• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
With SNES games on Switch, I've been replaying Dream Land 3 and really just appreciating this game all over again.

There's something Kirby fans often call the "Dark Matter Trilogy" or "Shimomura Trilogy" as a reference to the games directed by Shinichi Shimomura: Kirby's Dream Land 2, Kirby's Dream Land 3, and Kirby 64. They tend to be slower and more platforming-focused than most Kirby games, with less abilities but designed around ability combinations: either with animal partners, or by combining individual abilities in Kirby 64. Some people are not big fans of these titles since they're quite different from the others, but they were some of my primary experiences with Kirby growing up, although 64 tends to be favored, I think Dream Land 3 is the best of the bunch.

The animal friends are adorable and Gooey makes for some fun co-op.

2400-218699-KirbysDreamLand31997Nintendojpg-620x.jpg

The art style is gorgeous.

1365132498445.png

fYv0KeO.png

Kirbys-Dream-Land-3-Dark-Matter.jpg

The music is great!

One thing that's notable is a lot of enemies and elements commonly associated with 64 originate in Dream Land 3. While I do love 64 a lot, I feel like DL3 is a well rounded platformer that has a lot to offer. The stages are well designed and although it isn't exactly challenging, I think it definitely holds the player's attention and getting 100% isn't as easy as it looks.

Also, Samus has a cameo in it. Between this and SMRPG, maybe that explains why she went missing during the N64...

0bcaa1eb4f878a5bda86da01990c2321311ad5f2_hq.jpg

This is a really solid, well-done title that gets overlooked because it came out over a year after the Nintendo 64 released. I believe it was the last SNES title published by Nintendo, but it's as good of a send-off as any. Its big brother, Super Star, is fantastic, but for anyone looking for a vibrant, pleasant platformer that'll make you smile, check out Dream Land 3 on the SNES app.

Apr 21, 2018
I think this one like, completely slipped me by my entire life. Kirby Super Star always kind of took the spotlight in my childhood.

Thanks Mekanos, I'll start playing it .... right now!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a bad game, but it'd be a top tier Kirby if it weren't for the Heart Stars needed to access the final boss.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I always dismissed Dream Land 3 as a pretty low tier Kirby game, and I still think as a single player entry it's not great. But I started a 100% run with my partner earlier in the week on Switch, and we've been having an absolute blast. Everything that I didn't like about it as a single player game makes it really sing as a casual coop game, and it's probably my favorite SNES coop game now. And yeah, the music is maybe the best in the series, and it's also drop dead gorgeous.

I actually like most of the puzzles to get the star hearts or whatever the collectibles are; it's mostly pretty logical, and we're near the end of world 3 and have only had to look up one solution. Save states help with that, though.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think the big issue with this game is that it came after Super Star but basically acted like it didn't exist (Well, Chief Kawasaki is there, but that's fairly minor). Now, in hindsight, it's easy to look at DL3 and 64 as just a different style of Kirby games since Super Star eventually became the mold, but for more than a decade it felt like HAL was just ignoring Super Star for no reason.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if you can roll with Kirby (not my thing with age, just stupid easy) it's pretty much *the* hidden gem of the snes not getting into deep deep cuts and non localized stuff.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Animal Friends are legit genius but they're not as immediately satisfying as 64's power mixing, plus there's usually one solution you have to go with per level.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I played it for the first time after I finished Planet Robobot. It just felt so...sluggish. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Mar 9, 2018
I'm one of the haters. I thought this game was boring. But I liked the concept of the animal friends and the art style's cute. But the abilities aren't as fun as SS. The music isn't as good. It doesn't have the variety.

Kirby SuperStar is just way more exciting and fun.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Best kirb allies, best kirb OST, worst running implementation with the camera failing to keep up and oh god why?!

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game that got lost in the shuffle due to its timing and not being Super Star. Its soundtrack was a meme for a good while, for what it's worth.

Nago is very good, however.

cq910i4.gif

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Started a little bit on BSNES could not really get into it. I prefer other Kirby games on Wii and such.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also adore this game, yeah the powers arent as creative as superstar or the current games. But the art style, music, and atmosphere are so damn catchy i actually enjoy it more than super star

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing it for the first time now thanks to SNES online. I love Kirby 64 so I always wanted to give this a shot. Though I may end up picking Rick every level of possible.