• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (PS4) (74)
Metacritic (XB1) (75)
Metacritic (Switch) (80)
OpenCritic (77)

Trusted Reviews (4.5/5):
Melody of Memory is a loving homage to the legacy of Kingdom Hearts, aiming to honour almost two decades of absurd excellence whilst also forging a new path forward. If any franchise is going to make a rhythm game an integral part of its overall plot, it's Kingdom Hearts, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

COGconnected (90/100):
Overall, Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory is a phenomenal experience. It has truly unique gameplay wrapped in a Triple A Kingdom Hearts presentation. The music featured is among the most memorable scores in video game history, and the amount of content will keep players getting much more than their money's worth. If you're at all curious about Melody of Memories, rest assured that it's a must buy.

Nintendo Enthusiast (9/10):
Though I still think it's a bit strange to put Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory on Nintendo Switch, given that there are currently no plans to bring others in the franchise over, there's almost no better home for it. The short bursts of gameplay mesh well with the pick-up-and-play nature of Switch. No matter whether you're a longtime fan of Kingdom Hearts or a newcomer looking to get in before the next main game, you'll find a lot to enjoy in Melody of Memory. It may not be the Kingdom Hearts game we wanted, but this is one love letter that definitely deserves to be read.

Hobby Consolas (86/100, review in Spanish):
Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory it's the new game in the Kingdom Hearts series, making a stop in it's classical APRG style, to focus in musical rythm games. It works, it's a solid game, entirely because the OST it's a masterpice built since the first Kingdom Hearts came to us in Playstation 2.

Impulsegamer (4.3/5):
Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory is a nostalgic trip down memory lane while also offering a well-crafted rhythm game that is absolutely addicting. While there is barely any new story in the game, it offers well-summarised recaps of past games without feeling intrusive. The game gives you a lot to do. There are many well-made tracks and levels, many game modes that will appeal to certain audiences, many collectibles that are fun to get, and much more. The game is pretty and the audio is superb. I do wish some more tracks from Kingdom Hearts III were in this game but other than that and some other minor problems, this game is wonderful. I will definitely be playing more of this as the months go by.

Nintendo World Report (8.5/10, video):
The co-op mode more than makes up for this, however, featuring levels custom made for local two-player action that is incredibly well implemented. If you like Kingdom Hearts, and you like the music of Yoko Shimomura, I would personally call Melody of Memory a must buy. Just don't expect to find a blowout story reveal buried in this title, and you should find yourself bopping along to the rhythm and having fun in no time.

IGN Italy (8.5/10, review in Italian):
A very good rhythm game, for who love the soundtrack of the KH saga.

Noisy Pixel (8.5/10, video):
Kingdom Hearts: Memory of Melody is an incredibly charming game that finally brings the stellar array of music from the series into the spotlight. Its various options and modes allow any Kingdom Hearts fan to enjoy, but it doesn't completely make up for some of the missing tracks. Still, the memories that these songs hold are represented brilliantly by a competent and addictive rhythm system that you'd be hard-pressed not to love.

Screen Rant (4/5):
Melody of Memory is a great rhythm game which is only bolstered by the fantastic music of Kingdom Hearts and Disney. The way the gameplay is tied to the diverse soundtrack is impeccable, and Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory is a nostalgic treat for fans.

Siliconera (8/10):
There's a sense that Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory is a game that wants to repay longtime fans for their commitment. The music and cutscenes draw from a deep well of nostalgia without relying on it. That said, fans looking for a game that advances the story might be disappointed. Within the context of the franchise, Melody of Memory isn't the next big moment for Sora, Kairi, or any other of the game's characters. Instead, it's a celebration of the moments that have already happened for those characters with a very strong focus on Sora.

Worth Playing (8/10):
Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory is a perfectly competent Kingdom Hearts rhythm game and not a lot else. Despite being canon to the series, its bare-bones plot is barely relevant, and the thin story is mostly a reason for more music. Thankfully, the core rhythm gameplay is fun if not particularly new or exciting. If you like Kingdom Hearts music and rhythm games, Melody of Memory will scratch the itch, but don't expect much more.

RPG Site (8/10):
Although Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory might not be the story-focused experience many expect from the series, it arguably does something much more special. Not only does it set up the next chapter nicely, but it celebrates everything that came before it with some fantastic rhythm gameplay and abundant content that makes it feel like a loving send-off to the past 18 years of the franchise.

Game Informer (8/10):
Melody of Memory provides a fun and energizing way to celebrate the franchise's fantastic music and greatest moments.

Attack of the Fanboy (4/5):
While definitely not for everyone, Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory is truly a trip down memory lane full of the best songs that the series has to offer. With more than 140 tracks and a relatively minuscule new story involving Kairi thrown into the mix, the game is a must play for long time fans of the series, especially if you love rhythm games.

Everyeye.it (7.5/10, review in Italian):
To the delight of those who do not love rhythm games, Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory does not pretend to be a mandatory stop, but a delightful detour that, between one note and another, will help fans of the Tetsuya Nomura series to reconstruct eighteen years of often confused and fragmented memories.

PlayStation Universe (7.5/10):
While it is unclear who Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory is truly made for, the hardcore player or the newcomer, the game is undeniably charming. Playing through some of my favourite songs of any video game franchise won't get old any time soon. Meanwhile trying to three-star each level and collect everything to fill up the museum gives players even more reason to replay each song. While Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory missteps in its delivery, the game's presentation and quality shine enough to overlook some of its shortcomings. I cant wait to see what's next.

Hardcore Gamer (3.5/5):
The wait for the next Kingdom Hearts game is sure to be agonizing and Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory only does so much.

GamingTrend (70/100):
While it's very short on story, Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory is a neat celebration of the Dark Seeker Saga before moving on. With a huge selection of fantastic tunes and a fun yet simplistic control scheme, this game will keep fans busy until Kingdom Hearts IV.

Destructoid (7/10):
Kingdom Hearts is a good rhythm game that meanders way too often with its presentation. If you're a diehard fan who sings "Simple and Clean" to themselves in the shower, you'll probably love a trip down memory lane, while humming all of the battle sequences that a lot of casual players might skip over. Just know that it might take some work to get to your favorite parts.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad, demo was pretty fun. Excited to play it through this weekend since it looks like my PS5 is going to be late.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
European PS5 buyer. I'll have a week to play this, so I'm looking forward to it. Should be my final PS4 game I reckon.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
To tell you the truth, I was expecting it to be in the 70s. Glad its being received well.

Will definitely buy it later in a promotion. ( Not complaining about the 60 price tag, it's just that here in Brazil I can't justify using that kind of money.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am disappointed it's the original songs and not the re-orchestrated versions from 1.5 and 2.5.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I am disappointed it's the original songs and not the re-orchestrated versions from 1.5 and 2.5.
While I do prefer most of the remastered versions of the songs, there are at least a few in the original games that are vastly superior, like An Adventure in Atlantica (which is legitimately off-key in the 1.5 version, no idea what happened there).

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
LOL how is this my first time hearing about it?

www.resetera.com

Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory |OT| A musical for everyone to have a lot of Finny Fun! OT

| Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory | PS4 - XboxOne - Switch | November 13th 2020 | Square Enix - Indieszero | Soundtrack for this OT Developer: Square Enix | Indieszero Platforms: Playstation 4, XBOX One, Nintendo Switch Release Date: November 11th (Japan) | November 13th (Global) Price...

Here's the dedicated OT about the game if you're curious about giving it a try.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
KHInsider: REVIEW: Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory is a harmonious additon to the franchise

I know it doesn't play a part in the metacritic score but getting direct input from the KH community is important, right?
I don't know, these are the superfans who like anything KH.

They're good for finding the deep cuts and analysing things you don't notice, but you should always take what they say with a grain of salt, they're professional Kingdom Hearts likers.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, a lot Kingdom Hearts fans will tolerate anything as long as it's canonical with new story content.

Your best option is to play the demo and decide from there whether the game is for you.

Baymax, I wrote the review but thanks for telling me to play something I already played and that our community's input is not worth it.

And fans don't really tolerate anything if it pisses them off enough...there are tons of people who are not picking this game up or are holding off until it goes on sale.

They're good for finding the deep cuts and analysing things you don't notice, but you should always take what they say with a grain of salt, they're professional Kingdom Hearts likers.

:\ I think I gave a very fair review of the game and pointed out the major flaws of this release. But thanks for the critique, I guess.

Last edited:

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017

I'm sorry, but dismissing their opinion entirely just because of the site they represent is rude AF. Did you even read the review?

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Baymax, I wrote the review but thanks for telling me to play something I already played and that our community's input is not worth it.

Spockanort, I didn't realise this was your ResetEra account. From the way you worded your question, I assumed you were somebody who was curious as to whether you wanted to give the game a shot based on a dedicated Kingdom Hearts fansite review. I gave my two cents but ultimately recommended the demo to make a final decision.

And by the way, the review that you wrote was informative as usual. It's a great review. But please, don't put words in my mouth and say that I don't value input from the Kingdom Hearts community because that's far from the truth.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Spockanort, I didn't realise this was your ResetEra account. From the way you worded your question, I assumed you were somebody who was curious as to whether you wanted to give the game a shot based on a dedicated Kingdom Hearts fansite review. I gave my two cents but ultimately recommended the demo to make a final decision.

And by the way, the review that you wrote was informative as usual. It's a great review. But please, don't put words in my mouth and say that I don't value input from the Kingdom Hearts community because that's far from the truth.

Yeah, it was me in disguise all along lol.

Well I said "getting input from the community is important, right" and you said "Not really" which I could only read as no, it is not important to hear from the KH community.

Everybody should give the game a fair shake with the demo to make the final decision, yes. That is always important, but reviews from people who don't play KH games at all, reviewers from reputable sites, and reviews from the actual community engaging with the series are all important aspects of making a decision over consuming media.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I just couldn't read your comment as anything but saying to ignore the community considering how it was prefaced. Thank you for clearing that up.