• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Fuck Sugiyama.

I wonder how Horii and the rest are handling it.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Though I never played a single DQ game (though pretty sure the music he composed beforehand is in Smash Ultimate), I'll say I'm glad to hear that there is one less horrid person alive in this world.

Rot in hell, you piece of shit!

eda-the-owl-house.gif

Same - haven't played any game and the series and like you, only heard his music in Smash. This guy actively hated the LGBTQIA+ community so he can fuck off.

Oct 25, 2017
He made some great music from 1986 to 2004. And his soundtrack on Godzilla vs Biollante was nice.

But he was still a scumbag. Even looking past the war crime denial and homophobia, he's part of the reason Japan's music rights are a pain to deal with, why some games or anime exclude certain songs for licensing reasons. A big lobbyist for music copyright restrictions.
Allegedly, he was pissed when Square-Enix used the orchestral OST for Dragon Quest VIII's localization. So he severely increased the licensing price for the those versions. That's why the 3DS versions of VII and VIII use MIDI in the localized versions when they use orchestra in the originals. How we managed to get the orchestral songs in Dragon Quest XI S is almost a miracle.
And yeah, the great musical bits of XI are due to being recycled from past games. There's a lot of recycled music in XI, only like 15 new tracks were actually made for the game, and it's apparent which ones those were from how weak they sound.

Since Dragon Quest XII is likely still years away, I can only hope that the new composer really shows their stuff.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
One less fuckhead to deny war crimes and rally people against minorities. It's fine to love his music, but the man was a piece of shit, and it's good that he's gone.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Maybe we'll get better music now. Love the guy's old soundtracks but he was the typical old fashioned conservative nationalist that I despise so much, every country hast that type

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mean good riddance. I don't have any sympathy for this bitter old bigot passing.

All I really care about is if Dragon Quest will have non MIDI arrangements and yknow... actual good music. It's never really been my taste.

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
We love to see it. And the people mad at folks celebrating the death of a trash bag person who spewed hate can choke. Let the people who were ridiculed and put down by the man celebrate the fact that he's gone.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rest in fucking piss

Not going to get into how good his music was or how revolutionary he was when the guy openly denied Japanese war crimes and was a shitty, regressive nationalist

Nothing you do could ever balance the scales to make that right

I don't begrudge Horii and the rest of the DQ team for openly mourning his death, but I hope somewhere deep down they acknowledged how much of a monstrous piece of shit he was

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
So DQXII will be the last game he compose.

It will be interesting to see where things will go after that.

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
Saw Horii's tweet honoring him which was, at the time i saw, almost retweeted 50 000 times with well over 50 000 likes.

EDIT: S'at 150 000 ikes now and almost 70 000 retweets

DQ's character designer Toriyama (Akira)'s comment on Sugiyama's death is also making the rounds: "I thought of him as a magician who had eternal life."

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
His last good stuff was like, 9 and before that probably his last unambiguously great DQ OST was VII.

Glad that he won't be involved or continue being such a bigot, but personally feel a bit icky celebrating a death. Understand why others might. And am I definitely glad he's gone.

Hope XII get a new and less bigoted/racist/xenophobic/homophobic/controlling composer, even if it's still from his production company. I assume some part of DQ sales will continue to go to his estate though.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Drive by concern trolling with regards to homophobia and denial of war crimes, inflammatory comparison, account in junior phase.
Celebrating the death of a person who exhibited disguting behavior makes you a person who exhibits disgusting behavior. You are not better.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Good riddance!

Maybe Dragon Quest can have good music for once. I never liked his stuff.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the end of an era one way or another. He was a shit human being and he also did some amazing art that brought joy to a lot of people.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, another asshole is dead.

So how is your day?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
dude fucking lived to 90

he got his, both in age and cash

he's due what he's due now that the worm hath turned

Indeed. He lived a long, privileged life and passed away as a very old man. It's the best fate one can ever hope for. Nothing tragic has happened here, even if he was a saint.

So at the very least, let's be happy to be reminded that all hateful bigots have an expiration date.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's a shame he had to spend so much of his energy tarnishing his legacy by being a hateful bigot. I hope queer people in Japan feel marginally safer without him amplifying hate against them anymore.