• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guess the Review Score

• 95+

Votes: 42 3.3%
  • 90-94

Votes: 192 15.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 592 46.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 366 28.9%
  • < 80

Votes: 73 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
It's actually great example of this scenario done right. It's been 8 years since the last tale of Kratos's end. SO they started off fresh as to not go the direction kingdom hearts did. It still was a continuation, but you didn't need to play all the previous PSP games and the likes to understand the story.

Kingdom hearts 3 suffers from there not being anything but prequel games that were on a mish mash of different devices only recently in the past couple years now they put them in a collection.

I don't want to play all of those just so I can get some context. And having a 20 minute recap video doesn't super help either interms of the impact of characters either dying or having some kind of arc.

They should have just started off with it being much later from kingdom hearts 2, and had a new starting point with some throw back references for the fans.

Which is why review wise it seems to be a main talking point about how convoluted the story seems to be to follow.
So instead of making the game that the people who are invested in the series want, they should have dropped all the plot points they had going and rest to appeal to people who aren't invested?

That's just silly. God of War didn't do 1, 2 then reset the continuity. It finished the story arc that it started in 1, and then went on to reboot after they had delivered what they had been building up to.

Are you seriously saying they should have dropped the plot at the last game?

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I think Tim Rogers was kinda right in that 'Kingdom Hearts 3' is a very difficult game to review because, contextually, there are 3 different 'forms' Kingdom Hearts 3 can take depending on what you want from it and your experience of the series:

Kingdom Hearts 3: The standalone product
Kingdom Hearts 3: The last game in a franchise people have already played
Kingdom Hearts 3: The game you'll play after spending $60 and 150+ hours of your life playing other games

People in each of those three contexts are going to have a fundamentally different experience with KH3, and as such I doubt you could ever fit all three perspectives into a single 'review.' Dismissing reviews because they don't fit your own perspective just seems short-sighted to me.

Any way you do look at it it seems like this is great for fans so good for them! I personally won't be buying it as I highly doubt I'll ever be able to reconcile with the story and I don't want to invest such a significant amount of time (as well as a significant amount of money considering 'The Story So Far' didn't release in Europe so I'd have to puy 1.5+2.5 and 2.8 seperately) attempting to do so.
The IGN review seems to be the more accurate one because the reviewer is a long time fan.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually great example of this scenario done right. It's been 8 years since the last tale of Kratos's end. SO they started off fresh as to not go the direction kingdom hearts did. It still was a continuation, but you didn't need to play all the previous PSP games and the likes to understand the story.

Kingdom hearts 3 suffers from there not being anything but prequel games that were on a mish mash of different devices only recently in the past couple years now they put them in a collection.

I don't want to play all of those just so I can get some context. And having a 20 minute recap video doesn't super help either interms of the impact of characters either dying or having some kind of arc.

They should have just started off with it being much later from kingdom hearts 2, and had a new starting point with some throw back references for the fans.

Which is why review wise it seems to be a main talking point about how convoluted the story seems to be to follow.
They started off fresh because that storyline was done, not because of the amount of time passed. It would make 0 zero sense to do what god of war did in this case. You've had over 4 years to play all the necessary games on 1 console (PS3 or PS4). The portable games aren't really spinoffs either, considering they have major plot implications to this storyline.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
So far probably as well reviewed as it can be, considering the series' reputation has become a bit of a joke in recent years because of its story.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Getting some great scores so far. Me like! Can't wait to get home and buy the JP version, cant contain myself.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They should have let the stuff in the past stay in the past games and start a fresh story that only references past things lightly. It's one thing if Kingdom hearts 2 came out like a couple years ago or something where it's kind of fresh still in peoples minds. It's another to literally be 13 years since that last mainline game and have a bunch of games from different handhelds, consoles in a collection that is kind of a must play to understand whats going on.

You can't just STOP the main storyline and start a new one when fans have been waiting over a decade for the conclusion. The backlash would've been catastrophic if they did that.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I like Birth by Sleep, but man does it have a lot of problems and almost all of them come from the tech-limited hardware it released on.

DDD is just a mess and I wish it was never even made.

I admire so much of what BBS tried to pull off given its limitations. The command form stuff was so awesome at the time and the melding was fun if a bit frustrating with the RNG.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Yeah they really did not sent a lot of copies. Revisiting the MC score after a week will be interesting :P.

Only 15 reviews within the first hour...while RE2 had over 50-60 by now and a 91 MC. This is a little obvious what they're doing here but next week the actual score will adjust so I wonder if it'll effect anything or not. Still not a good move by SE.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know, no French outlet got the game. No matter how big the outlet.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Any way you do look at it it seems like this is great for fans so good for them! I personally won't be buying it as I highly doubt I'll ever be able to reconcile with the story and I don't want to invest such a significant amount of time (as well as a significant amount of money considering 'The Story So Far' didn't release in Europe) attempting to do so.
we did get the "all-in-one package" digital bundle though

it includes all the previously released collections (to which you get access immediately) and a fully paid digital pre-order for 3 for $100/€110/£90

so you get everything you'd get with the story so far + 3 for the same price

though digital instead of physical

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
eurogamer just posted that they didn't get review code, and says other publications in the uk and europe are in similar position

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-24-kingdom-hearts-3-review

The review embargo for Kingdom Hearts 3 has just lifted, and you're likely to see reviews appear at a number of other publications which have had code since last week. As of yet, though, we're still to receive a review copy from Square Enix - due, we're told, to there being a limited number available. It seems a number of other publications in the UK and across Europe are in a similar position, while such limitations are, to our knowledge, less severe in the US.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
That's higher than I expected. I was expecting mid 80s scores.

I have to say I'm not that impressed anymore with the gamecafter viewing so many footage.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The IGN review seems to be the more accurate one because the reviewer is a long time fan.

I dont think accuracy actually works in this context...these reviews will be done by people who never played a KH, people who are big fans and up to speed, and more casual fans of the franchise who are not up to speed.

All reviews based on these criteria can be accurate to one's own experience.

THe only thing we can assume for sure is that the fan based reviews will line up with the fans expectations

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I like DDD a hell of a lot more than the do this boring shit 3X BBS bullshit.

BBS at least had a fully finished story. Dream Drop Distance felt almost completely vestigial except the scenes in the final world. You could've literally put that shit in a mobile game and saved everyone the money.

Also, Dream Eaters suck and leveling them via those minigames was awful.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well rip this bandaid off...

Spoiler the answer or whatever, but are there any FF characters in this game? Main characters I mean, not monsters or anything like that.

I'd like to know this too. I mean, surely there has to be *something*.

Also don't tell me who it is, but is there a secret cameo boss battle a la Sephiroth in the other games?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly they're doing?
PotableEntireBug-size_restricted.gif

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Wow awesome scores

Looks like Ill be getting both RE2 and KH3 after I catch up on my backlog

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Tim Rogers was kinda right in that 'Kingdom Hearts 3' is a very difficult game to review because, contextually, there are 3 different 'forms' Kingdom Hearts 3 can take depending on what you want from it and your experience of the series:

Kingdom Hearts 3: The standalone product
Kingdom Hearts 3: The last game in a franchise people have already played
Kingdom Hearts 3: The game you'll play after spending $60 and 150+ hours of your life playing other games

People in each of those three contexts are going to have a fundamentally different experience with KH3, and as such I doubt you could ever fit all three perspectives into a single 'review.' Dismissing reviews because they don't fit your own perspective just seems short-sighted to me.

Any way you do look at it it seems like this is great for fans so good for them! I personally won't be buying it as I highly doubt I'll ever be able to reconcile with the story and I don't want to invest such a significant amount of time (as well as a significant amount of money considering 'The Story So Far' didn't release in Europe so I'd have to puy 1.5+2.5 and 2.8 seperately) attempting to do so.
I straight up think the bold is a bad idea.

The series doesn't evolve enough, and in some ways, even feels like it takes steps backwards. To have to go through all of the games, and then play KH3 is just probably going to make you enjoy KH3 less. That's too much of one thing in a short period of time. I think it would be better to just jump straight into KH3. Yeah, the story may be confusing, but it's also always been poorly written so it's not a big deal. For the most part, you'll miss the greater connections, but I'm sure the core story will be straightforward enough to get an idea of what's going on. However, you'd be able to more enjoy what the series does right.

Yeah. I like Birth by Sleep, but man does it have a lot of problems and almost all of them come from the tech-limited hardware it released on.

DDD is just a mess and I wish it was never even made.
Unfortunately, that's just the franchise. Some good stuff. Some bad stuff. BBS had some frustratingly dumb stuff, but it was still alright. The other handheld games not so much. It doesn't help that handhelds are horrible to play on because they're just tiny. 3DS basically fucked up my hands whenever I used it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to know this too. I mean, surely there has to be *something*.

Also don't tell me who it is, but is there a secret cameo boss battle a la Sephiroth in the other games?

No. There are no FF cameos directly outside of the Dissidia nods and Versus XIII being kind of referenced/alluded to in the game a couple of times. There are superbosses, but no Sephiroth.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
So, you're saying that they should've scrapped the whole story of the previous games and left it without an ending so the games could please you? Nah, nope.
MGS didn't do this back in psx era, it didn't scrap the OG mg1 and 2 story and it did well, KH shouldn't have done it either.

here's the thing. i don't even remember the story from 2. I own it, I played back when it came out in 2006. I would have continued the story of the characters from that point being 13 years later. Reference the other characters from the spin offs lightly, but be a new story that is a continuation in characters only.

Would rather they done that then to try and understand where the story is, and who all these new characters are that are in the spin offs probably being referenced plot wise.

MGS1 and 2 are literally different games where you play mostly as a new character, new location, different timeline, with only the characters being the continuation.

The patriots storyline was a whole new story plot. Shadow moses was referenced only, and characters from past games referenced in story through flash backs. The way it starts with you as snake, then as raiden is great. Like only returning thing from first game is Liquid/ocelot(characters).

You can play MGS 2 not knowing much since past events are referenced in well done flash backs.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
BBS at least had a fully finished story. Dream Drop Distance felt almost completely vestigial except the scenes in the final world. You could've literally put that shit in a mobile game and saved everyone the money.

Also, Dream Eaters suck and leveling them via those minigames was awful.
yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

"kingdom hearts is fun, but what would really make it complete would be a 3ds style groping minigame with animals" said no one in the history of ever

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The Tron world in DDD is the worst world in the series so far and nothing you can say will change my mind

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
The critics are treating this better than I expected.

KH3 is basically more of the same but better (mechanics wise), like we all expected. And that's OK!

The Polygon reviewer was letting minor flaws totally color her view of the game. I'm glad to be in the camp that can love a game even if it's not perfect.

Plum

May 31, 2018

My post should show why I disagree, but I'll elaborate some more. No review is going to be "more accurate" than any other because no review can adequately cover the wildly different ways people will 'see' Kingdom Hearts 3. That review may be more accurate for long-time fans but it won't be accurate for someone buying the game as a standalone product or someone who will eventually play it once they've finished the rest of the series.

we did get the "all-in-one package" digital bundle though

it includes all the previously released collections (to which you get access immediately) and a fully paid digital pre-order for 3 for $100/€110/£90

so you get everything you'd get with the story so far + 3 for the same price

though digital instead of physical

Yeah I did see that but it's the 'digital' part that made me shy away from it. I didn't want to invest that amount of money into something I wasn't sure I'd like.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
They started off fresh because that storyline was done, not because of the amount of time passed. It would make 0 zero sense to do what god of war did in this case. You've had over 4 years to play all the necessary games on 1 console (PS3 or PS4). The portable games aren't really spinoffs either, considering they have major plot implications to this storyline.

Thats even worse.

I don't want to play all of those just so I can get the entire story. I want to just play the mainline games and understand whats going on. Which from most reviewers seems to be an issue still.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Again, it's entirely about the RNG. Sometimes he's easy. Sometimes he starts using his untelegraphed attacks over and over and you're kind of screwed.

There are certainly absent silhouettes/data bosses who are harder, but those weren't in the original version of the game.
IT's not about RNG though. Did you actually do the refights on critical? Not even talking level 1. The only thing you can't tell is coming is counter attacks from hitting his revenge value, everything else is predictable. See: https://youtu.be/3M_lcWqm8HE?t=80 He breaks down how to deal with every phase, its a super easy fight.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Most of the worlds being barren is a huge bummer considering the new hardware they had to work with.
thats dissapointing to hear but even then, also looks like a huge improvment on previous games and look at it like more of an action game and less like an rpg, action games have barren worlds except for enemies to focus on the combat,modern ones have dialogue and many setpieces but still its more of a combat arena than anything else.

How much empty we will have to play to figure out :^P