• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Un2141sh.png

On February 20th 2013 the world of gaming would be changed forever. Not only was the PS4 introduced but so too was gaming's newest icon: Knack.

Knack would go on to outsell Super Mario 3D World, establishing Mark Cerny's latest hit as the premiere 3D platforming franchise.

Yolrwmdh.png

Now 7 years later, it's time to welcome the upcoming PS5 event on June 4th and herald a new Era of Cerny engineered wonders; from now until June 3rd you will have a chance to get a Knack inspired custom title. Just reply to this topic with the following two words somewhere in your post: Thank Knack

Once your tribute has been paid, you will receive the custom title 'Visited by Knack'. This will be permanent should a new Knack game be announced between now and PS5 launch so that all the true believers who never doubted, will forever stand out on this forum as those with unshakeable faith in the little (big) guy who propelled the PS4 to international success.

If you'd also like a Knack or Cerny themed avatar but don't have the Photoshop skills, let us know too and we'll see what we can rustle up.

Thanks to: Nagito (banner art), Angie22 (cat herding), Much (GIFs) and everyone in the PlayStation Era Discord.

GIFs:

Kq6jKG4.gif

Lovely. Thank Knack.

Written tributes:

I love Knack and would go so far as to say that it's superior to Knack 2.

Knack, when played the correct way - hard mode - is a master of 'combat puzzles'. Each encounter must be played with the knowledge that one or two hits will kill you and you need to learn enemy attack patterns and successfully roll and dodge to create your attack opening. Each room is a new combat puzzle that you need to decipher. I'm absolutely serious when I say that Knack combat - on hard - is punishing and insanely rewarding. I think it's phenomenal game design. It's easily one of my favourite launch games of this gen.

Knack 2, of course, watered all of this down in place of cookie cutter platforming and made combat easy/boring. No interest in Knack 2. But will bow at the alter of Knack 1 for eternity.

Thank Knack
Knack is the reason I bought a PS4 and is still to this day the first game that would come to mind if you asked me what the best PS4 exclusive is. With the massive improvements done to make the combat more approachable in the sequel, I really think all that's left for the series to finally become more than just a meme is some solid storytelling. The games always manage to fall just short in that regard, they have visuals on par with an animated movie but they desperately need the characters and heart of a Pixar film.

Thank Knack.

The methodical yet satisfying combat puzzles of Knack 1 are exactly why I will always sing its praises as well (take note Knack Knaysayers: if you are playing the game on anything other than the highest possible difficulty unlocked, you are playing it wrong), but I find the gameplay in Knack 2 to be equally fun in a different way. It's certainly far less punishing but I absolutely love the flow they added to the combat.

I recorded this video of Very Hard gameplay a few years ago as a response to Jim Sterling's review where he complained about how slow and unresponsive Knack was, when in reality he's incredibly fluid and fast in the hands of a competent player. The way you can chain a whirlwind of punches, dashes, and grabs together makes him a joy to control for me. It felt like Jim just blazed through the game to write the review without even learning the mechanics.

Sadly Knack 2 got into the meme thing after the first Knack but the second game is WAAAAY better.
Once you past the first levels, the game is actually a LOT of fun, play it!

This is my comment on it back then:

It's a really nice and fun game, totally woth the price (7-7.5/10).
You have to go past the few initial hours of struggle 'cause you don't have enough moves to enjoy the game, but once you earn the long "grip" with triangle it opens up really well.

Moving forward you'll unlock more moves that makes the combat system really fluid and simply fun, with well placed platform elements (and a lot of secrets too!).

Just avoid the Very Hard at first 'cause is a pain in the a**, you have to spam one move to survive and isn't challenging, only frustrating. Go with Hard and enjoy a very fun game, like the ones you liked on PS2 and that doesn't come out anymore those days.

I even get the Platinum ^^

DKV01oTW4AIhwhU.jpg:large

p.s. THANK KNACK

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Did Knack really outsell Super Mario World 3D? I am actually curious as I don't know how much the games have sold lol

Also Thank Knack

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone say that knack is bad, probably never played the second game in co-op

Yeah it was a really good game !

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
while it's all fun and game can I just say it's impressive how unappealing of a mascot character Knack is ?

I really hope Sony basically killed him off and replaced him with Astrobot (you could even steal the gameplay mechanics from Knack and nobody would care).

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Thank Knack
never played em
but its time
time for a new era, time for a new generation, time for the Knackening
Knack 3 -VR LETS GO!

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Knack 3 needs to happen so we can have the ultimate battle...

Knack 3 vs Super Mario 3D World Deluxe

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Considering this and it's sequel is the only pair of games that my wife has enjoyed playing so far, especially together I really gotta be on board with this.

THANK KNACK (also a cerny/knack avatar too kindly)

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when you funny meme guys tricked Sony into thinking that making a Knack 2 was a good idea?

That was hilarious!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Astro Bot gets the same recognition when PSVR 2 rolls around.

Thank Knack.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Thank Knack

I platinumed Knack and haven't played Knack 2 yet - a task I must complete before PS5 launches.