• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Eldest daughter picked this for movie night. Pretty good, not sublime. The story inflection with the car chase took it out of its element into something rather mundane for a bit, felt like a missed opportunity. Was waiting for a third swerve at the end, also, the direct line to Ransom felt a little too pat. The lie was telegraphed hard.

I get that they made fun of Craig's accent but it didn't make it seem any less out of place in all the other performances. This plus De Caprio in Once Upon a Time, it was the season of well regarded actors doing hack voice work.

Nazis masturbating in bathrooms will be a meme in the household for a while.

JGL cameo was cute.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
I actually finally started watching Columbo, as I had only ever gotten to see random episodes here and there, since this movie has scratched my whodunnit itch, and Columbo is such a great character. I'm only 2 episodes into season 1, but it's such a good show, and Peter Falk is so damn good as Columbo.

Blanc reminds me more of Poirot than Columbo, so if you haven't watched that series you may want to check it out.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Um well yeah that definitely jumped into one of my favorite movies of the past few years. Damn. Definitely buying the BluRay.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Managed to watch this recently, I saw some people complain that it's just a high budget typical who-done-it or whatever but I kinda liked that.

Only shame is that a good chunk of the central cast was sorta pushed to the side halfway through.

Oct 26, 2017
I just picked up the bluray, which unfortunately had no extra materials whatsoever. Anyway, the movie was great. I loved how they did away with the mystery early on and transitioned into being worried about Marta and the thrill of her trying to dodge the detective. I also liked how the flashbacks were in fact accurate, except for a few minor details. They didn't show us a fake version of how he died, for example.

I found it very touching that, upon learning that he was dying (or so he thought) he spent his final minutes conjuring up a complex plan to try to keep Marta safe, and didn't hesitate to kill himself for it. He can be forgiven for forgetting about the toxicology, since he was assuming that his plan would make the suicide the obvious explanation, and there wouldn't have been a detective there if Ransom hadn't meddled. It's also quite in character as an eccentric novellist. Eccentric as in the type of person who makes a huge Chekhov's knife artpiece in his livingroom.

I also liked how there wasn't any fake drama with trying to convince Blanc of the actual truth, he just went "nah, I know that already". And he turned out to be a good guy when, in the middle, he was set up as an antagonist to Marta. It kind of reminds me of The Fugitive, although it was presented better here since we don't see him on his own that much, so the twist doesn't contradict what he's been doing.

Finally, I liked all the actors and the little touches. I assume that Harlan knew that Richard would try to stop the letter from being found, so he used invisible ink, which he knew Linda would know about. She didn't appear to find out by accident. So he obviously trusted her intelligence. The menace of Walt in that corridor was splendid. Did anyone else think he looked a lot like Old Luke? I think Mark could have played the role really well. The character of the alt-right son was really spot on too. He didn't need any more explanation, just another variety of shithead in the family, and one who could definitely grow up to outshit them all. That "anchor baby" remark really, really stung. I wasn't really familiar with the english expression but I hear similar things so often about refugees.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just picked up the bluray, which unfortunately had no extra materials whatsoever. Anyway, the movie was great. I loved how they did away with the mystery early on and transitioned into being worried about Marta and the thrill of her trying to dodge the detective. I also liked how the flashbacks were in fact accurate, except for a few minor details. They didn't show us a fake version of how he died, for example.

I found it very touching that, upon learning that he was dying (or so he thought) he spent his final minutes conjuring up a complex plan to try to keep Marta safe, and didn't hesitate to kill himself for it. He can be forgiven for forgetting about the toxicology, since he was assuming that his plan would make the suicide the obvious explanation, and there wouldn't have been a detective there if Ransom hadn't meddled. It's also quite in character as an eccentric novellist. Eccentric as in the type of person who makes a huge Chekhov's knife artpiece in his livingroom.

I also liked how there wasn't any fake drama with trying to convince Blanc of the actual truth, he just went "nah, I know that already". And he turned out to be a good guy when, in the middle, he was set up as an antagonist to Marta. It kind of reminds me of The Fugitive, although it was presented better here since we don't see him on his own that much, so the twist doesn't contradict what he's been doing.

Finally, I liked all the actors and the little touches. I assume that Harlan knew that Richard would try to stop the letter from being found, so he used invisible ink, which he knew Linda would know about. She didn't appear to find out by accident. So he obviously trusted her intelligence. The menace of Walt in that corridor was splendid. Did anyone else think he looked a lot like Old Luke? I think Mark could have played the role really well. The character of the alt-right son was really spot on too. He didn't need any more explanation, just another variety of shithead in the family, and one who could definitely grow up to outshit them all. That "anchor baby" remark really, really stung. I wasn't really familiar with the english expression but I hear similar things so often about refugees.
Which Blu-ray is that? I'm sure mine has at least two commentary tracks, among other special features.

Glad you enjoyed the movie so much!

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nordic language edition. Subtitles only, obviously.
Oh that's a shame. The American release has quite a few special features. Most you can find on YouTube, I think but I'm not sure if they're region locked :(

You might be able to easily listen to this free commentary track, though. Rian recorded it to be released while the movie was still in theaters. The intention was that people might rewatch Knives Out while listening to the track on their phones. It's one of the two commentaries on the US disc and it's a pretty good commentary, I think.

knivesout.movie

Knives Out – Official Movie Site - In Theaters November 27, 2019

When renowned crime novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) is found dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday, the inquisitive and debonair Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) is mysteriously enlisted to investigate. From Harlan’s dysfunctional family to his devoted staff, Blanc...
(It may take a second for the page to transition from ad to the official download.)

If that's region locked and you'd like to have the commentary track, let me know and I can get you that file.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Watched it a few weeks back.

Good film. Basically a Columbo movie more than anything. On one hand I do wish we had gotten a straight forward who-dunnit movie as there aren't many of them anymore but it was still fantastic either way. Really made you sit on the edge of your seat in worry for her.

Only issue is less to do with this film and more the upcoming bond movie. I believe Ana is gonna be a bond girl in it, can't imagine comfortably seeing her and Craig with that sort of dynamic now after the one they have in this film.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it, now help me decide if I liked it.

On one hand it's a pretty solid movie and I liked discovering the whole thing at the end with all the twists.

On the other hand : how the fuck was I supposed to find the culprit ? I really feel the indications were too scarce (or non-existent ?).
Were there any clue ? Were they too subtle ? Am I a dum dum ?

Until the very end I still had my very simple theory : the missing antidote was too big a red flag, someone had definitely tampered with the whole medicine bag.
Harlan did it, administered himself with the stolen antidote and would have appeared at the very end with a good laugh (this is the part where you tell me it's been everyone's theory I guess : o).
Clearly there was something with Ransom : appears as a good guy constantly, yet those who knows him best, his family, parents included, seem to despise him ?
I thought he was an "in" on the joke, an accomplice of Harlan.

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
i just saw this. I thought it was obvious who did it not because of anything in the plot but because they wouldn't cast someone as big as Chris Evans and not give him one of the biggest roles, so obviously the villain. Kind of predictable otherwise too but enjoyable. Daniel Craig's accent was terrible, waffled between British and Foghorn Leghorn wannabe but then after reading everyone saying it was deliberate, I guess I can see that and it works.

At the end though I'm still not 100% convinced Marta didn't plan it all out. They made it a point several times that while Ransom was great at go, she was even better. So she was capable of outsmarting him and outplanning him is how I took it, and her looking smug on the balcony at the end made it even more suspect. I guess that would mess up some of the social commentary though so I'm probably wrong.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
i just saw this. I thought it was obvious who did it not because of anything in the plot but because they wouldn't cast someone as big as Chris Evans and not give him one of the biggest roles, so obviously the villain. Kind of predictable otherwise too but enjoyable. Daniel Craig's accent was terrible, waffled between British and Foghorn Leghorn wannabe but then after reading everyone saying it was deliberate, I guess I can see that and it works.

At the end though I'm still not 100% convinced Marta didn't plan it all out. They made it a point several times that while Ransom was great at go, she was even better. So she was capable of outsmarting him and outplanning him is how I took it, and her looking smug on the balcony at the end made it even more suspect. I guess that would mess up some of the social commentary though so I'm probably wrong.
A few things that go against your Marta theory is that she throws up any times she tells a lie and she is a kind-hearted person that even tried to save Fran's life (whom Ransom admitted to trying to kill) when she was the only one who had seen the toxicology report. Also she was about to confess to Harlan's family to killing him accidentally since she felt it was the right thing to do. She also did multiple things that potentially almost got her caught, like turning off the road in front of the camera, breaking the trellis while climbing it and leaving behind the evidence, and walking through the mud on the way back to the house.

I think you just completely read too much into the ending, which I took as her potentially helping out the family, but flipping the dynamics, which is where the "my house, my rules" coffee mug comes into play.

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
A few things that go against your Marta theory is that she throws up any times she tells a lie and she is a kind-hearted person that even tried to save Fran's life (whom Ransom admitted to trying to kill) when she was the only one who had seen the toxicology report. Also she was about to confess to Harlan's family to killing him accidentally since she felt it was the right thing to do. She also did multiple things that potentially almost got her caught, like turning off the road in front of the camera, breaking the trellis while climbing it and leaving behind the evidence, and walking through the mud on the way back to the house.

I think you just completely read too much into the ending, which I took as her potentially helping out the family, but flipping the dynamics, which is where the "my house, my rules" coffee mug comes into play.

Yeah I'm sure I did. She was pretty good at getting around the vomiting thing though. I think I was just hoping for yet another twist. The movie has more meaning played straight anyway, I suppose.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017

I don't want to believe Marta planned it all, but yeah I could almost buy it

One thing I've never seen addressed, the flam lady comes up to check on them after the old guy "knocks over the go board", but when Daniel Craig knocks it over it lands on the rug and barely makes a noise at all.

So what really made that loud sound?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Watched it the other night. I enjoyed it but I don't think it's nearly as clever as many critics are making it out to be. The actual events of the film aren't complicated, they're just presented that way by the script. Almost every character was irrelevant to the events in the film. I know he was subverting our expectations and so on, but I didn't find the "mystery" (such as it was) particularly engaging.

Also, I wish filmmakers would just cast people who have the accent they want, rather than getting someone like Daniel Craig to do a terrible imitation of a Southern drawl. He's not even a particularly good actor, and I doubt many people see films because of his name on the poster.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019

One thing I've never seen addressed, the flam lady comes up to check on them after the old guy "knocks over the go board", but when Daniel Craig knocks it over it lands on the rug and barely makes a noise at all.

Harlan trips Marta when she tries to go for the door to get help, which is what caused the thump that Joni heard.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017

Just put on my copy to check. Marta trips and falls on the floor while trying to save Harlan.

Also, I wish filmmakers would just cast people who have the accent they want, rather than getting someone like Daniel Craig to do a terrible imitation of a Southern drawl. He's not even a particularly good actor, and I doubt many people see films because of his name on the poster.

I always loved how cheesy and over the top his accent is. I think the idea is to be Inspector Clouseau levels of hammy and I think Craig did a great job.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Apologies for the bump, but I rewatched this the other night.

What a film.

It's great noticing the little details the second time too, such as the family all forgetting where Marta is from. I somehow missed that the first time.

Also I knew Steve Yedlin was a fantastic cinematographer, but the second watch really made me appreciate his work even further.