• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Jwrqvo0Bw

"Over the last 28 years we have built an incredibly strong business, partnering with many of the best-known names in the industry. Since joining the Embracer Group in 2018, growth has accelerated and we have become increasingly diversified. To reflect the evolving nature of our business in terms not only of content, but also of geography, as we continue our expansion across the globe, we have chosen our new name to better portray who we are and the journey we are taking.

"Our new name offers us the opportunity to build on our rich history as a publishing partner and our outstanding, constantly growing network of world-class development studios and creative people, to keep delivering premium service to our partners, to highlight our ambition as a global player within the entertainment industry but also to reinvent ourselves. Our vision is to enable and inspire our worldwide teams and partners, unlocking their full potential.

"Our industry is incredibly dynamic, the expectations of our customers and our partners are continually evolving, and we must recognize this. Relying on our strong foundation whilst embracing change will deliver something new, something better. As PLAION, we're building on our years of success while striving for more, much more. PLAION is a promise to deliver outstanding entertainment to our customers. I'm happy and proud to continue our journey as PLAION."

www.gematsu.com

Koch Media rebrands as PLAION

Koch Media—parent company of Deep Silver, Prime Matter, and Ravenscourt—has announced that effective today, all Koch Media companies worldwide will be renamed PLAION.

i don't like the logo. looks like a bunch of media app icons

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
That logo looks like a logo for an old ass video recording program that you'd see in the beginning of someone's Youtube video during the early days of Youtube lmao. That shit doesn't look good at all and don't even get me started on the name. All in all, this rebrand is just so incredibly forgettable.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a budget electronics brand from the 00s. Very cool.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
That logo looks like a logo for an old ass video recording program that you'd see in the beginning of someone's Youtube video during the early days of Youtube lmao. That shit doesn't look good at all and don't even get me started on the name. All in all, this rebrand is just so incredibly forgettable.
Either that or a DivX competitor lmao

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The name sounds like some evil corporation in a mediocre cyberpunk story

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
you know the plaion video app you would've used in 2003 had its own proprietary video file format, like .pon or some dumb shit

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Generic IT consulting business-ass rebrand, you wouldn't even think they have their hands in video games

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
it's what this part made me think of. could be a legal thing?
no. you're thinking to far. Koch is just the surname of one of the founders. it doesn't really make sense for a video game company to be called "Koch Media" it doesn't represent what they are doing. that's it. it's also not that easy to pronounce for non native german speakers.

i doubt they even know about the koch brothers btw.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
tbf Koch Media always sounded like "shovelware stuff in a bin somewhere in the supermarket" to me so its not getting worse I guess?

Is there any strategy change behind that name change or is it just that-a name change?

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Has Embracer (I guess Plaion now) indicated any desire to build out a subscription service?

I feel like there naming now is a bit better suited for that

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At least english speaking people will pronounce their name correctly now.
Not a big fan of it though.

Oct 26, 2017

DivX is calling from beyond the grave...

Aug 31, 2019
From one bad name to another imo.

While I'm here, to my ear "Embracer Group" is probably the most evil-forward named gaming conglomerate. Sounds like a horde of facehuggers

Oct 26, 2017
They couldn't have chosen a more generic logo

Well, they almost could have...

2nE2gG9.png

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Forgettable but still probably better than Koch Media for the english speaking world.