• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the movie. I'm already a fan of the classic murder mystery, but I love the way this movie was done. The twists, the comedy, the self-aware nature of the film, as well as all the little jabs at nazi/alt right/blood and soil shit.

Definitely want to see the sequel when it happens. Rian da goat.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Finally watched it the other day, loved it. Laughed hard when Craig was calmly gesticulating to pick up the phone during the chase lol. Probably my favorite scene

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
This was one of my favorite movies of the year, right next to Bong Joon-ho's Parasite, which is a very similar beast in how it kept me guessing and unrelentingly subverted my expectations scene after scene. One of the most cleverly written movies I've seen in a while, to be honest.

Oct 27, 2017
A really great film, neatly describing and explaining (albeit a bit too on the nose sometimes) the american socioeconomic divide. I think I might see it again.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Blu Ray is packed with extras:

EO7lVExVUAABWq9

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Just walked out of the theater. Been meaning to check it out but just never, had time to kill after work so checked it out and I thought it was great.

Here I was thinking what else is there after Marta confessed to what she thought she did but the movie kept going and got even better. Craig was just amazing, I've really only seen him in the Bond films but wow. Evans is such a cool guy and Cap so it was weird seeing him be a dick but it worked, the prop knife even came back in the end.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful movie. Played off of obvious cliches and assumptions brilliantly. Like, you assume the dude named ransom will be referenced and misinterpretted for punny twists sake. And it is, but the opposite of how you would assume.

Fully expected the ending to be harlan alive at the end, but the ending was so much better. It baits you with the out of nowhere prop knife obvious foreshadowing line. Thinking hes referencing the knife he killed himself with, just to use it as a gag in the final act.

Good stuff.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw it, and loved every second of it!
I love that even if you guess some things right, I doubt there's any way to guess too much.
What I did guess right was that Marta gave him the good medicine. Because Harlan said something like "oh that would be the perfect crime, if someone switched them, yada yada" so I thought someone did switch them and she actually gave him the right one (and honestly quite a while passed while she panicked, and then they talked about the plan to clear her name etc. and he didn't seem to have any symptoms). Even then, there was still a lot to uncover and it was a very enjoyable ride.

I loved the political commentaries too. Wasn't expecting to hear "alt-right troll" in that movie lol
Oh and Ana de Armas is great. For a while after Blade Runner I feared it would not be a big break for her but it seems she's fine and we'll keep seing her in more good movies.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Super film. While I always expected a final big twist, it did have me doubting by two thirds in and almost believing the first act twist was actually it and throwing the entire whodunnit on its head. About the only thing I did guess early on was that someone removed the antidote from the bag, so that was in the back of my mind, but turned out there was more to come.
Everyone clearly having a blast in this, and it's excellent to finally see Ana De Armas get the lead role instead of a (usually fanservice heavy) supporting role.

Roll on sequels.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw it. Fantastic film.

I kept thinking I had it all figured partway through but it kept going.

Funniest part was probably Daniel Craig's part about doughnut holes within doughnut holes. He stole every scene he was in.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The movie fell kind of flat for me. It was okay but I've liked Rian Johnson's previous films a lot more. Ana de Armas was great and most of the performances as well but I feel like the first half of the movie took too much time to set up the characters but only Marta and Ransom get anything of substance by the end. Benoit was just there to chew scenery and then explain everything at the end which I guess is just a trope of the genre. Daniel Craig was able to keep the character from being a prop at least. Chris Evans played the cocky dude he always played before Cap.

It was good but overrated and I'm surprised by its reception.

Oct 27, 2017
Such a good fucking movie.

Daniel Craig was brilliant in it. Had my theories that the movie brilliantly subverted and took in different directions.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Really good movie. I used to watch Columbo when I was little with my mom and this reminded me of that. I recommend fans of this watch some old Columbo. Maybe look up some lists of best episodes and check them out. I liked all the performances in this except Evans. I thought Evans was really weak. It's cool that they are making another one.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
This movie didn't work for me. The moment Marta mixed the two medicines, I figured that somehow the outcome was going to be that she didn't actually mixed them. It didn't happen directly, and it was fine that they did the switched, but switched back thing. So 30 min into the movie, I got the realization that I already knew what happened, but then the moment they show Chris Evans leaving suspiciously (upset) early, you know that he is going to be involved somehow.

For me, the movie felt like if someone spoiled it for me, telling me who the killer was, and I just watched it to know how he did it.

I don't know if this is intended, or if the medicine switch was supposed to be a shocking surprise, but to me it was pretty straight forward to figure it out.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
This movie didn't work for me. The moment Marta mixed the two medicines, I figured that somehow the outcome was going to be that she didn't actually mixed them. It didn't happen directly, and it was fine that they did the switched, but switched back thing. So 30 min into the movie, I got the realization that I already knew what happened, but then the moment they show Chris Evans leaving suspiciously (upset) early, you know that he is going to be involved somehow.

For me, the movie felt like if someone spoiled it for me, telling me who the killer was, and I just watched it to know how he did it.

I don't know if this is intended, or if the medicine switch was supposed to be a shocking surprise, but to me it was pretty straight forward to figure it out.

The movie is less of a whodunit than how-will-she?

In other words the focus is more on whether Marta will escape being convicted for murder (according to Rian). But then at the end it switches back to the howdunit part.

Rian references Hitchcock who said (paraphrasing) that suspense is more engaging than mystery. So the film was focused more on suspense, than the actual mystery.

Even if you guessed that Chris Evans switched the bottles and she didn't kill him, I'd be surprised if you were able to figure everything that Blanc spells out before he did.

I had guessed that the bottles were switched and Evans was likely involved, I didn't connect though the logical consequence though that would mean she didn't actually inject him with morphine.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it really matters in the end if you knew if the bottles got switched or not. That was just one of many aspects of the mystery and the plot on how Marta will get out of this situation, etc.

I wasn't really that engrossed in the mystery of the thing though and wanted more from the supporting characters.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched with the family - really enjoyed it. They play with your expectations just enough to make you doubt yourself. My wife and I figured the blank letter would be something written in lemon juice and I like how they just ignored it until the last moment as a little final thing.

i Didn't think it was Evans as he wasn't in the movie much and normally you're trying to unpick from all the characters and their interplay. and right until quite close to the end I was wondering if Marta might have done it somehow

was the baseball just nothing? They frame that notably in several scenes but I don't think it meant anything - nice red herring if so.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched with the family - really enjoyed it. They play with your expectations just enough to make you doubt yourself. My wife and I figured the blank letter would be something written in lemon juice and I like how they just ignored it until the last moment as a little final thing.

i Didn't think it was Evans as he wasn't in the movie much and normally you're trying to unpick from all the characters and their interplay. and right until quite close to the end I was wondering if Marta might have done it somehow

was the baseball just nothing? They frame that notably in several scenes but I don't think it meant anything - nice red herring if so.

Richard throws the baseball out after he breaks into the desk to find the letter revealing his affair (which he can't read due to the invisible ink). Linda ends up seeing the note because she returned the baseball to the desk, so Richard played himself

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I got the realization that I already knew what happened, but then the moment they show Chris Evans leaving suspiciously (upset) early, you know that he is going to be involved somehow.

I mean, it's a murder mystery. Every character has this scene in their own way. If anything, in my experience, a loud suspicious outburst is usually a red herring.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good news everyone, you can now buy the mug.

knivesoutshop.com

Lionsgate Shop

Shop official Knives Out merchandise, including the Knives Out coffee mug, shirts, movie posters, and more, at the one-and-only official Knives Out shop!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't Thrombey just walk downstairs and slit his throat in front of everyone?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved it. My only complaint is that the family, which is a fantastic ensemble cast, is largely put to the side by the half-way point of the film. Part of me wishes they would have had more involvement in Craig putting the final pieces together. But then again I think that's part of Johnson's mission to go in a different direction with the Whodonit genre with this film.

Also loved the ending with Ransom trying to kill Marta with a knife, calling back to Plummer's line earlier in the film:

"I could have been kinder to Linda or Ransom. Jesus, Ransom. There is so much of me in that kid. Confident, stupid, I don't know...protected. Playing life like a game without consequences...until you can't tell the difference between a stage prop and a real knife."

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I finally watched it on Tuesday while I was at home sick, and absolutely loved it. Great cast, funny dialogue, and a really fun take on the whodunnit genre.

I'm definitely in the camp that want more Benoit Blanc adventures, but I also think Marta is such an endearing character that she should be the Watson to his Holmes. Arma and Craig had great chemistry, and played off of each other so well, it would suck to lose her as a character.

But I also understand that it's more of a Benoit Blanc vehicle, so any sequel to Knives Out would probably shift away from Marta. I still think there's a way to have her assist Blanc on his cases.

I don't think the purpose of the movie was to be a pure whodunnit. I had Ransom pegged from the beginning, but especially when he convinced her to let him help her in the diner. I loved that they resolved how Harlan died so quickly, and shifted focus. Whodunnits have a very clear structure, and I'm so happy that Rian managed to give us our cake and eat it too. Comfort food classic whodunnit, but with added flavor in the form of a suspenseful thriller where we watch the "killer" try to avoid capture while also befriending the very detective who is supposed to bring them in. Such good stuff.

People make such a big deal of the alt right lambasting, but what I enjoyed the most was the absolute reaming Johnson gave supposed liberal and progressive "allies". I mean, the masturbating nazi is an easy target. We know we're supposed to boo them. The way Johnson highlighted how hypocritical, diet racist, condescending and patronizing so many people that claim to be true allies of marginalized groups was brilliant.

Don Johnson handing Marta the plate is such an amazing visual indicator of how much lip service is given to seeing one another as equals, but actions tell the tale so much more.

I can't wait to watch this movie again. There were a lot of things to pick up on, and I like that the movie gives you everything you need to piece the murder together, without withholding information for a last minute "gotcha!" or twist for the sake of a twist.

Like having Marta be a mastermind killer after all would have undercut so much of the underlying message about immigrants and their wanting to just live a better life and putting in the hard work to do it. Yeah, let's feed into the notion that immigrants are rapists and murderers by having our Cuban protagonist actually be a murderer. Yeah, no thanks. That ending was perfect.

I actually finally started watching Columbo, as I had only ever gotten to see random episodes here and there, since this movie has scratched my whodunnit itch, and Columbo is such a great character. I'm only 2 episodes into season 1, but it's such a good show, and Peter Falk is so damn good as Columbo.

Jan 18, 2018
The movie fell kind of flat for me. It was okay but I've liked Rian Johnson's previous films a lot more. Ana de Armas was great and most of the performances as well but I feel like the first half of the movie took too much time to set up the characters but only Marta and Ransom get anything of substance by the end. Benoit was just there to chew scenery and then explain everything at the end which I guess is just a trope of the genre. Daniel Craig was able to keep the character from being a prop at least. Chris Evans played the cocky dude he always played before Cap.

It was good but overrated and I'm surprised by its reception.
Because you didn't like it it's overrated and didn't deserve it's reception?

My fiance and I loved it. I don't really like a lot of movies these days, a lot of movies just stress me out. This movie was fun to watch and it got me super interested in film again. The cinematography was gorgeous.