• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Knives Out was brilliant. Kept the viewer on the edge of their seat guessing until the final shot. Beautiful cinematography, extremely tight script, very funny, and did a brilliant job using its' cast against their typical roles. Daniel Craig as a plodding detective with a southern drawl. Chris Evans as a cocky, sarcastic asshole. Anna De Armas, typically cast as a bit of a sex symbol, instead portrayed as naive, innocent, and conservative. Michael Shannon, usually an intelligent, intimidating force, as kind of a burnout goofball with a bad knee.

Can't wait to watch this again. One of the very best films of the year.

Between this, Brick, Looper, and The Last Jedi, I think it's safe to say Rian Johnson is one of the greatest writer/directors of our time, alongside Quentin Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, Christopher Nolan, Edgar Wright, and Darren Aronofsky.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
cast against their typical roles.
Chris Evans as a cocky, sarcastic asshole.
giphy.gif

tumblr_pl7wouQ1Zs1y0c06so1_400.gifv

Daniel Craig as a plodding detective
giphy.gif

giphy.webp

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to see this. I love a good whodunnit, and enjoyed Last Jedi a lot, especially his direction.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it was good but I think he needs some more credits before you make this claim.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is he one of the best lol?

Looper was good, Last Jedi was bad, Knives out looks good. Not going to mention Brick, it was good and not good kind of movie for me (watched it a long time ago and not since, and I remember thinking it was ok).

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was excellent.

I wish RJ would keep doing stuff like this. Much rather he pump out three original movies like KO than a trilogy of Star Wars movies

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Those are some massive names you're putting him up there with. I think he could definitely get there if he keeps this quality up, but it's still too early to say for sure!

jml

Mar 9, 2018
It cements him as a guy who makes pretty good blockbusters. He shouldn't be in the same sentence as guys like Paul Thomas Anderson yet.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
His best work is still an episode of Breaking Bad IMO. The rest of his stuff I usually enjoy in spite of his directing styles.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
He's good. Knives Out is in my top 5 of the year.. but he's nowhere near the other guys you listed

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
...I think it's safe to say Rian Johnson is one of the greatest writer/directors of our time, alongside Quentin Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, Christopher Nolan, Edgar Wright, and Darren Aronofsky.

I like Looper, TLJ and Knives Out was really good...but this might be the most goddamn ridiculous thing I have ever read on ERA lol.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
His best work is still an episode of Breaking Bad IMO. The rest of his stuff I usually enjoy in spite of his directing styles.
I didn't know what episode he directed but I took a flying leap and guessed "Fly" just because if he was gonna direct any episode about drug dealing tearing apart a family it's gonna be the weirdest one.

I loved that episode and Knives Out. I'm okay on Looper. No amount of these threads is gonna convince me to like TLJ. I just don't.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
It's getting a bit much. People really got butthurt about his TLJ disaster and seem to be on constant defense mode for this dude.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
he's alright. people go crazy over this guy either way. Maybe if you only watch American films he's that good.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I didn't know what episode he directed but I took a flying leap and guessed "Fly" just because if he was gonna direct any episode about drug dealing tearing apart a family it's gonna be the weirdest one.

He did direct Fly, though the episode I'm referring to is Ozymandias.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Remember when he kickstarted Robert DeNiro's career and invented the crane shot.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I think he makes good, solid movies but I think all the people you listed and others like Denise Villeneuve are still above him.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's getting a bit much. People really got butthurt about his TLJ disaster and seem to be on constant defense mode for this dude.
woah, thank you. Was wondering whether I dropped into some sort of parallel universe where weird nerds didn't feel the need to constantly bitch about how terrible TLJ is.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Rian Johnson is a perfect melody of Scorsesse, Fincher and Hitchcock. He's truly the best of all time and he's done it and such few movies too. Truly incredible to be witnessing this.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I agree.

I love Knives Out but that's the only film of his I've seen that resonated with me.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
woah, thank you. Was wondering whether I dropped into some sort of parallel universe where weird nerds didn't feel the need to constantly bitch about how terrible TLJ is.
We both know that's why this thread was made. It's always why. Every film that he makes from now until he retires will be why.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Knives Out, Looper, and TLJ were all fantastic. Knives Out really made my day, it was really well done. but more importantly it was cathartic in a way that I really needed.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
People are really hyperbolic about this dude. His early films are fine. Looper is good. TLJ is well directed but poorly written and edited. Knives Out is just okay.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He's nowhere near Tarantino, Nolan, PTA, Aronofsky and others. Maybe wait a bit before claiming stuff like this. I remember Coogler was put on same pedestal after black panther

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
TIL if you make a handful of slightly above average films, you can be called a legend.

He's closer to like... Gore Verbinski than the list you've cobbled together.

cast against their typical roles...

Chris Evans as a cocky, sarcastic asshole.

I mean, do you seriously not remember anything before 2011? Chris Evans was THE sarcastic asshole for most of the 2000s.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously speaking, you don't need 100 films to be considered a legend, but Knives Out isn't an American classic or anything. It's a fun mystery with some snappy interplay between the very talented cast. I wasn't awestruck by any one particular scene or line. It was just extremely entertaining which is what a movie should be.

How you know you're watching a great director is that you can identify traits of their work so even when you don't know it's them, you think it's them or you realize it's someone using their techniques.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have really liked all of his movies especially Knives Out but this is a bit hyperbolic and premature.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Lol no.

I loved Knives Out, OP, one of my faves of the year, but he's nowhere near any of those directors you mention.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think he's great, but more of an A-tier to all of those S-tier directors.

I do think he's similar to Edgar Wright, at least when Wright isn't writing with Simon Pegg.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly wouldn't say that. Haven't seen Brick, but Looper was decent but nothing special, and Last Jedi was pretty bad. Knives Out was certainly his best film I've seen by far, and I enjoyed it a lot, but putting him at the top next to some of those other names seems hyperbolic.

Rickelodeon

Oct 25, 2017
his breaking bad episodes alone already cemented that for sure, the movies are just bonus

To me he's definitely on par with Edgar Wright at least, like Edgar i loved all of Rian's works so far

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think Rian Johnson is brilliant and he's one of my favorite directors. But let's slow down a bit.