• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
[Important] End of Service Announcement
Hello, Keyblade wielders.

Thank you for playing KINGDOM HEARTS Union χ Dark Road. We have an important announcement regarding the future of this title.

The KINGDOM HEARTS Union χ story will conclude this Apr. Following this, KINGDOM HEARTS Union χ Dark Road will end service on May 30, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. (PDT) / May 31, 2021 1:00 (UTC). An offline version of this app will be made available so players can enjoy the entire story. KINGDOM HEARTS Union χ Dark Road will be playable offline and KINGDOM HEARTS Union χ will be available as a theater mode.

It is with a heavy heart that we make this announcement, and we sincerely apologize for the news. The entire KHUXDR team is deeply grateful for all the support and enthusiasm players have shared throughout the years, and we look forward to what the future holds.

※ Please read the details regarding the offline version here.
※ Players' current data will transfer to the offline version. Please understand that following the end of service, player data will not transfer if the app is reinstalled after being deleted or changing to a different device. Please read the details regarding transferring player data here.
※ An offline version will not be released for the Amazon App Store.
※ Services and support may be discontinued in the future.

Schedule up to End of Service
・End of service announcement (today's announcement)
Feb. 24, 2021 10:00 p.m. (PST)
Feb. 25, 2021 6:00 (UTC)

・Suspension of Jewel sales (same as today's announcement)
Feb. 24, 2021 10:00 p.m. (PST)
Feb. 25, 2021 6:00 (UTC)
※ Any currently owned Jewels can be used until the end of service.
※ Google Play Points can no longer be used toward Jewel purchases from this date.

・End of service
May 30, 2021 6:00 p.m. (PDT)
May 31, 2021 1:00 (UTC)

Regarding the Offline Version
Following the end of service, the online version of KINGDOM HEARTS Union χ Dark Road will receive an update and become the offline version of the app. This version will be available for free to download and install.
※The planned schedule and contents are subject to change. We ask for your understanding.

■Offline version schedule

・End of service (maintenance starts)
May 30, 2021 6:00 p.m. (PDT)
May 31, 2021 1:00 (UTC)

・Offline version (Ver 4.4.0) release
May 30, 2021 after maintenance ends

・Offline version (Ver 5.0.0) update
Planned for end of September, 2021

■Offline version functionality
【 Ver 4.4.0 】
KINGDOM HEARTS
Union χ
◆Replay story in [Theater Mode]
- Watch the story from beginning to end
- Customize player avatar
※ Most avatar parts will be available for use regardless of what was owned in the online version.
- Change Keyblade
※ All Keyblades will be available regardless of what was owned in the online version.
※ Story Quests, events, Medal leveling and enhancement, and other playable parts of the game will no longer be available.

◆Play Mini Games [Classic Kingdom]
The 5 mini games that are currently available in the online version will transfer over to the offline version. There will be no rankings.

◆View your Records [Records]
You can view your records from the time of data transfer with the version update.
KINGDOM HEARTS
Dark Road
Unable to play with Ver 4.4.0 will not be playable.
It will be playable after the Ver 5.0.0 update.

【 Ver 5.0.0 】
KINGDOM HEARTS
Union χ
Same as Ver 4.4.0.
KINGDOM HEARTS
Dark Road
◆Enjoy the story and the battles in [Main Quest]
◆Replay the story in [Theater Mode]
※ Story will be unlocked up to the ending.

◆Earn BP and materials in [World Battle]
◆Level up and equip accessories in [Stats]
◆View the enemies you've defeated and Cards you own in [Enemy Album] & [Card Album]
◆Buy items with BP in the [Shop]
◆Craft accessories with the materials you've collected in [Crafting]

※ All Cards can be purchased with BP in the [Shop].
※ Missions, Events, PVE, Deals, and the Present Box will no longer be available following the end of service.
※ In accordance with the closure of Deals, Shop Points will no longer be available. It is recommended to use all Shop Points by the end of service.

How to Transfer Data
From Ver 4.3.0 to the release of Ver 4.4.0 (offline version), a portion of a player's data can be saved onto their device. Please do so by tapping [Save User Data] on the title screen.

※ This data will be saved onto the player's device and uninstalling the app or deleting the data will result in not being able to transfer so please proceed with caution.

■ Transferred data
KINGDOM HEARTS
Union χ
- Name
- Title
- Union
- Records

※ Name, Title, and Union can be changed after the offline version releases.
KINGDOM HEARTS
Dark Road
- Level
- Earned BP
- Main Quest progress
- Album (Enemies + Cards)
- Owned Card details
- Owned Accessory and Material details

※ Passive Effects will transfer with the Album and can continue to be obtained in the offline version.

We thank you, our players, again for your support and enthusiasm. A short time remains before the end of service on May 30, 2021, but we would love to see everyone continue to enjoy KINGDOM HEARTS Union χ Dark Road until then.

May your heart be your guiding key.

Feb. 24, 2021
KINGDOM HEARTS Union χ Dark Road Management Team​

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering when this would happen since it didn't seem to be doing great, and the story was wrapping up anyway, but didnt think it'd shut down completely so soon. At least there'll be an offline version for the story. Dark Road didn't last long either, though that'll still get updates.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I guess I should use all of the MTX Jewels I've been hoarding.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Glad this shadow over my fandom is finally dissipating. I occasionally visited to keep up with the story... but, man, it just sucked so bad.

Never even tried Dark Road.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Does this mark one of the handful of times Square-Enix tried to make an offline version of a mobile game? Final Fantasy Dimensions II is the only other one I can think of.

Never did this for Mobius though...

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so I can basically download this for free and play it without all the mobile grindy filler stuff that separated the story chapters for months? That's actually amazing if true

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, so I can basically download this for free and play it without all the mobile grindy filler stuff that separated the story chapters for months? That's actually amazing if true
from the sounds of the union X is just gonna be the cutscenes, it does however sound like dark road will still be playable

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
from the sounds of the union X is just gonna be the cutscenes, it does however sound like dark road will still be playable
that's extremely badass too. It's an important part of the story, this lowers the barrier to consuming it a LOT by not forcing people to either grind through a mobile game or watch a second hand recap video. Unless I'm misunderstanding? This is actually a really good thing.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
But how would they earn money for it if the service is ending and going offline? I don't see how they will be able to add new story stuff just for free in the future.
They're not going to be making money off the game. Jewel services have been taken offline tonight, the UX side of the game will be cutscene only, and DR's story will end in September with just a handful of content available to play to generate BP.

This is the announcement about the end of the service and how the game will progress http://api.sp.kingdomhearts.com/dark/information/detail/75153

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Damn Dark Road gone too. I didn't like the gameplay of either I hope they can do a KH MMO or MMO Lite in the future.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
They're not going to be making money off the game. Jewel services have been taken offline tonight, the UX side of the game will be cutscene only, and DR's story will end in September with just a handful of content to generate BP.
Oh so the story will end in September, I see that makes more sense.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
But how would they earn money for it if the service is ending and going offline? I don't see how they will be able to add new story stuff just for free in the future.

They figured out some plan so my guess would be that it's simply a good will gesture to wrap stuff up properly. The cutscenes are handled by like two people so they probably have enough assets from over the years that they can make them fairly cheap.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
that's extremely badass too. It's an important part of the story, this lowers the barrier to consuming it a LOT by not forcing people to either grind through a mobile game or watch a second hand recap video. Unless I'm misunderstanding? This is actually a really good thing.
it is nice they aren't just dumping it and making people go look at second sources for info, don't really see that with moblie games that common. Though i worry about it no longer working with later moblie phone hardware/software cause that's an issue

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
I'm going to miss it/them. Probably the closest I've come to whaling, over the years I have bought a handful of jewel boxes as a thanks for how many hours I put into the damn app. I hope they launch a new KH mobile title posthaste

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
UX's story is weirdly super important to KH (though I haven't caught up with it in a few years), so this is a bigger deal than you'd think for a mobile game shutting down. lol

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Yeah, it's pretty cool. This should be a standard for gacha games going offline.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
it is nice they aren't just dumping it and making people go look at second sources for info, don't really see that with moblie games that common. Though i worry about it no longer working with later moblie phone hardware/software cause that's an issue
true but by that point I see it incorporated into a console collection as a bunch of cutscenes, or a console remake. Both of which are common for KH.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
UX's story is weirdly super important to KH (though I haven't caught up with it in a few years), so this is a bigger deal than you'd think for a mobile game shutting down. lol
Hopefully they removed the hundreds of Disney movie retellings and leave the core story + enchanted dominion + wreck it ralph stories

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
fy2Y.gif

5 years of suffering for this whole travesty of a project to wrap up like this. "A message from Tetsuya Nomura: the story will pick up pace... next update!!!" loop finally broken. The clown really came back to bite.

Zerokingx

Oct 29, 2017
Wow that was left field but expected although hopefully the story goes crazy in the ending hyped for that

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I jumped ship after a month. Let's see if the offline version is worth the time

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I'm going to miss it. Unchained χ was a ton of fun, it went downhill for me around KH3 release but I still played it from time to time.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
The game's economy has been extremely predatory over the years (especially for a property directly tied to children like Disney), so I'm glad to see it being shut down.

That said, I'm also sad because I have played it a lot over the years. To just see it end like this with a wimper is a bummer. I really hope they don't end up making another KH Mobile Gacha to replace this, just stick to home console games from now on please.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance. I really like the story so I'm glad it will be available, but the game part of this? That's how I became so addicted to gachas. This shit burned me hard.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
At first I was happy since the game will be playable offline, but then I realized it's just you can watch the story. The game part is gone from the offline mode.
" Story Quests, events, Medal leveling and enhancement, and other playable parts of the game will no longer be available. "

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Why are they adding major story hooks to mobile game?

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
The constant management of medals started getting ridiculous alongside the power creep. I was in it for the story but I just can't fathom why so many put up with gacha games of this caliber.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
I bailed on the game after KH3 released. I imagine many other players did as well.

I was really enjoying KHUX as my main mobile game until they introduced the 7* medals. Having my medal collection become useless overnight with power creep killed any motivation to keep playing. I guess I'll download it once more to see where the story went.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I'm glad they're putting this into offline mode and stripping out the inane gameplay. I think I got 50-100 missions in and just got tired of how slow they were dribbling out the story beats. It was worse than 358/2. I'll redownload just to watch the story stuff but this is the best possible news for this app.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's nice it's at least being preserved as an offline app so that this chunk of Kingdom Hearts lore isnt lost to time.

Oct 25, 2017
Theater mode is a nice concession at least. Didn't expect Dark Road to be so short. Guessing it wasn't the big hit they wanted so here comes the rushed story!
Though the best thing they could do is remake the games as console titles without the gacha bullshit. Let people experience the story in a proper way because there's a lot of juicy lore to be found.