• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just completed the first world and...I'm absolutely loving it. Everything just feels so fluid and quick, it's absolutely gorgeous, and all the charm the series is known for is still here in spades. The wait has been so long (KH1 was the first JRPG I beat back in elementary school) but my first impression is that they delivered.

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy those starting the game today, you're in for a ride.

I'm almost done with the game. I just started with the last world.

I'll wait till I end the game, but I kinda found you're a bit overpowered for the boss fights against the real organization. Especially having glide for most of their revenge moves and keyblade transformations to stagger most of them and avoid some revenge faces (And even rage form it's so OP).
Guess I'll be crazier to fight them without it since they team up, but also far more challenging. Still would like to alternate the order in which I beat every boss to see the "overpowered version" of every single one.
Maybe they're in the final world. who knows.

Let's see if they end up adding critical to the game.

Last edited:

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
yooooooo, that toy story intro though when you first enter the world.

BhetjaXIV

Sep 8, 2018
Belgium
Ok thanks. Going with proud

I'd definitely recommand proud, I didn't play the previous KH games in proud because I always was kind of lazy, and decided to push my limits with KHIII.

It didn't happen at all. Game felt just right but not difficult, I never had to reconsider a fight and prepare... So I guess normal is super easy.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Yo does that kid have a "The Bouncer" t-shirt.

Ok, I've never gotten into Kingdom Hearts but I'm in, gonna buy this game lol.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Trying to power through BBS and KH3D before I buy this (also helps that I'm flat broke at the end of the month...)

Not for the story, just never completed those two and it always bothered me.

I also maintain that KH3D is essentially KH3, don't know how a game that carries on the stories of Riku/Sora could be called anything else! But ah well, semantics.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Anyone know where to find this treasure chest?

9cb93d6b46626d6dd106d630fe6f332f.jpg

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I love that Nomura takes the piss out of his own story in this.

The Mickey Line to Rikku early on was great.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Never thought I'd ever hear Rex from Toy Story talk about defeating Bahamut in a video game. Holy shit lmao.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Now that it's 5 AM and I've put five hours in, it's time for me to call it a night lol. I'm in the middle of the second Disney world. Game's fantastic so far, and everything I hoped it would be.

Can't wait to really dig into it tomorrow.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, having a crazy amount of fun so far. I wasn't expecting the level design to feel like so much of a step up from previous games. That, combined with the insane visuals of 3 make these worlds feel like the kind of playgrounds I'd always hoped for in earlier titles. As someone who tends to just steamroll through the Disney worlds I'm actually excited to explore around each one now.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PlanetSmasher was interested in how my first foray into Kingdom Hearts would go, so here's my very early impressions. I waited out the midnight launch and played about an hour so far (which is more like 10-15 minutes of actual gameplay with the rest being cutscenes, opening themes and whatnot), never touched a KH game before, what I know from the story is 90% from that Story So Far series of videos they released these days on YouTube and that are in the game.

It's actually... not bad? I'll reserve proper opinions until much later in the game (will definitely continue later today), but so far I'm mostly satisfied.

- The worlds are gorgeous. I've never seen a game portray cartoon worlds in such a technically satisfying and detailed manner. On One X it's stellar to look at, I don't think there's another game that conveys such cartoony worlds with this detail and this level of sharpness. Super Mario Odyssey could come close but obviously the weaker assets and the lower resolution hurt the overall experience a little bit in comparison - then again there's not a lot of triple-A budget games with this style out there.

- The gameplay is passable for now. It is very spectacular but so far very basic, and the controls are not particularly intuitive or precise. Jumping with B, attacking with A, dodging with X - the hell? Dodgy camera work, a lot of semi-automated moves - yeah, this will take some time to get used to. It's serviceable, but I'm not a fan of it so far. May grow on me and it looks good at least.

- So far I get the story. Sora conveniently not remembering almost anything is actually a great excuse for the game to have an abundance of cutscenes, mechanism explanations, dialogues refreshing about past events, etc.. Considering I only watched those couple minutes each videos so far and I printed out a character sheet (which I yet have to use), I'm surprised to have understood everything so far. I imagine this will change in a bit.

- The actual dialogues are hit and miss. The timing seems often off, many phrases and cuts seem weird, and the quality of the voicework (the English one) is not quite consistent. Certain Disney characters seemed a bit jarring so far, but not bad enough to kill the experience.

- The OST is fantastic so far. Came in for the Skrillex theme, remained for the brilliant orchestrals.

- I expected the Disney interactions to be a lot more cringey, but so far they ain't bad. It's probably going to get worse come Winnie The Pooh and such, but we'll see.

Overall, so far, I'm surprisingly fascinated by what I'm seeing. Those short videos made me "get it", now I have a little bit of interest in the storyline (until a week ago I thought I'd skip 90% of cutscenes and just play the game). Given how beautiful the worlds have been so far and the level of spectacle and creativity in the encounters, I think I'll definitely continue this game for a bit. The gameplay isn't too exciting or precise so far, but the overall package seems worth it at the moment. Looking forward to the minigames and the worlds from the better Disney/Pixar universes.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
It's just starting to sink in that this game is finally here. Can't wait to get home after work and put in my disc.

I just remembered the one early trailer where sora was riding the train and fighting the rock titan. I was so amazed by that footage and it felt so long ago and now we are here.

Dusker

Jul 6, 2018
Managed to play for a few hours yesterday and I'm absolutely loving this but I was really surprised (and disappointed) to find out there's no HDR support, especially after reading Kotaku's impressions mentioning its use of HDR.

Nevertheless, can't wait to get off work and continue this journey!

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
Without spoiling too much, is there some sort of Journal in this game? I'm at the first world and i haven't seen any sign of a journal? :/ Kinda miss thoose.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
two questions.

In the beginning, for min maxing, can anyone recommend what to choose?

And second. Does this have a critical difficulty mode?

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I'm a bit more tan 2 hours in and have just reached the summit of Olympus. For the first time in the series I feel like I'm actually exploring a world and not just going through levels with the appropiate Disney movie decorations (Dream Drop Distance was, to be fair, the start of going await with such restrictive level design, but nothing like they've done here). The spectacle has also been cranked up to 11 seems like.

It's an absolute joy so far.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So I see that at the start of the game you choose things that determine your stats and what you unlock.

So what are people preferring. Attack or Magic?

I'm trying to decide between Wisdom Mystic and Vitality Warrior. Though I could also be a balanced guardian.

Luckily I won't have the game for another 8 hours or so, so I have time to decide lol.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
So I see that at the start of the game you choose things that determine your stats and what you unlock.

So what are people preferring. Attack or Magic?

I'm trying to decide between Wisdom Mystic and Vitality Warrior. Though I could also be a balanced guardian.

Luckily I won't have the game for another 8 hours or so, so I have time to decide lol.
same, kinda. Would love some input.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play through the first complete world, the gameplay gets awesome ;)

Definitely will! Unfortunately there was no New Zealand trick to play the game early, so I had to wait until midnight, which inevitably limited my playtime as I had my alarm set for 6.55am this morning. Didn't want to zombie through the day. But yeah, I'm curious to see more.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at work for another hour but this whole shift my mind has been focused on Kingdom Hearts III and the entire joy I experienced with the first two worlds.

I just want to jump back in and meet up with Rapunzel!

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely will! Unfortunately there was no New Zealand trick to play the game early, so I had to wait until midnight, which inevitably limited my playtime as I had my alarm set for 6.55am this morning. Didn't want to zombie through the day. But yeah, I'm curious to see more.
Luckily for me, there was a "shop got the game 4 days early" trick :D

KH games always start kinda slow, gameplay wise. The way it's presented in KH3 is actually great imo, especially for newer players since you gradually unlock most gameplay mechanics that were introduced in older KH games. Even after playing through all games this past year, it would have been way too much for me if everything would have been unlocked since the beginning.