• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Reason number #650 to not go to Evo. I'm still not a hundred percent sure what's going on but apparently Mr. Wiz doesn't treat players very respectfully and if you go down the rabbit hole of Twitter discussions about Mr. Wiz you'll see this isn't an isolated incident. Apparently, other top Tekken player "Speedkicks" has also had to deal with the Evo head being a disrespectful douche. If any more info comes out (clarity and concise story) I'll post it here.

For now, this is from PokChop's Twitter:

Edit: Apparently he was trying to run side bets (big no no). And for everyone getting thread backfire boners maybe re read the op such as "any more info will be posted" or that Speedkicks is also complaining that Mr. wiz is an ass.

And of course I don't literally have an exact number of 650 reasons to attend Evo you dingus.

Last edited:

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reason number #650 to not go to Evo. I'm still not a hundred percent sure what's going
I mean, Pokchop is side betting on Anakin. He keeps yelling I got $10 amount on Anakin who wants to bet? Who wants to lose they money?
Someone in front/side of him complains and asks him to pipe down ("Sit yo black ass down") coz they can't hear the commentary or something, and Pokchop says 'whatever just turn around and watch this beatdown' (beatdown: the match in question).
After this Wizard asks him to STFU and sit down otherwise he will get ejected.

I mean, I'm all for questioning Mr.McRib when he's a scumbag, but this is awfully petty of you. Wizard is acting in the interest of the other attendees.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most shocking thing for me is that people are going to EVO, and they're acting like they're at opera or something. Let Pokchop scream lmao, he's one of the funniest guy in the FGC.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The most shocking thing for me is that people are going to EVO, and they're acting like they're at opera or something. Let Pokchop scream lmao, he's one of the funniest guy in the FGC.

So it's ok to be a douche and yell over commentary on a live event as long as the guy is funny to you?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm at work and can't turn my speakers up to make out what's being said in the video. It's also dark and I can't see shit. What's going on?

Edit:
I mean, Pokchop is side betting on Anakin. He keeps yelling I got $10 amount on Anakin who wants to bet? Who wants to lose they money?
Someone in front/side of him complains and asks him to pipe down ("Sit yo black ass down") coz they can't hear the commentary or something, and Pokchop says 'whatever just turn around and watch this beatdown' (beatdown: the match in question).

I mean, I'm all for questioning Mr.McRib when he's a scumbag, but this is awfully petty of you. Wizard is acting in the interest of the other attendees.
Ah, I see.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's ok to be a douche and yell over commentary on a live event as long as the guy is funny to you?
A lot of old school FGC players grew up in the arcades. Talking and yelling shit was part of it, and is still part of the FGC culture (note : i'm not talking about targetted harrasment, which is a really different thing that what we are seeing in that video). I guess i'm used to it. But if you expect a silent crowd like in a Starcraft 2 tournament when you go to a FGC event... i have bad news for you.

Last edited:

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
Pokchop is like the nÂş1 trash talker in the Tekken community. I don't like Wiz, but I don't think he treated as bad as he deserves.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I don't think this thread title reflects the contents. Not seeing a huge issue here honestly, even more so after reading some of the comments here.

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The problem here is the usual FGC vs eSports divide. Sidebetting used to be commonplace even back in 2013 when I was at Evo, and I'm sure it's common even now.

But Wizard and Evo are trying to be eSports. Evo has become more of a convension and less of a grassroots tourney. Fighting game publishers view it as a marketing event. Sort of their own version of E3.

What Pokchop did isnt wrong from a traditional FGC perspective. What Wizard did isnt wrong from a modern eSports perspective. How you feel about this depends on your stance on the FGC vs eSports debate.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Someone is loud and annoying at an event.
People complain.
Coordinator has to ask that loud and annoying person to sit down or they will be kicked out.
Person complains to internet that employee was rude to them.
Yup, sounds like the internet

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think what you think was happening here is what happened. He does not have the reputation you were describing and he acted to stop someone who was aggressively disrupting everyone else's EVO experience.

Independent of the FGC versus Evo issue, Wiz definitely didn't seem out of line to me, especially if Pokchop wasn't. Could you have been a little bit less "Resetera Thread" about this?

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem here is the usual FGC vs eSports divide. Sidebetting used to be commonplace even back in 2013 when I was at Evo, and I'm sure it's common even now.

But Wizard and Evo are trying to be eSports. Evo has become more of a convension and less of a grassroots tourney. Fighting game publishers view it as a marketing event. Sort of their own version of E3.

What Pokchop did isnt wrong from a traditional FGC perspective. What Wizard did isnt wrong from a modern eSports perspective. How you feel about this depends on your stance on the FGC vs eSports debate.

Yeah, no way Pokchop would have been told to shut up at Final Round, for instance, because they try to be as roots as possible.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017

Based on the video, I don't even think in this instance wizard had a problem with the side betting per se (even though I'm pretty sure it's against the "official" rules), but it seemed like he was distracting others and there were visible complaints. Wizard is the head honcho so he tried to enforce some rules or whatever. I'm positive side betting still goes on at Evo, but I assumed it was for random money matches/ side set ups etc.

That being said, OP mentioned many other incidents and I'd love to see them. As an isolated incident it doesn't seem so bad. But if this is some sort of trend perhaps my analysis is wrong.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if someone acts like an idiot, he's not allowed to be told to simmer down, if he's internet famous? Okay.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Reason number #650 to not go to Evo. I'm still not a hundred percent sure what's going on but apparently Mr. Wiz doesn't treat players very respectfully and if you go down the rabbit hole of Twitter discussions about Mr. Wiz you'll see this isn't an isolated incident. Apparently, other top Tekken player "Speedkicks" has also had to deal with the Evo head being a disrespectful douche. If any more info comes out (clarity and concise story) I'll post it here.
Honestly this seems like a good reason to go to Evo. Players shouldn't get special treatment just because they're well known. Pokchop was acting like an idiot and got told off for it.

Feb 15, 2019
Honestly I think it is stupid to have to be quiet in an arena. But Pokchop is like one of the biggest trashtalkers there is in Tekken. How the hell is he gonna be like "don't let anyone talk to you like that" lmao. Is this a case of "can dish it out but can't take it"?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That looks perfectly normal to me, I guess he could have been a little nicer about it but the way he handled it was fine

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This literally happens at every tournament

Also funny this happens to well respected player in the community that I'm sure evo and other organizers use in their hype reels while evo gives Infiltration a redemption arc.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Given how big EVO has become in the worldwide gaming consciousness, I keep thinking I should invest more time in learning more about it and seeing if I can get into it so I can share in the joy of what is clearly a huge event.

But after the Solid Snake incident and threads like this, I just kind of feel like EVO just isn't a thing for people like me.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how big EVO has become in the worldwide gaming consciousness, I keep thinking I should invest more time in learning more about it and seeing if I can get into it so I can share in the joy of what is clearly a huge event.

But after the Solid Snake incident and threads like this, I just kind of feel like EVO just isn't a thing for people like me.

Tbh if things like this thread and the Solid Snake prank are what turn you off then you are just looking for an excuse not to get into it.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I don't really understand what Pokchop could have been doing to get yelled at, considering that everyone else is loud. Definitely wasn't about the side betting thing, that's super common.

Maybe he could have been standing up too long and blocking people. But Wiz just included being loud in his thing. I've been to a few events with Pokchop and he does stand up alot when he gets excited.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I absolutely hate when someone repeats themselves like 10 times. I would have told him to sit down and be quiet too...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah Pokchop was in the wrong here, I would have hated being near Pokchop were they acting that way while I'm watching an event.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I'm seeing/hearing is a guy hyped to be at evo and overly confident in his skill to the point where he wants to be money. I've been a a few events and that type of thing is commonplace. I think I'm not actually seeing the controversy here, not for lack of trying OP.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I know Pokchop is like that, and being a live event i get it when people are excited; i would be as well.
Some times people can get overbearing though, and you get the urge to tell them to shut the hell up.

There isn't enough context on this small video to judge if one or the other are way out of line.

Tbh if things like this thread and the Solid Snake prank are what turn you off then you are just looking for an excuse not to get into it.
I kind of feel the same way.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see any issue here. He was disrupting someone's experience and Mr Wiz came over and tried to resolve it.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Pokchop was in the wrong here, I would have hated being near Pokchop were they acting that way while I'm watching an event.
My thoughts too.

Also, I bet if someone told Mr. Wizard to sit down and shut up because he was being loud and annoying other people around he, he'd do it. He seems like a pretty chill dude from every video I've ever seen of him. The answer to "would you let someone talk to you like that" is "Yes, I'd deserve it".

Status
Not open for further replies.