• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
In fighting games does anyone else kinda scratch their head when you get a K.O. in a fighting game by sweeping their leg?

I know it's just a game, but do any of you find this strange? Like an enemy touching you and Mario which somehow shrinks or kills you.

Does there need to be a more realistic damage system in a fighting game (not to all fighting games)?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
In fighting games does anyone else kinda scratch their head when you get a K.O. in a fighting game by sweeping their leg?

I know it's just a game, but do any of you find this strange? Like an enemy touching you and Mario which somehow shrinks or kills you.

Does there need to be a more realistic damage system in a fighting game (not to all fighting games)?
Knock out doesn't have to mean you're unconcious, only that you are unable to continue fighting.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm a professional Muay Thai fighter (no it's not my main job), and I promise you that can definitely KO someone with a leg kick. To be more realistic, you could have a different health bars for different parts of the body, but that could quickly get clunky.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think it's even funnier when a light punch sends you to your doom. It's like tickling someone and he just falls over. dead.
A more realistic damage system would just make those games way less fun to play. Because as soon as you're hurt you can't defend yourself that well anymore

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
You cannot implement a feature like "damage to the leg takes XXX amount of your lifebar and damage to the head takes more, because it's like that in real life". This is video games we're talking about.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I have never played the UFC games by EA, but I thought they seemed quite realistic as a streamer showed a real UFC fight while pretenting to play the game*. Are they realistic when it comes to the stoppage? You can stop someone with a single blow to the chin or the liver for example...

*to bypass the diffusion rights. That was hilarious.
iJSjLEaQvK6U9bjgh4AqUB-650-80.jpg

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Spoken like someone who hasn't really been kicked in the leg. It can definitely take you out of a fight real quick

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
All the blows to the legs in fighting games I can think of are sweeps. Getting Knocked Out due to falling on your ass/head makes sense to me.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is one of those things were you're bound to notice the unrealistic nature of it eventually but I at least can look past it as long as I'm having fun. Like I *know* that the hammer blow to the foot of the Rathalos I last hunted in MHW shouldn't have killed it rather than the huge swing on its head but I also know that I'm playing a video game in my room so it's not a big deal. I'm just happy for a hunt well done.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edson Barboza's a motherfucker.

barboza-lullo-gif.gif

EDIT - Also, I guess it would be a TKO, not a KO.

MongKey

Oct 29, 2017
I have never played the UFC games by EA, but I thought they seemed quite realistic as a streamer showed a real UFC fight while pretenting to play the game*. Are they realistic when it comes to the stoppage? You can stop someone with a single blow to the chin or the liver for example...

They do have a somewhat realistic damage system in the UFC game. Each body parts (head, arms, legs, body) have their own damage indicator and they are also divided into more specific parts for example, the body is divided into the stomach and liver. As you repeatedly damage a certain part, it will affect the fighter themselves, for example, repeatedly hitting the shins will make the slower and starts tip-toeing around because of the pain. If the opponent doesn't protect or cover the damaged shin then the ref will sometime ask for stoppage to check up on it or they get knocked out because of the pain. It's a pretty neat system and yes, a well timed hit does results in higher damage with a chance to KO; even leg kicks.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Of course you can implement just that. Doesn't mean it automatically makes sense of course.
I know a bunch of people who would not be happy about that. In fact, I don't see how any fighting game enthusiast would accept such a feature. Something like that would cause a riot among Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive, etc... communities.

I could see it work in an MMA simulation however.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I came into this thread looking for Edson Barboza. Good job ERA.

I think he has had two fights end by TKO leg kicks.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
On MGO2 you could kill people by stabbing their toes.
They'd take a handful of bullets, but a slashed toe was fatal.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Growing up I would purposely end fights in SF2 with a crouching Short because it looked funny. But to answer your question, nah fighting games are fine the way they are. But if somebody wants to make a new game with a more realistic damage system knock yourself out. See what I did?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Come to The Netherlands and join a kickboxing lesson. We'll show you how effective lowkicks can be, haha.
Seriously though, it's a game..... You take damage.
But in real life you can definitely end fights with low-kicks.

Edson Barboza's a motherfucker.

barboza-lullo-gif.gif

EDIT - Also, I guess it would be a TKO, not a KO.
This is mostly because his feet aren't touching the ground when he gets kicked. He was already jumping in that direction.
He isn't kicking him so hard that he flies away, haha. Also, he's kicking him with is foot. A good kick is hitting with your shin. Or else you can easily break your foot.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

You have to damage the body or leg a lot first to get a stoppage through them in the games. A single punch to the head can knock you out, even the very first one but more likely to stun or just knock you on your arse which you can just stand right back up from, all 3 are pretty rare though.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Point of a joint lock is always the break. If a fighter senses that they tap out because a bad break can END a career.
Likewise a leg kick can literally cripple an opponent and end their career so yes leg kick KO is a very real and honestly likely event.

Buakaw proves that if you pummel a leg they can't walk, stand or defend themselves properly as their balance and movement is inhibited. Also a solid kick to the artery in the thigh enough can lead to massive damage and clots and muscle tearing. All of these things means a fighter has to go down unable to continue the fight. Plus it only takes about 10 lbs to snap a joint or certain bones. Kicks delivered to a locked knee can result in the kind of career ending knee injuries that are commonly seen in sports like football. On top of that is pain...an untrained or poorly conditioned leg struck hard across the shin is like lightning through your nervous system. Ever wonder why the old shin kick gag is so common in shows and animated things? Because we all know it doesn't take much to make it hurt there and it takes a lot of bone conditioning to be ready for solid leg strikes.

Martial arts isn't what people think. Theres things built for show and things built to go. A real fight is often dull and not much of a spectacle in martial arts because its efficient. I'd suggest Muay Thai STRONGLY to the op as something to reference. Try that Buakaw guy I mentioned. You'll see some fights where guys just have to go down limping from the leg kicks he inflicts or face potential career ending breaks or muscle ligament tears.

Last edited:

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come to The Netherlands and join a kickboxing lesson. We'll show you how effective lowkicks can be, haha.
Seriously though, it's a game..... You take damage.
But in real life you can definitely end fights with low-kicks.

This is mostly because his feet aren't touching the ground when he gets kicked. He was already jumping in that direction.
He isn't kicking him so hard that he flies away, haha. Also, he's kicking him with is foot. A good kick is hitting with your shin. Or else you can easily break your foot.
I mean yeah, he then continued to kick the shit out his legs. That's just a sweet gif. I think Barboza knows what a proper leg kick is.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they are dumb questions. I think it's good world-building.
To an extent. It's probably good for a writer to work out how Batman juggles the responsibilities of his 2 personas. Nothing is gained by coming up with a bullshit explanation of how a neigh impervious alien with other alien powers is able to fly

Nov 17, 2017
FrayedWhisperedAntbear-size_restricted.gif

What throws me off more is how characters can juggle entire human bodies with simple punches and kicks. The more realistic looking the characters are, the more I notice it haha