• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
This is an absolutely wonderful film, probably Johnson's best, and I'm so glad I saw it in theatres. Fantastic script with a fantastic ensemble all knocking it out of the park. Somehow both subversive and yet a really solid Agatha Christie whodunit. The politics straight up rule.

My only real complaint is it was fairly obvious who did it early on, especially in the restaurant scene, but the obligatory "detective pieces it together" scene was so satisfying that I barely even consider it a flaw. The prop knife callback... whew. Hard to imagine this won't be my favourite movie of the year.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
LOVED this movie. The cast was solid. The pacing was great, and the writing was amazing. As said above the piecing it all together was so satisfying.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
You know, after Brick and The Brothers Bloom I was honestly expecting a more complicated twist. Right to the very end I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, looking for the the donut hole within a donut whole within a donut hole, thinking it can't possibly be this simple a mystery. I assumed we were *supposed* to think it was Ransom very early on, but that he was a red herring and there was a third layer to the mystery. So I was on the lookout for that the whole movie.

But you know what? Honestly, in reflection, I actually think it's kind of refreshing Johnson didn't take that route. He didn't try to force fit a triple twist for the sake of fooling the audience. It will probably make the movie a lot more re-watchable. It was absolutely gorgeous and the performances were stellar. I sort of hope there's a longer cut with more of the family because I could watch them fight all day.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
saw it yesterday, the theater started playing "hustlers" and i was like "huh, i guess this stripper will be something to do with Chris evans character?"

LOL

really like it, i need to see it again, ASAP.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got around to seeing this. Glad I went in blind. That was so good.

Rian has a good eye for shots and I hope he continues to make these smaller movies.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I honestly pray it's what they're setting up here.

Been a while since I've seen a good ol' bonafide mystery.
Rian said in an interview before the movie came out that if it did even just okay, he really wanted to bring back Craig to do another (and potentially even more). He's already got an idea and title in mind for the next one.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awww yeah, just saw it and this movie kicked total ass. Might be my favorite of the year, and my favorite RJ film, but it helps that I'm a big murder mystery fan. The character introductions were a bit slow, but once this thing got going, it got going!

Re: Thread title: now I understood that reference [/Chris Evans]

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Sign of a great movie is some jerk spoiled the ending before I saw it and it didn't ruin anything. Man Rian is such a gem.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Was looking at theater showtimes at the Metreon for tomorrow and all but one of the Knives Out showings are sold out. Good for Rian. Great movie to see with the fam.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If it weren't for Parasite this would be my number one field of the year. That said-it's very close. I loved every single second. 10/10

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Saw this and Cats today.

What a fucking movie. Masterclass in set up and payoff until the last frame, truly an achievement.

Oct 26, 2017
Good movie but I have a couple gripes with the logic of the plot, which are how did she not notice the blood on her shoe until the end and how would Chris Evans be able to kill her with the morphine if he had to inject her with it 10 minutes before?

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good movie but I have a couple gripes with the logic of the plot, which are how did she not notice the blood on her shoe until the end and how would Chris Evans be able to kill her with the morphine if he had to inject her with it 10 minutes before?

She was going thru grief and a panic trying to do the cover up as well as assist in the investigation.

Kill who?

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Catching up in my screeners and Gosh this was good, masterfully directed and acted. Please more of Craig as this character he looks like he's having a great time. He sadly won't get a trilogy but please give Rian carte Blanche with his own SW film

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
She was obfuscating a crime she didn't commit against a person who literally instructed her to get away with the crime.

She was not acting in bad faith lol

I mean, she was. It's still obstruction under the law. But, fuck the police. They were incompetent. Had she told them everything from the start she'd have been arrested and the real killer would've gone free.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Gonna need some time to process this one. Craig was excellent, and I love a good whodunnit, but I was expecting a far better twist. Like it gives you the swerve of showing the killer early on, so you think okay then there is gonna be something even bigger later on, it gives you the will so you think maybe that's the the real twist in that the 1st twist now makes total sense, and then it gives you the final twist and its like okay that's it? It goes up then down, then a little up and then crashes in expectations. I was expecting something far better, but for a classic setup it does its job flawlessly. So I guess that makes it a great film actually, cause it subverts your expectations for expecting something entirely new by giving you a perfect execution of a classic wealthy tycoon's will fuels thirsty as fuck relative to try and murder em. Fuck this movie has me conflicted.
Edit: Just saw the Double Toasted review, and I have to chime in that Evans was definitely the best part for me. People forget him pre Captain America it feels like sometime, but I'm glad he is kinda back. As they say in the review, he was America's Asshole here, but that always the case before the MCU. America's favorite Asshole is Evans at his peak, and I hope he does more roles like this.

Last edited:

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
That was at the quantity she injected him with, though. Surely there's a spectrum.
The medical stuff is basically completely nonsense, but that's ok because the rest of the movie is so fantastic. The weird thing is that the labels look pretty accurate. The problem is that morphine sulfate and toradol come in completely different dosing ranges and concentrations. While 3 milligrams of morphine IV is a reasonable dose, it would be basically impossible to fit 100 mg of morphine into the amount of fluid she injected him with (1.5 milliliters, as 2mg/ml is an accurate concentration of morphine for opioid naive people). The only way I can see her accidentally giving him 100mg of morphine is if she were hooking him up to a PCA pump with one of those big 50ml syringes and it somehow broke and dumped everything into his body by movie magic

On the other hand 100mg of toradol IV is a massive overdose, especially for a guy in his 80s with (probably) diminished renal function.

The symptoms Marta described were those of opioid induced respiratory depression, which are real. Morphine sulfate actually works pretty fast and the fact that Harlan wasn't immediately getting dizzy and feeling short of breath as they were talking would have been a pretty big indicator that she didn't give him an overdose of morphine. IV meds work fast. The hard numbers given were given becausea mystery movie needs to establish its rules.

Personally speaking wouldn't leave controlled substances hanging around in an unsecured bag like that but I've only been working as an RN for a few months. Home healthcare seems daunting as hell, though.

I finally got around to seeing this last night and I loved it. Medical stuff aside, the characters were fantastic and the editing stood out as well. I really loved how, as good hearted as Marta was, she wasn't "Bambi in the headlights" stupid, and she was smart and perceptive enough to pick up on the family turning on her and that she had the power now. And the social commentary was fantastically well done. I cracked up on "Nazi child joylessless masturbating in the bathroom" and the car chase was hilarious.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This and Ready or Not are fighting it out for my favorite movie of the year.

Ready or Not I hope has solid legs on streaming in years to come, it's really a great perfectly paced little romp

Stick Crawl in there and that's my top 3 of the year.

Doctor Sleep surprised me in terms of not being terrible also

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
'Either Marta or Ransom' but even before halfway through the film these are basically the only suspects the film intentionally leaves you with.
ya thats the problem. Only for a second did I think it could be the trashy mother and the college daughter. IDK I thought it was supposed to be harder, but this is the first "whodunit" I've seen.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finalllly got out to see this. Absolutely delightful movie. Expertly crafted and cut and I loved the tone of it. RJ just keeps on cranking out the hits.

Nyrad

Oct 27, 2017
What an magnificent movie with surprising performances. Rian Johnson stays on top!

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I thought of when I walked out was how Harlan's instructions to Marta matched Ransom's actions almost 100% and all I could think of was the mention of how so much Harlan saw of himself in Ransom. Like a "great minds think alike" type thing.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I thought of when I walked out was how Harlan's instructions to Marta matched Ransom's actions almost 100% and all I could think of was the mention of how so much Harlan saw of himself in Ransom. Like a "great minds think alike" type thing.
To be honest, there was a second where I thought Ransom was a good guy and was secretly writing Harlan's newer books.