• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Have finished Trails FC, SC over the past few months and I'm about 30 hours into 3rd now. Really enjoyable series and characters.

I'm very excited to move onto Cold Steel to see things from the other perspective!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you're playing the PC version then all you have to do to remedy that is replace the right file in the BGM-folder, which are ogg-files which can be played directly on various music players.

There is better arrange from other version or I would replace it with the music of FC? At least I don't like the second option that much since I don't like changing the composition of music in games

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I mean do you live in the country side or outside NA?

I just check my orders, I've pre-ordered 18 games and the only one to fail to show up on release date was Uncharted 4, which was one day late.
Yep same in Spain. Every time they send me a game late is because the distributor/publisher has messed up (it mostly happens with small games). Big companies like Nintendo/Sony etc... always send their games on time to Amazon and I always get the games on day one (never one day after or one day before).

Neufr0

Nov 20, 2017
Does someone know how I can cancel my order on NISA Europe? I think I'm just gonna give up on the collector edition and get it from the store. I will get a physical copy later for the collection anyway. The collector was too expensive for the content too tbh.

I have a day off on November 2nd so I prefer to be able to play as soon as possible. Is it normal that there is just the deluxe edition on the store? Will there be a standard edition on day one?

Oct 27, 2017
Base.com notified me earlier that my copy of ToCS4 has been shipped. Will probably arrive on Thursday, maybe even tomorrow.

I'm very excited, I finally completed Trails 3 yesterday evening, I'll be able to jump straight in to 4 with everything fresh in my mind.

Gridman

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot_20201021-194605_Gmail.jpg
Well this makes me excited. Bring it on!

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my pre-CS4 replay of CS3.

I forgot soo much of the game, I'm bla
I got it squarely on the 'rona.

that being said, I can't fucking wait for CS4, gonna be so good!!

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing CS4 today. The start has been very good.

Does anyone know how long this game is compared to the others in the series?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Do we know anything about the review embargo for CS IV? The game will be released in less than a week and IIRC reviews for CS III were out a week before launch.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
If next game has a Rean cameo I'm going to puke. Rean didn't have enough to him to sustain for 4.33333 games. Heck going to flatout say no Kiseki character so far has earned enough to be interesting for that many games straight. It's most evident in the fact that appearances so far have largely been pure fan service vs introducing new storylines for characters. Fan service is great in doses but if Kiseki wants to meaningfully sustain the value of those cameos like Marvel they gotta have more meat to the appearances. Imagine if every ironman cameo was on the level of a Captain Marvel in Endgame. He'd have 1/100 the earned investment in that movie if that was the case.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Playing cs4 prolouge

I thought i could bluff my way through cs3 easy enough, but not knowing the crossbell characters really hurts a bit here. I have no idea who half these side characters are. The start is sort of weirdly paced in general.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2...w-a-solid-conclusion-with-a-rough-second-act/

They are criticizing the pacing and some of the harem aspects, but praise the qol features like high speed mode and skippable cutscenes. And the music is supposedly a step up from Cold Steel 3.

Hey! This my review :P

Basically, yeah I think this is a step down from CS3. I didn't touch upon this in my review but there are TOO MANY DAMN PLAYABLE CHARACTERS. It just absolutely balloons in Act 2 and 3, and even in the Finale lol it's insane Theswweet expanded on this more in his review. (though I wasn't nearly as harsh)

If I had to rank based on my personal preferences, I'd go with CS1=CS4<CS3<CS2

Music is subjective haha, but I did like the music better here than in CS3.

But yeah, the biggest issue with the game is Act 2. It's the longest Act in the game but ironically doesn't do much? It's weird. The harem aspect is also a bit annoying too lol

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV Review | RPG Site

Cold Steel IV finally ends the "Phantasmal Blaze Plan" arc for the series after nearly a decade, for better or worse.

lol

Probably the best review we're gonna get based on how descriptive it is.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2...w-a-solid-conclusion-with-a-rough-second-act/

They are criticizing the pacing and some of the harem aspects, but praise the qol features like high speed mode and skippable cutscenes. And the music is supposedly a step up from Cold Steel 3.

Comparing this review to the RPGSite one is a world of difference. RPGSite's is far more descriptive and informative. In fact this Escapist interview just feels like a bullet list, it doesn't even go into the story or the character writing? What's the point?

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Hey! This my review :P

Basically, yeah I think this is a step down from CS3. I didn't touch upon this in my review but there are TOO MANY DAMN PLAYABLE CHARACTERS. It just absolutely balloons in Act 2 and 3, and even in the Finale lol it's insane Theswweet expanded on this more in his review. (though I wasn't nearly as harsh)

If I had to rank based on my personal preferences, I'd go with CS1=CS4<CS3<CS2

Music is subjective haha, but I did like the music better here than in CS3.

But yeah, the biggest issue with the game is Act 2. It's the longest Act in the game but ironically doesn't do much? It's weird. The harem aspect is also a bit annoying too lol
Oh, damn. You probably wanted to post your review on your own. I'm sorry.
How did you liked the conclusions of the story and characters?

Your ranking is interesting, because my own so far would be the complete opposite.

Oct 25, 2017

Your ranking is interesting, because my own so far would be the complete opposite.

Every (main) Trails game is somebody's favorite.

I find it funny how people that played the Japanese release thought the soundtrack was much worse than CS3, but the Western reviews seem to like the 4's soundtrack a lot.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the best review we're gonna get based on how descriptive it is.

Comparing this review to the RPGSite one is a world of difference. RPGSite's is far more descriptive and informative. In fact this Escapist interview just feels like a bullet list, it doesn't even go into the story or the character writing? What's the point?

I just simply have a different writing style. My voice is much more like a reporter's, so I don't typically "fluff" things with extra descriptive words. As for the story, I usually try to keep big story details out in case people come at me for spoilers, so I'm extra careful on that front.

Also you have to take into consideration that sometimes we are constrained by word count and what our editors think is important to mention/not to mention. Some outlets don't have word counts, some do.

No worries, it's fine! I think the story is serviceable. The main problem is tying in the teams from Ao/Zero and Sky. Because some of the plots involve them, it can be confusing for those who didn't play those games.

As for the characters themselves, I think they're ok as well. The issue is that since there are so many characters, between new class VII and old class VII, as well as the cast from Sky Ao/Zero, sometimes the dialogue and focus wane a bit.

Often times you'll be required to take certain characters in your party for story reasons, and then you can pick 2-3 of your own personal choice to join you during that part of the story. Of course, you can already probably tell those ones you picked will only get a smattering of lines here and there compared to the required party members.

EDIT: So as a result, sometimes character development gets stifled. However, the Bonding events pick up the slack there. Additionally, I think that new class VII gets a bulk of the character development through out the main story.

Last edited:

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017

Cold Steel IV finally ends the "Phantasmal Blaze Plan" arc for the series after nearly a decade, for better or worse.

lol

This kind of mirrors how I felt about CS4.

Edit: I still enjoyed playing CS4 - it had some "oh shit!" moments that I really enjoyed and some of the OST was good (better than CS3 IMO). If you've played every other game in the series up until now, it's worth playing (obviously, as it's the culmination of arcs that started back in Sky the 3rd). Falcom just needs a script editor at this point - just because you have a bunch of characters on-screen doesn't mean they all need to say something to justify them being there.

Last edited:

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
I just simply have a different writing style. My voice is much more like a reporter's, so I don't typically "fluff" things with extra descriptive words. As for the story, I usually try to keep big story details out in case people come at me for spoilers, so I'm extra careful on that front.

Also you have to take into consideration that sometimes we are constrained by word count and what our editors think is important to mention/not to mention. Some outlets don't have word counts, some do.

No worries, it's fine! I think the story is serviceable. The main problem is tying in the teams from Ao/Zero and Sky. Because some of the plots involve them, it can be confusing for those who didn't play those games.

As for the characters themselves, I think they're ok as well. The issue is that since there are so many characters, between new class VII and old class VII, as well as the cast from Sky Ao/Zero, sometimes the dialogue and focus wane a bit.

Often times you'll be required to take certain characters in your party for story reasons, and then you can pick 2-3 of your own personal choice to join you during that part of the story. Of course, you can already probably tell those ones you picked will only get a smattering of lines here and there compared to the required party members.

EDIT: So as a result, sometimes character development gets stifled. However, the Bonding events pick up the slack there. Additionally, I think that new class VII gets a bulk of the character development through out the main story.
Thanks for the detailed answer.

Yeah, the big cast seems to be a problem for a lot of people. Let's see how this will turn out.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017

lol

Unpopular opinion incoming.

I read this, can't say I won't get annoyed by some of the stuff they mentioned (assuming their assessment is right), but I still can't take this review seriously cause it seems way too emotionally charged for my taste.

Don't get me wrong, I like my review to point out flaws, that's what they're for. I just don't like them sounding like a die-hard fan of the series throwing a tantrum. Gaming journalism, to me, should be that, journalism, and as such at least the emotional aspect should be removed from it or I feel like the person wasn't even trying to be objective about it. So the result is more of a "I personally didn't like this game because reason xxx" rather than a "This game is worse than it's predecessors for xxxx reason".

But to each their own. Fortunately, there are enough other reviews out there i feel like I can trust more to give me a more objective, less emotionally charged insight.

For what it's worth, I personally prefer your writing style for reviews.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'll be the first to admit that my Cold Steel IV review was pretty radically different from the type of review I would normally write - I feel like I did a good enough job explaining why I took that approach in the review itself, though.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Even though I wrote a review for my site, I still personally really enjoyed your review. I think it's good to get a nice balance of review styles and thought it was a fantastic read.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be the first to admit that my Cold Steel IV review was pretty radically different from the type of review I would normally write - I feel like I did a good enough job explaining why I took that approach in the review itself, though.

I definitely enjoyed reading it! It was good to see a super-fan's perspective on it as well

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, even if I could afford it on day 1 I'd still wait for it to drop to 20 like I did with the other CS games. Sounds like it takes the many flaws of this arc to the extreme.