• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
Rest in piss in shit asshole.

May the souls you mocked and denied the existence of torment you in the eternal abyss.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
This is me respecting the art, but not respecting the artist. Hopefully this means Square Enix can now infuse Dragon Quest with a different kind of music direction from someone who isn't...that.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
I not going to sit here and pretend to be sad an ultranationalist war crime denier died.q if your a horrible person in life you don't deserve a death where everyone pretends you were a good person just because its the polite thing to do.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celebrating the death of a person who exhibited disguting behavior makes you a person who exhibits disgusting behavior. You are not better.

Nah I definitely think I'm a better person than the war-crime denying, teenage suicide laughing, homophobic, transphobic, misogynist.

Get the fuck off your high-horse.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Celebrating the death of a person who exhibited disguting behavior makes you a person who exhibits disgusting behavior. You are not better.
Never said i was lol, NIGHTMARE NIGHTMARE NIGHTMARE
Now that this fuck is gone, things will hopefully improve on several levels with DQ as a whole
Rest in Piss

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No, being happy someone can no longer spread their message of hate makes us better.

Meanwhile the people clutching their pearls over sensible reactions to the death of garbage can get fucked.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is me respecting the art, but not respecting the artist. Hopefully this means Square Enix can now infuse Dragon Quest with a different kind of music direction from someone who isn't...that.

i mean if were supposed to respect the art, he could have died years ago and it would have effected his art very little. Most of dq11's actual good music was from older days games. Imagine if final fantasy 16 comes out and the best songs in it are taken from ff9, 6 and 10. You'd feel robbed.

sugiyama wasnt just an active hate monger, he was a fundamental reason that the music in dq11 was so bad.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
He was a collosal shit spewing bigoted asshole that happened to spew out some godly music along with all that filth. I will always love that music but I can easily say that I don't exactly miss giant assholes. Thanks for the music, but good riddance.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
He thinks I'm disgusting just by existing as an LGBTQ person, especially as someone who has done business with friendly Japanese people and has visited Japan so many times, and he uses his power and influence to make people like me suffer. I won't mourn for his passing and good riddance.

I hope Hayato Matsuo can work on DQ from now on, he's massively talented.

*: thought, he's not capable of the present tense. lol

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this guy set up an estate structure for his work that will continue the shenanigans, like using MIDI versions on mainline releases.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I'm glad that he won't be abusing his wealth and platform to hurt people anymore

e: unless, of course, he designated that future royalties go to hate groups. did he have a wife or children?

Oct 28, 2017
This bigot has been composing mediocre work in the DQ games for years. The series & the world is better off now.

Rest in piss.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah so do we know if his actual legacy (not the cute composition he made for games people happened to like) will continue beyond his death?
Because I'm still not touching DQ with a 10 feet pole if I'm not 100% certain it's not funding a big far right effort to deny war crimes and push ethno nationalism.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Rest in piss.
Hopefully SQ can now find someone wiling to make a DQ soundtrack that's new and good, and not just a rehash of old tunes.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
User warned: Inappropriate terminology
So.. how's Japan taking it?

Real Talk. To Them (Japan) He is National Treasure. His death It's going to be big news (and probably even have a big funeral)

We can expect many Japanese developers tweets to talk about this tomorrow.

Mod Edit: Spelling of Japan

Last edited by a moderator:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

I'm going to offer up a different take here than most people: I'm not concerned with being morally better than someone in this context.

In many instances I simply don't care about whether I'm a "good person", especially to right-leaning types. If being glad (or unconcerned at best) about a person's death, who has caused demonstrable harm while alive, makes me horrible to you? So be it.

Oct 25, 2017

WeebSimpsons back from the dead to post about it.

I am curious though, who's going to get the music rights? Sugiyama had an iron grip on them, but will they go to his family, his company, or will Square-Enix take control? Too soon to tell.
Just don't expect XII to get rid of everything he made, the main theme will definitely be there, along with some of the jingles.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing most of the music in DQ12 will be his still, probably older tracks he composed and maybe a few new ones he or his company might have done before he passed.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Oh good, well now that you've put me in my place, I'll just not be happy that a man who would laugh his ass off if I committed suicide is now in the ground.

Thank you for your enlightening words. How silly I must've been to feel relief and joy that someone who wants me to die is dead.

Now we know the truth: Denying the rape and murder of thousands of people and laughing at LGBTQ+ teens killing themselves is, if you look at the scale, just as bad as being happy that someone who does those things is no longer around.

Enjoy your ban, loser.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
If people hate DQ music and are expecting it to suddenly change completely in style because Sugiyama won't be composing it, they've got another thing coming.

There are probably one or two generations of composers that were influenced by Sugiyama and I'll eat my hat if SE won't try to find someone who can emulate his style. And I also fully expect the games to still have tons of his old music in them.

The only meaningful change I expect from this is that we probably won't have any issues getting the orchestral soundtrack right off the bat anymore, and that the new composer will most likely put a lot more effort on the new songs than Sugiyama had been putting.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If people hate DQ music and are expecting it to suddenly change completely in style because Sugiyama won't be composing it, they've got another thing coming.

There are probably one or two generations of composers that were influenced by Sugiyama and I'll eat my hat if SE won't try to find someone who can emulate his style. And I also fully expect the games to still have tons of his old music in them.

The only meaningful change I expect from this is that we probably won't have any issues getting the orchestral soundtrack right off the bat anymore, and that the new composer will most likely put a lot more effort on the new songs than Sugiyama had been putting.

I imagine the "Dragon Quest style" isn't going anywhere, for sure, but Sugiyama had been phoning shit in for a decade on a level that makes Motoi Sakuraba's recent Tales work sound like peak Uematsu. Literally anyone else doing the job would try harder than he did almost by default. You'd have to actively go out of your way and set your mind specifically to composing something as boring as DQXI's overworld theme.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen people mention that he used his money to cause suffering to the LGBTQ community. Could I get some details on this? In regard to his stance on the LGBTQ community, I only know of his laughing at the suicide of people from that community.

Then you're not a true Sugiyama fan
I know you've already been quoted a lot, but I'm doing it still lol. It's a good post.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
americas-next-top-model-crying.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Counterpoint: This guy lived a long, full, rich life that included shitting on and straight up denying the suffering of other, much more vulnerable people. The world is a better place with fewer people exposing these views. Tut-tutting people (particularly people of this board that have and continue to deal with this kind of bigotry firsthand) does not make your view either wise or above it all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen people mention that he used his money to cause suffering to the LGBTQ community. Could I get some details on this? In regard to his stance on the LGBTQ community, I only know of his laughing at the suicide of people from that community.

Sugiyama was known for making substantial donations to various right-wing special interest groups and politicians, and regularly appeared on right-wing TV decrying homosexuality, including the laughter incident you mentioned.

https://kotaku.com/politician-made-anti-lgbtq-comments-on-dragon-quest-com-1827885043

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I won't celebrate his death but I won't shame anyone who does. Guy was a vile POS who did much more harm than good.

Hope the people at SE can make better use of his music, which is all I'll remember from him.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I could be wrong on this, but I believe he has an apprentice who's set to take over after his retirement. Presumably he works for Sugiyama's company and will take over composing responsibilities from now.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about this news is that Sugiyama is dead.

The second best thing about this news is that Dragon Quest will finally get a new composer. As much as I love Sugiyama's compositions, he clearly didn't have the impetus he had at the beginning of the series. Tracks have been getting reused in lieu of new compositions since DQVIII.