• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Watched it tonight. RUIN Johnson did it AGAIN by making yet another fantastic film... arguably his best, I wanna say.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Very fun and clever movie... saw it in Toronto and will see it again this weekend.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just got out of an advance screening. This movie was fucking great. Probably the best Rian Johnson movie I've seen so far.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched. Superb film with some incredible jokes. Not really a huge twist or anything but the way the story is set up means it didn't need one.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was really excited going in and liked it but didn't love it.

As others have said the cast kind of disappeared and the various revelations weren't quite as slick as I expected from him. Commentary felt a bit... slight? too I guess.

Still an entertaining good time and really funny. Craig was terrific.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I was really excited going in and liked it but didn't love it.

As others have said the cast kind of disappeared and the various revelations weren't quite as slick as I expected from him. Commentary felt a bit... slight? too I guess.

Still an entertaining good time and really funny. Craig was terrific.

I almost think it's better in setup (which is insanely clever once you understand its twist on the formula) than in it its resolution.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I probably preferred Brick, tbh, but that's in no way a knock about this one.

Brick is the only one of his films I haven't seen, so I'm not gonna argue against that. I had a great damn time, though.

The donut monologue almost killed me. I audibly said "oh my fucking god" and the entire row around me heard me and started laughing.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Rian Johnson, noted hack who only makes great movies, just wrote and directed another great movie.

Brick is the only one of his films I haven't seen, so I'm not gonna argue against that. I had a great damn time, though.

The donut monologue almost killed me. I audibly said "oh my fucking god" and the entire row around me heard me and started laughing.
Brick is well worth seeing. I watched it again last year and it still holds up.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017

Haha, yeah that was a great moment. It had my theater in stitches.

Rian Johnson did a Q&A afterwards, and he mentioned this dialogue as one he had almost cut from the script because he thought it was too much. But when he heard Craigs delivery he knew it had to stay in.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Haha, yeah that was a great moment. It had my theater in stitches.

Rian Johnson did a Q&A afterwards, and he mentioned this dialogue as one he had almost cut from the script because he thought it was too much. But when he heard Craigs delivery he knew it had to stay in.
It REALLY got somebody in my theater, you could hear him practically choking as he stomped on the floor laughing

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Best final shot of the year?

Saw it last month at the LFF, looking forward to catching it again this weekend. Brick is still Johnson's best, though.

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to like this so bad.

Not at all the movie the trailers sold. Barely a whodunit. All of the political stuff was surface level garbage. Like someone saw the word "incel" in a news article but didn't bother doing any research beyond that.

The movie literally tells you the answer to the mystery halfway through the runtime, and then never does anything interesting with it. All of the characters other than Daniel Craig and the lead girl were cardboard cutouts. Some may argue it's intentional, but even if it is it's boring.
The "political stuff" is deeper than just those few snarky jabs and that one overt conversation. A lot of irony about "entitlement", privilege and "rule of law" is woven tightly into the plot. With a whole other dimension to it but spoilers etc.

Oct 31, 2017

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Did Jahns think it was clever when he did blackface? And like most youtube critics he totally reversed his opinion about TLJ (and SW) after toxic shitheads flooded his comments.

Soo 🤨

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to this Is it more of a deconstruction, or a remix on Whodunnits?

Ah, right.
I remembered reading some bad shit about him earlier this year.
edit: lol it's not even "just" black face too

I've always been a casual fan of Jahns, never knew about this. Yikes. Has he ever spoke about this since?

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I do love winter awards season, feels like the good movies are finally arriving after such a barren summer.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was horrified when Craig first opened his mouth and I heard his voice but it made that scene and others so ridiculously funny. Its a great movie.

Dec 21, 2017
A shame to hear it's doing well. Honestly, for a movie called "Knives Out", a title like that lends itself more to negative reviews for jokes.

Joking aside, glad to hear it might not be so bad? I don't expect it to undo his hack status, at least.

If Rian uses "The Butler Did It" as the ultimate conclusion, his hack status remains undaunted.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
A shame to hear it's doing well. Honestly, for a movie called "Knives Out", a title like that lends itself more to negative reviews for jokes.

Joking aside, glad to hear it might not be so bad? I don't expect it to undo his hack status, at least.

If Rian uses "The Butler Did It" as the ultimate conclusion, his hack status remains undaunted.

t3_1t55bo

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is a thread of adults discussing a critically acclaimed film. No one else in here is still whining about silly space movie for children ruining their childhood or has any weird bitterness towards RJ.

Learn to read the room.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have to agree with Jahns on this one, Rian isn't as clever as he believes. It's again just an "okay" film.

I really don't think that's the point of the movie. A well-told mystery story is supposed to do its big reveal and make you go "AHA!" at the end, not knock you on your ass with the sheer force of its cleverness.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It REALLY got somebody in my theater, you could hear him practically choking as he stomped on the floor laughing

Yeah, this absolutely killed in my screening.

Great movie. It's well-plotted, clever, cinematically literate, surprising, and very, very funny. Everyone involved seems to be having an absolute blast.

I would like more Benoit Blanc movies, please.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When are we getting a general OT for the film? I wanna talk spoilers but best not to do that in in the Review Thread.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching it; I'd probably give it 7-7.5/10. I expected it to be funnier than it was, but overall a good film.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I expect a movie about knives to have a LOT of blood.

I'm not sure if you're joking or serious here. The title is a reference to a state of mind - the movie isn't ABOUT knives.

When I look at my top 50 of favorite films there's barely a pg13 one in. I just don't reasonate well with most pg13 films I'm afraid.

That seems like a kind of silly restriction to place on yourself. The R rating is pretty much just a measurement of how much swearing, nudity or extreme violence is in a film, and this is a mystery film. Why would it have a lot of any of those things?