• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The force can do terrible things to a mind

• I want it to be canon and I think it will be.

Votes: 177 37.2%
  • I want it to be canon and I think it won't be.

Votes: 67 14.1%
  • I don't care and I think it will be canon.

Votes: 91 19.1%
  • I don't care and I think it won't be canon.

Votes: 121 25.4%
  • I don't want it to be canon and I think it will be.

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I don't want it to be canon and I think it won't be.

Votes: 13 2.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering they said there won't be major changes to it and The High Republic does have huge changes (and it's canon), I think the remake won't be canon. Unless they consider the canonical changes nothing major. But it's fine if it's not. They can do more with it that way.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really care as Kotor 1 and 2 are really better than anything else that exist in Star Wars imo so I just consider them their own canon and the movies are legends as far as I'm concerned.

Marbled Jelly

May 24, 2021
Considering they said there won't be major changes to it and The High Republic does have huge changes (and it's canon), I think the remake won't be canon. Unless they consider the canonical changes nothing major. But it's fine if it's not. They can do more with it that way.
Technically, there is about 100 years between the two eras and they could move KOTOR earlier in the canon if they wanted to add it.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
They're TV shows though and more easily consumed by the wider public. I don't see Disney expect people to play a game in order to get lore referenced in the movies. I'd love to be proven wrong but I seriously doubt it.
Fair enough. I do think videogames have a higher chance of appearing than say comics though, since they're an audiovisual medium as well. Besides, with the EA games at least, we have some recognisable faces already. I totally see Iden Verso or Cal Kestis making a cameo somewhere.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've long stopped caring about canon in Star Wars, especially in a world ROTS is canon

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they change the name to Star Wars Legends: Knights of the Old Republic, I'd say it's looking like canon.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Weren't there some rumors early on that some small elements of the story would be changed to make it cannon friendly? Or some references or extra points added anyway.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I don't particularly care either way, but I imagine it'll be canon.

What I'd love is to see more media in this time period. One of the reasons KotOR is so great is that it was so far removed from the original trilogy that it could basically do whatever it wanted.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
I think it'll be like the LEGO shows and specials. The events are canon, but the way they play out aren't necessarily. That way people have the freedom of choice with dark or light side, while the story of the fight against Malak and the Star Forge definitively
happened.

Technically, there is about 100 years between the two eras and they could move KOTOR earlier in the canon if they wanted to add it.

KOTOR takes place nearly 4000 years before the movies. There's a hug gap between it and the High Republic stuff which is a few hundred years prior.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Wish it was canon, but doubt it will be. Its really a bummer that they created the high republic, and didnt just go back and start doing old republic stuff. I havent liked a single thing I have read of high republic.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
It's going to be canon, why wouldn't it be? They don't have any official material covering that time frame.

It's a good opportunity to establish a new and propre canon on which they can expand in the future. It's actually a very good thing for everyone.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Honestly watching Star Wars Episode 9 I really hoped that the ship explanation was they had resurrected the star forge So I really want this to be cannon

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
In the unlikely event that it isn't canon, does that really even matter? It impacts sequels and related content, but looking at the Legends stuff, some of it is still a great alternative to the new canon and imo isn't diminished by the fact that it's not canon anymore. Especially since they've already established that there are parallel/alternate universes. Iirc that's what they did with SWTOR.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The old republic is part of the Legends universe.....aka Non-Canon:
revan-star-wars-legends-the-old-republic.jpg

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Disney would greenlight a large star wars project these days if it wasn't Canon.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I stopped caring about Star Wars movies a long time ago. I just hope there'll be meatbags in this remake.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's part canon. Revan is mentioned in canon material but idk how much of kotor was kept

eFKac92

Apr 8, 2021
Parts were already cannon due to other media that remained cannon, and more things from the old republic are being incorporated to the cannon. So I think the whole game will be.

Personally I don't care, at this point I have my own head cannon sorta.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
It's going to be canon. Kathleen Kennedy already stated that there were discussions and plans to bring KOTOR back into the fold. And this is that plan.

There was also meant to be several references to Revan and Malek in Rise of Skywalker, but they got cut. I'm sure you'll see things pop up in regards to KOTOR in the new shows.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
The old republic is part of the Legends universe.....aka Non-Canon:
revan-star-wars-legends-the-old-republic.jpg

That's from before Disney bought Star Wars and was canon at the time of release. Any old republic content produced by them now will likely get moved up to canon. Just like Palpatine clones went from Legends to Canon (in a really crappy way).

I always thought that Lucasfilm label/call Old EU "Legend" because It's what people in Star Wars Canon Learn/Hear.

5nGDcRb.jpg

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
I wish Disney's sequel trilogy weren't canon, and they went with Legends stuff instead. So it doesn't matter to me if this game is canon or not, as long as it's good.

Marvel What If… since I was a kid reading the comics and now the the Disney show produced great stuff that I wish would spin-off into their own thing sometimes.

I think we put too much emphasis on what is or isn't canon sometimes, and could potentially miss out on some great stories by becoming canon-snobs lol.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It's not going to be canon. It's a remake of Legends material. They actively still produce approved Legends material still.

Lot of people going to be disappointed based in the votes.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
It's going to be canon. Kathleen Kennedy already stated that there were discussions and plans to bring KOTOR back into the fold. And this is that plan.

There was also meant to be several references to Revan and Malek in Rise of Skywalker, but they got cut. I'm sure you'll see things pop up in regards to KOTOR in the new shows.
Again, I'd argue that you can make Revan and Malek canon, while still making their game and its events something more nebulous, and be considered "Legends". Which would work perfectly, because a power fantasy RPG with multiple paths, romance options and endings really shouldn't be but so locked in with a "canon path", and that was one thing I came to dislike about what followed after the original.

"Anyone can wear the mask", in other words.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care if it's canon unless that somehow leads to the Mandalorian writing staff to revisit the era for a new series.
Eh.. the writing is probably the weakest part of Mando (and handled mostly by Favreau). Famuyiwa wrote the best written episode (the believer) and the step up in dialogue was immediate.

youtu.be

The Mandalorian - Mayfeld: "How 'bout a toast to Operation Cinder?"

You can see the exact moment Mayfeld goes full Gaetano Bresci

Vs

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I imagine they'll be vague with it. They could even have their cake and eat it to by having a new framing device where it's a story being told to someone so there's leeway.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I always thought that Lucasfilm label/call Old EU "Legend" because It's what people in Star Wars Canon Learn/Hear.

5nGDcRb.jpg
I imagine they'll be vague with it. They could even have their cake and eat it to by having a new framing device where it's a story being told to someone so there's leeway.
I really hope this is the case. It frees them up to take risks and just ignore whatever doesn't work.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It's not going to be canon. It's a remake of Legends material. They actively still produce approved Legends material still.

Lot of people going to be disappointed based in the votes.
Isn't the only Legends material actively being worked on "The Old Republic"? I guess the Visions tv show counts as well since it's non-canon but I don't remember it being marketed with the Legends moniker.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they'll put it in enough of a gray area that it won't really matter either way. It's not like modern Star Wars gives a shit about anything other than the OT and things connected to the OT and characters from the OT, so a story set thousands of years before it is basically irrelevant.

The last Jedi isn't even Canon so it's hard to take any of it seriously

200.gif

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Again, I'd argue that you can make Revan and Malek canon, while still making their game and its events something more nebulous, and be considered "Legends". Which would work perfectly, because a power fantasy RPG with multiple paths, romance options and endings really shouldn't be but so locked in with a "canon path", and that was one thing I came to dislike about what followed after the original.

"Anyone can wear the mask", in other words.

This is one possibility I mentioned in the OP. A sort of schrödinger's canon if you will. We would know the events of the game happened, we simply wouldn't know exactly in what way they did. This creates a few challenges but it's an interesting possibility.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
They're probably gonna make it Canon but I hope they don't unless it's super good. The mere fact they are rewriting and "modernizing" Kotor has me frankly worried. While the team they have assembled does seem good, Kotor's story is my absolute favorite, and frankly I don't trust modern Disney to do it right. I'm fearful this will be MCU humour, sanding down the edges of the OG story, blatant tie ins to the Skywalker Saga (and particularly the Sequels) to fill in plotholes and large changes to the story for the fuck of it. This game being one of Aspyr's first of this size has me all the more worried.

Mando and Rogue One have been great at least, but I think the new canon has been far more miss than hit.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It's like 4,000 years before the films.

It literally doesn't matter and they shouldn't make a canon Revan again anyway.