• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guess the Review Score

• 95+

Votes: 42 3.3%
  • 90-94

Votes: 192 15.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 592 46.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 366 28.9%
  • < 80

Votes: 73 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
It sounds like it is more Kingdom Hearts, complete with all the high points and short comings that each previous installment has also offered.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im very surprised they didnt make it an easy entry for newcomers.

For lots of kids and adults this will be their first game.

Thats a Shame.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think delaying the reviews and keeping them to specific critics is going to impact this and delay the final result until next week. By this time RE2 had over 50-60 reviews and secured a 91 MC. Probably not a good idea but I'm not SE.

Yeah it's a bit bone headed of SE to hold back review copies because the leaks are still going to leak, that's the nature of retail.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got a little misty eyed seeing the score (88 atm). It's been a long, long time coming and I'm so incredibly excited it's good. 13 years of patience has paid off.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
When the last mainline game release was around 13 years ago and the rest of the story is confusingly scattered over a mishmash of handheld games and re-releases, it sure would have been nice to have included something that would have brought newcomers up to speed. So no, I don't agree.

I guess you haven't seen where they've released two collections with every single game in the series in it for newcomers to play if they want to understand the story in KH3? Or hell, the one they recently released that had both collections in one. Acting as if every game in the series isn't readily available for those who want to jump in is ridiculous.

And as others have said, there's a story summary in the actual game that helps out newcomers.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Great start so far. I'm expecting it to finish between 82-85 like the other console games.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
No reviews at all from the french outlets. I sort of get it for Gamekult (I mean, it will be 7/10), but the others are, well... nice. It wasn't risky at all for Square, really odd.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Man this sentiment that people have no right to criticize the game not only being poor for newcomers but also being poorly told for those who actually have played the last two "mainline" games is completely bonkers. If only the people who played all the spinoffs could play this then your precious series would bomb and there wouldn't even be any more. Square-Enix, and even you count on newcomers to literally fund the game you want to happen.

And it's not like people are saying there should be no references at all or no building upon previous releases. Movies balance the need to put newcomers in seats with payoff for fans all the fucking time. Hell, games do this all the time, too! Witcher 3 did gangbusters and people don't hesitate to recommend it to people who haven't played W1/2 or read the books. Those definitely help enjoyment quite a lot, but they're not needed in the way Kingdom Hearts spinoffs are and that's absolutely a knock on Nomura and the game itself. That should especially come into pay when you're reviewing the game. Reviews are for a general audience. No one really needs a review that has been playing all of these things...

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
User Warned - Vilifying Game Journalism
lmao at people talking about the Polygon review. That garbage site isn't worth paying attention to at all, their clickbait reviews are fucking pathetic.

Everyone else is saying more or less what I expected. The combat is great, the Disney worlds are great, the soundtrack is stellar, and the game has a ton of amazing boss fights.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
lmao at people talking about the Polygon review. That garbage site isn't worth paying attention to at all, their clickbait reviews are fucking pathetic.

Everyone else is saying more or less what I expected. The combat is great, the Disney worlds are great, the soundtrack is stellar, and the game has a ton of amazing boss fights.

Can't wait for Tuesday.
What an embarrassing post

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The only problem with these fights that the rest of the game is too easy and you suddenly have to learn how to play.

Nah. Xaldin's an RNG monster. Skill is part of it, but the other half is just that sometimes his AI goes completely apeshit and you're just going to get overwhelmed.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
C'mon. The THAT ONE BOSS in KH2 was either Xaldin or Demyx.
Right on. I haven't had a problem with them since the first time I played but everyone complains about them.

The worst in the first game is both Ursulas.

GroundedAthleticBluetonguelizard-size_restricted.gif

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Xaldin's an RNG monster. Skill is part of it, but the other half is just that sometimes his AI goes completely apeshit and you're just going to get overwhelmed.

it all lies in the fact that he has almost no tells of what he's about to do and his teleport is so fast that you basically have to guess what attack he's pulling out when

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Polygon review isn't bad at all. Just read it and it seems a measured take. Seems to have liked a lot of things, and disliked various things. Fanbots whining about it need to sit down and get some perspective. Not everyone is going to adore every single thing about the game. And ultimately, people look for different things in a game. What makes a review worthwhile is if the reviewer is able to convey their feelings in a manner which makes sense, and the Polygon review does that just fine.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
The only problem with these fights that the rest of the game is too easy and you suddenly have to learn how to play.
Yeah I remember having loads of trouble as a kid but now I couldn't see the difficulty with Xaldin. I remember just dodging and using the arial dodge to accumulate lots of Jumps.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
When the last mainline game release was around 13 years ago and the rest of the story is confusingly scattered over a mishmash of handheld games and re-releases, it sure would have been nice to have included something that would have brought newcomers up to speed. So no, I don't agree.
1) Square Enix released a (series of?) videos detailing relevant stuff from past games going into KHIII.
2) Nowadays you can buy two things on a single platform and have every KH game (except the mobile one, which is shit)
3) even before, you only needed a PS2, PSP & 3DS in the span of over a decade to be caught up with relevant games. It's unfortunate that there is more than one platforms, but the realities of gaming platforms mean that they can't continue releasing games for PS2 forever

Bonus point: there are a ton of good fan-made & more professionally made recap videos of Kingdom Hearts. It's 2019, no one can claim they don't know how to find a couple of Youtube vids. If you're interested in Kingdom Hearts III, it's not a gargantuan task to view a couple of story recaps on Youtube, if you don't want to delve into actually playing old games yourself.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this sentiment that people have no right to criticize the game not only being poor for newcomers but also being poorly told for those who actually have played the last two "mainline" games is completely bonkers. If only the people who played all the spinoffs could play this then your precious series would bomb and there wouldn't even be any more. Square-Enix, and even you count on newcomers to literally fund the game you want to happen.

And it's not like people are saying there should be no references at all or no building upon previous releases. Movies balance the need to put newcomers in seats with payoff for fans all the fucking time. Hell, games do this all the time, too! Witcher 3 did gangbusters and people don't hesitate to recommend it to people who haven't played W1/2 or read the books. Those definitely help enjoyment quite a lot, but they're not needed in the way Kingdom Hearts spinoffs are and that's absolutely a knock on Nomura and the game itself. That should especially come into pay when you're reviewing the game. Reviews are for a general audience. No one really needs a review that has been playing all of these things...
Good post

Too bad people see reviews as a marketing tool which could do in their favorite game.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you accusing Allegra Frank of not playing KH3? lol

Nya not exactly. "Didn't play" is wrong, but "didn't finish" at all would be more correct. There are just some strange parts in the review and...in the end it's exactly nothing at all. Where is the review about the game itself? It also feels a bit rushed.