• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You just constantly make your opinion known over and over and over and over, it being a thread or not doesn't matter.
Yeah sure but you guys keep creating bait thread so I contribute. Dont create one and you wont see me opinion on TLJ. Ironic you telling me yet you cool with theese Rey avatars creating same thread and posting their opinions over and over again tooo....

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The Last Jedi really got people fucked up, you got one side treating him like Lucas was treated(and still is) and you have threads like this and takes where TLJ is treated like the new Citizen Kane.

Looking forward to watching Knives Out though, love me a good classic mystery.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure but you guys keep creating bait thread so I contribute. Dont create one and you wont see me opinion on TLJ. Ironic you telling me yet you cool with theese Rey avatars creating same thread and posting their opinions over and over again tooo....

You constantly post crazy shit like this in any SW thread.

"Rey avatars"

Jesus.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Between this, Brick, Looper, and The Last Jedi, I think it's safe to say Rian Johnson is one of the greatest writer/directors of our time, alongside Quentin Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, Christopher Nolan, Edgar Wright, and Darren Aronofsky.

I genuinely don't understand how you can compare Johnson to anyone on this list tbh. The body of work is miles apart.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
No, he really isn't.
I adored Knives Out, it was one of my favorite movies I've seen this year. And I love to hyperbolize my enjoyment of TLJ(solid film, best that can probably be done with the series in its current state) to annoy needs who can't get past Star Wars and watch other things...but come on. Even limiting it to directors who only blew up recently, Damien Chazell, Ari Aster, or Greta Gerwig for example already have a way more outstanding collection of work. Not to mention someone like Edgar Wright who codified the type of movie Knives Out was.

pls say sike

I think he is even if I don't like every single movie he has made I still find this contribution to cinema much more impactful than Rian Johnson.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In Hollywood, he's certainly one of my faves right now. Decent take OP, don't let the haters get you down.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I think he is even if I don't like every single movie he has made I still find this contribution to cinema much more impactful than Rian Johnson.
I mean, you may think it all you want but he is not "widely considered to be greatest filmmaker living today". At that point you're not giving your personal opinion but rather the general conesus.

There's not a single director alive right now that is widely considered to be the greatest of them all.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even realize there were people who thought Edgar Wright was good enough to mention alongside Tarantino, Nolan, and PT Anderson.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I didn't even realize there were people who thought Edgar Wright was good enough to mention alongside Tarantino, Nolan, and PT Anderson.

I mean, he certainly has better style than Rian, and I would argue has a way with making movies that makes you know you're watching an Wright movie, whereas, Johnson you couldn't really differentiate his style with anyone elses.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Naw. Still a mediocre writer as fun as Knives Out was. The Last Jedi was awful in terms of writing and structure.

I will agree he's a phenomenal director and definitely in the upper echelon of modern directors. Looper, Knives out, and even TLJ has some pretty incredible standout scenes due to his direction. (Not to mention his breaking bad episodes)

arcknight

Oct 27, 2017
TLJ was a disaster. This movie was actually not bad though but certainly not best movie ever type of deal lol.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yup. It's an excellent film, and I love the idea of Benoit Blanc becoming a Miss Marple type character and getting multiple movies.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Looper and Knives Out are probably two standout films from their year for me. Incredible stuff

TLJ whilst still good was a massive miss in my book though. Looper and Knives Out are far better than it and TLJ let's rian down for me over the last decade.

Definitely one of the most exciting new directors

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you may think it all you want but he is not "widely considered to be greatest filmmaker living today". At that point you're not giving your personal opinion but rather the general conesus.

There's not a single director alive right now that is widely considered to be the greatest of them all.

If you're taking about the general american populace I would bet a majority of people think of Christopher Nolan or Tarantino as the best director alive. I still know so many people who say that TDK is their favorite movie of all time.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
It's great yeah. I've liked all his movies but this was only the second one I loved, after Brick.

Oct 25, 2017
Not everything is about that movie, what the fuck is wrong with you people.

I never claimed that everything was about The Last Jedi. I claimed that the usual people who overreact to The Last Jedi, at least a contingency of that, is probably popping up in this thread.

Why are you so heated over like, a basic post? Why is that level of aggression even mildly warranted? This is a thread about a director, relax buddy.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
If you're taking about the general american populace I would bet a majority of people think of Christopher Nolan or Tarantino as the best director alive. I still know so many people who say that TDK is their favorite movie of all time.
Well yeah, if you ask the general public, they'd probably say Spielberg. Most people have absolutely no clue what Brick or Looper was or who Rian Johnson even is.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Knives Out, Looper, Brick, and Rian's work on Breaking Bad are all fantastic. Did not care for TLJ though but it is what it is. I don't hold it against him because he is extremely talented. Knives Out is my favorite movie of the year and I hope he does do more whodunits like it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Knives Out is the first Rian Johnson movie I've truly loved, so I'm just not ready to put him in that upper echelon yet.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
First project of his that I like. Reminds me of like Clue, but I guess yeah just a whodunnit
So...yeah, good and enjoyable film but it's not cementing anything for me legacy wise.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
User banned (5 days): drive-by trolling, several previous infractions for inflammatory drive-by posting
TLj was utter horseshit so this hack will never be the best at anything except making trash movies.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Knives Out was great. TLJ left a lot to be desired in the writing department, even though the direction was good. Looper's writing was atrocious and made no sense as a time travel story, and was pretty trite in terms of the personal drama. Directing wise it was fine. Haven't seen Brick. He's got talent as a director, but everything (including Knives Out) that he has written has the mark of someone who thinks they're way more clever than they actually are, and he always falls over himself to demonstrate how big brained he is as a writer. The simpler the premise, the better his writing works. Hope he sticks to relatively more restrained stories like Knives Out where his better qualities shine.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Knives Out had the perfect setup and a well-executed anti-twist that led into a so actual twist. However, the red herring was never convincing due to lacking characterization and all the revelations in the last act were much more sloppy compared to how precise everything in the 1st and 2nd were. The true mystery of the film is it's actual genre. It's honestly less of a whodunit and more of a political drama.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Can we get some clarification on when box office success can and can't be used as a counterpoint against criticism?