• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a commission I had done of the best girl's best girl, Anelace Elfaed:

anelacecommissionv7jwc.png

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Third's writing and plot developments and would say it's definitely worth playing, but didn't find it quite as compelling as the other games because of the way the whole thing was setup - a great deal of the appeal of the Trails games to me is the exploration and world-building and incidental NPCs, and substituting those with a stripped-down dungeon crawl meant the game struggled to hold momentum for me.
if you love the lore, the shit you see in this game is definitely worth it. some things are really memorable and impactful. its worth playing through at least once.
i didnt like it at start either but its pretty short (around 20 hours with turbo and a guide)

Oct 25, 2017
if you love the lore, the shit you see in this game is definitely worth it. some things are really memorable and impactful. its worth playing through at least once.
i didnt like it at start either but its pretty short (around 20 hours with turbo and a guide)

I have no clue how you could do third in anywhere close to 20 hours, turbo or otherwise. I spent 70 hours on it.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
I have no clue how you could do third in anywhere close to 20 hours, turbo or otherwise. I spent 70 hours on it.
by skipping ALL the unnecessary encounters. and i do mean ALL. i basically ran through locations without fighting anyone. as soon as you get cloak - no more fighting lmao.
game is pretty easy and broken and levels you up really fast when you are underleveled.
and with 100% guide open on a second monitor i knew exactly what to do, where to go and how to solve the puzzles

i did FC/SC in like 50-70. third is really short

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to know, what are people's thoughts on Trails in the Sky the Third?

I just started playing this series, and I really loved the first two games, but I just started playing a little bit into the Third and it's just... Not what I expected at all. I hear from people that it's good, but I don't know, I just feel a total lack of drive to play through it. Maybe I just need to return to it later after my expectations have been reset, idk.

Sorry if this has been asked and discussed 1000 times already. I've been playing the series mostly blind and haven't read many other people's opinions.

I'll add my answer as it's different than most on the title. The Third is my least favorite Kiseki title (going up to Cold Steel II since I haven't played Cold Steel III or IV yet) . In short, I found Kevin's story and relationship lackluster and never living up to the series' past revelations. The structure of Choose-Your-Own-Team came with the sacrifice of having a laughable series of events bringing everyone together and touching on their prior events without the need of an interconnected world in order to do so. It's like the throwaway Final/New Game+/Epilogue dungeons from many JRPGs, but as an entire game.

After coming from backtracking to town's with unique NPCs updating you on their thoughts on recent events international and personal, it was closer to a nightmare. Multiple loose ends hurried behind magical doors in a magical place made for a sloppy entry that I have no care to come to terms with. For anyone following the series, it should still be played as it does come with vital lore details, but it was largely an unfortunate narrative experience save a few doors.

by skipping ALL the unnecessary encounters. and i do mean ALL. i basically ran through locations without fighting anyone. as soon as you get cloak - no more fighting lmao.
game is pretty easy and broken and levels you up really fast when you are underleveled.
and with 100% guide open on a second monitor i knew exactly what to do, where to go and how to solve the puzzles

i did FC/SC in like 50-70. third is really short

Indeed, the Third is really short by comparison (and for good reason with the structure). It took me about 40 hours to complete and I took my sweet time with what little town/NPC exploration is truly available. I only used Turbo for traversing the slog of a giant dungeon and small battles. I speak to every NPC multiple times in any Kiseki game and completed every door made available here. I'll admit 20 hours seems short (unless you mean 20+ hours leaning on 27-29), but perhaps it's doable with skipping by all the floating staircases, of which there are many many many. Who was your favorite team setup?

Last edited:

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
Ive gone through all the Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel games available in English with a collective 375 hours total and I have to say, this is my absolute favorite RPG series now and eagerly await the next 375 hours of this series.

All the soundtracks have entered my regular listening rotation and while I think FC's soundtrack is pretty average, all the other games have amazing soundtracks that I will probably never get tired of listening to.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
Who was your favorite team setup?
renne

rest of the party didnt matter as she obliterated everything with arts, but for the sake of it:
anelace because of her op door sword and immune accessory to def down from self-buff
richard for skill spam
and last one was story-reserved, so kevin mostly

soundtrack is amazing

ara

Oct 26, 2017
For the Sky games, FC and SC's OSTs never did that much for me, but The 3rd's was pretty amazing. Clear standouts were absolutely these two:

Reminds me of something like 999 or VLR which I loved, so, you know..

Other songs in the Sky games were solid tries, but this is the first battle theme that actually feels epic to me and gets me fucking pumped to smack this demon in the face.

Maybe I should've mentioned the OST in my The 3rd post in the RPG Community thread too, seems like The 3rd blows the preceding games out of the water in that department too. While I actually agree with everyone who says a major part of their enjoyment of the series is all the NPCs, the exploration, the relatively organic world-building through those NPCs and exploration etc., I still feel like I enjoyed The 3rd much more than FC and SC. I guess the first two games ultimately just don't do much for me.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, regarding Lloyd and Elie's relationship in the latest Kiseki databook.

Huh. Guess they're finally moving away from the "choose your own romance!" that's crippling the protagonists.

Wonder if it covers Maybelle's relationship with Lila...

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017

Huh. Guess they're finally moving away from the "choose your own romance!" that's crippling the protagonists.

wonder if it confirms Rean/Alisa too, though that's much more doubtful

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Shipping Rean is the current hotness, if they confirm anything it will be partway through the next arc.
Post CS4 shipping poll spoilers, I haven't played CS4 personally but if you haven't you should probably avoid this unless you've already seen said poll:
Like at this point Falcom is well aware of what the most popular Rean ship is. They might confirm ReanxAlisa eventually, but whilst they're selling body pillows it's in their best interest to keep things vague. Capitalism yo!

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Aww, they used "恋心", how romantic lol. And of course KeA is "みんなの娘". Damn now I want this databook.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So with Cold Steel II's second playthrough events, is this required for Cold Steel III? Also, on turbo mode, how quickly can I do this on a second playthrough only focusing on this stuff (not too bothered about the plat) as I still have Trails in the Sky the third and the two crossbell games to play before CSIII in Sept.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
So with Cold Steel II's second playthrough events, is this required for Cold Steel III? Also, on turbo mode, how quickly can I do this on a second playthrough only focusing on this stuff (not too bothered about the plat) as I still have Trails in the Sky the third and the two crossbell games to play before CSIII in Sept.

It's very important for CS3, but you don't have to replay the game again if you don't wanna. There are videos online/pages you can read that show the NG+ scene. Just search for "CS2 Black Records" on Youtube. If you choose to do a second playthrough, you can do it really fast with NG+ carryover bonuses and turbo mode, just use a guide so you don't miss any of the black records and the steps needed to unlock the scene/journal entries. Just keep in mind that if you do replay it, the scene doesn't happen till right before the very end of the game.

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Beat Trails SC the other day. Pretty fantastic experience over all, but I'm going to wait to play 3rd. Too long a game to just dive into another one.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

it being confirmed here just is proof that they will not have any relevance to the plot anymore

Astraer just watch a video online and read the records, the lore is very interesting to know and the CS3 assumes you have seen the scene that everyone always talks about regarding this quest

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Happy anniversary sky1. I find a little sad thay falcom imho has not topped the strong feeling of estelle+Joshua.
Looking forward cs3+4 anyway to see the real ao no kiseki ending.
Cs1+2 were disappointing given the potential lore so far and hopefully the second act Will redeem falcom

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Finally playing Zero and even through the rough fan translation this one feels special. The core party is really good.

Yeah, one of the main advantages it has over the Liberl and Erebonia sagas is that the main party interactions are tight tight tight due to the smaller core party There's much less room for loose end characters and hurriedly added backstory nonsense.

Happy anniversary sky1. I find a little sad thay falcom imho has not topped the strong feeling of estelle+Joshua.
Looking forward cs3+4 anyway to see the real ao no kiseki ending.
Cs1+2 were disappointing given the potential lore so far and hopefully the second act Will redeem falcom

Yeah, I was holding my breath for a while (even for a protagonist as good as Estelle) and have let go. I'm going into Cold Steel 3 with very little expectations sadly.

Last edited:

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice to know which VAs were gonna be at the panel itself so we could ask specific questions, but I'm sure Sean will at least be there though. Either way I hope my question gets asked.

I hope the NISA booth at AX isn't the shit show the XSEED one was at points last year based on some of the stories I've heard. While NISA deserves criticism every step of the way, Kiseki fans are no question one of the worst fanbases in gaming with how toxic they can be towards others and I'm sure more than a few of those people are gonna show up.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It'd be nice to know which VAs were gonna be at the panel itself so we could ask specific questions, but I'm sure Sean will at least be there though. Either way I hope my question gets asked.

I hope the NISA booth at AX isn't the shit show the XSEED one was at points last year based on some of the stories I've heard. While NISA deserves criticism every step of the way, Kiseki fans are no question one of the worst fanbases in gaming with how toxic they can be towards others and I'm sure more than a few of those people are gonna show up.
What happened last year?

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor3uj0y.gif

(Kevin made a good side character though.)

Thanks for posting this. Not sure what I'd ask...

Hmm. Between him and Estelle, i'd argue that he's the better character. Backstory, character development, and place in the universe. Estelle is a strong character, but she's undeniably boosted by the fact that she's a one of a kind.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I'm getting back my PS4 so I'll be able to get Cold Steel 3 after all. Can't wait!!! Rean's Design in it is still so cool, but I've managed to avoid damn near everything and everyone else minus a few new students.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a CS2-related question to those who've played CS3 and CS4.

Are the Cryptids and Lost Arts ever brought up? They interest me, but were hardly given any sort of time in CS2 outside of existing. It's fine if you just give a simple "yes" or "no", or "kinda", just don't go into details.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
This is purely hearsay on my part, but I believe the latter aren't brought up and don't even appear in CS3. (you get different ways of breaking the game over your knee) The former, I believe, are addressed in the plot.

Last edited:

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

Those are just shitty people and that think in the companies before the people working there.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So I just youtubed the Black Records scene after finishing Cold Steel II yesterday, how the hell was something that important hidden behind a NG+.