• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get more FFIX characters.

It was awesome seeing Vivi, but Zidane needs to make an appearance.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
It's crazy that this is actually happening.

Felt like 3 would release a couple years after 2, then a couple years after Birth by Sleep, then Dream Drop happened and really set the scene, and we still had to wait seven years.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy that this is actually happening.

Felt like 3 would release a couple years after 2, then a couple years after Birth by Sleep, then Dream Drop happened and really set the scene, and we still had to wait seven years.
I still remember when Nomura said KH3 wouldn't happen until the KH2 team finished working on Versus XIII. (At least, I think I remember him saying that?) I wonder what the series would have looked like if that original plan actually worked out. Not only would KH3 have been developed by a different team, but games like Dream Drop Distance may not have even existed.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I planned my weekend as if the game comes out the 25th... but it is the 29th? I have it on BestBuy preorder delivery.

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
I still remember when Nomura said KH3 wouldn't happen until the KH2 team finished working on Versus XIII. (At least, I think I remember him saying that?) I wonder what the series would have looked like if that original plan actually worked out. Not only would KH3 have been developed by a different team, but games like Dream Drop Distance may not have even existed.

That would be the best timeline.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got in on the Amazon $40 pre-order bug in early 2015. I can't believe I'm actually about to get that order soon.

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Trying to get a countdown for Japan but the second app site that we use doesn't support JST, anyone have any ideas?

Oct 30, 2017
Everytime my phone notifies me of an email I get antsy hoping it's a shipping confirmation from Square. My disappointment when it's not is immeasurably high.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it would. I think every handheld game aside from BBS has been terrible. (Didn't play Chain of Memories on GBA so can't comment on that one.)

Anyway, Very has dispatched my copy today. Got an email from them. So hopefully I have it in a couple days. I feel pretty good about either Saturday or Monday, although don't mind release day either frankly. (Gonna be busy with RE2 this weekend.) It's usually a 2-3 day thing with them. I hope it's about a 20-25 hour affair at most. My nephew wants to play it too, so I'll probably make quick work of it rather than buying him another copy.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I think it's pretty clear DDD wasn't originally planned, and was quickly thrown together because they needed a new game.

Versus XIII and Birth by Sleep would have been developed at the same time by different teams, both releasing around 2010. Then the Versus team would return to KH to release KH3 by 2013-15.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Story is gonna be dumb but I'm in for the gameplay and some crazy boss battles. KH has some flashy boss battles amazing music to go with em.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be sure, this is not available in the US till Jan 29?

Why do I see people talking about Friday? Is it releasing on Friday in certain places outside of Japan?

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Monday at 9pm PST, I will be crying because KH3 will have unlocked on my PS4.

Won't be long, won't be long, I'm almost here.

tumblr_pjhipqV6M81rsgx6xo1_r1_540.gif

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, I played most of it back near release on 3DS and got stuck on the final fight against YX. I didn't care much for the game then because the story confused me and I didn't care much for the gameplay, particularly in regards to how empty and lifeless the worlds felt (even by KH standards).

But I just finished a playthrough on PS4 (Finally beat it for the first time!), and I really liked it this time. The story sort of just clicked for me finally, and while I still don't care for the worlds aside from TWTNW, the combat felt really nice, between flowmotion and the BBS command system. I still miss abilities being tied to commands rather than Dream Eaters, but I get that they had to flesh out the DE's somehow.

Lots of good moments in the story though, even if it's pretty much all in the back half. Sora seeing Terra and Aqua in Riku and Kairi, Ansem's presence on the Destiny Islands back in KH1 being used as the reason the MoM exam was able to be hijacked, Lea showing up to save Sora, Riku seeing Roxas/Ven/Xion... I just really liked a lot of it.

I'm glad my opinion on the game turned around.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I'm perched, the wait is almost over... gotta change my avatar for this momentous occasion

Great OP btw, but the DDD hate in these comments has gotta go, I'm disgusted

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
DDD is not good. I played that game on release and I will never touch it again.

predicted this exact reply before opening it almost word for word lmao... I was mostly being facetious. It's perfectly decent for a handheld "spinoff" but people act like it's some kind of abomination, whatever

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So, I really liked KH1 and 2, and then thought BBS was okay (never liked the PSP controls tbh, it cramps up my hands). I don't think I've liked a single handheld KH game. They either have some mechanic I hate, or I feel the difficulty is tuned all wrong (I find all of them WAY too damn hard for some reason). Don't think I've finished a single one.

Wasn't sure I was going to play KH3, but MAN, I played through 2.8 and LOVED it. Now I guess I gotta pick up KH3!

Feb 4, 2018
Are y'all gonna unlock the secret ending yourself or just watch it the second it goes up on YouTube?? I have traditionally done the latter but might actually not watch it until I unlock it.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Dream Drop Distance has Symphony of Sorcery though - one of the best worlds in the series.

Shame Hunchback and Tron are so meh because the followup worlds are really good.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Are y'all gonna unlock the secret ending yourself or just watch it the second it goes up on YouTube?? I have traditionally done the latter but might actually not watch it until I unlock it.

The next UX story update releases on the same day as the secret ending patch, so I'm really suspicious that the two may be related in some way. If I hear scuttlebutt that they are, then I'll cave and watch it online. If not, then I can wait until I unlock it myself.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017

I used to do this with the originals. However, with 1.5 and 2.5 I played every title on Critical and completed it for a fresh experience. It happens to also make getting Secret Endings as "simple" as completing the game! So, I think I will try to play the game in Critical yet again to get an easy Secret Ending and (hopefully) a fulfilling combat experience.

Feb 4, 2018
I'll give it a shot, fail and youtube it
Lol I really feel you.
The next UX story update releases on the same day as the secret ending patch, so I'm really suspicious that the two may be related in some way. If I hear scuttlebutt that they are, then I'll cave and watch it online. If not, then I can wait until I unlock it myself.
This is a good point. If they're related, I wonder which one we're supposed to watch first or if it matters.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
predicted this exact reply before opening it almost word for word lmao... I was mostly being facetious. It's perfectly decent for a handheld "spinoff" but people act like it's some kind of abomination, whatever

DDD is god awful. When I originally breezed through it on normal I thought it was okay, not particularly great and the dual story system didn't work well for the Disney worlds, but not really worthy of vitriol. Then I played it on critical, where flaws are made a lot more obvious because they have a much larger effect, and realized it is a never ending stream of terrible design decisions. Flow motion is annoying. Dream Eaters are dumb. The level design is terrible. Half the bosses are terrible designed and cheap. The command structure is half broken. It's like they took everything in BBS, which was great, and broke it. Bleh...

Feb 4, 2018
Box photos are my favorite part about release hype. They're so satisfying.

I used to do this with the originals. However, with 1.5 and 2.5 I played every title on Critical and completed it for a fresh experience. It happens to also make getting Secret Endings as "simple" as completing the game! So, I think I will try to play the game in Critical yet again to get an easy Secret Ending and (hopefully) a fulfilling combat experience.
I have mad respect for anyone who beats the game on Critical, especially to start. I generally do my first run on Proud, then start a Critical save and never finish it lol.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
DDD is god awful. When I originally breezed through it on normal I thought it was okay, not particularly great and the dual story system didn't work well for the Disney worlds, but not really worthy of vitriol. Then I played it on critical, where flaws are made a lot more obvious because they have a much larger effect, and realized it is a never ending stream of terrible design decisions. Flow motion is annoying. Dream Eaters are dumb. The level design is terrible. Half the bosses are terrible designed and cheap. The command structure is half broken. It's like they took everything in BBS, which was great, and broke it. Bleh...

ok................ I still like it

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

From what I understand from the leaks, critical isn't unlocked until you finish the game once on another mode, just like DDD and .2. :(

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably just YouTube it. I want to finish the main story ASAP before it gets spoiled for me, so I plan to play on the normal difficulty first, which typically makes unlocking the secret ending a ton of annoying work.

If the requirements for the ending get released before I start playing (which I doubt), and Proud looks like it'll be easy to unlock on, then I'll just play on that and experience the secret ending myself. But otherwise, I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Feb 4, 2018
I'll probably just YouTube it. I want to finish the main story ASAP before it gets spoiled for me, so I plan to play on the normal difficulty first, which typically makes unlocking the secret ending a ton of annoying work.

If the requirements for the ending get released before I start playing (which I doubt), and Proud looks like it'll be easy to unlock on, then I'll just play on that and experience the secret ending myself. But otherwise, I'm not going to worry about it too much.
Yeah, it might be hard to avoid the secret ending itself getting spoiled too once the day 1 patch hits. :( If it's not a quick unlock then it might not be worth the risk.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I only got past Traverse Town in DDD before I gave up on it. The combat wasn't satisfying, the rewards were unexciting, the medal upgrade mechanic was tedious, and the plot was messy and boring. I'm a little sad that I never got to experience Symphony of Sorcery, but I just have no desire and time to give the game another shot. Oh well.