• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Of course a pub has to care about sell through.
You think if a games ships to many copies and there unsold the retailer eat all of that lost \ cost ?
Not saying that going to happen with KH3 but it more complex than that .

I think each company has different rules. Usually publisher will ship to distributor who is the middle man between publisher and each retail shop ( unless they are the big one like GameStop ). So there can be different arrangement amongs then. Either buy it all and the retail eat the cost of unsold copy or they can sell it back with certain condition. That is also how the retail can do very cheap discount later if the game don't sell.

The publisher is not necessarily needed to care about sell through because usually they will already earn from the shipment. But if their game get massively overship and hard to sell then it could affect their next game. Either the same series or the same company. So for sure they will have to keep an eye on their game performance.

All of this problem can go away with digits only :)

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
This is even more impressive wehen you consider this game is pretty much only selling on PS4.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Its actually on the decline ,not good at all, vanilla kh1+2 outsold vanilla god of war 1+2 on the ps2

God of war outsold kh3 is in less than three days.

Firstly, source your figures.

3.1mil sold first 3 days
https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/3/17314880/god-of-war-ps4-sales-record
Tops 5 mil in one month
https://sea.ign.com/m/god-of-war-1/135920/news/god-of-war-sales-top-5-million-in-the-first-month

Secondly your historical comparative is bollocks when it has been repeatedly mentioned in the thread this is a series high figure. Why are you even comparing it to GOW for? one is multiplat and the other is exclusive, etc.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also did KH just become Squares second biggest franchise?
It always ways wasn't it?
Franchise wise yes. Per releases wise. It has a good chance to outsell FFXV.

Kingdom Hearts was always top 3 in SE along DQ and FF. Franchise wise it'll be a bit difficult to reach the 76 million of DQ and 142 million of FF with its now 30 million since those two also sell millions per game many times but who knows. Otherwise, in the west, Kingdom Hearts is only behind FF in sales and popularity. In Japan, it's behind FF and DQ. That's basically it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"triangle to win", "KH2 is the easiest in the franchise", "the story doesn't end", "the ending is a cliffhanger".
Everything is almost literally the same in these complaints. "Attractions are too OP" = "the triangle actions are too OP".

In fairness, reception to KH2 changed a lot with Final Mix, which fixed a ton of the gameplay complaints some folks had.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Definitely happy for them. With Disney's backing this time around, I figured it was set for success. FFXV is almost at 9 million. It's the second best selling FF under VII now. So with XV and now KH3, they have two multi-million sellers this generation from their two main franchises.

The next big game is Avengers. I'm curious if it'll sell just as much because of Marvel's involvement.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018

Not really. FFXV is almost at 9 million now and is the second best selling FF now under VII, it passed VIII & X. FF has a bigger worldwide appeal than KH so I can't see KH3 nearing that 10 million. But in the end, it still went over 5 million so it doesn't really matter.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely happy for them. With Disney's backing this time around, I figured it was set for success. FFXV is almost at 9 million. It's the second best selling FF under VII now. So with XV and now KH3, they have two multi-million sellers this generation from their two main franchises.

The next big game is Avengers. I'm curious if it'll sell just as much because of Marvel's involvement.

Depending on how it's received it could be SE's biggest game yet. People are starving for a big quality Avengers experience.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
This is even more impressive wehen you consider this game is pretty much only selling on PS4.

Sure.

Also did KH just become Squares second biggest franchise?

3rd after Tomb Raider

In the RE v KH3 i said 6-7 million lifetime is possibile, 10 million? Probably, after MHW breakout success selling 11.9 million copies, everything is possibile at this point.

So with XV and now KH3, they have two multi-million sellers this generation from their two main franchises.

They have 3 multimillion major games.
Rise of the Tomb Raider, FF XV and KH3.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
:')

tumblr_pjtsi3Z0wJ1wrzpy3o1_r1_400.gif

Never stop, KH. Last forever.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, now imagine how much KH IV will sell with Star Wars and Marvel worlds.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats SE. First week shipments similar to FFXV's is crazy. Let's see if better WoM make it surpass it.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In the RE v KH3 i said 6-7 million lifetime is possibile, 10 million? Probably, after MHW breakout success selling 11.9 million copies, everything is possibile at this point.

10 million on base SKU only is a stretch. I mean after re-release and maybe special edition ( btw is FFXV number include PC release ).

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
cU4HL4l.gif

This game is everything I could've expected and asked for. I'm so glad it's selling so well! :)

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Nice!
I'm going to get it eventually .. I just have a rather large task ahead of me first.
I'm quite far into KH1 now for the first time and I'm finding my self liking it very much.
The camera is a bit janky but I'm actually fine with it as the "lock-on" negates quite a bit of the jankyness when fighting.
And I find I am enjoying the story. I was a bit afraid it would be too far out.

Oct 25, 2017
Great news, I'll personally wait for Critical Mode and DLC, but from what I've seen the game is fantastic, can't wait to play it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Deserved.

Now bring in the rebalance and missing content with Final Mix.

That I will gladly pay for.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing. It's worth it even if just for those incredible last 2-3 hours.

The perfect loveletter for the fans.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing sales! Threads like these always have people pedling bullcrap

FFXV did not have tons of unsold copies from day 1 shipment apart from maybe in japan. Worldwide it went from 5 mill to 6.5 mill to 8 mill in shipments. So puh lease

KH3 should break 8-9 mill for sure

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
45 dollar sold price to retailers

45*5m= 225m

About five years development: -50-60 million?

50% revenue/profits to disney: -117,5m?

-Royalties on voice actors, skrillex and Utada: -10m?
-Unreal engine royalties: -5% profits? 10m?
-Marketing and promotion costs: -20 at 30m?

So its 225m-117,5-60m-20m-30m= Wait that it's actually total lose of -2,5 million

It never stated like in ffxv that it sell enough for the development cost.
Also FFXIV and Gacha ffbe earns way more in less times.

Last edited:

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Great news, as people have said it's such a great game and it's a great conclusion for people who've been with the series for years.

Fingers crossed the great sales mean we don't have to wait forever for KH4

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

45*5m= 225m

50% profits to disney: -117,5m?

So its 225m-117,5-60m-20m-30m= Wait that it's actually total lose of -2,5 million

50% budget by disney so SE lost 1,25m LoL

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3 is the game I didn't know I needed.

There are so many moments of charm and warmth I can't help but get a little emotional while playing sometimes. I'm surprised how much it exceeded my high expectations when I was almost sure it would disappoint me. For me, the game is almost perfect, which is something I never think. I still can't believe we're playing KH3.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

45*5m= 225m

50% revenue/profits to disney: -117,5m?

Also FFXIV and Gacha ffbe earns way more in less times.

That's some ultra random calculations based on nothing, especially the "50% for Disney just because" (even if it makes Square loses money, yeah that seems wise Square probably would sign for that)

Great success anyway, should leg it to a couple millions more.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bigger number than FFXV isn't it?

What are the sales of KH games? I have no idea. I assume the best selling until now was KH2, yes?

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
If I only played the first one (remastered) and wasn't all that crazy about it, is it still worth trying out 3 anyway? I'm kinda getting won over by some of these gifs.