• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Well, i'm done with Ao no Kiseki and yeah, the final boss was a major pain in the ass. Thanks for the tip about the Burst Orbs!

I didn't felt sad about finishing the Crossbell Duology knowing i'm going to see more of the cast in CS3 (I'm more than ready for more Randy) and CS4. The revelation how KeA change the "timeline" for putting it in a some way to save Lloyd and others was really cool. Also I was suprised how Mariabell is now a Anguis. I guess she's replacing Weissmann right?. I like that.

Beating Arios and Sigmund was kinda eh, but for once, some party members are really strong (Wazy, Rixia and Randy) so it feels possible. In that sense I feel Rixia was kinda nerfed or she was overhyped. But oh well, I shouldn't look at powerlevels too much.

Crossbell Arc was really good, I enjoyed it a lot. It has the best OST and the best cast for me.

Also I'm glad there's no more games in the old engine left for me to play. It's not bad but CS feels miles better imo. Anyway, I'm so excited for CS3 which has everything to be my favorite game in the Trails Series. It feels unreal there's just one week left.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Well, i'm done with Ao no Kiseki and yeah, the final boss was a major pain in the ass. Thanks for the tip about the Burst Orbs!

I didn't felt sad about finishing the Crossbell Duology knowing i'm going to see more of the cast in CS3 (I'm more than ready for more Randy) and CS4. The revelation how KeA change the "timeline" for putting it in a some way to save Lloyd and others was really cool. Also I was suprised how Mariabell is now a Anguis. I guess she's replacing Weissmann right?. I like that.

Beating Arios and Sigmund was kinda eh, but for once, some party members are really strong (Wazy, Rixia and Randy) so it feels possible. In that sense I feel Rixia was kinda nerfed or she was overhyped. But oh well, I shouldn't look at powerlevels too much.

Crossbell Arc was really good, I enjoyed it a lot. It has the best OST and the best cast for me.

Also I'm glad there's no more games in the old engine left for me to play. It's not bad but CS feels miles better imo. Anyway, I'm so excited for CS3 which has everything to be my favorite game in the Trails Series. It feels unreal there's just one week left.

I'm glad the advice about the burst orbs was helpful.
There's some fanon that something similar happened at the beginning of CS1. And made the revelation in Ao even more surprising, since people who played CS1 figured it was the same thing again.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's some fanon that something similar happened at the beginning of CS1. And made the revelation in Ao even more surprising, since people who played CS1 figured it was the same thing again.
Kondo tried to deny it last year but i'm just going to rule it canon by default
the same thing happens in CS3 tho

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Kondo tried to deny it last year but i'm just going to rule it canon by default
the same thing happens in CS3 tho

Yeah, but that's a bit more understandable, since you see the missing characters in the school, and can imagine they just move over to class 7 before the scene at the start (since they're all in the same year, unlike Crow), whereas Millium is introduced as an antagonist. And I guess they just wanted to keep it a secret that Crow joins, for some reason.

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, but that's a bit more understandable, since you see the missing characters in the school, and can imagine they just move over to class 7 before the scene at the start (since they're all in the same year, unlike Crow), whereas Millium is introduced as an antagonist. And I guess they just wanted to keep it a secret that Crow joins, for some reason.
it still works in the timeline though

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
that would make sense, since those canons firing would've wiped crossbell and the SSS off the map, so it stands to reason that KeA would rewrite that too

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
that would make sense, since those canons firing would've wiped crossbell and the SSS off the map, so it stands to reason that KeA would rewrite that too

True, and since they both take place concurrently, it would make sense. And it's kind of the same change, having them meet a girl with an advance mecha that helps them....course, the fix was that they were loaded with blanks, so I'm not sure what Millium and Crow added, which is different from Renne, who's assistance obviously made all the difference.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see all the great reviews. It's still going to take me a few more months until I'm done with Crossbell, hopefully a PC version is announced in the meantime, if not I'll just go with the PS4 version.
Is Ao about the same lenght as Zero?

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
going right into Ao after Zero also is a bit much to be honest, it immediately feels slow and long with a dip in writing quality, at some point i had to put it down for a month because i was sick of it

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
going right into Ao after Zero also is a bit much to be honest, it immediately feels slow and long with a dip in writing quality, at some point i had to put it down for a month because i was sick of it

Is that so? Hm, I'm almost done with Zero, maybe I'll tackle something else before Ao. I put a few games I was playing on the backburner because of Zero, maybe I'll finish those first. I like Zero a lot though, I don't see myself resisting jumping into Ao straight away lol. It's hard for me to get burned out on something since my gaming time is so sparse, I'm also always playing something else on the side along with my "main" game, otherwise I spend several months just playing whatever rpg I'm tackling at the moment which can get boring.

Man, I miss Sara, I hope she gets a lot of screen time in CS3.
I considered replaying CS1 and 2 on PC, I played them on the PS3 and figured that with turbo mode I'd able to squeeze them into my schedule to enjoy the games with improved graphics and performance and also use NG+ save files to see all bonding events and the black records but I just can't find the time. I'll have to check out the black records on youtube.

Edit: well, that was certainly interesting, it's nice to have a clearer picture of Erebonia's story.

Last edited:

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
It's a long game. I'm kinda perfectionist and I shuddered every time I completed a chapter, fully aware how many NPCs I have to check at the beginning of next chapter. And the toll of playing the game on non-native language surely exhausted me a lot more than I expected. That's said, I have been playing straight from Zero to CS3 without touching any side game and I totally plan to finish CS4 before year ends. Zero took me 133 hours, Ao took 155 hours, CS3's time is unreliable as the time keeps running even when I put PS4 on sleep.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Image1.jpg

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Zero, Ao and CS1 had it. They stopped including it from CSII on, though. Maybe they thought it no longer counted as an achievement by that point...

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
So it seems Campanella's voice is getting... mixed reactions.

It's not bad, but it's definitely not what I was expecting. Especially playing SC with the Evo voices and hearing how calm but pompous his voice is. This one makes him sound more like a jester or something, which is appropriate but not what I envisioned coming off of the Japanese voice.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019

Oh that's really interesting. It kinda makes me want to play CS1 and CS2 again to look for other references about Zero and Ao but I got no time for that lol

Also, i'm wondering how it's the platinum for CS3, if it follows the same structure as the previous games. I'm thinking about doing my first walkthrough in Hard with JP voices and then a second one in Nightmare with the dub.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Oh that's really interesting. It kinda makes me want to play CS1 and CS2 again to look for other references about Zero and Ao but I got no time for that lol

Also, i'm wondering how it's the platinum for CS3, if it follows the same structure as the previous games. I'm thinking about doing my first walkthrough in Hard with JP voices and then a second one in Nightmare with the dub.

Why play the game that way? Why different dubs for different difficulties?

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Well, I always play JRPGs with japanese voices if I have the option. I played CS1/CS2 when only the dub was available, and it was actually really good. I love Sara, Vita and Fie's voices for example. So, if i'm going to play the game twice, like I did with CS1/CS2 I could use the dub in my second walkthrough to appreciate it.

About the difficulty, I like to always play in Normal/Hard before jumping to Nightmare.

That's it, I know it's kinda silly though.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I always play JRPGs with japanese voices if I have the option. I played CS1/CS2 when only the dub was available, and it was actually really good. I love Sara, Vita and Fie's voices for example. So, if i'm going to play the game twice, like I did with CS1/CS2 I could use the dub in my second walkthrough to appreciate it.

About the difficulty, I like to always play in Normal/Hard before jumping to Nightmare.

That's it, I know it's kinda silly though.

Ah, I agree with you about Sara and Vita's voices. I don't hate Fie's, she just didn't capture my attention. But yeah, the dub for CS1 and 2 is excellent, and one of the non-negotiable things about CS3 (and 4) was getting the dub cast back. if they hadn't, I wouldn't've gotten it. There's a couple of changes in the voice cast, but they got almost all of them, and that's good enough.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So having beaten TCoS III, for people that have beaten IV and understood it, can you clear up some fears for me?

How much of this actually gets wrapped up in IV? I've heard a lot of mixed reactions about it and at the end of III, there's a ton of threads still open and need covering.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
So having beaten TCoS III, for people that have beaten IV and understood it, can you clear up some fears for me?

How much of this actually gets wrapped up in IV? I've heard a lot of mixed reactions about it and at the end of III, there's a ton of threads still open and need covering.
I'd say a big yes, but then also a medium no.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I know this would've been a shit ton of work, but I was a little disappointed that you didn't get to play as the other group of students on their field trips in new game + in CS1. I kind of wanted to see how their trips went.
Especially the first one, with Jusis and Mathias' meltdown.

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

it all gets cleaned up besides some small points that basically are there as a setup for the next arc

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone has a summary video/text for post chapter 4 for Ao no kiseki? I watched LadyVirgillia vids which are fantastic but it ended with just Chapter 4 (where shit just got real).

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished a replay of Cold Steel II in time for Cold Steel III.

Now that I've played Ao, it was nice to play through Cold Steel II and understand some of the stuff I glossed over on my first playthrough. I had completely forgotten that Dieter Crois being arrested was mentioned in CSII, even though it was mentioned a few times. Also completely forgot that Grace and Cao appeared in the Divertissement. And it was also nice to actually know who Lloyd and Rixia were talking about every time they mentioned a name.

And I wonder why they decided to make the revelation that Thomas is a Dominion in the Gralsritter NG+-only. I know it's not all that relevant to CSII's plot, but apparently it's something that's important to know for future games? They must know that most people aren't going to play through the game twice.

Last edited:

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it was just them doing the same thing they did with Crossbell duology. Still,

CS3 automatically assumes that you did play them and has them referenced.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Finished a replay of Cold Steel II in time for Cold Steel III.

Now that I've played Ao, it was nice to play through Cold Steel II and understand some of the stuff I glossed over on my first playthrough. I had completely forgotten that Dieter Crois being arrested was mentioned in CSII, even though it was mentioned a few times. Also completely forgot that Grace and Cao appeared in the Divertissement. And it was also nice to actually know who Lloyd and Rixia were talking about every time they mentioned a name.

And I wonder why they decided to make the revelation that Thomas is a Dominion in the Gralsritter NG+-only. I know it's not all that relevant to CSII's plot, but apparently it's something that's important to know for future games? They must know that most people aren't going to play through the game twice.

I agree with you, re divertissement. It was fun to know what was going on when I played it after Ao.

man nothing like a new game to really revive this thread, who's making the OT?

I believe it was mentioned up thread, tho I'm failing at remembering their name.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Trails of cold steel 3 |OT| Featuring Stelle from the TitS series
Trails of cold steel 3 |OT| Schwarzer, Faster, Stronger.
Trails of cold steel 3 |OT| Free Crossbell (and Hong Kong)
Trails of cold steel 3 |OT| VALIMAR: THE SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trails of Cold Steel III |OT| Instructor Rean's Headpatting 101

Trails of Cold Steel III |OT| Olivert's VII

Trails of Cold Steel III |OT| All Trails lead here

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Trails of Cold Steel III |OT| You can totally start with this one, pinky swear
Trails of Cold Steel III |OT| Now with 20% more Prinnies
Trails of Cold Steel III |OT| Friendship with XSeed ended, NISA my BFF now

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Trials of Cold Steal 3 |OT| All Trails lead to NISA

I'm not sure why the Thomas scene is locked to New Game+. It's quite baffling. The prerequisites for the scene are surprisingly strict, too, and are easy enough to miss that most first-time players wouldn't be able to see the scene. It's a cool scene, although I think people overstate how important it is to watch it prior to Cold Steel 3; the only crucial information that gets conveyed is that Thomas is a Dominion and Rosine is a Squire. It'd be simple enough to grasp what's going on as soon as Thomas is referred to as a Dominion in Cold Steel 3. I still think it's stupid how hard Falcom made it to watch the scene, though.