• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guess the Review Score

• 95+

Votes: 42 3.3%
  • 90-94

Votes: 192 15.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 592 46.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 366 28.9%
  • < 80

Votes: 73 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
Dang, I really enjoyed that Kotaku review a lot more than most folks here it seems...
It's really a great review, and as someone who is only interested in the game because of the nice-looking Disney worlds, it (along with Tim's "unreviewable" video) prepared me for all the things the game will annoy me with - and some I will enjoy.

Also, this part is pure gold:
It is a museum exhibiting its own architecture. Its decadent spectacle is the closest games have come yet to giving me the catharsis of walking into a Louis Vuitton store and neither buying anything nor being asked to leave.
I challenge Metacritic to extract a number from that last paragraph.

Edit: and now with Kirk Hamilton leaving Kotaku, I can only hope we get more reviews by Tim :D

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim doesn't do reviews any more does he? Dude's entitled to his opinion, but I don't agree with him most of the time.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
So I bought the collection on PSN and it's downloaiding now. Should be done by the end of the Royal Rumble.

I beat the first Kingdom Hearts game 3 times within its release year.

The second Kingdom Hearts game once at its release.

And I played none of the handheld ones.

What's the chronological of the games? I decided to play all of the games in order before playing and beating 3.

I suggest playing them in release order, but it's Union X>Birth By Sleep>KH1>358/2 Days>Chain of Memories>KH2>Re:Coded>Dream Drop Distance>KH2.8 Final Chapter Prologue.

Union X, 358/2 Days and Re:Coded are cutscenes you can just watch. I would say everything except maybe Re:Coded will be important. Birth By Sleep is super fun so at the very least you should play that. DDD is really good too, but not as good as the numbered entries or BBS.

I'm sure you won't absolutely need to play and watch everything before you play KH3, but what I will say is the more you know about the lore and story going in the less confused you will be and the more I'm sure you will enjoy the game fully. Even if you don't play KH3 for a month.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
If the story is shit, (and all the Xehanort clones/black cloaks/Sora clones has got dull and repetitive) then 7/10 is fair. The Disney movies are often wonderful tales and no matter how excellent the game play and novelty of the exploration is, it's wasting the unique concept of the Disney crossover if the main narrative isn't worthy. The original Kingdom Hearts and Birth by Sleep to a lesser extent, felt to me like they captured the Disney feel the best because that stuff wasn't as overshadowing.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Jim Sterling 7/10

Down to 87

lmao never change Jim

Jim doesn't do reviews any more does he? Dude's entitled to his opinion, but I don't agree with him most of the time.

He stopped doing reviews by the end of 2017. The Zelda/Nintendo fanbase decable after the BoTW review and it's own debacle with the Hellblade review made him reconsider stop doing traditional reviews and he switched to the "Jimpressions" style

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suggest playing them in release order, but it's Union X>Birth By Sleep>KH1>358/2 Days>Chain of Memories>KH2>Re:Coded>Dream Drop Distance>KH2.8 Final Chapter Prologue.

Union X, 358/2 Days and Re:Coded are cutscenes you can just watch. I would say everything except maybe Re:Coded will be important. Birth By Sleep is super fun so at the very least you should play that. DDD is really good too, but not as good as the numbered entries or BBS.

I'm sure you won't absolutely need to play and watch everything before you play KH3, but what I will say is the more you know about the lore and story going in the less confused you will be and the more I'm sure you will enjoy the game fully. Even if you don't play KH3 for a month.

Thanks for this reply.

I intend on playing and watching EVERYTHING before playing Kingdom Hearts 3. I'm hoping these games keeps me busy for a large chunk of the upcoming year.

I decided to start with KH1 and take it from there. There's a hidden cut scene if I get all the Dalmatians right? I can't remember if that was a thing for KH or Final Fantasy IX with the zodiac coins.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I can see where folks could be turned off by that writing style but the super long form and occasionally meandering style he uses is just super entertaining to read for me. Having him go on a tangent about what it was like to play Kingdom Hearts 1 with his roommates in Tokyo is just a nice deviation from the normal review format.

Also I think this set of paragraphs told me more about the game than several other reviews:
I'm really bad at understanding that sort of thing.
Is the gist of it that it's basically Kingdom Hearts cranked up to 11, if you like the series you'll like KH3 but it's not going to win you over if you have been a skeptic?

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks for this reply.

I intend on playing and watching EVERYTHING before playing Kingdom Hearts 3. I'm hoping these games keeps me busy for a large chunk of the upcoming year.

I decided to start with KH1 and take it from there. There's a hidden cut scene if I get all the Dalmatians right? I can't remember if that was a thing for KH or Final Fantasy IX.
The hidden cutscene is not worth it anymore since it's just a teaser for KH2, you'll see that cutscene while playing KH2.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I decided to start with KH1 and take it from there. There's a hidden cut scene if I get all the Dalmatians right? I can't remember if that was a thing for KH or Final Fantasy IX.
If you play on the hardest difficulty, you unlock the secret ending by default.

If you're playing on normal, you'll need to get all the dalmatians, win all the tournaments and seal all the keyholes (including worlds where this is an optional task, like the 100 Acre Wood and Olympus Coliseum). There might be something else, but that basically gets you there.

And yeah like mentioned above, if you're playing it in 2019 don't worry too much about it. The secret endings are mostly just teasers for the next games, at least early on. From BBS onward they're more significant in explaining late plot developments.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this reply.

I decided to start with KH1 and take it from there. There's a hidden cut scene if I get all the Dalmatians right? I can't remember if that was a thing for KH or Final Fantasy IX with the zodiac coins.
Or you could just play the game through and watch the secret video on YouTube.

I only suggest that because I can imagine you'll get burned out on KH after all the games.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really bad at understanding that sort of thing.
Is the gist of it that it's basically Kingdom Hearts cranked up to 11, if you like the series you'll like KH3 but it's not going to win you over if you have been a skeptic?

Yeah the gist of it (and this is echoed a good bit throughout the review) is that it seems KH3 just goes all in on both the insanity and beauty of the series. It apparently throws production values and crazy presentation at the viewer in a way that can be disorienting if you're not familiar or trying to be more critical of it, but seemingly for those fans who want more Kingdom Hearts, this is that to a great degree.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Question, since the game is out in AUS and NZ regions, isnt it theoretically possible to create an Xbox live out for those regions and play the game now?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Question, since the game is out in AUS and NZ regions, isnt it theoretically possible to create an Xbox live out for those regions and play the game now?

Theoretically, you could, but you're only a few hours away from the US go-live. Why go through all the trouble and potentially risk getting your credit card flagged for fraud just to save a couple of hours?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Thanks for this reply.

It's a teaser for KH2. Luckily you've played the first two, because 258/2 Days is pretty confusing otherwise. I convinced a friend of mine who hadn't played many games in her life to give the series a shot, and she was completely lost with 258/2 and I had to promise her that it would eventually make sense.

I think one of the sad things is how Xion is so forgotten about, especially if you only watch the cutscenes. I haven't played Union X or Re:Coded so I don't know if there is a similar situation where there is a compelling or unique character that feels even more ancillary if you only view the cutscenes.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Theoretically, you could, but you're only a few hours away from the US go-live. Why go through all the trouble and potentially risk getting your credit card flagged for fraud just to save a couple of hours?
its not for me. asking for a friend as they seem impatient and determined to do this. Just wondering whats the logistics of possiblity and how to do it so i can just relay info

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
If the story is shit, (and all the Xehanort clones/black cloaks/Sora clones has got dull and repetitive) then 7/10 is fair. The Disney movies are often wonderful tales and no matter how excellent the game play and novelty of the exploration is, it's wasting the unique concept of the Disney crossover if the main narrative isn't worthy. The original Kingdom Hearts and Birth by Sleep to a lesser extent, felt to me like they captured the Disney feel the best because that stuff wasn't as overshadowing.
Some impressions/reviewers say all the story stuff is right at the end and mostly focuses on the Disney worlds and characters, (while advancing the main plot slowly)depending on who you ask this is either good or bad

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Screen Rant - 80/100

"Newcomers will find it incredibly bizarre, and sometimes certain worlds or gameplay methods are more successful than others, but overall it's what fans will have been hoping for. A sprawling, varied game that is all the better for its wild, confusing moments."

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those reviews that don't have grade, like the GameXplain one. How they are counted in metacritics?

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017

GameXplain: Mindblowing.

Gj GameXplain, you might have just sold me on this game.

I mean, I was always going to get it probably, I immensely enjoyed the PS2 games, but I've been out of this series for so long I was expecting to wait for a sale. Now I'm highly tempted to pick it up for this weekend.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I can see where folks could be turned off by that writing style but the super long form and occasionally meandering style he uses is just super entertaining to read for me. Having him go on a tangent about what it was like to play Kingdom Hearts 1 with his roommates in Tokyo is just a nice deviation from the normal review format.

I have to admit, I also found the Rogers review hilariously entertaining. I have no idea what this says about me as a person, or my taste as a gamer now.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
We're (proudly) not on Metacritic.

So, that review makes a large sticking point of not being able to choose the order you use stacked situation commands... but you uh, actually can. Pressing L2 cycles which one is selected (on default control settings, anyways). Just saying, for something the reviewer makes a big point of, I figure it would be good to point out lol

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
So, that review makes a large sticking point of not being able to choose the order you use stacked situation commands... but you uh, actually can. Pressing L2 cycles which one is selected (on default control settings, anyways). Just saying, for something the reviewer makes a big point of, I figure it would be good to point out lol

Thanks; he already addressed this in a pinned comment

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if having so few reviews will impact the marketing and awareness for this game in anyway, and if it'll have a positive or negative impact on sales, if at all.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed Metro Gamecentral posted their review:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/29/kingdom-hearts-iii-review-mickey-mouse-epic-8408958/

sum-up:

In Short: A confused and confusing mess of terrible storytelling, simple action, and endless fan service that will delight existing players but baffle new ones.

Pros: Superb graphics and presentation, with exacting attention to detail when it comes to the various Disney properties. Some fun mini-games and the summons are visually spectacular.

Cons: Incoherent storytelling that's made worse by dull dialogue and endless cut scenes. Empty game worlds, poor level design, and a lack of challenge. Gummi ship is awful, as usual.

Score: 6/10