• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guess the Review Score

• 95+

Votes: 42 3.3%
  • 90-94

Votes: 192 15.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 592 46.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 366 28.9%
  • < 80

Votes: 73 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It gives out so many free medals regulary you can get atleast a few cool customes and some rral good medals that last you forever.

I got like 100 bucks worth of free medals when i restarted the game after new years i was like damn thats the nicest free stuff i ever got from a pay to win game.

Also daily medals etc.

Oct 27, 2017
You need to play much more than that. KH3 pulls much of its story from every single interquel over its actual mainline games.

At this point, Chain of Memories, 358 Days, Birth by Sleep, ReCoded, Dream Drop Distance, Back Cover and A Fragmentary Passage all drive KH3's plot too
Honestly if I have to do that then I just won't play any of it

Really too much to ask for a new comer imo.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I am not questioning their significance as stories. They are de-facto advertised as spin-offs when they aren't released with a numbering on handheld systems, as it is very for a lot of people to mistake them to be spin-offs. This is the point of my entire argument, and you can see it's true as people keep confusing them as spin-offs. Why do you think you have to keep telling people that they aren't spin-offs? Do you think that MAYBE, the way SE released and titled them confused a lot of people, and that it isn't necessarily their fault?

This is exactly what I was arguing for, so we don't disagree at all.
No lol, that still doesn't make a game a spin off. Releasing on another platform doesn't make it a spin off nor does its name. I'm assuming gamers aren't stupider than the general movie populace and can follow a series without numbering (harry potter/avengers/etc)

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
There's no need to be so dramatic. "Consumers making up for it" and "consumers cathiing up on this logistical mess" is LITERALLY a 30 minute youtube video away nowadays (and has been for years). It's 2019, checking a recap video from Youtube isn't rocket science or dark magic only available to the few most ardent would-be fans. The overall narrative isn't all that complex. Especially people who have some experience with the franchise shouldn't be completely lost watching recaps. If someone is interested and wants to refresh their memory & maybe fill in some gaps with the spin-offs, they can just spend one evening snack munching period watching one or two videos from youtube and they'll be caught up on the essentials. People who don't mind playing old remasters can just buy one product and have everything.
I did not intend to be dramatic. English is not my native language so my apologies if I come off unnecessarily verbose or something :)

So the first thing I'll say is that I did exactly this. I did watch a 36-minute video explaining the story thus far, and though I did come to understand it (mostly after reading up on it elsewhere) I can tell you that it is confusing. I see a lot of hardcore KH fans trying to tell more casual fans that the story isn't confusing, but I think you lack a certain perspective as someone who has invested a lot of time into the story and into each of the released games. If you look at the Youtube comments of these videos you'll see a lot of people that are extremely confused, and you can find them in this very thread as well. I don't think it's fair for you to invalidate these peoples perceptions, as you are someone with a completely different perspective on this with how much time you have invested into the franchise. Or so I'm assuming, anyway. I think it's worth for people like yourself to reflect a little - you have a lot of time invested in this franchise. People who don't seem to be confused by the story. There might be a pattern here.

But all of this is besides the point. I don't really care if the story is confusing or not. There are significant portions of it in games that a lot of people didn't play, and I would assume it's due to them assuming they aren't important. I think this is on SE. I think a simple fix for this is SE including something KH3 that catches players up. Expecting them to look up things on their own, as easy as it sounds, is very unintuitive for casual fans that just want to drop back in and re-live some nostalgia from playing KH1 and 2 as kids.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
From a fans perspective, that's kind of wrong. From the perspective of someone not invested in the story looking for payoff, this is correct
Oh yea, you are 100% right. It could definitely be a satisfying conclusion for fans of the series (me included) but for the norm, I doubt there is anything of substance to appreciate.

Oct 26, 2017
Peace Walker is important to the entire series' story, not just MGSV. Hell, it's more important to the overarching storyline than V.

They've done what they can. They rereleased all the games MULTIPLE times, put them out in an easy, cheap package on the PS4, and added some catch-up movies on the KH3 disc. You have the options, it's your prerogative to take them.

To the overarching storyline? Maybe. But there are no games in the series where you need to play Peace Walker to understand the plot as Peace Walker came out after MGS1-4 and MGS5 has no story.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Except in KH's case you'd be lost if you watched the previous two. They're actually the least needed to understand 3 at this point. Spinoffs are more important now.
if that's the case that's a problem, I only purchased the remasters so I can play 1 and 2 again. Where the meat of the story should have been. Adding substance to the handheld games was a mistake imo.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
KH2 prologue was fun af
No matter what they say
YmL8VwW.jpg

Indeed Roxas is awesome. And my fav kh character its why i got this necklace recently.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
But all of this is besides the point. I don't really care if the story is confusing or not. There are significant portions of it in games that a lot of people didn't play, and I would assume it's due to them assuming they aren't important. I think this is on SE. I think a simple fix for this is SE including something KH3 that catches players up. Expecting them to look up things on their own, as easy as it sounds, is very unintuitive for casual fans that just want to drop back in and re-live some nostalgia from playing KH1 and 2 as kids.

Yes that is essential like you said, and it is something they are doing right on day one with a plot recap DLC video that will be right on the title screen.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I like how people act like people have unlimited time to play these games over the past two years when we got hit with an onslaught of great games for the last two years

The KH collections have been available since last generation, though. They first came out on PS3.

if that's the case that's a problem, I only purchased the remasters so I can play 1 and 2 again. Where the meat of the story should have been. Adding substance to the handheld games was a mistake imo.

Then answer this: what's the point of the handheld games at all? If they can't have important story elements, why make them? Nobody buys these games just for the combat. This "ONLY PUT STUFF IN THE CONSOLE GAMES BECAUSE THOSE ARE THE ONLY ONES I WANT TO TOUCH" mentality is unbelievably selfish.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
the end of the last numbered entry was literally a teaser for Birth by Sleep
The end of that game was a cryptic cutscene with no mention of a title or a platform. There's a lot of people who have no idea what that was.
fixed
Thats how dumb you sound
No need to be so condescending. I've already adressed this argument before but likening 2 hour movies that require no user involvement (gameplay) to entire games is a false equivelance. The Avengers movies are also relatively easy to follow even without watching the other movies, at least compared to a game with as convoluted dialogue and the time traveling, multiple versions of the same character plot of KH. Your comparison is irrelevant.
No lol, that still doesn't make a game a spin off. Releasing on another platform doesn't make it a spin off nor does its name. I'm assuming gamers aren't stupider than the general movie populace and can follow a series without numbering (harry potter/avengers/etc)
Someone else already made the comparison, but it's equivelant to the next Marvel movie to be released exclusively on Hulu. The platform changes the perception of the audience. But I don't even have to prove it to you, you can just look at the number of people who believe that those games are spin-off titles. You're a fan of KH who is invested in the series so it might seem obvious to you, but if you do some simple empirical observation and look around I think you'll find that the average gamer was in fact misled by this. If you're so tired of telling people that they aren't spin-offs, maybe it's time to reflect and ask why you have to do that, and whose fault it is. I believe it's on Square Enix, not people who "aren't true KH" fans or whatever.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The end of that game was a cryptic cutscene with no mention of a title or a platform. There's a lot of people who have no idea what that was.

That's exactly the same thing they did at the end of KH1 with ASAS and Deep Dive. Neither of them said KH2 and neither of them mentioned the PS2. We all knew what the implication was, though.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I like how people act like people have unlimited time to play these games over the past two years when we got hit with an onslaught of great games for the last two years

these posts always make me laugh, shifting blame on new players is definitely the way to get new people to support your favorite game.

Recaps is not the same as playing mainlinnot everyone owns a PS4,. Guess that's their fault too / no excuse etc etc.

That and playing games that looked like better looking PS2 games wasn't super compelling to me. I tried recently to replay Rogue Galaxy, and Dark Cloud 2 and couldn't get very far on my PS4.

Just too many great games have taken up my time over the past years. RPG's included. Like I live DISNEY, and love Final Fantasy. It sucks we won't see many more in this game like Squal. But I want to play KH3 the artstyle and combat look amazing on top of some of my favorite disney films like Tangled look awesome rendered in unreal 4.

Like I really want to play KH3 but I really don't want to play a collection of PS2 looking games to get the gist of what's happening.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
They've done what they can. They rereleased all the games MULTIPLE times, put them out in an easy, cheap package on the PS4, and added some catch-up movies on the KH3 disc. You have the options, it's your prerogative to take them.
I don't think it's fair to expect players to suddenly catch up on 3 - 4 games or features (however many significant ones were on the remaster). If there's some material in KH3 that can clarify things for returning players then I think that's great, but ultimately what I was arguing for is that this was all a mess made by Square Enix themselves. A lot of hardcore KH fans seem to pretty upset with people who are out of the loop when I think they should be upset at SE for making the mess, or maybe just acknowledge that this series isn't super easy to follow if you haven't been completely dedicated to it.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
and then Square-Enix announced a game called Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep that featured the characters from the teaser, both in its marketing and prominently on the cover?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Then answer this: what's the point of the handheld games at all? If they can't have important story elements, why make them? Nobody buys these games just for the combat.

For one, a lot of people do love the combat.

For two, stories don't have to have crazy interconnected messes spanning multiple games to be good. You can tell a self contained story that is satisfying on a handheld. You can do it on a console! You can do it anywhere if you're a good writer.

And no ones saying KH3 shouldn't even reference those games. There's a middle ground between zero reference basically reboot and people absolutely needing to play everything. A good writer can balance that in a satisfying way.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Omg people, you don't NEED to play every game in the series. Some things may be confusing but you'll be able to figure it out. Even a total newcomer could get by.

The mainline games are generally really fun though.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's fair to expect players to suddenly catch up on 3 - 4 games or features (however many significant ones were on the remaster).

I guess it comes down to how you define "suddenly"

The remasters have been available in some form or fashion for five years now. That's not really sudden.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Birth By Sleep isn't all that huge of a time sink if you just want to be caught up to the story. Play on Standard and each character's story won't take you more than 7-8 hours. It's 2-3 weekends of semi-dedicated playing. Hardly any kind of totally impossible task for the average person, even less so if you have any time to play on weekdays.

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019

Like I really want to play KH3 but I really don't want to play a collection of PS2 looking games to get the gist of what's happening.
If you don't want to play them, read plot summaries instead. Or just play KH3 and enjoy the gameplay if you don't care that much about the story, it will be fun regardless. You have a lot of options.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
Yes that is essential like you said, and it is something they are doing right on day one with a plot recap DLC video that will be right on the title screen.
That sounds great :)
That's exactly the same thing they did at the end of KH1 with ASAS and Deep Dive. Neither of them said KH2 and neither of them mentioned the PS2. We all knew what the implication was, though.
Who is "we all"? I think you'll find that people expected a sequel. Then, a game called "Kingdom Hearts 2" came out, and people who played and liked Kingdom Heats 1 went out and bought it. That doesn't mean that people who bought and liked KH2 saw that cutscene and thought, "Wow, a PSP game that isn't numbered!". A lot of people probably never even saw that game anywhere, because they would've been looking for PS2 or PS3 games.
and then Square-Enix announced a game called Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep that featured the characters from the teaser, both in its marketing and prominently on the cover?
See my response above.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
People always arguing over stupid things like who is best character are so silly. Everyone knows by default that Namine is the best character in KH.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it comes down to how you define "suddenly"

The remasters have been available in some form or fashion for five years now. That's not really sudden.
That's a fair point. I guess what I had in mind more than anything is that it's a lot of "homework" to do for people who really just want to play a sequel to the games they played as a kid. They probably aren't interested in remasters of games they already played (or if they are, they might only play those) or playing remasters of handheld games.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Namine is the only character who feels like she has her shit figured out the quickest

like she is remarkably capable for a kh character

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Who is "we all"? I think you'll find that people expected a sequel. Then, a game called "Kingdom Hearts 2" came out, and people who played and liked Kingdom Heats 1 went out and bought it. That doesn't mean that people who bought and liked KH2 saw that cutscene and thought, "Wow, a PSP game that isn't numbered!". A lot of people probably never even saw that game anywhere, because they would've been looking for PS2 or PS3 games.

The KH2 secret movies literally ended with "IT ALL BEGAN WITH: BIRTH BY SLEEP". Then they announced a game with that title with the characters from those movies.

Like, you're presuming a fair amount of ignorance on the part of people here. If a player cared about Kingdom Hearts at all, they would've heard that name and seen those characters and went "hey, they're making a game out of the secret movie from KH2". It's not like the game came out of nowhere - the announcement was a big deal.

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's fair to expect players to suddenly catch up on 3 - 4 games or features (however many significant ones were on the remaster). If there's some material in KH3 that can clarify things for returning players then I think that's great, but ultimately what I was arguing for is that this was all a mess made by Square Enix themselves. A lot of hardcore KH fans seem to pretty upset with people who are out of the loop when I think they should be upset at SE for making the mess, or maybe just acknowledge that this series isn't super easy to follow if you haven't been completely dedicated to it.
How is any of this sudden? KH3 was announced in 2013, and the remasters have been available for a good while now. None of this is sudden, if you didn't play them in all those years it's okay but don't say you're "suddenly" being expected to play all of the games in a series that has been going on for decades in order to understand the last game for the current saga. Sigh.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
They would've had to wait almost an entire decade to put anything in the series out, because last generation was a literal nightmare for Japanese developers. This idea that the entire series should just be frozen in time for ten to thirteen years so that people who are too stubborn to play games in a series they supposedly like is maddening to me.

Again. Dream Drop Distance is not that important. I don't know how many fucking times I have to reiterate this point. The only things you need to know from that game are that Xehanort is alive again and Sora failed the Mark of Mastery exam while Riku passed it. That's literally it.

Birth by Sleep is important, yes, but if you literally can't be arsed to play a SINGLE GAME without a mainline "numbered" title, even in a long, long dead period between mainline releases, when it was ported and released at a discount price on multiple more accessible consoles, you probably don't care that much about the series as a whole.
Im quoting this because there are some important points here. Bbs is essential... ddd is not