• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanokare

Nov 10, 2017
Sweet. Looking forward to this game and maybe some sequels finally. THQN has been releasing some great games so I'm excited for this for sure.

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019
I wanna know who the combat designers were on this game because they're brilliant!

im tickled that THQ owns the IP because I loved this game!!

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
I'm excited. Based on SpongeBob, Destroy All Humans and Saints Row 3, I think THQ Nordic gets my benefit of the doubt in terms of remakes or remasters for a while. Most of them have looked very impressive

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played like 30 minutes of the intro of the game and was so stocked because R.A.Salvatore worked on this, but i hated every minutes of it

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I wanna know who the combat designers were on this game because they're brilliant!

im tickled that THQ owns the IP because I loved this game!!

This game had potential to be so much more, R.A Salvatore's writing was excellent but I think it was limited to the Lore Stones and some of the background plot. Also the character and art design was Todd McFarlane outside of promotional material and some in-game static imagery didn't really translate too well to the character models.

The more interesting thing is Ken Rolston who was the lead designer for both Morrowind and Oblivion which after that left Bethesda to be the lead design for Kingdoms of Amalur.

I think Rolston leaving Bethesda was one of the biggest contributing factors on why Skyrim had less emphasis on RPG mechanics and stat building, which made the combat and mechanics suffer somewhat.

I wonder if he involved at all in any sort of supervisory role for the Amalur remaster.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
This game should have been WAY worse than it was. Salvatore + Schilling + McFarlane came together in this WTF smush of names with no apparent reason to coalesce. But the resulting game was actually pretty decent. The big problem was that Dark Souls and Skyrim each blew up in late 2011. Amalur hewed too closely to the old action-adventuring guard when it launched a few months later in February 2012, and nobody was hungry to regress with Amalur's formula at the time.

If this actually includes serious QoL tweaks, I might dive back in.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Guys. Guys. This is awesome. I love Kingdoms of Amalur. It took me in and gave me shelter after Skyrim turned out to be a bald-faced lie.

So excited.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I am VERY excited for this
Always wanted to try it but never got around to it
100% down

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty excited for this one, only played an hour or 2 before, always wanted to get back into it but didn't want to turn ps3 on

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the combat in this game. Was playing it a lot but dropped it once I heard it was acquired by THQ. I really want to play a remaster, but it's THQ so.....

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nice! Day one for me.

I haven't played it since its original release, but what QoL tweaks are you thinking of? I've seen others say the same.

the crafting system is the first thing that comes to mind. it was worthless for too much of the game's opening stretch, is what I noted from the review I wrote a zillion years ago. any other QoL changes would likely be a response to general adventure gaming improvements over past 8 years.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So where do the profits from sales go? The state of Rhode Island?

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I remember briefly playing this, and finding it to be a lot of fun, but ultimately never got into it, probably because I had too much to play.

Definitely going to check it out again.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
the crafting system is the first thing that comes to mind. it was worthless for too much of the game's opening stretch, is what I noted from the review I wrote a zillion years ago. any other QoL changes would likely be a response to general adventure gaming improvements over past 8 years.

Ah, interesting. Yeah, releasing a game with mechanics that were dated eight years ago might be tough for the general audience. I guess we'll see what the official announcement says, but I'm willing to bet this is "just" a graphical / performance remaster.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm down, I was playing the BC version recently. I will definitely be supporting this the combat was a lot of fun and the crafting was dumb easy. Always reminded me of an offline World of Warcraft

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
There is one particular quest I remember about this game. At the end of said quest you can side with the "villain" and become her lover. Which of course I did since I do not remember any game letting me do that before. Was funny the reaction of all the other NPCs.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I'd be down for this if it wasn't THQ Noridic who'd get my money. I was actually interested until I saw THQ Nordic.

There's too many games, and too little time. I'd rather not give my money to them.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I REALLY wanted this IP to become a series. I loved this game. If only Curt Schilling wasn't a dumbass and a POS.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Thq gonna remaster every ip they have? Spongebob this month, destroy all humans next, and then Amalur the month after that.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Holy crap. If they actually add the option to invert the camera then maybe I can give it a second shot.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know who was actually wanting a remaster of this tbh. I remember sinking a bit of time into it originally and feeling like the 20th hour felt almost identical to the first 20 minutues.

Same shallow fetch quests over and over. Same basic combat. It honestly felt like playing an MMO that had has its online functionality turned off. Lol.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I put 50 hours into this game. I don't remember much, but I remember enjoying it. It's a really generic fantasy game in every sense of the word, but it was nonetheless a really fun game with good combat iirc.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully, they patch the bugs in this game.

There are two bugs that I can recall that are game breakers.

One is a quest called "Her Righteous Fury". It's possible to bug this quest out that you cannot complete the quest (which disables your fast travel system).

The only bug I recall was in the Teeth DLC where you have to escape after beating the boss. I had to fight the boss three times before I could successfully escape.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm surprised to see so much positive being said about the game, it was one of the blandest RPG experiences i had.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know who was actually wanting a remaster of this tbh. I remember sinking a bit of time into it originally and feeling like the 20th hour felt almost identical to the first 20 minutues.

Same shallow fetch quests over and over. Same basic combat. It honestly felt like playing an MMO that had has its online functionality turned off. Lol.
You're not entirely wrong. It does have infinitely better combat than MMO though :P

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Like, Kingdoms of Amalur hit the note that the never released Fable 2 PC port would have hit.

It's so fucking good. I will stan shit until I die.

I had my fingers and toes crossed that the the belated PC port of Fable Anniversary would prove to be a wink and a nod that a PC port of Fable 2 was finally in the works. Zero chance of it happening now that xCloud is a thing, but better something than nothing, I suppose.

Last edited:

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We are officially in that era of remasters that even the B-games that nobody ever want to play again gets remastered.

Status
Not open for further replies.