• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Nintendo's first party game quality output hasn't decreased. With that being said, I continue to remain perplexed how they can get away with keeping MSRP on all their first party titles throughout the lifecycle of their consoles, long after they are around as well. It's astounding. As someone wanting to catch up to the Switch library when I buy the new Switch model later this year, it's going to be expensive.
They aren't "getting away" with anything. They keep their prices stable because consumers continue to buy their games at those prices.

No publisher reduces a game's price because of some sort of natural rule or moral imperative to do so. They lower prices because that's the way to keep their games selling. If the market supported other publishers maintaining their initial MSRP, those publishers would do so.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They aren't "getting away" with anything. They keep their prices stable because consumers continue to buy their games at those prices.

No publisher reduces a game's price because of some sort of natural rule or moral imperative to do so. They lower prices because that's the way to keep their games selling. If the market supported other publishers maintaining their initial MSRP, those publishers would do so.
this seems like such an obvious thing but there's so many people out there that think other publishers drop game prices cuz it's just the natural order of things or they do it out of the kindness of their heart.

all publishers do what they do to make the most money possible. for some, that's by dropping their prices to 10 bucks after a year, for some, it's by selling a game at full price for 10 years. neither of them do it because they love you or are evil.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Nintendo should be able to charge whatever price they want and produce however few units they want. If someone overpaid for a NES Classic off eBay, that's their fault. They didn't need that hunk of plastic and Nintendo has no obligation to make one available to anyone who wants one. If their online service isn't meeting someone's needs, then that person should buy from the competition.

Nintendo didn't defraud or deceive customers. But I still think customers should complain. That's good. Rant to your friends about your dissatisfaction. Cool. I fully support that. But that's not what this clickbait BS video is.

This theatrical "worst gaming company ever" line implying the days of this wildly profitable 100 year old company are numbered is just a tall glass of stupid.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The way some people on this forum talk about videogames as if luxury entertainment is a human right comparable to food and medication will never not make me cringe.

It's okay to disagree with a company and their pricing policies, for example, but ultimately they can charge whatever they want for their toys and that doesn't make them "evil" or anti-consumer.

So strange.

giphy.gif

Mar 11, 2021

Correct. They would have discounts if they needed discounts. I recall there being Nintendo titles on sale late in the GameCube's life--of course, that's when they were in a bad market position. People are snapping up their console and titles now, so of course they will sell full price.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
I agree the experience was fun at least for a novelty period of time.

iPhone's are generally the highest performing phones on the market, I don't think you want to use that as the barometer for Nintendo. They may not match every area spec for spec but they are high end phones with great performance.

If $199.99 just 5 years prior got Nintendo a massive generation leap from N64 to GameCube, there's no reason $250 in 2006 couldn't have gotten much better, HD capable hardware. The controller cost $20-$30 max to manufacture that still leaves the same hardware budget the GameCube and then some.

Iwata was a very likable person, but frankly I preferred the hardware made under Yamauchi by and large and I'm glad hardware wise that era appears to be over.
fair enough, I'm a massive fan of the lateral thinking era of Nintendo under Iwata, it's clearly a distinctive period of Nintendo and if you're not a fan of that then that's fine. I was never a fan of the Nintendo before DS and Wii, and with that going away slightly (there's still a little bit of that spark in switch), I'm feeling less enthusiastic about games as a whole, and never once did I feel short changed by the value provided by ds and Wii, regardless of the internals. Nintendo feeling a lot more in autopilot at the moment, it seems like people are happy with the status quo.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI

They just knocked $10 off Mario 3D World and the game's like 6 weeks old. Even that fact isn't true anymore.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
This video is not only old, but part of a continued reason "knowledge" hub had gone downhill. Yes yes, I know the creator is trying this weird ass style, but damn, his old shit was much more concise.

Plus his fans are.... Interesting. I'll just say that

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
All global corporations are terrible

Nintendo C LEVEL executives took a financial hit for the Wii U debacle and to protect their employees.

For that alone they stand apart from the majority of corporations.

Obviously they could do more but it is clear why many devs are happy to work for them unlike other companies.

May 17, 2018
Never heard of this channel before but I couldn't find a single point that I disagreed with in the entire video.

This entire thread is focused on game prices and it isn't even mentioned once in the video.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
A Nintendo "analysis" without even considering their handheld history... uhuh.
Also, there are so many oversimplifications and inaccuracies in this video.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The way some people on this forum talk about videogames as if luxury entertainment is a human right comparable to food and medication will never not make me cringe.

It's okay to disagree with a company and their pricing policies, for example, but ultimately they can charge whatever they want for their toys and that doesn't make them "evil" or anti-consumer.

So strange.

Very well said. I just dont understand the anti consumer talk. This is not like a company selling insulin at ridiculous high prices, this is video games. If people dont agree with their prices, then dont buy their products.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
None of these "anti-consumer' decisions have yet to effect me. Always seems like people are looking for reasons to complain.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
"KnowledgeHub"

I'm gonna start a youtube channel called "VeryGoodAndBigBrainCenter" and talk about how i didn't like the thing nintendo did with their video game
Pretty close to what just went through my mind when I read the thread title. It's like the "Revelations" or "Origins" or something of YouTube channels.

Part of me wants to look at the video out of morbid curiosity, but not wanting to give the thing a click/view and then seeing the responses in the thread have told me to not.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I was enjoying this video until the end when he said that Nintendo will ride out the Switch wave and then just get out of the console business.

I do agree that Nintendo is appearing to be more conventionally "business driven" than in the past (DLCs, anti-consumer gestures, etc), but I think it's too early to say whether a "crash" is imminent. Maybe it's a good thing that Nintendo isn't trying to reinvent the wheel with future consoles.

Stick with the Switch as a platform and continue making exceptional games. It's worked out well for Sony with the Playstation, and Nintendo benefits from really having the console/hybrid market on lockdown.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I am gonna move past unreasonable arguments, you're surely correct that people make them. I am not arguing something unreasonable, however, so I don't entirely understand the framing of saying all discourse is unreasonable. If you are saying that because the video is making that point, then fair, the video sucks.

I would however say that charging $60 for a port is unethical by nature of it not being a new product, and does not take the same amount of development effort. Once again, gonna stay away from anti-consumer as it is not intended for use in the context herein.

Eh? I'm trying to find where I said all the discourse is unreasonable, because it definitely isn't. The problem is that a lot of it is, including some of the arguments made in the video.

I'm also not sure I can agree that charging $60 for a port of an old game is unethical, because it suggests the act selling the game for that price is morally reprehensible, which is a bit much.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
lol, yall back at GAF wanted Iwata fired everytime they had an underwhelming Direct

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
Tbh I don't think much of them. They make great games on a cool platform and I enjoy my time. I am a free simple man and that's all there is to it. If they're bad then i won't touch their hardware and software, which is not the case right now.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
The "well Nintendo didn't use CDs for N64 because they controlled cartridge production so they could charge royalties on cartridge production and wouldn't be able to do that with CDs" never really has made sense to me.

Nintendo is free to charge whatever royalty they want on even a CD system, if they were getting say $15/cartridge (some amount of that going to the cost of the cartridge) on the N64 + $8 licensing fee, they could just charge $8 licensing fee + $8 Nintendo tax for a CD and still make the same of more money because Nintendo themselves would only pay 5 cents for a CD.

Nintendo could have always just made a proprietary CD format, like the SNES CD was supposed to use caddies, they were not jut naked regular CD discs:

nintendodiscs.jpg

SNES-CD_add-on.jpg

Nintendo could've just made that a proprietary format and now as a 3rd party you can't just make your own N64 CD game at any random CD manufacturer because it would be a proprietary format.
They did eventually do this, btw. GCN, Wii, and Wii U are all proprietary formats.

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
Eh? I'm trying to find where I said all the discourse is unreasonable, because it definitely isn't. The problem is that a lot of it is, including some of the arguments made in the video.

I'm also not sure I can agree that charging $60 for a port of an old game is unethical, because it suggests the act selling the game for that price is morally reprehensible, which is a bit much.

But this is entirely my point, that discourse isn't reasonable to begin with
I took this to mean all discourse since you didn't specify other points that were reasonable. Regardless, if that wasn't your intent then that's fine.

Do you have a specific definition you are pulling because I don't know why it would suggest reprehensible, that is a bit much? Charging full price for a port is categorically unethical, the product is not the same as a full game yet is being monetized for the same amount.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They did eventually do this, btw. GCN, Wii, and Wii U are all proprietary formats.

Yeah so I don't really even see why this point keeps coming up again and again. It's not like even if the N64 used CDs, you could go down to the corner factory and have them print out some N64 CDs. Nintendo could've easily mandated a certain disc-spec that only they could manufacture and then charge whatever royalty they felt like charging.

I think for the SNES CD drive it was even supposed to have a chip inside the caddy so probably they could've locked out anyone trying to use a generic CD.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021
I took this to mean all discourse since you didn't specify other points that were reasonable. Regardless, if that wasn't your intent then that's fine.

Do you have a specific definition you are pulling because I don't know why it would suggest reprehensible, that is a bit much? Charging full price for a port is categorically unethical, the product is not the same as a full game yet is being monetized for the same amount.
No, it isn't categorically unethical.

They aren't forcing people to buy the port. If it is worth the price, people will buy it. It's their product, and they can price it how they want. That's it.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
What is up with these awful, ranting gaming YouTubers copying each other's annoying voice tone and cadence?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo under Iwata was way better. Companies are more than a single person though so I'm sure it's not forever. Or it is, and they're ruined forever (wouldn't be the first time a change in leadership tanked a company).

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
Nintendo under Iwata was way better. Companies are more than a single person though so I'm sure it's not forever. Or it is, and they're ruined forever (wouldn't be the first time a change in leadership tanked a company).
Lolno it wasn't. 3rd party relations were absolutely awful. The switch compared is flooded.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not "categorically unethical" to sell a remaster or port for full price, what the hell are you on about? You have every right to be frustrated at Nintendo's console pricing strategy, but it is NOT unethical.

An actual practice within the industry that can easily be argued to be unethical is creating games for children full of microtransactions, which exploit minors who aren't capable of fully grasping concepts like money and self control. I'm not really privy to Nintendo's mobile business, but if games like Mario Kart Tour operate in this fashion (I genuinely have no idea), the argument regarding ethics has some merit.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo getting out of their own way hardware and Nvidia basically taking over their hardware is the best thing to happen to Nintendo in a long time.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

categorically unethical? Man...some of you guys make the worst statements.

The product is still a full game btw? Ports aren't half of the game.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
An actual practice within the industry that can easily be argued to be unethical is creating games for children full of microtransactions, which exploit minors who aren't capable of fully grasping concepts like money and self control.
This.

Nintendo is selling a clear (and generally high quality) product for a clearly labeled price. There is nothing unethical about that. If you think that price is too high for what you are getting you absolutely should not pay it, but it's not at all unethical for Nintendo to charge whatever price they want for their own goods. Video games are a pure luxury, they are not food or medicine or anything else where ethics would actually come into play pricing-wise.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Also this is only tangentially related to this thread, but gamers be like "I'm sick of these companies being unethical, now watch this video where Ben Shapiro proves that unregulated capitalism is a good thing".

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
alternatively, with the new Pikmin thing Nintendo has literally spent decades just trying to get people to walk more. hey you with the video game, how about some steps please

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I think where a lot of people need to start at as a default is "corporations are not your friends."

Like, Nintendo selling a WiiU port at full price on the Switch isn't evil; it sucks for buyers but they're trying to run a business not a charity.

With all that said, one can just as easily say "yo these price increases suck" because... well, it kinda does for me as a purchaser; why the fuck should I feel grateful that this business can try to fleece more money from me? It's not like those added funds are going to do much but line Bobby Kotick's pockets a little more.

but in those situations, you try to vote with your wallet. Yeah I'm not entitled to certain prices or whatever, but that doesn't mean that I need to just sit here and think "this is a good thing for us" when it probably isn't . And you keep escalating from there the worse it gets depending on the situation (like loot boxes, or gachas going after whales hard, or pay2win in multiplayer, etc etc)

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
That's a stretch. Nintendo brings joy to millions. Think you're looking for EA or some other company that rhymes with phony :)

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo isn't evil, they're just frustrating with their prices. This isn't particularly new. They've always kept games close to their original price point. I've yet to really see New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe around $20 and so I'll probably never buy it and that's perfectly fine. Same for Super Paper Mario or Mario Tennis Aces. Those are all games I can't bring myself to pay over $20 for and Nintendo will never drop those games that low and that is perfectly fine. It just means I'll never play them.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely the worst policies out of the console companies

You have Sony charging games for $70

Shutting the 3 storefronts on their legacy console and redesigning their web store to exclude those system(Like why is Nintendo the only one able to create a web store and include Wii U, 3DS and Switch games? You have to use the old Xbox Marketplace to purchase 360 games)

And shutting down studios and game servers despite paying PS+

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
Flooded with old PS360 ports, cool I guess? Third party exclusives, a huge part of DS/3DS are way down.
It has both old and new. No need to discredit the other. Fact it's got witcher 3, both doom's, spyro and crash etc is more than nintendo could ever ask for in the Iwata era. No disrespect I loved the man, but relations weren't at their best. Iwata nintendo missed out on a lot even the smaller games. Some games even come out first on switch like the panzer dragoon remake and grandia 1&2. It's the kind of stuff that makes switch great.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Official Staff Communication
This video has a clickbait title and doesn't seem to offer enough of substance to discuss beyond console war fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.