• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
2nd world and not feeling the combat at all:

-Feels floaty
-Flowmotion is kinda awkward
-no reaction commands so far?
-you dont have 100% of your special abilities or when will they trigger

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
2nd world and not feeling the combat at all:

-Feels floaty
-Flowmotion is kinda awkward
-no reaction commands so far?
-you dont have 100% of your special abilities or when will they trigger
You get more flowmotion abilities as you progress.

Reaction commands were removed.

What do you mean by your last point?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

upgraded my ship little bit so the boss battle ended way faster than the first time.
I am too lazy to make the ship from the scratch though.. I wish there was some sort of online option to upload/download template from people.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is annoying shit going on with synthesis. If you make shards and stones they won't be added to your amount until you exit and re-enter the moogle shop. So you're wondering why you can't make your item yet you've made the required amount of materials.

The combat is pretty good but there is too much going on with attractions, team attacks etc. I found out that you can cycle between finish commands with L2, I typically stick to Kingdom Key and use Second Form. It feels most KH2 ish. I think this is the reason you can upgrade any keyblade, you can choose your playstyle and stick with it. I think i'll stick to Kingdom Key for now.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
You get more flowmotion abilities as you progress.

Reaction commands were removed.

What do you mean by your last point?

From what I understand you "charge" special abilities by repeating attacks: many Fire attacks unlock Fira, many normal attacks unlock second form, etc. I find this an inferior system to simply unlucking the skill and having to wait for the cooldown. Many times I have like 3 or 4 abilities charged and ready to be mindlessly spammed.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Just did the infamous crab collection I heard about, it's a weird mission but not bad at all. Thought it would be far worse and time consuming

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a de facto best/favourite video summary of the entire series' story so far that everyone on here loves? I just can't bring myself to read a massive wiki but I'd like to be caught up on what I missed, as I only played KH1 and the first quarter of KH2. lol

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Hi, i have a simple question, i don't played no KH. I just watch a recap of the game. I can play KH3 just for enjoy the game and the Disney World or there is no interest ? Thanks

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, i have a simple question, i don't played no KH. I just watch a recap of the game. I can play KH3 just for enjoy the game and the Disney World or there is no interest ? Thanks

I'd say go for it, the story is confusing but if you're happy to just ply it for the gameplay and Disney worlds you'll still have a good time!

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched (awful) live-streams of Olympus, Toy Box, and Corona and the worlds are large and filled with Disney charm. I imagine Disney exclusive fans can enjoy the game.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand you "charge" special abilities by repeating attacks: many Fire attacks unlock Fira, many normal attacks unlock second form, etc. I find this an inferior system to simply unlucking the skill and having to wait for the cooldown. Many times I have like 3 or 4 abilities charged and ready to be mindlessly spammed.
I don't understand what the bolded part is from previous KH games.
You still learn new skills along the way, like as you progress the game you learn higher tier magic and new magics, summons, skill, etc.

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
You can definitely do that. This game is praised for the gameplay and the Disney worlds, and they'll be fun regardless of the story.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You'll still unlock those abilities, when you unlock Fira, after repeating it's use you will be able to use Firaga, and so on.

Absolutely, the disney worlds seem to be a joy, and like 70% (?) of the game is spent on exploring those worlds.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a de facto best/favourite video summary of the entire series' story so far that everyone on here loves? I just can't bring myself to read a massive wiki but I'd like to be caught up on what I missed, as I only played KH1 and the first quarter of KH2. lol

Sounds like you are in the same situation this guy was:

Sly_Ardyn

Dec 30, 2018
Just finished downloading the entire game and update. Thought I'd be able to play the game. :(

I read a theory in KHInsider that perhaps the game won't be out in NA and England because SE has their respective corporate offices there, and they may just wait for the sake of complying with the SE HQ.

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished downloading the entire game and update. Thought I'd be able to play the game. :(

I read a theory in KHInsider that perhaps the game won't be out in NA and England because SE has their respective corporate offices there, and they may just wait for the sake of complying with the SE HQ.

Well, the game officially releases worldwide on the 29th, the pre-load is just so you can play the game when it's unlocked at midnight without having to wait for the game to download.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Reaction commands were my favorite part of KH2... do you guys miss them in their absence in KH3?
Cant say I miss them. They were cool in KH2 but nothing essential for me.

A part of a boss in KH3 had me gasp because it felt like I actually was in control of something that could have been a reaction command, that stuff is good.

Sly_Ardyn

Dec 30, 2018
Well, the game officially releases worldwide on the 29th, the pre-load is just so you can play the game when it's unlocked at midnight without having to wait for the game to download.
Yeah. I know. It's just that since the game is officially out in some countries of the EUR region, I thought I'd be surprised, haha.

Or SE/PSN would have slipped and accidentally let us play the game, lol.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Argh need to complete KH2 before this comes out. Currently playing on PS4 and... Just past 1st pirate area :/ I've a long way to go don't I

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ooof. Although I know I'm shooting myself in the foot but I'm only going to do KH2. I completed Dream Drop Distance and Birth by Sleep back in the day (along with KH1) so I'm going to leave it at that.
Oh you're good then. I'm pretty sure he assumed you didn't play that game although it's an odd order to play them in especially playing DDD before 2. At least BBS takes place before 2

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
To think I just downloaded the game I have been waiting fourteen years to play.. chills. I still remember my dumb little theories my friends and I would come up with on the playground in fifth grade. Phew. The nostalgia came back to bite this morning.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah, I'm feeling kind of down with the combat so far. It's an interesting iteration, don't get me wrong, but the way it basically takes away control from the player is a negative for me. KH3 is different from the others in that regular battles consist of a lot more enemies. 0.2 was already trending towards this, but enemy numbers have been increased a lot for this one. The idea of fighting bigger groups is fine, but the execution is disappointing.

In KH2 for example, you'd focus on specific problematic enemies first and pretty much take down most enemies one by one from there. In KH3 you do some combo's, cast some spells and immediately you get to activate abilities. Most of the abilities are big AoE attacks that allow you to take down multiple enemies at once. It sure looks flashy, but I ended up feeling kind of disconnected from the fights.

The biggest offender for me are the attractions. You get i-frames during startup and while in the attraction, making them ridiculously overpowered. The combat thefore quickly boils down to attacking the heartless that allows you to trigger it and basically wipe the screen with the attack. The attractions themselves are fun once or twice, but they're so overpowered that they rapidly become a bore. There is no skill in using them either, you're just mindlessly wrecking enemies. I guess you could just not use them, but at that point you're handicapping yourself just to try to have fun. It's also not just the attractions, link abilities and some of the other super attacks you trigger feel the same. It should be noted that because of all this the game ends up feeling quite easy on Proud.

To end on a positive note, I do like some of the tweaks. I love that you can use multiple keyblades and that they have their own abilities. I'm also glad they tuned the flowmotion stuff down so that you can't spam that wherever like in DDD. How do you guys feel so far?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
For the console / handheld entries, I recommend the Game Trailers one. It covers everything up until Dream Drop Distance, and it's pretty thorough, explaining many of the various concepts and character ties of the series: https://youtu.be/xm-NoyqzGkY

Alternatively, there's an official set of recap videos by Square Enix that are included in the game via a patch, but they're heavily condensed and leave out a lot of details. They probably cover just enough to get a basic understanding of the story needed to enjoy KH3, but I only recommend it if you're short on time: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeBcr5Rpp49phVR-_GAIevGt35FUfWxe_

And finally, you'll want to watch a summary of the mobile game, Kingdom Hearts X / Kingdom Hearts Union Cross. Apparently it does have a heavy connection to KH3, even though Nomura has said in the past that it's meant more for setting up what comes after KH3. I'm still getting caught up on this myself, but I've been watching this video by damo279: https://youtu.be/bbkXWBu-RBw

... and its follow-up video, which covers the events added to the game after the first video was put out: https://youtu.be/E5f9XnpqfQI

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm feeling kind of down with the combat so far. It's an interesting iteration, don't get me wrong, but the way it basically takes away control from the player is a negative for me. KH3 is different from the others in that regular battles consist of a lot more enemies. 0.2 was already trending towards this, but enemy numbers have been increased a lot for this one. The idea of fighting bigger groups is fine, but the execution is disappointing.

In KH2 for example, you'd focus on specific problematic enemies first and pretty much take down most enemies one by one from there. In KH3 you do some combo's, cast some spells and immediately you get to activate abilities. Most of the abilities are big AoE attacks that allow you to take down multiple enemies at once. It sure looks flashy, but I ended up feeling kind of disconnected from the fights.

The biggest offender for me are the attractions. You get i-frames during startup and while in the attraction, making them ridiculously overpowered. The combat thefore quickly boils down to attacking the heartless that allows you to trigger it and basically wipe the screen with the attack. The attractions themselves are fun once or twice, but they're so overpowered that they rapidly become a bore. There is no skill in using them either, you're just mindlessly wrecking enemies. I guess you could just not use them, but at that point you're handicapping yourself just to try to have fun. It's also not just the attractions, link abilities and some of the other super attacks you trigger feel the same. It should be noted that because of all this the game ends up feeling quite easy on Proud.

To end on a positive note, I do like some of the tweaks. I love that you can use multiple keyblades and that they have their own abilities. I'm also glad they tuned the flowmotion stuff down so that you can't spam that wherever like in DDD. How do you guys feel so far?
I do agree with the attraction balancing issue. I think attraction and other party attacks seems a bit too OP at the moment in terms of damage output compared to Sora's regular moves. I do enjoy it because it's fun to do flashy stuff very often and constantly, but I do wish they would balance it out little bit. Like reduce the attraction and party attack's damage output would be nice.

It would also be nice to give option to set which attraction you can turn off from appearing. I know you can choose not to use them but in the heat of battle I accidentally trigger attractions that I don't really want to trigger (like Pirate ship)
But I do enjoy many of the attractions themselves. So far I really like the tea cup, splash ride and merry-go-round.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one not feeling the soundtrack? I mean, the remixes of old themes are okay but all the new ones feel flat. Kinda reminds me of Megaman 11 soundtyrck.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one not feeling the soundtrack? I mean, the remixes of old themes are okay but all the new ones feel flat. Kinda reminds me of Megaman 11 soundtyrck.

Considering a ton of tracks were made by Ishimoto, Sekito, and Suzuki, I'm sure one's mileage will vary on how they feel about the OST. The new Shimomura tracks are the standouts.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Considering a ton of tracks were made by Ishimoto, Sekito, and Suzuki, I'm sure one's mileage will vary on how they feel about the OST. The new Shimomura tracks are the standouts.

Yes, I am looking forward to the Shimomura tracks. The rest, however, lack that whimsical and energetic touch that made you go "let's kick some ass".