• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I can't deny the influence of his compositions, one way or another that will remain for a long time, but the real tragedy is the man never changed his views before dying.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Haha! Yes!

Condolences to his relatives and friends though. Unless they don't like him either.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

There's assholes, and then there's extremely rich assholes who spend their considerable fortunes and social capital propping up ultranationalist causes, denying war crimes and gleefully celebrating the suffering and suicide of LGBT youth. For years and years. And never show a hint of remorse or self-awareness. Sugiyama was like that until the day he died.

You don't have to speak ill of the dead if you don't want to, but the man was full-spec evil.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of successors, I think I've seen something about Hayato Matsuo thrown around before. He has worked on arranging a bunch of music for the games, alongside composing on a bunch of other games and anime (Front Mission 3, FFXII, Hellsing Ultimate, etc).
Like, it's very hard not to bring up some of the comically cruel things he's done (literally laughing off suicide, buying up ad space denying war crimes, etc). He was a titan, and we can't take that away, but he was also not a good person.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing composer, awful person. I can imagine cultural differences here are going to play a role in response to this. Much of us in the West here may be more hostile to this man's abhorrent views, whereas Japan may be more sympathetic to this announcement given the cultural significance of his work.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
User banned (permanent): Constantly excusing bigotry, account self-destruction
yes, let's be respectful to the war crimes denier who went on television to laugh about youth lgbt suicide

that's a good hill to die on
I'm not going to mourn his death. But go ahead and ban me and delete my account. You guys already want to initiate the dogpile.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
End of an era, everyone knew this day would come, though, I cannot imagine a DQ game without his music.

Condolences to his family.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017

I can respect his work as part of video game history. That much is going to remain on the record, particularly but not only inside Japan.

Yet I don't think he deserves much respect as an individual though, given his public lack of empathy and tolerance for others. Which makes it very hard to mourn him.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I mean he was quite old (and one could say it was reflected in not getting as many new compositions from him over time) but this is kind of a shock regardless.

Gonna be interesting to see how this affects DQXII.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
One less homophobic war crime denier in the world. They made good music in their career but it's for the best they're gone.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not going to mourn his death. But go ahead and ban me and delete my account. You guys already want to initiate the dogpile.
Yes I too love war crime denying fascists!

Peace out, dipshit. You didn't even say why you think his death shouldn't be celebrated, dumbass.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The beauty of art is you can reclaim it for yourself. Some artists are bad people, but when we engage with their works, we bring something of ourselves to it -- our personal experiences, our emotions -- and that work of art becomes our own. I look at the DQ music as something created by a bad person that we then picked up, dusted off, and claimed as our own.

Oct 27, 2017

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not that familiar with the series, but from what I've gathered this seems like a good thing for the games themselves, even irrespective of his personal actions.

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
He is famous as the composer of Dragon Quest, but for me, his best game music is E.V.O.
I like the PC-98 ver better than the SNES ver.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Simmons from YoVideogames described it best: There's having shitty opinions & there are people who use their money to directly bring harm to women & the LGBTQ+ community. There's no defending him.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I get acknowledging that someone is a bad person , but some yall really celebrating a humans death.

Where do you personally draw the line? like how much influence on human suffering total?

Dude was a massive piece of shit. A few comments on a forum who feel better knowing that just maybe, a few less people have to endure this type of person aren't as bad as you're thinking they are.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
He made good music, but he was a bad person. This seems like a positive for the series as a whole. I am happy Dragon Quest doesn't have to be associated with Sugiyama anymore.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I knew you were the same guy who said "cool forum" when we joked about carving the foreheads of nazis with a swastika a la Inglorious Basterds. Piss off back into whatever basement dwelling forum you actually frequent.

To the rest, no point in entertaining the obvious bad faith troll.
wow-ohh.gif