• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Because not everyone watches films at the same time.

Also to the posters saying it's not really a who done it, come on. That is exactly how the film was marketed. Some good moment with the script and I did chuckle but overal really disappointed. I get all the Colombo and murder she wrote references but I was expecting something more intelligent at the end and it just never came

How a movie is marketed and what a movie actually is are regularly not the same thing. Hell, you could even argue that the marketing as a straight up mystery movie is part of why the subversion works as well as it does.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
*Movie subverts whodunnit genre by intentionally making the perpetrator obvious*

"Lol movie sux i figured out who did it"

I love Knives Out, but come on. Subverting the whodunnit by making the killer obvious, throwing doubt on it and circling back is the oldest trick in the book.

It tries to shake you by making you believe it's not a whodunnit at all. The movie works in spite of whether or not you buy into that, IMO, because it's a character study of horrible rich people that's entertaining beyond it's central mystery.

The actual core mystery would have played better as a long form TV series tbh.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
User Banned (1 week): hostility
poor OP doesn't get the movie, you and your wife deserve each other i guess

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
The OP clearly states that the Chris Evans reveal is part of the problem, not the lead female.
OP says that Chris Evans is too obvious as the killer, because he's playing a douchebag. I'm pointing out that not only is the movie not about "who did it", and that Chris Evans playing a douchebag isn't novel, it's a return to form for him.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The movie literally tells you who did it right after the opening, and then the rest of the movie is the audience hoping the killer can get away with it. If you think it's a bad whodunnit, it's because it's not trying to be one - it's trying to flip that formula on its head.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Because not everyone watches films at the same time.

Also to the posters saying it's not really a who done it, come on. That is exactly how the film was marketed. Some good moment with the script and I did chuckle but overal really disappointed. I get all the Colombo and murder she wrote references but I was expecting something more intelligent at the end and it just never came

Yeah but I feel we get a LTTP every couple of months for this movie and it's only people who want to make sure everyone knows they don't like it. I guess there isn't anything wrong with that though.

And it's obviously a play on who dunnits. The red hearing obvious killer and motive actually end up being the killer and motive. It comically simple in that point on purpose as most of the actual movie is exploring all the other little betrayals of the rest of the family. The entire movie is about in what ways they are all guilty.

Rian does this with his other movies and its why Brothers Bloom is my favorite caper film of all time. Though the cons are elaborate they are just a medium for the exploration of the three main characters which it does very well.

Oct 29, 2017
I love Knives Out, but come on. Subverting the whodunnit by making the killer obvious, throwing doubt on it and circling back is the oldest trick in the book.

It tries to shake you by making you believe it's not a whodunnit at all. The movie works in spite of whether or not you buy into that, IMO, because it's a character study of horrible people that's entertaining beyond it's central mystery.

That's what I meant, I don't want to imply that's the only reason why it's subverting the genre. But intentionally stepping away from a whodunnit style of story by, among other things, making it obvious who the killer is, is the reason why the movie works as well as it does.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is such a surface level take away. Its not even about who actually "done it," but the game being played between all of the ensemble cast, and the way that game was set into motion by the dead person at the center of the mystery.

Go watch it again in a week and appreciate how good it actually is divorced from your own expectations. Seriously, its the type of movie that gets better on a rewatch.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Chris Evans is easily the worst part of the movie. Shame it was so damn transparent that he was the one very early on.

rest of the cast was amazing

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I called that he did it too but it still was a great film. I don't think it was the point.

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
People in this thread acting like if you don't think this movie is great you are some kind of dumbass are wonderful. You can understand the point of the movie and not care for it.

The movie was also clearly marketed as a whodunit.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
It's okay. Doesn't stand close to the classic whodunits, and the detective's shtick is lame.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I kinda agree, it wouldn't be such a big deal if all the trailers weren't so self-fellating with the whole "A whodunnit like no one's ever done it" nonsense.

Like Johnson a ton as a filmmaker but this one had a pretty mediocre superficial script that was only halfway carried by it's stellar cast.

poor OP doesn't get the movie, you and your wife deserve each other i guess

What kind of lame ass shit is this?

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
The problem with Knives Out is not its genre, but the way it treats its protagonist. It would be a much stronger film if indeed there was no 'real' murderer. By making Ransom the villain, the story frames Marta as a pingpong ball in a match between Ransom (person who set it up) and Blanc (person who is solving it). As Marta is reacting to events, she is robbed of her agency. In the end, she is saved by the 'virtues' of her character, which she had all along (being a good, humble person). There's no conflict or character growth here.

It's actually a problem with a lot of Rian Johnson's movies, which focus too much on the subversion part and leave the actual plot lacking.

I did find the social commentary and the inciting event refreshing for this type of movie.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a terrible mystery but a fun and well made film.
chris evans is kind of a shit actor tho. doesn't belong here.

OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
People in this thread acting like if you don't think this movie is great you are some kind of dumbass are wonderful. You can understand the point of the movie and not care for it.

The movie was also clearly marketed as a whodunit.
Thank you kind poster. I got everything the film was trying to say. The double crosses and knives out excuse the pun were evident the moment the family was cross examined

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a fun clue like murder mystery ultimately about wealth redistribution. Despite not really having anything to do with the Holidays, I think it felt like a really good Christmas movie and the release schedule really nailed it.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't about who done it

but yeah I think it should have been. I'm disappointed it wasn't because the movie the trailers and promotions put in my head I think seemed more fun and interesting than what it ended up being

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a whodunnit, which is fine. But it also doesn't work as a "howcatchem," like Columbo. For that to succeed you have to be rooting AGAINST the culprit. When you see the murder occur you're waiting on how the detective will find the piece that will get the murderer.

Knives Out completely fails at this. Rosa eliminates any sort of conflict halfway through and once you know how the fake suicide happened it's just boring busy work. Rian Johnson loves to do these subversions that just don't pan out.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why was the movie advertised as a who done it if thats not what it is? Of course it was a who done it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Look, I'm gonna admit to being the sucker: I got fooled by the bait-and-switch with Ransom. I thought maybe he was an asshole, but with a heart of gold. Everybody else in the family hated him, but like, they all fucking suck, so maybe that meant he was good. And he came off like a decent dude in the restaurant. I GOT TRICKED.
Same here. And I loved that I did.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
To the crowd saying it isn't a who done it then why was all the marketing and whatnot pegged with "A Rian Johnson Who Dun It"?

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Daniel Craigs acting and class themes aside, which are good parts of the movie. Knives out is a poor mans Clue. I didn't find it to be nearly as entertaining as I was lead to believe. It was mind numbingly boring and very homogenous. I don't believe it respected me as a viewer.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The movie is a whodunit but it manages to convince you (or most people) that it's not for the entire second act.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because film marketing is fucking terrible and trying to advertise your movie as a deconstruction of mystery films is almost impossible.
The entire movie was predicated around a murder with a huge case of suspects. Of course it was a who done it, even if the marketing was off (which is wasn't). Like I can't believe were really going to say knives out isn't a who done it.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There is no way you're laughing typing that reply out

Of course I am

dae.jpg

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
up to the second act or thereabouts i didn't even particularly care whodunnit. it was kind of an afterthought when all that was meted out but i wasn't super engaged while watching it (saw it over two or three treadmill sessions)

OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
People like to think they're smart and figured out the movie before everyone else
I think I answered this! How is this forum full of such pretentious arse holes. It's a film that has been talked about a lot. Praised and received critical acclaim. People don't always watch films when they first came out. I was disappointed by the film and wanted to share my thoughts

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The entire movie was predicated around a murder with a huge case of suspects. Of course it was a who done it, even if the marketing was off (which is wasn't). Like I can't believe were really going to say knives out isn't a who done it.

The actual mystery in the film is who hired Blanc, NOT who killed Harlan.