• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this game had a crazy ride. hoping for a switch port, but I'll play the updated PC copy if they give it for free

data

Oct 25, 2017
"rumors"

Well glad to hear about it earlier than later. Hoping to see a trailer soon

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Been wanting to play this for a while and just never got around to it for one reason or another. Might as well wait to see what this improves.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I want to play it again, but hopefully this can lead to a sequel further down the road. I enjoyed the world and lore and I wouldn't mind more.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Depending on how it's priced and what the gameplay tweaks are I might play this again. I don't think I finished it the first time.

Making the final continent more than just a straight line to the final boss would be a nice touch.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I really enjoyed Reckoning and its DLC. I may get it on PC on deep discount, but maybe I have spent enough time with the original. 60fps and nice textures could be cool... It depends. If it's a HD remaster on the same level as Saint's Row 3, so many gorgeous regions would be worth revisiting, like the desert. Seeing regions like this with far better lighting would be a treat.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb name aside, this is so awesome. Amalur is by far my favourite RPG that isn't top down view. The combat system is glorious, the worlds are colourful and exciting, and progressing through them was just fantastic. The story was on the forgettable side but I'm looking forward to drop another hundred hours or so on this brilliant and criminally underrated game.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Curt Schilling is a giant piece of shit.

That said, I hope he has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
One of my favorite games of last gen!
Sad that it never got a sequel. I'll definitely be diving into this one. I had the pleasure of working with a lot of the folks who worked on this (and the studio's ill-fated other title) when Riot picked 'em up after the studio folded. Really talented group of people.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I really do hope this does well and they consider a sequel. There were things that could be improved for sure, and the series has the potential to be great if they improve a few things.
Any more info on what "refined gameplay" means?
From what the announcement said, it's still quite vague. No images or video released yet. We'll have to wait and see.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I'm not so interested in Curt Shilling, as I have no knowledge of him, but is this one of the EA remasters that they were boasting about earlier this year?

I remember THQ Nordiq saying the first game's rights were still theirs.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'm not so interested in Curt Shilling, as I have know knowledge of him, but is this one of the EA remasters that they were boasting about earlier this year?

I remember THQ Nordiq saying the first game's rights were still theirs.

I think all that meant was that they couldn't re-release the original version. Which is why there's a re-master with a legally distinct name, lol

EDIT: the original KoA:R is still available for sale by EA via Origin, I believe.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forget the bug where for the latter half of the game I couldn't use the fast travel because for some reason I accidentally killed a npc that I shouldn't be able to. Really ruined my experience having to walk everywhere

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
OMFG YEEEEEEEEEEEEES, this game was sooo good.

The combat and overall world was fantastic

Last edited:

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I take it there's no chance in hell for a Switch port?? If not, I'll settle for the XBL copy then

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing, I absolutely adored this game when it was released last generation. Huge shame what happened to the IP, as it had amazing potential.

Will definitely look to get this.
Are there any screenshots or videos of what they've done to improve the game? Would be appreciated.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
My dad will be so happy. I gave him the game and my 360 years ago and he still plays it.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Will NeoGAF member Curt Schilling profit from this?

He somewhat abruptly stopped posting on GAF when rumours of 38 Studios' dire financial situation began to surface not long after the game released, but no. Although launch window sales were actually fairly solid -- 1m+ -- Schilling's lack of managerial experience was so catastrophic for the company that the money wasn't enough to sustain development of the Amalur MMO beyond the short term, and the studio declared bankruptcy just a few months after Reckoning launched. At this point, its assets became the property of the Rhode Island government, as in mid-2010, Schilling secured a gigantic $75m loan from the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation to keep development chugging along, which, of course, hadn't been anywhere near repaid. Fast-forward to September 2018, and Nordic did what Nordic does best and bought the Amalur IP.

If you're in the mood for some light reading, Boston Magazine published a great write-up on the whole debacle.

Last edited:

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I read in yesterday's thread that he doesn't receive a dime anymore since THQ bought the property. This is second-hand information, though, so I don't have 100% confirmation of this. From what I see of its ownership, it does seem to be true, though.

Here's an article confirming that THQ purchased the rights to the game:
www.ign.com

THQ Nordic Buys Kingdoms of Amalur Franchise - IGN

THQ Nordic also acquired the Amalur property, based on the abandoned Copernicus MMORPG project.

38 Studios (the developer that Schilling founded) filed for bankruptcy in 2012 and was sued by the state of Rhode Island. While no criminal charges were filed, Schilling and other parties involved reached a $61 million settlement with the state. I know the assumption is that the state took control of all of their assets in that settlement, but a quick search didn't completely confirm that. Either way, it seems almost impossible that Schilling would see any money from THQ publishing the remaster now.

Mighty Twig

May 13, 2020
Silly name, but I'm so excited! I mentioned this in some other recent thread as one of my favorite games that doesn't belong to a series (never got a sequel). Let's go!

Redefined gameplay? Gotta see this!

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This game wears out its welcome by the first region/zone. Game did have a pretty neat combat system though which was a welcomed surprise.

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed the games a specially when my character blended magic and warrior style together so well, but the game is just mmo single player and I don't know if I wanna do that all over again.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forget the bug where for the latter half of the game I couldn't use the fast travel because for some reason I accidentally killed a npc that I shouldn't be able to. Really ruined my experience having to walk everywhere
Being a monster is not a bug! The walk of shame was appropriate.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Absolutely wild. Given the game's sordid history, I'd hope the employees of Big Huge Games who didn't get paid at the end, and the State of Rhode Island, would see some of the revenue from this, but that's likely too much to ask.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Am i the only one who didn't like the combat/grinding in this game ? Haven't finished it, tho i like the lore, since it's from R.A. Salvatore

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
This is great news. I attempted a replay on the ps3 a few months ago and everything just felt too loosy-goosey for me. I'd appreciate some extra camera control settings.

Bjorn

Feb 11, 2018
Denmark
I remember lending it from my local library and not being able to finish it before I had to return it due to all the side quests/clutter.