• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
You can't introduce Chris evens half way through the film, make him a douche bag, and not expect him to have done it.

Really disappointed by this film. I was intrigued but it gets worse and worse as it goes on. Really struggling to see it's appeal. Did I miss something? Just watched it with my wife and she also thought it was bad

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't really about who done it exactly. I didn't find the movie amazing or anything but there's other stuff going on. For me personally I enjoyed the character interactions and the look of the film.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I went in reading all of the hype and was disappointed. Would have probably liked it if it was something random I found on Netflix.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
They make the guy seem so obviously bad that you think he couldn't have done it. It misdirects you to think that the plot is going to be about Marta framing him for the crime. It worked for me.

Great, great film.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The movie tells you that Marta accidentally killed Harlan like 20 minutes in. It's not meant to be a whodunit.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
It's like a Nero Wolfe mystery. The appeal isn't the actual plot, it's that the characters and how they interact are entertaining.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
It's not a whodunnit.

The "killer" is revealed in the first act of the movie. After that, it becomes about seeing a whoddunit play out from the POV of the perpetrator. You aren't supposed to be trying to guess the killer, because you know the killer.

Also, Chris Evans has played douchebags in almost all of his roles except Cap.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I went in reading all of the hype and was disappointed. Would have probably liked it if it was something random I found on Netflix.
Yep kinda how I feel. I went in off of the hype and trailers expecting a cool mystery movie but left disappointed. It wasn't even the fact that the "murderer" was revealed early. Like OP, it seemed painfully obvious that it would be Chris Evans from the jump. He was the last person to directly interact with the grandfather, and he was clearly hiding something while helping the main lead.

Didn't feel as satisfying as I expected it to be on any level.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Technically it's a Hughdunnit. I was disappointed with the second act while watching it for the first time but act 3 is great. I love the ending.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Disagree. Nice to see a satire that isn't completely cynical. Loved the cast and the look of the movie. Not the best thing ever, but a great genre exercise.

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't wild about it when I saw it either but looking forward to giving it a rewatch when it hits Netflix next week just in case.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
You didn't know whodunwhat. The inspector even says the real question is who hired him and why, and that is the mystery of the film.

OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
How do we keep having this thread?
Because not everyone watches films at the same time.

Also to the posters saying it's not really a who done it, come on. That is exactly how the film was marketed. Some good moment with the script and I did chuckle but overal really disappointed. I get all the Colombo and murder she wrote references but I was expecting something more intelligent at the end and it just never came

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You can't introduce Chris evens half way through the film, make him a douche bag, and not expect him to have done it.

Really disappointed by this film. I was intrigued but it gets worse and worse as it goes on. Really struggling to see it's appeal. Did I miss something? Just watched it with my wife and she also thought it was bad
The entire point of the movie, it would seem

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
How do we keep having this thread?

Probably because people have different expectations about a movie like this. Some expect a 'murder mystery' they can solve.

It's kind of a callback to the original Sherlock stories -- the reader could almost never connect every dot, they were just watching Sherlock do it.

On the other hand, you have stories like Encyclopedia Brown, where the writer actually gives the reader all the hints and knowledge they need to work it all out. This movie is more of a Sherlock story than a who-dunnit

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The OP clearly states that the Chris Evans reveal is part of the problem, not the lead female.
But OP also states the disappointment that he was introduced half way through and you know he's the "killer". I mean, that's supposed to be obvious. His name is fucking Ransom lol. The movie isn't a whodunnit, it's a social satire, and it knocks that out of the park

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't we just have this thread like two weeks ago?

I think it's brilliant. It subverts your expectations, definitely doesn't want to rely on just being a "traditional" whodunnit.

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
But not as terrible as Daniel Craig's Foghorn Leghorn impression he does the entire movie.

Movie was ok, definitely not as good as people raved about as.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about who dun it, it's about who finna did undun what did it

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I'm gonna admit to being the sucker: I got fooled by the bait-and-switch with Ransom. I thought maybe he was an asshole, but with a heart of gold. Everybody else in the family hated him, but like, they all fucking suck, so maybe that meant he was good. And he came off like a decent dude in the restaurant. I GOT TRICKED.

But it's not really about that. Journey, not destination, grasshopper. If you predicted it or not, it was still a ton of fun. Good example: the attempted murder at the very end. Me and like 4 other people all went "Prop knife" at the same time, but that wasn't the point. It's not a thriller. You're supposed to figure it out and feel clever about it, or not figure it and and feel surprised by it, but either way it's a good time.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
But OP also states the disappointment that he was introduced half way through and you know he's the "killer". I mean, that's supposed to be obvious. His name is fucking Ransom lol. The movie isn't a whodunnit, it's a social satire, and it knocks that out of the park
I mean, it is a whodunnit, but the true it, the one the who is sent to jail for, wasn't dun until the last third of the movie.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Because not everyone watches films at the same time.

Also to the posters saying it's not really a who done it, come on. That is exactly how the film was marketed. Some good moment with the script and I did chuckle but overal really disappointed. I get all the Colombo and murder she wrote references but I was expecting something more intelligent at the end and it just never came

Intelligent in what way? Some gigantic mindbending twist?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Look, I'm gonna admit to being the sucker: I got fooled by the bait-and-switch with Ransom. I thought maybe he was an asshole, but with a heart of gold. Everybody else in the family hated him, but like, they all fucking suck, so maybe that meant he was good. And he came off like a decent dude in the restaurant. I GOT TRICKED.
Yeah me too actually