• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 31 hours in and only now did the last of the Disney worlds. Though I have been doing a moderate amount of exploration/trying to find Lucky emblems and, like, 95% of all the Gummi Ship collectibles & missions. People must've rushed through this shit to reach the end in <25 hours.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I will say that is kind of weird is the structure of the game. I'll tag it even though it's not super spoilery, just kind of an observation.

It really feels like a game of two halves. They frontload the Disney stuff and backload the major KH stuff. Sure, they intersperse small tidbits here and there, but a majority of the first half of the game is focused on you just traversing the Disney worlds. Then as soon as you are done with San Fransokyo, it's like 8-10 hours of straight KH stuff. And all the big story payoffs are stuffed in that second half.

I don't even know that it's really a complaint or a negative. Just an interesting creative decision. Previous games did break off into "KH stuff" at the very end, but this game is much more of a neat 50/50 split down the middle of it.
If anything, this is the first time since KH1 when the story is more evenly spread between Disney fan service and main story even during the Disney worlds. Granted, a lot of the core story prior to the end game insanity IS mostly building blocks that don't really get going until the last Disney world or two, but it's still better than anything after 1.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, this is the first time since KH1 when the story is more evenly spread between Disney fan service and main story even during the Disney worlds. Granted, a lot of the core story prior to the end game insanity IS mostly building blocks that don't really get going until the last Disney world or two, but it's still better than anything after 1.

I disagree. With KH2 half way through there was the whole battle for Hollow Bastion thing that majorly pushed things forward in regards to the main narrative. So, the overarching narrative was pushed at the beginning, middle, and then end with Disney between each of those. Here it isn't pushed at all until the end. It starts off with Disney and just focused on that until the end where it switches over.

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
I just beat the game.
Man I have 4 major questions about that ending :

1. How the hell is Kairi back
2. What happened to sora (yeah yeah sequel hook I know)
3. Who was "that girl" that was always referenced. Was it meant to be Ava?
4. Seriously Nomura, WHAT THE FRIG IS IN THAT BOX!?

Overall loved the game. It was truely Nomura's super salty mega adventure, to be sure.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
RML9hBw.gif
Wow what's happening here? Played 30 hours of KH3 but never knew you can cast blizzard and glide on it? :o

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Quick question. Is the game fun? Im thinking of buying tomorrow but don't have clue about the story (I will make my own up)

As long as there is a lot of Disney stuff and fun gameplay I will be happy.
Buy it, there's 15 to 20 hours of fun Disney stuff. And who knows, maybe you like the other main story stuff just as much as us.

EDIT: went something wrong with my quotes, so triple post ...

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posted this in the spoilers thread but a thought I had that I thought was funny after you complete the first world.
Ienzo: Whatever happens between Roxas and (Aeleus) is in the past.

Considering Sora never fought Lexaeus is that a reference to him punching Roxas in the face in Days?

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I just finished Toy Story and I've really enjoyed the game more. Olympus was okay but the Segments after kept me more entertained and interested.

The battle system with the attractions can be annoying in that it's all spectacle but it's fun, I'm interested to see how it evolves. However, I do hope for a much more strategic approach to combat in FF7R. This is the only thing that worries me because I know this game is going to sell like crazy and I just want this type of gameplay to be relegated to the KH series. Too much spillover and it can make the combat mundane when every battle can be won with over the top Triangle specials.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Toy Story and I've really enjoyed the game more. Olympus was okay but the Segments after kept me more entertained and interested.

The battle system with the attractions can be annoying in that it's all spectacle but it's fun, I'm interested to see how it evolves. However, I do hope for a much more strategic approach to combat in FF7R. This is the only thing that worries me because I know this game is going to sell like crazy and I just want this type of gameplay to be relegated to the KH series. Too much spillover and it can make the combat mundane when every battle can be won with over the top Triangle specials.
I agree with you there, I love the combat in the this game but it's not what I want from Final Fantasy. I've been a bit concerned about VII:R since they said it wouldn't be turn based

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Quick endgame impressions!
That was...disappointing to say the least. There's no real final world, akin to Hollow Bastion/End of the World or TWTNW, just flurry of poorly paced cutscenes and boss fights. On top of that, the final boss is kinda....not great? I was anticipating something to one-up KH2 - especially after some of the earlier bosses - but it just felt like a rehash of FFXV's final boss. Hell, the Union X sequence has more emotional punch that Goatboy!

Also, the whole idea of Xehanort possessing twelve vessels was completely meaningless? He didn't even possess them! "I'm already half Xehanort!" went nowhere XD Literally could've played that plotline out with the original XIII and nothing would've changed, rendering all that time-travel nonsense completely pointless...

At least Shimomura didn't disappoint!

This opinion...

t5Fb76i.gif

tbh i see where you are coming from, but take a bit of time to digest it. Things do make sense the more you think of it.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. With KH2 half way through there was the whole battle for Hollow Bastion thing that majorly pushed things forward in regards to the main narrative. So, the overarching narrative was pushed at the beginning, middle, and then end with Disney between each of those. Here it isn't pushed at all until the end. It starts off with Disney and just focused on that until the end where it switches over.
Hollow Bastion is pretty much the only thing that happens in KHII between the beginning and the end. KHIII doesn't have such but it has a lot more smaller cutscenes that set up stuff. Lots of interactions between Org XIII members. During Disney worlds and before/after each one. You can argue they don't move the story forward enough but at least it has them whereas KHII has the intro and then a whole lot of nothing before the end, apart from the big heartless battle (which doesn't really move the story forward in a meaningful way).

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I LOVE the opening video they put with "Don't think twice" orchestra, it's such a nostalgia trip for me, I always end up watching a bit before going into the game!

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Buy it, there's 15 to 20 hours of fun Disney stuff. And who knows, maybe you like the other main story stuff just as much as us.

EDIT: went something wrong with my quotes, so triple post ...

Cheers, im gonna wait until it dips below £30 and get it then. I have plenty of games to play right now anyway and im giving games a rest in general right now.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That 100 acre wood really was something uh?

It was maddening not being able to find Lucky Emblems! Sora kept saying "UH! A lucky emblem", and I was walking around not finding anything in such a small place!

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne

Just having the Roxas part at the start is really crucial I think. It raises the stakes immediately, and stakes are what KH3 just lacks completely for the most part. I enjoyed the Disney worlds immensely in this game and I'm glad they were a bigger focus this time, but I'm still disappointed with how they handled the overarching plot.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I agree with you there, I love the combat in the this game but it's not what I want from Final Fantasy. I've been a bit concerned about VII:R since they said it wouldn't be turn based

Yeah I don't want to come off as not enjoying it because I really do love it, and really look forward to every new Keyblade, but I just want something different, possibly more organic if that makes sense.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished frozen world. First Keyblade I got that doesn't look like butt. The Toy Story and Monster Inc Keyblades are absolutely atrocious designs.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Anybody got any tips
Stairway to the Sky specifically the battle the real Organisation XIII.
I keep dying and it's start to get pretty demoralising, I had to stop myself from throwing my controller a few times last night.

I am wondering now if I am under leveled, I hope not, because I really don't want to load an earlier save and grind, because it took a long time to get here.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody got any tips
Stairway to the Sky specifically the battle the real Organisation XIII.
I keep dying and it's start to get pretty demoralising, I had to stop myself from throwing my controller a few times last night.

I am wondering now if I am under leveled, I hope not, because I really don't want to load an earlier save and grind, because it took a long time to get here.
Just spam simba and use the pirates keyblade.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
where do you find Portobello in this game, i need to for one final recipe can i can't find it anywhere

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Before I start the game I want to know this. I'm really bad at action games. Can I play at Normal and if by the end I don't have enough emblems, switch to Proud and try to beat the final boss in order to view the secret ending?

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Before I start the game I want to know this. I'm really bad at action games. Can I play at Normal and if by the end I don't have enough emblems, switch to Proud and try to beat the final boss in order to view the secret ending?

You can't change difficulty.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest.. sometimes in combat I have no idea what is happening. I'm on a ship and next thing you know I'm on a water raft. This game is in credible.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
No, you can't switch difficulty during the game.

If you don't want to bother with the emblems then just watch the secret ending of 2 minutes online.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Why is 100 Acre Wood so short??? Did they think people didn't like it or something?

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So toy story world compared to tangled is my favorite, I got lost (literally only a problem the first time I play this though) but some of the fan service.... Oh my God this game is really trying it's hardest to crawl into my heart

Also can someone nonspoiler tell me the requirements for the secret movie? I'm playing on normal but I'm going for it after beating it the first time

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So toy story world compared to tangled is my favorite, I got lost (literally only a problem the first time I play this though) but some of the fan service.... Oh my God this game is really trying it's hardest to crawl into my heart

Also can someone nonspoiler tell me the requirements for the secret movie? I'm playing on normal but I'm going for it after beating it the first time
you need 50 hidden mickeys/lucky emblems

Kingsora

May 19, 2018

50 Mickey Emblems for normal, 30 for Proud it seems

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, so I'm watching the endingof the game on YouTube, and I'm blown away how bad the voice acting is.

Seriously, everyone talks. like. they're. reading. off. a . page.

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
I like Japanese games and enjoy anime, so far the cutscene feel heavy on the cheese side and somewhat awkward, long pauses during conversations, exaggerated expressions. Even the story so far feels very very old school in a bad way.
I don't think that your opinion is unpopolar, Olympus does feel a little dated. Like I said though, I feel like Toy Box is an improvement in those regards, as cutscenes so far (because it's the world I'm currently in) have a better flow and better dialogues