• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.bbc.com

Katie Mack: 'Knowing how the universe will end is freeing'

Astrophysicist Katie Mack has been researching The End of Everything.

Terms like "heat death", "big rip" and "vacuum decay" don't sound all that inviting. And they aren't. They describe a few of the theories scientists have about how our universe will one day die. But when cosmologist Katie Mack thinks about the end of everything, it gives her peace. "There's something about acknowledging the impermanence of existence that is just a little bit freeing," she tells Radio 1 Newsbeat. I'd be willing to bet there aren't many people who feel that way - but even for Katie, it's not quite as simple as it sounds.

Katie can still remember vividly when she first realised the universe could end at any moment. "I was sitting on Professor Phinney's living room floor with the rest of my undergraduate astronomy class for our weekly dessert night, while the professor sat with his three-year-old daughter on his lap," she writes in her new book, The End of Everything. She learned that scientists have no idea why the early universe expanded in the way it did - what's called cosmic inflation - and that means they also have no way of saying space won't start violently, rapidly ripping apart again at any moment.

full_jpg.jpg

Simple words like "heat death" are easy to understand - and that's good, because it's the most likely way our universe will come to an end. "It's where the universe just expands and expands and cools, and everything kind of decays and fades away," Katie says, admitting that it's not the "most exciting possibility".

It's big thoughts like these that Katie thinks can offer us a "sense of perspective". "A lot of aspects of modern life are designed around trying to convince us that we are totally safe, protected, and in control of everything around us. And that's just not true. Obviously there's a whole situation in the world right now driving that home. "But cosmically speaking as well we're just kind of out there in this universe and we have to accept what it gives us."

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the universe ends suddenly would it be in an instant? We're seeing the past in the stars, right?

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How sad would it be that it's a reverse theory of us being the first advancing civilization and we are just the last one left before the universe dies?

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Honeslty, the thought of what comes after the end frightens me more than anything

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honeslty, the thought of what comes after the end frightens me more than anything
It's a similar feeling to pondering what non-existence is. Not just your own post-life non-existence, but what if the universe didn't exist in the first place? Think about it enough and you can feel the void.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
It's a similar feeling to pondering what non-existence is. Not just your own post-life non-existence, but what if the universe didn't exist in the first place? Think about it enough and you can feel the void.
Yup. And even the idea that non-existence might not be permanent fucks me up. Where is all of this going?

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Also like the article says most probable thing will be that the universe's heat just fades, atoms eventually wont be able to hold together and be too weak, collapse and then maybe we then get another Big Bang billions of years later and everything resets.

Cool thing is if we can live as a civilzation till this moment, we prob will be advanced enough to avoid this fate and move between universes if multiple universes exist. We are talking an incredibly long time till this happens, we are talking 100 duodecillion years

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
We restart the game.

I don't think this is the first time either, we could of run through this universal game multiple times for all we know, and the fact the end doesn't really mean the end is crazy. In large enough scale, this reality is infinite. Just imagine if our race eventually pushes further out in the universe to discover neighboring universes.

Another cool thought is that scenario from the cosmos. Where we could very well be in a black hole, and black hole could of started a big bang which was in another black hole, kind of like stacking dolls. Astrophysics is just so cool

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Also like the article says most probable thing will be that the universe's heat just fades, atoms eventually wont be able to hold together and be too weak, collapse and then maybe we then get another Big Bang billions of years later and everything resets.

Cool thing is if we can live as a civilzation till this moment, we prob will be advanced enough to avoid this fate and move between universes if multiple universes exist. We are talking an incredibly long time till this happens, we are talking 100 duodecillion years
I think I remember reading there is no way around this fate. No information can survive the heat death.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
We restart the game.
This is not what heat death is though. as I understand it, it is the literal permanent end to everything - matter and energy, and life of course long long before. No second go at it. Existence had one shot. It's a fairly dark chasm into which to gaze.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Complete nothingness, devoid of light, and even the passage of time has halted. This is how the world ends. A world which has reached the end of time. People may struggle all they like, but the outcome will not change. Surely even you understand this. Hope and possibility are nothing but fleeting dreams glimpsed at the doorstep of this nothingness. Illusions that offer no comfort. They lead people astray and create meaningless conflict."

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
nothing in this universe can, but what if we can travel beyond it?
here's a bit of a bold statement: I believe virtually any thing the universe has to offer in terms of human experiences could be experienced within some small fraction of the milky way. Including alien life and epic interstellar adventure. Traveling to the next galaxy might seem interesting, until you reach intergalactic space and realize that there are trillions of galaxies out there. Where do you even go? But more importantly what of interest could you find there? It's just another galaxy with 150 billion stars, just like the one you came from.
One of the defining characteristics of the universe is that it is actually very uniform. Going to another galaxy won't really change anything.

I realized this when I first played Space Engine(which is a physically modeled procedural universe simulation) in VR. Something about the visceral experience of seeing it in real VR 3D changed my perspective. I flew out of the milky way and I was excited to leave but then my digital eyes adjusted to the exposure and I saw that there were even more tiny lights in the sky than before. Every single one of them a galaxy with billions of stars. Going to anyone of them and expecting something different would be like picking a random grain of sand on the beach and expecting it to be meaningfully different from the rest. It all seemed very pointless to me.

If the beyond is just another continuation of human existence then that's also like finding another grain of sand on the beach.

i think Big Crunch is the less likely scenario though given everything is accelerating away from everything else.

yes. isnt multiverse theory still controversial though?
I think the issue is rather that the multiverse doesn't imply that you can travel between universes. You are stuck where you are.

Last edited:

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
We don't 'know' the universe will end. Heat death and whatever else are theories. There's no way we'll ever know something like this with certainty.

Or consider it this way, there can't really be an 'end' to everything. If the universe ends, there can't be nothing because it would just reduce everything to one thing. The lack of everything still leaves something because that lack becomes something - nothingness can't truly happen.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Isn't there a hypothesis that universes that blossom galaxies are in the death throes of its life?

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
If the universe ends suddenly would it be in an instant? We're seeing the past in the stars, right?
We're seeing the past in the stars because it takes time for their light to reach us.

Whether a "sudden" end to the universe would be in an instant depends on how sudden the "sudden" is.
The vacuum decay phenomena would potentially give zero advance warning, since the vacuum decay could basically travel at the speed of light. The event itself could be moving toward us just as rapidly as information about the event is moving toward us. In this scenario, you'd basically instantly stop existing, and there would be no warning.
It's a harrowing thought! But then, a drunk driver can also inflict sudden unexpected death upon you, and the likelihood of something like this happening is astronomically less negligible. And this applies to all kinds of other earthly phenomena. The reality is that human beings aren't invincible and there are all kinds of things outside of our control.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
Time for your evening dose of existentialism.

OKAY OKAY HEAR ME OUT. I HAVE ZERO QUALIFICATIONS ON THE MATTER BUT HERE GOES.....

what if eventually the ever expanding "dead" universe with dark matter expands soooooooooooooooooooooo much that its "edge" collides with another ever expanding "dead" universe both accelerating at speeds so high then shit happens cuz dark matter n shit......what if tho
tenor.gif

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reading this threading is making me feel the dread of my own existence. Living inside a black hole is a... terrifying thought for no particular reason.

I'm mainly just afraid of death.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

That's a great way to explain it. When I'm thinking about it I always hit this weird spot where like I'm physically repulsed from thinking on it anymore.

Anthanes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
idk why but topics like this makes me want to do more with my life. If we were to all die tomorrow, did I live my life the best I could? Hell no I didn't.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
idk why but topics like this makes me want to do more with my life. If we were to all die tomorrow, did I live my life the best I could? Hell no I didn't.

I can't see it that way. Whether you lived up to some kind of expectation won't matter when you're dead because well, you're not afforded hindsight.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It's big thoughts like these that Katie thinks can offer us a "sense of perspective". "A lot of aspects of modern life are designed around trying to convince us that we are totally safe, protected, and in control of everything around us. And that's just not true. Obviously there's a whole situation in the world right now driving that home. "But cosmically speaking as well we're just kind of out there in this universe and we have to accept what it gives us."

Maybe if someone is considering the entire universe, but if you're just factoring the Earth? Not at all. Not only do we have arsenals controlled by unstable people that could decimate the entire planet (and escalating by the day worldwide), do we have a plan in place to stop the next huge meteor that might hit too? Or is our hubris so high that we assume that we'll have "years" of advanced warning to come up with a solution as needed?

I can't see it that way. Whether you lived up to some kind of expectation won't matter when you're dead because well, you're not afforded hindsight.

Right. There's no one left to view any potential legacy.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
The whole of that timelapse is absolutely stunning. It manages to be so compelling despite the scale of it all being so impossible to fathom.

That one part in particular, when our sun dies, is like the first really inconceivable event for us, living as we do now, and those passing "moments" of silence - watching time tick by in the billions of years to follow - is utterly profound.

And that's just the first 3 minutes of the video...

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll either have gone extinct or evolved into something far beyond what we are today long before the sun goes kaput.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
For me the big crunch makes the most sense. If the universe collapsed in on itself, it might trigger a second big bang and start expanding again. If expansion and collapse of the universe is a periodic process, you can explain why universal constants are so perfect without needing a multiverse theory, as well as the origin of the big bang itself.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I think that video takes the theory of Hawking's "exploding black holes" a bit too literally.

Anthanes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm for me it's different I guess. It's all internal expectations for myself, almost like having a bucket list. On my death bed, I want to look back and be glad that I was alive during the special moments that I've had. Being dead is inevitable so it makes me not take life for granted so much?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Instant in the sense you could potentially have no warning, sure, if whatever mechanism causes it is transmitted at light speed you wouldn't be able to see it coming.

It wouldn't be instant over the whole universe though, it would take at least 93 billion years , which is the size (93 billion light years) of the observable universe for us from wherever the process starts.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm for me it's different I guess. It's all internal expectations for myself, almost like having a bucket list. On my death bed, I want to look back and be glad that I was alive during the special moments that I've had. Being dead is inevitable so it makes me not take life for granted so much?

A lot of people don't get to have the cliche "death bed" self reflection moment. Either they die suddenly, in pain, or they're old and their mind is going on them and they're not remembering anything right.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Has anyone here been ridiculously afraid of death and found a way to cope with the thought? I legitimately find the thought of myself dying to be the scariest thing ever, it gives me anxiety just to read this thread. The thought of me one day being in a hospital bed knowing it's almost my time just sends a cold pain through me. I truly believe I would choose to live forever if it were possible.

Jun 10, 2018
As a subscriber to the closed looped universe theory, knowing (or rather, believing) how the universe will end only to restart again in one of an infinite number of possibilities renders "living" kind of pointless. I actively keep myself plugged in to the arbitrary value of society because doing otherwise would allow the underlying myopia to sink in.

On the "bright" side, I'll exist again someday in the future. Don't know how many revolutions it will take to get there, or whether my existence will be in the exact timeline as this one, but another version of me will be back.

Oct 25, 2017
As a subscriber to the closed looped universe theory, knowing (or rather, believing) how the universe will end only to restart again in one of an infinite number of possibilities renders "living" kind of pointless. I actively keep myself plugged in to the arbitrary value of society because doing otherwise would allow the underlying myopia to sink in.

On the "bright" side, I'll exist again someday in the future. Don't know how many revolutions it will take to get there, or whether my existence will be in the exact timeline as this one, but another version of me will be back.
Yeah, but restarting requires each loop to happen the exact same each time. As someone who was an accident, I don't like those odds. It also require some people to be doomed to repeat very miserable lives.

Jun 10, 2018
Yeah, but restarting requires each loop to happen the exact same each time. As someone who was an accident, I don't like those odds. It also require some people to be doomed to repeat very miserable lives.
Oh I know - there is a very real possibility myself and none of my siblings would exist at all in other iterations of this universe if my mother chooses to accept and pursue her repressed lesbian sexuality. Or, in another sense, if my mom chooses to marry the fiance she had at the time instead of my dad.

And that's just examining the fundamental factors which led about to our existence even occurring, let alone other factors pre and post-birth which have no doubt influenced the outcomes of our lives. Essentially there are infinite incarnates of this universe, a percentage of which share possibilities and events despite differences in the timeline, and another percentage where we don't exist at all. We just happen to be living in one version of it, and once we expire we'll have no recollection of previous cycles other than the temporal deja Vu indicating of the most oft repeated occurrences across multiple timelines.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Won't we just wake up next to a campfire?

Related: You should read Isaac Asimov's short story "The Last Question", if you haven't already.