• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Question about Saix.
Who's this girl he and Axel were trying to find? Is it someone we're supposed to know?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Can someone explain gummi and pirate ship controls for me? I don't play this game myself but I have a friend who's had regular complaints about not being able to control the gummi ship properly, and she also mentioned something about controlling a pirate ship basically only using the left stick, including using it to look around as well?

I have zero context with the games so I don't really understand the complaints but would like to help her

Edit: also something about controlling a mini heartless in the sky? She's stuck fighting some big heartless and it's been her 5th attempt, apparently. Any help would be great

What is there to say? These are things you just need enough practice on to do well. That said I don't see much issue with the gummi ship outside of running into stuff a bit due to speed so slow down.

For pirates you control the (giant) reticle with the right stick. It's a bit hard to turn the ship, but so long as you can aim for the enemy orbs and block when you should you'll be ok. Some fights take a few tries.

If she means Dark Baymax, there is a very lenient heal during the fight so use that and hold down the shoot button.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
They really didn't wanna pay for some voices

*late game spoilers*

*Ansem the Wise appears in the lab*

Aeleus and Dilan: *quiet shock*

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
What is there to say? These are things you just need enough practice on to do well. That said I don't see much issue with the gummi ship outside of running into stuff a bit due to speed so slow down.

For pirates you control the (giant) reticle with the right stick. It's a bit hard to turn the ship, but so long as you can aim for the enemy orbs and block when you should you'll be ok. Some fights take a few tries.

If she means Dark Baymax, there is a very lenient heal during the fight so use that and hold down the shoot button.
No she's in the pirate world at the moment. I just totally spoiled a minor boss fight for her 😭

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
It took me over an hour to beat the Olympus one. The sledding is just so bad
Dunno how people say it's easy. The road here is very small and you risk on bashing on the walls so often, if you avoid the speed arrows you won't get flans, if you use speed arrow the chance to hit something is big. It's an awful minigame. I have no problem with the others, but this one is so bad.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the Olympus Flan was the most annoying one, but the rest were ok mostly. I did have a little trouble with the BH6 one at first.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
The Olympus Flan was the worst most definitely. Once you get into the open area, it's easier but that beginning part is annoying. Outside of that one though, the scores to get for the plat were pretty simple.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I am usually generous with mini games, and I like most of the mini games in KH3. The Olympus Flan and egg cooking in the restaurant are probably the only 2 that bothers me. The rest vary from serviceable to really enjoying it.

I really enjoy the gummi ship here for the most part. The only thing that bothers me is some of the controls during exploration phase. Changing the camera sensitivity helped a lot but it's still not perfect.

Speaking of which, is there a way for camera to stay still during exploration? Whenever I turn the camera with my right stick, it snaps back to the default position once I let it go.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
vplK85b.gif

https://twitter.com/Much118x

Beautiful colours!!! This world is so good so far. It may be up there with Corona if it continues to impress. :)

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Boy, the secret boss sure was a pushover. Just finished them on Proud. Is this all you have brought me?!

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The new Master Xehanort voice for JP (Akio Ootsuka) did fantastic job doing his father's voice.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
My first kingdom hearts game. Playing with my 5 and a half year old daughter. Scrooge's voice bums me out. Seems like the actor is trying to replicate the new Scrooge voice rather than the old one. Also wish that they had a good editor. Game has some great content but oh boy the cutscenes can be long, non-sensical and repetitive with the square characters.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If I literally just beat big hero 6 last night, saved, and quit, how much longer will it take me to beat the game? Want to know if I'll have enough time to do it tonight.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played about an hour last night. I've never played a KH game before but I'm really enjoying it. I love the cutscenes when you interact with all the Disney characters. Definitely still has that charm to it.

Also Donald Duck is an asshole but I still love him lol.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I just started my KH3 playthrough today

I originally wasn't planning to go anywhere near KH3 without having finished 2.8 and 0.2 but unfortunately my relative (who gifted me a brand new copy) didn't know that, so now I feel obliged to play through the game.

My run's been on Level 1 Proud (since I heard the game wasn't really hard), and I'm 4 hours in and up to Toy Story (note: I've been skipping cutscenes for this run). The reason for skipping cutscenes is half "I kinda want to get into 2.8 and 0.2 before I properly get into 3's story, so I'll avoid as much as I can" and half "holidays are ending for me this week, so I need to finish this game ASAP"

As for the actual game so far:
KH3 Proud is no KH2FM Critical, and KH3's combat is not KH2 levels of fluid, but I'm still having fun. I think all the improvements to the combat (like timers for the Limit Commands; or being able to manually choose Limit Commands; or being able to cast magic while moving) are actually really great and personally, they make it easy to overlook the combat's floatiness. The combat is definitely different, but I also think it has its own unique charms.

My only dislike so far is that there's seemingly less options for party member behaviour than in KH2. I looked for a "target same enemy as Sora option" since the default behaviour wasn't aggressive enough, but it seems that already *is* the default option, which is disappointing.

With regards to the difficulty level; I've died trying to figure out bosses and I've died to a few encounters due to not understanding what the game wanted (e.g. took me a while to figure out that they wanted me to use the Olympus Keyblade and its counter abilities for that large heartless / nobody fight in Twilight Town) but it's not too hard. It's certainly not as easy as I was led to believe (though I'm also doing a Level 1 Proud Run, so I don't know if it's easier without level-locking).

My only real complaint is that everything is really damage sponge-y on this difficulty, like ridiculously so. I thought it was only for the early game but I'm here on Toy Story world and I have to clobber these fat generic heartless for ages before they die. While the balance has been a bit better with the bosses, there's still been a few repetitive fights, specifically
the Wind and Rock Titans.

The Rock Titan was kinda understandable. I tried taking on the Rock Titan without using the On-Rail Shooter Attraction but it just took forever normally. That was sort of fine, they wanted you to use the Attraction/Limit Command because it's still the tutorial and it's a really gimmicky fight in general so fair enough.

The Wind Titan Fight though was so much worse. You do almost no damage normally (unless you guard/parry the debris, which still requires some timing), there are periods where he just can't be hurt (like when he flings you up into the sky) and there are other times where he'll just blow you away and then do nothing, which doesn't do anything other than wast etime. His fight ended up being almost 10 minutes long. It wasn't even challenging, just really tedious.

Anyway, that's it so far. Can't really comment on the overall story (since I'm basically ignoring it for now), though I will say: Olympus surprised me more than I was expecting it to. Like, that world has been in so many KH Games, and only as an arena, that it wasn't ever really my favorite type of world (except for the arena bits). Actually seeing a decently realized Mount Olympus, and also getting to fight all the Titans (who I always felt were visually cool, but super underutilized in the original movie), all that has given me a newfound appreciation for the world and animated film.

Oh yeah, I also loved the callbacks to KH1 at the start of the game.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone tried critical yet? My big dissapoint with this game is how easy it is on proud.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should I bother grinding to get the Starlight Keyblade early from the phone game or is it not even that good of a keyblade? I've just been leveling up the Kingdom Key anyway... Playing on Proud Mode btw.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Should I bother grinding to get the Starlight Keyblade early from the phone game or is it not even that good of a keyblade? I've just been leveling up the Kingdom Key anyway... Playing on Proud Mode btw.

I like Starlight a lot. It was my most used keyblade by the end of the game. But it's not like you need it, especially if you don't want to grind all the Classic Kingdom games in UX.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom key was my most used/main keyblade until I got Ultima weapon in post game(sooo good), you're perfectly fine going through the whole game with KK personally.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Miss me with these mini games, no way lol. I should of known I wouldn't wanna waste time getting the Ultima weapon so close to beating the game anyway and I'll have to get it again anyway if we ever get critical mode.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Postgame battlegates are no joke. With the exception of one endgame boss, these damn things have killed me more times than anything else in the game.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Postgame battlegates are no joke. With the exception of one endgame boss, these damn things have killed me more times than anything else in the game.

The battlegates are an immense help in getting that "grind to lvl 99" trophy, though. They give out so much exp that you can go 50 -> 99 in an hour or two.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the earliest I can get the Ultima Weapon/start collecting materials for it? I know I won't have everything til near endgame, but I want it as quickly as possible.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What's the earliest I can get the Ultima Weapon/start collecting materials for it? I know I won't have everything til near endgame, but I want it as quickly as possible.

You won't be able to get some of the materials needed to even unlock the UW recipe until you're partway through the final world and the Battlegates pop up. Illusory Crystals and Evanescent Crystals can only be found in those, as far as I can tell.

A couple of the Orichalcum+s can be grabbed before the postgame, though. There's at least one in a regular chest in the Caribbean and you can get the Flantastic Seven one early too.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you're going for trophies you're almost guaranteed to get that without even trying due to the synthesis trophy.
Not necessarily. I was only level 80 when I finished the synth trophy, and that's with going the extra mile to also max out every keyblade in the game.

You can get everything except a single orichalcum+ before the last world.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly. Were you using the equipment designed to make item farming faster like the Favorite Deputy keyblade and lucky rings?

As long as it's equipped in a backup slot, Favorite Deputy's Lucky Strike passive is always active, right? It doesn't need to be your actual main keyblade? That's how it seems to me but it could just be placebo effect.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As long as it's equipped in a backup slot, Favorite Deputy's Lucky Strike passive is always active, right? It doesn't need to be your actual main keyblade? That's how it seems to me but it could just be placebo effect.
I have no idea. I made sure to have it be the keyblade I was actively using just in case.