• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Street Fighter IV still has the hardest combo trials of all fighters tho

rsf2ck7s.jpg

Game was like, "Figure it out, asshole"

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
That's a bit like watching some sick pool/snooker trick shots and thinking there's no point giving the game a try. These sorts of high end combos aren't necessary for playing the game at a competent level.
Pretty much, being able to defend against certain setups and knowing your basics to open people up will get you farther than whatever incredibly hard combo you will never land, because you can't open people up.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they other I defeated a guy who dropped hd combo by doing a not at all hard combo and some fundamentals. If my opponent did a much easier combo he would have defeated me, but tried to be cute with me

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This is nuts. Just cancels after cancels after cancels. Even Justin Wong struggles with doing these. I'm getting war flashbacks of trying these myself lol

Street Fighter IV still has the hardest combo trials of all fighters tho

I dunno if it's common among streamers of of fighting games, but they should think about showing their hands with a second camera during play sessions, it's probably the only genre were I would find that interesting

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Trials are fun in the sense that puzzles are fun. Sometimes it can be fun trying to figure it out.

But they're terrible for actually learning the game at any meaningful level outside of a few exceptions.

It BAFFLES me that allowing users to upload their own trials of bnbs and such for others to try isn't a standard. They need to seriously get on it. I think Them's Fighting Herds is the only modern fighter I know of that lets you do this.

I dunno if it's common among streamers of of fighting games, but they should think about showing their hands with a second camera during play sessions, it's probably the only genre were I would find that interesting

It's pretty common, or having an input viewer shown.

Oct 26, 2017
This thread inspired me to see if I could still do my Raiden max mode combo.

Took a while, but I still remembered after a looong time not playing KOF XIII. I think something like this was in Raiden's combo trials, but I forget exactly.

The combo trials are definitely super hard in KOF XIII. I don't think I ever completed a single character's trials.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
In Guilty Gear Xrd, some moves don't connect unless you use hidden extra stuff like randomly dashing for a fraction of a second right before using the next move in a long combo.

The move trial mode never tells this to you, and the small dash in the execution presentation is nearly impossible to see!

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I just laughed when I saw some of the trials and just moved on. Knew there was no way in hell I was going to complete even most of those. Love XIII to pieces though, such a good feeling fighter.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Thing about kof is that its very fast execution but also link based and not chained so its kinda fucked up, no matter how much they simplify the mechanica if the base of the combo and the 6 jumps don't change kof will always be a hard game for newcomers

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Also remember that KoFXIII is much much easier in execution than 2002UM. Playing the latter when they did the rollback update made me realize that.

Thing about kof is that its very fast execution but also link based and not chained so its kinda fucked up

Ah, another misconception I see here. KoF is not linked based, it's chain based, just not very lenient. The true links are not that common and very character dependant. There are many many target combos in it.

Last edited:

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Lenient input buffer in KoF would be a nightmare. Small hops, dashing, attacking and the like with overlapping inputs and quick successive motions would result in lots of accidental inputs.

I'm specifically referring to cancel windows once the opponent is in Hit Stun or Block Stun and the Attacker is in Start-up/Active/Recovery frames of their offensive moves and unable to do anything other than transition into another move. Something as simple as being able to hold the input direction to press the follow-up button instead of resetting to normal and inputing the cancel fresh would make a huge difference in making chains less complicated.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
Do people actually perform these ridiculous combos in actual matches?

Because I can't even execute them in practice mode.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sometimes I wonder how many people in the world can actually pull some of these off. Like, competitive KOF is so tiny and even they go for easier stuff.
It's strange gamedesign if you think of the potential scale.

I do like that you can buffer specials in KOF, that part is way easier than in other games.

Can't really say for other platforms, but one of my favorite things as a designer is looking at global achievements on Steam.

2.5%
That should do it!
Complete all trials for 1 character in Trial mode

And that is just for 1 character!

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
In Guilty Gear Xrd, some moves don't connect unless you use hidden extra stuff like randomly dashing for a fraction of a second right before using the next move in a long combo.

The move trial mode never tells this to you, and the small dash in the execution presentation is nearly impossible to see!
Sometimes adding a dash, super jump or something else make the combo easier in Xrd even if it's not necessary to land the combo, I believe if a dash is required the game does include it in the combo though(in Xrd Rev at least, can't remember if Sign did that too). Still, if there's a dash in the execution presentation it should be easy to tell since the dash's cloud of dust special effect comes out even if the dash is canceled immediately.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Yep..been replaying this game recently on my 1X cause it's free with XBL..the trial combos are fucking BRUTAL. Strictest timing ever.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Yep..been replaying this game recently on my 1X cause it's free with XBL..the trial combos are fucking BRUTAL. Strictest timing ever.
The timing isn't strict at all in most of the trails, game is one of the most lenient when it comes to special moves timing, which is what makes those combos so much fun, you just need to know about the KoF button hold buffer, check this out:

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
The timing isn't strict at all in most of the trails, game is one of the most lenient when it comes to special moves timing, which is what makes those combos so much fun, you just need to know about the KoF button hold buffer, check this out:

Oh snap, had no idea you could do this.

OP
OP
chaobreaker

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So Justin's channel has uploaded other clips of him trying XIII trials.

Even Punk has been doing them too

I take it back. SF4 trials has nothing on KOF XIII