• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I was 11 years old when I asked another 11-year-old, "Is Pluto, like, Goofy's... son?", to which the other 11-year-old replied, "Is Minnie Mouse Pluto's... mom?" Imagine if these two 11-year-olds had stood there on that basketball court in 1991, and continued that conversation uninterrupted for 28 years. That is Kingdom Hearts.

LOL

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Wait. Shit. I feel like him confusing KH3 being made by the original KH Team instead of the Osaka team which has taken over after BBS is baiting me as a diehard fan like Part 1 mentions.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
I was 11 years old when I asked another 11-year-old, "Is Pluto, like, Goofy's... son?", to which the other 11-year-old replied, "Is Minnie Mouse Pluto's... mom?" Imagine if these two 11-year-olds had stood there on that basketball court in 1991, and continued that conversation uninterrupted for 28 years. That is Kingdom Hearts.

LOL
Haha, I actually just came here to post that exact quote. I don't care for these games but a lot of my friends love them. This video was kinda alright. People responding literally to the title of the video, I mean, c'mon son.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LOL

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Great video!

I wouldn't necessarily call it a joke video or a satire, though. I would say it's pretty clearly a heartfelt love letter to the series, an ode if you will. Just expressed in a sarcastic way as the series demands. It's about embracing the fan fiction element of the series, and appreciating the series for its immensity and uniqueness.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Another great video after the DQXI one.

Happily going in only having played 1 and 2. But yeah, we would all be a bit better off if we didn't worry too much about reviews for games we were going to buy anyway.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this earlier today. Thought it was pretty funny, and I'm actually tempted to jump in on KH III without a grasp of everything. It might make it fun and give me inspiration to go back and fully play the older games. Love Time Rogers vids, something about his humor just clicks with me.

Also... lol at all the people in the thread writing their hot takes on the title or without watching the video... at least take a second to comprehend what's actually being proposed.

I got click baited. It's reviewable, the video is just making jokes and fishing for clicks. Kotaku huh?

...what am I reading

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
lol @ all the posts at the start of the thread from people simply commenting on the title without actually watching the video.

In the end, review scores for a series like Kingdom Hearts don't even matter; the fans of the series will buy KH3 regardless.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tim Rogers is one of the best critics out there. I enjoy everything he puts out and as someone who is also reviewing KH3 I found this video hilarious. Stay winning Tim.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a load of pretentious wank.

It's an action RPG with Disney and anime bollocks. Nothing that makes it unreviewable.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the end, review scores for a series like Kingdom Hearts don't even matter; the fans of the series will buy KH3 regardless.

Will they though?

I was a huge, huge fan of Kingdom hearts, mostly because I had a big crush on Kairi. This was because I was a teenager at the time, hormones were flowing and a lot of people know how it is.

However I'm no longer a teenager and I'm certainly not playing this because of the story, or to see how Sora saves the day because "love" or some bullshit. I at least want to know the game isn't an unplayable mess, as per other games in the series have tended to be, albeit on the mobile platforms.

So I think reviews are important and I'll be interested to see what they have made of it all.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I at least want to know the game isn't an unplayable mess, as per other games in the series have tended to be, albeit on the mobile platforms.
Wat?

I know some of the handheld titles were better than others, but I wouldn't say any of them were unplayable messes.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Ok it took me 3 watches but I think I get the message now.

Still think the people that need to hear this the most are going to have the jokes fly over their heads.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I see the point. It's not that you can't write a review, it's that what it's even going to mean? Is a fan not going to buy them after this long because of any amount of reviews?

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the amount of people taking the subject at face value and not putting a single second into watching the video is staggering

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
That feeling when you know that an article was written by tim rogers from the name of the article alone.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
"Kingdom Hearts strutted into my life astride a Shetland pony, and so I aimed low and scored a direct hit."

giphy.gif

feelthesurge

Nov 15, 2017
I've been with this series since I was 8 or 9 years old and I can't believe that Kingdom Hearts 3 is actually coming out in just a matter of days now. It sucks that some KH fans have ruined it for a lot of people, both newcomers and long time fans. I just hope everyone who does play it can enjoy it even if they might not understand everything!

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"This game is unreviewable. Update: I've been asked to review this game."

I feel bad for this guy. He sort of dunked on himself.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
lol @ people only reading the title.

I've never played any Kingdom Hearts games and this video made me want to play Kingdom Hearts 3.
Tim Rogers videos are amazing!

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Finally watched it. His commentary on the series' "fanfiction" criticism certainly had me second-guessing my own critique -- been reviewing the series on my blog over the past year and definitely described the concept as fanfictional more than once.

"This game is unreviewable. Update: I've been asked to review this game."

I feel bad for this guy. He sort of dunked on himself.

Holy wow, how did I miss this?

Note: Between my making this video and my posting it on Kotaku, a situation arose which requires me to write Kotaku's review of Kingdom Hearts III. I promise I did not orchestrate this, though I must admit I find it a hilariously shocking plot twist worthy of a Kingdom Hearts game. The sentiments I expressed in this video remain sincere in spite of this recent development. In fact, it perfectly feels like I've challenged myself. Please, then, consider this video Episode 0.6 of Kingdom Hearts III: The Kotaku Review.