in Italy in 2018:
  1. FIFA 19
  2. RDR2
  3. Black Ops 4
If we want to go deeper, games like Spider-Man, God War, Far Cry 5 and Odyssey are in the Top 10 in all the charts.
Yes, France has more Nintendo games, but the vast majority of the top selling games are the same, for France, Italy and the UK.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_ozzc16o55v1qhqk7jo1_500.gifv

Wait till he gets slapped with a 5/10 by Edge.

Last time I checked, 60 of the review scores were above 80, and only 8 were below 70. That was with a total of 100 or so.

The game is divisive, but not to the point it is anywhere NEAR an even split of love/hate.

And, once more, SO MUCH of the negative noise comes from people like you who have... not even played it.
Weirdest thing is that Death ~Mona Lisa~ Stranding has more perfect 10s than games that review higher such as Luigi's Mansion and Outer Worlds. Without these perfect 10s it would be deservedly in the mid 70s on Meta and closer to its user scores.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_ozzc16o55v1qhqk7jo1_500.gifv

Wait till he gets slapped with a 5/10 by Edge.

Weirdest thing is that Death ~Mona Lisa~ Stranding has more perfect 10s than games that review higher such as Luigi's Mansion and Outer Worlds. Without these perfect 10s it would be deservedly in the mid 70s on Meta and closer to its user scores.

What would you score it after your time with it?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First time I've seen it, I don't have the energy to read through all the posts I missed while not being in thread.

Thanks for sharing it.
Sorry if my post came of condescending or anything of the sort. I've just been reading through the entirety of the thread and I keep seeing it go in circles regarding review scores and that got shared multiple times and so few seemed to ever click the link. I think it should really be threadmarked or something.

---

Regarding the thread on learning a language. It's can be dependent on the language, how adjacent it is to another, familiarity and how well you recognize words, how much you may have been exposed to it, and of course even the individual on how easy or hard a language is to learn. Someone who's only language is English may find learning Dutch/German easier due to the familiarity in a lot of the words looking similar to our own and holding the same or similar meaning.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if my post came of condescending or anything of the sort. I've just been reading through the entirety of the thread and I keep seeing it go in circles regarding review scores and that got shared multiple times and so few seemed to ever click the link. I think it should really be threadmarked or something.

---

Regarding the thread on learning a language. It's can be dependent on the language, how adjacent it is to another, familiarity and how well you recognize words, how much you may have been exposed to it, and of course even the individual on how easy or hard a language is to learn. Someone who's only language is English may find learning Dutch/German easier due to the familiarity in a lot of the words looking similar to our own and holding the same or similar meaning.
Oh, you didn't come across that way. It's very true you have a good point overall, people rarely even read the OT...

English is also so dominent that it is everywhere in popular media, so it's probably eaiser via saturation to a degree.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Norman Reedus comically stumbling down hillsides has sold me way more on DS than I thought it would, honestly.

But this is a dumbass statement

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Game is a chore to play and I'm from Europe and love story driven cinematic games, whether they are third person action/adventure or story choice driven RPGs.

Death Stranding is not MGS but it could have been more interesting than deliver packages.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you can also say that only a blind won't see its shortcomings? it is great that you are liking the game and enjoying it, but don't dismiss opinions of others.
It's not perfect, I dont think it is, masterpiece doesnt mean perfect to me, means it does something extremely well, or has new and interesting concepts.
But giving 2 out of 10 and saying its boring or dimish it to a "Amazon simulator" its not a valid opinion.(also means it was not played more than a couple of hours...) that's people/reviews opionions I cant respect.
Its like saying: in FIFA you just run kicking a ball, boring. In COD you just shoot at people all the time, boring.
Thats what I think...

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I see, so saying that it deserved to be in the 70's meta wise seems a little bit bullshit then.
I don't think any game that has more perfect 10s than games scoring higher on it on Meta deserve their score. I think a lot of reviewers gave a perfect 10 because the game is made by a celebrity director.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Game is a chore to play and I'm from Europe and love story driven cinematic games, whether they are third person action/adventure or story choice driven RPGs.

Death Stranding is not MGS but it could have been more interesting than deliver packages.
Each to their own. 30 hours in and I'm having a blast. Been going out of my way to do extra deliveries and build extra structures and contributing to roadways.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any game that has more perfect 10s than games scoring higher on it on Meta deserve their score. I think a lot of reviewers gave a perfect 10 because the game is made by a celebrity director.

Right.

Then again it really does seem like a love or hate it game, in the OT some are saying it's GOTY when they were unsure of it whereas others just aren't that into it.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It's not perfect, I dont think it is, masterpiece doesnt mean perfect to me, means it does something extremely well, or has new and interesting concepts.
But giving 2 out of 10 and saying its boring or dimish it to a "Amazon simulator" its not a valid opinion.

I agree with this but it is a different case than fair criticism from professionals in the press.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Each to their own. 30 hours in and I'm having a blast. Been going out of my way to do extra deliveries and build extra structures and contributing to roadways.

Since you're a fan of the game I'd like your opinion on a thought I have. What is the point of the deliveries? If the game's message is to rebuild a broken country, couldn't deliveries have been replaced with more interesting quests and still retain the same mesage?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

"Deserve their score" metacritic is idiotic.
The idea that game reviews have to line up is so dumb. So nothing can be polarising?

The fact that you think that by not playing the game you can make any kind of value statement as if it's a commodity is silly.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like gameplay aside, can't we just compare the story stuff. The game is fucking bonkers. Seems like translated to english non-sense, embarrassingly on the nose attempts at political commentary that yet still somehow lacks coherence.

So it's like every other Kojima game, then. At least post MGS3.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Since you're a fan of the game I'd like your opinion on a thought I have. What is the point of the deliveries? If the game's message is to rebuild a broken country, couldn't deliveries have been replaced with more interesting quests and still retain the same mesage?
I'm not sure? I find the delivery stuff really enjoyable and meditative so I'm not sure I can answer your question. I wouldn't change it for something else.

The game is a cooperative logistics simulator with a crazy sci fi story. Honestly I'm mostly baffled by the people who can love Breath of the Wild and not like this. Honestly, there is a lot of common DNA in their design philosophy, but instead of shrines you have delivery points and the puzzle solving is figuring out how to better traverse the world.

Helping the different people and cities nets you many beneficial tools and helping other players put resources into roads makes the world more traversable, making it easier to make more deliveries. All the mechanical loops feed into each other and reinforce one another.

Livetohard378

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I wonder if he will have the same energy when the last of us 2 comes out?

Also, isn't this an incredibly disrespectful view to hold when most of the major award winning teams at Sony are American?

I'm sorry, I forgot he "flies higher." And I actually like this game but this is some serious dumbsh@t.

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
hah Kojima really is up his own ass. If you don't like a narrative, find one that fits your world view.

I've got no particular opinion on Death Stranding beyond LMAO @ "Strand Game" but following Kojima on twitters shows he's pretty obsessed with these reviews.

Oct 27, 2017

I'll chime in if that is okay. I love the game and the deliveries help bring communities together. Like delivering medication, fresh water and supplies and shows them they can help each other. Same with the online. Different porters help each other and create a sense of community. I also think the deliveries themselves are interesting. Doesn't sound fun on paper but really fun when playing.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I'm liking the game a lot but Kojima needs to be quiet. There are plenty of games in the west that score high and don't involve shooting. Also all of the stories in his games are ridiculous anime nonsense. They are entertaining stories but common, so many other games have done so much more. This game isn't high art or anything. You make weapons out of your blood and fecal matter for fuck's sake.

What Kojima should be focused on in these interviews is what he has done with traversal. I would love to see other games make traversal more interactive and thoughtful like he has done in Death Stranding. That's the part of the game that is innovative.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We have reached peak Kojima. Not sure this can be topped.
This is a comment that will stay and will only seperate believers from non-believers even more now and the following years and projects. It will also follow him forever now, making his attitude questionable, even if it something is not related to the current situation. It leaves an opinion about his personality, sadly.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
User banned (permanent): Ableism. Inflammatory behavior. History of related behavior.
I wonder if he will have the same energy when the last if us 2 comes out?

Also, isn't this an incredibly disrespectful view to hold when most of the major award winning teams at Sony are American?

I'm sorry, I forgot he "flies higher." And I actually like this game but this is some serious dumbsh@t.

what can you expect from a fucked up narcisist that been ass kissed by everyone for decades and a huge portion of its fanbase treat him like hes some kind of god because he made games with retarded stories that have more cutscenes than gameplay. He lilterally tinks his shit doesnt stink, He actually thinks its a fragrance. Its phenomenal how someone can have his head so far up his ass hes practically two headed

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
America. Fuck yeah!

Also walking around trying not to lose your footing whilst micromanaging complex systems might not be fun for some people regardless of where they live.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
To call this game a walking simulator, even when talking about the deliveries part, is flat out wrong. There's so much strategy in the deliveries, how much to carry, how to best carry it, etc. This isn't close to being in the same genre as Everybody has Gone to the Rapture or Edith Finch. It's closer to a chill MGS V.

I really hope Kojima gets to keep making games, but if for some reason he can't due to low sales etc I hope there's a movie making future for him as I love his story telling style.

Oct 27, 2017
European here. Gameplay wise the game sucks donkey dick, sorry Kojima. I'm playing it for the Kojima stuff and the story, but the game is an absolute chore.