• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Hopefully that's it and he just wants to leave and help others out during this time and nothing to do with Nintendo doing him wrong or something.
Yeah, I mean it sounds like his new thing is coming soon by the way he signs off, so it would make no sense to see him leaving as shade throwing if its been in the pipeline a while.

I mean, who knows, could well be in a few months he outs there was some big drama, just seems like something very thin to pounce on in what seems like would be a fairly generic statement at any other time.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I mean it sounds like his new thing is coming soon by the way he signs off, so it would make no sense to see him leaving as shade throwing if its been in the pipeline a while.

I mean, who knows, could well be in a few months he outs there was some big drama, just seems like something very thin to pounce on in what seems like would be a fairly generic statement at any other time.
I think it's the timing that is causing people to be suspicious. Hopefully there's nothing wrong.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Kirk is one of many third party relations managers to leave in the last few years(Damon Baker, Ed Valiente, Katie Caspar all left as well) there's clearly something Nintendo needs to fix about how they do things.

At the very least I sincerely hope it's because of that and not a reflection of a lack of inclusiveness.

Either way sort your shit out Nintendo. You shouldn't be losing good people.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo losing both Damon and Kirk over the past year is kind of a big deal. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't forget how successful indies have been on Switch and continues to prioritize them.

Edit - Oh yeah, Katie Casper left as well. Yikes

Oct 25, 2017
The indie relations pipeline with Nintendo has certainly gotten better for game developers relatively, but evidentially its the same song and dance for the internal workings when it comes to those relations. I do know a few people that still don't have a switch dev kit while the more asset flippy ones that sneak in through an established connection still get one.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Considering Kirk is one of many third party relations managers to leave in the last few years(Damon Baker, Ed Valiente, Katie Caspar all left as well) there's clearly something Nintendo needs to fix about how they do things.

At the very least I sincerely hope it's because of that and not a reflection of a lack of inclusiveness.

Yup something seems to be wrong with that position. I almost want to say they are asked to do a lot and not given enough latitude. Dan Adleman was in that position too.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep that's how I read it as well

Lots of high-profile turnover in the developer outreach department at NOA lately, they must be doing something wrong there

This is exactly what I mean. People leave companies for all sorts of reasons and Nintendo has among the higher level of retention of employees of man tech companies. People thought things would go to shit with indies when Damon Baker left and, surprise surprise they didn't, and have, if anything, continued his work and gotten even better. Some of you love a good head canon, because the mundanity of reality just isn't enough.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I mean his face says it all.

ywaxhlT.jpg

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I really liked this guy. Doesn't seem like he left on the best of terms, unfortunately, based on that wording.

Best of luck to Kirk on his future endeavours!

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Gotta get some faces in Nintendo again now that Iwata, Reggie, Damon Baker, Kirk Scott, etc aren't there anymore

Bill Trinin barely exists in the public now ever since the Wii U era vanished
I've been saying this long before current world events have been happening. Nintendo has been trying to distance themselves away from anything related to the Wii/Wii U era, most notable in the Switch's lack of OS features and no more Virtual Console.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Yeah, I definitely read this as something with internal Nintendo policy is not great and the parting is perhaps not on the best terms.

If that's the case, NCL needs to wake the fuck up. It could also just be the timing of it all. Can't blame people for feeling tired right now.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
title should be changed, guy just called out nintendo's racism
That's far fetched. It's about small indie devs not getting enough exposure. The bigger more experienced indie devs get more support and the smaller ones either can't even get a dev kit or get no exposure for one reason or another.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I actually talked to Kirk at a past E3 and I got not the nicest guy vibes from him, of course he could of just been tired since E3 is a lot of work, but I don't know...

Edit: lol this was my experience, he was great at Nintendo but he just seemed over it when it came to being in the public view.

Last edited:

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Sounds like maybe he was feeling burned out or Nintendo wasn't as helpful as he thought they should be with indie relationships.

I would hope if it was about racism or discrimination of some sort of all times now would be the time to say something crystal clear about it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

I'd imagine the company structure of every big decision (and some small) being beholden to Japan is a big part of what's grinding people down. It wasn't always that way though, NOA seemed to have a lot more agency in 1990s.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
If some of you guys can read this and seriously not think there's shade in there, I don't know what to tell you. If he didn't intend to do it, it was a really weirdly worded sign off.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
My totally uneducated guess is that he and perhaps some other black Nintendo employees may have been pushing to release a statement about the recent events and encountered some friction. Perhaps upper management was not very receptive, or things took longer than they should due to every major decision or statement needing an approval from NCL in Japan (even if, in this case, said statement has to do with basic human rights). This probably wasn't the only frustrating aspect of his job at Nintendo but this particular issue affecting him on a personal level could have been the last straw.

Oct 25, 2017
Without further context, I initially read this statement to mean that the events of 2020 made him realize where his focus and joy was coming from, and those are things he can't necessarily achieve at Nintendo or not at the capacity he would like to (aka as a primary focus).

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Without further context, I initially read this statement to mean that the events of 2020 made him realize where his focus and joy was coming from, and those are things he can't necessarily achieve at Nintendo or not at the capacity he would like to, (aka, as a primary focus).
This is the correct takeaway.

Some of you folks are getting drama from this where there is none.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Without further context, I initially read this statement to mean that the events of 2020 made him realize where his focus and joy was coming from, and those are things he can't necessarily achieve at Nintendo or not at the capacity he would like to, (aka, as a primary focus).
I'll assume this much for the time being as well, at least until he speaks up more about it. We've heard a lot from previous names in that particular position, so there's a good chance we'll eventually hear more from Kirk as well. I wouldn't say Nintendo have gotten weaker about publisher/developer relations since the Dan Adelman days, but out of the employees leaving NoA that particular position is usually the one that seems the most "cursed" for lack of a better word and the biggest blind spot they've yet to cover (contrast to Eric Smith who was another notable person at NoA who left and had nothing but good things to say instead).

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the tweet does seem a little... interesting in the way it's phrased and the timing of things but seeing the twitter replies all just be the usual goodbyes makes me think maybe I'm looking too much into it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't think he's leaving on the best of terms, but people leave gaming companies all the times and i think some of the replies here are reading way too much into that statement.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Without further context, I initially read this statement to mean that the events of 2020 made him realize where his focus and joy was coming from, and those are things he can't necessarily achieve at Nintendo or not at the capacity he would like to (aka as a primary focus).
Yeah, why mention February if this was just about Nintendo's response to the protests? Maybe it helped push him over the edge, but people are jumping to some conclusions by excluding whole sections of the statement.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
There is definitely shade in that post. Doesn't mean he left on bad terms or anything. But I dunno how you miss the obvious shade present.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, why mention February if this was just about Nintendo's response to the protests? Maybe it helped push him over the edge, but people are jumping to some conclusions by excluding whole sections of the statement.
Not really he specifically talks about minorities in his tweet and puts everyone on caps. I don't things he's calling them out as racist per se, but he's definitely calling them out for not being as inclusive as they claim to be.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Not really he specifically talks about minorities in his tweet and puts everyone on caps. I don't things he's calling them out as racist per se, but he's definitely calling them out for not being as inclusive as they claim to be.

Nintendo has in the past been criticized by its employees in Kirk's position for not providing support to smaller indies or indies that didn't have the same connections as others. That's likely what he's referring to, not any actual preferential treatment based on race.

The timing does make it seem very suspect though.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
While there is shade being thrown, Kirk doesn't say anything in his tweet indicating when he decided to leave. In the U.S., it's generally customary that employees give two weeks notice before they leave so that they can wind down work, hand off duties, etc.

So if he woke up this morning and quit, effective immediately, that would be surprising and concerning. If he handed in his notice two weeks ago, it's still surprising (to us) but not necessarily as concerning.