• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As much of an ass as he was, you shouldn't be glad anyone is dead.
Bullshit. He laughed at the suicidal. Well now he can be laughed at in death for eternity like the colossal asshole he was. If he'd been less of an asshole he'd have left less of a stink behind. Its entirely on him.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I can recognize and respect his contributions to music for what they are, but to be honest, I was never a fan of most of it. Dragon Quest VIII is the only time I "felt" his vibe. Maybe it was because it was the first DQ I really liked?

Personal politics aside, he's also been running on fumes for years now. I don't know if this is disrespectful to say, but I'm glad that this means new blood will get to compose for DQ games.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
In lieue of saying something mean about someone recently deceased, I will say that his mark on video game music will remain forever. Really expanded the notion of VG music as not just art, but as an event to be listened and enjoyed even separately from the game it is from.

hopefully now he realizes just how hurtful and terrible his politics were.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I do disagree with the people in this thread who say his music was bad though. The DQ theme is iconic, and there are plenty of other good songs that he has written. I feel the same way about Jeremy Soule. They both fucking suck, but I'm not going to pretend they didn't write good music.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Garbage person, decent and iconic music. If people remember him for his garbage views then there's only one person to blame for that.

Probably along the lines of what I'd say. It's one thing to have shit views, it's another thing to go out of way to use your wealth and platform to actively fund causes that kick people while they're down. Legacy is what it is, the good and bad of what you did in life. He just isn't going to only be remembered for his music.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I do love his DQ music, but I wouldnt say im sad for his death.
Hopefully the series new composer continues making similar stellar music for the games (and less reusue except the main theme) and is a better person.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
iu

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
This was shocking to me and I don't know why, the dude was old as fuck. He made some iconic songs - there's a reason why Japan used the DQ overture to introduce the Olympians this summer, such a shame he was a piece of shit.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Holocaust denier, anti-LGBTQ+, midi soundtracks in games to get more money when you buy his orchestral albums or watch his music live, and certainly some other fun stuff I've forgotten or don't know about.

He wasn't an Holocaust denier, but a Japanese war crimes denier. Which is a key element of Japan's far right.

I'm not too hopeful about DQ. No doubt they'll get someone who tries to mimic Sugiyama's style.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who can separate the art from the artist, great news! After all, it's just the awful man who died, his art will live on and even can be appreciated guilty free now.

I'm curious if he did anything new for DQXII though or if it's gonna be all from a new composer. Excited anyway.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Personally I find DQ music to be average, repetitive, and overall thoroughly unpleasant to listen to. Rest in piss, ya cunt.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Good riddance. DQ11 had the fuckin worst soundtrack so fingers crossed for 12 now.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Drive by concern trolling with regards to homophobia and war crime denial, previous severe bans for concern trolling around representation and dismissing racism.
The internet really brings out the worst of people sometimes. If you don't have anything nice to say about a dead person, don't say anything at all. Behaviour like seen in this thread makes you folks and this forum look really despicable.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So does SE now fully own the music for DQ or what

How will this affect DQ as well since he had input on how it is released and stuff?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Wow it actually happened. I mean, it was going to happen inevitably but its such an odd feeling knowing that came so soon. I hope the franchise is in much better hands now or in the future. Especially due to his beliefs and how restrictive he was.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The internet really brings out the worst of people sometimes. If you don't have anything nice to say about a dead person, don't say anything at all. Behaviour like seen in this thread makes you folks and this forum look really despicable.

More despicable than a guy who laughed at lgbt teen suicide?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Dead people don't automatically earn respect, the man was a monster and should be treated as such. Get off your high horse.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
His music was amazing. A big factor in me loving the Dragon Quest games so much all my life and it being my favorite series

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I'll say what I like. Just cos the cunt is dead doesn't make him suddenly absolved from criticism.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
lol. Stop taking morality lesson from anime my dude.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
RIP.

I loved his music and grew up adoring his tracks. So I have that soft spot there.

Just enough to not celebrate his death. But I don't blame anyone who does.

Though... he really was not doing great with the new stuff, so I'm really looking forward to whoever takes over for the next game.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Browsing Twitter sure has been amusing in the past few hours with the japanese side mourning and the rest of the world dabbing.

Exceptions here and there of course, but the divide is fascinating.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Ayo, where was this energy when Sugiyama was laughing at the suicide rates of LGBTQ teens?

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018

Have fun in hell, asshole. Time to start sowin'.

Don't tell LGBTQ+ people like me how to feel about a man who said he would laugh if we killed ourselves. Fuck off with this tone policing.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Boo fucking hoo. The guy was a cunt in life and he'll remain a cunt in death. Just because he's in the ground doesn't mean I suddenly have to say 'rip' to a guy who would've laughed over my grave given the chance.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Moral grandstanding by caping for someone who paid for ads denying war-crimes and openly mocked LGBTQ suicides. You hate to see it.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Imagine thinking people deserve respect just because they died, something we will all inevitably do. Rest in piss

Gin

May 2, 2018
I do wish one day we can separate the content from the person

I loved his music. It was incredibly emotional for me.
I have his old OSTs which I have collected and treasured.
Some of my best memories playing these dragon quest games are listening to the music afterwards..

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
I like the big DQ themes (overused as they may be), but the dude sucked hardcore and it's clearly better for everyone that he isn't around anymore.
Really interested in hearing what the games sound like going forward.