• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

15 years ago today #KingdomHearts II first launched.

We'll never forget the final days of Roxas' summer vacation, visiting incredible Disney worlds, Organization XIII, The Battle of 1000 Heartless & King Mickey joining the fight!

Happy holidays from the Kingdom Hearts team! https://t.co/oqnkwNysTH

Final Mix might be the best but I still loved vanilla KH2 when it came out

Here's the earliest trailer that I remember from E3 2004

TGS 2005 trailer

Passion is still a great opening

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Played this at launch, IMO was the perfect followup to end the KH saga had it stopped there. KH -> CoM -> KH2

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We have thread titles like this for games all the time but for some reason this one actually hit me and made me feel old lol.

I remember downloading a tiny-ass compressed video file of the opening and watching it over and over.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I remember being so hyped for this and buying it on day one but then being very confused because I had no idea what was going on and then learning that because I didn't play a GBA spinoff, I missed a lot.

Little did I know at the time that Square Enix wanted me to own every god damn console and handheld known to man to get the complete story

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
Ooh, maybe I'll have to redownload 2.5 and play II for a few hours. Was actually the first KH game I ever played/beat lol. Then went back and played the original. The series has a lot of issues, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have nostalgia for it.

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome. Still one of my favorites of all time. It's one thing when we're talking about old turn based jrpgs, since those only get more and more rare, but action RPGs are coming out all the time, and hardly any games are as good as this one. Or at least the Final Mix version.

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like it when it came out.

Years later I played the Final Mix version on Critical Mode and it's still one of the best games ever made.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
God, KH2 is really the best of the series. It just feels like a big finale

hell, if you look at 1, chains of memories, and 2 as a trilogy, you'd be left satisfied

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts and Yakuza are the two series in where I own every entry in their series, but have yet to start. Guess I know what I'm doing this winter break.

Dec 21, 2017
The GOAT.

So, so, SO good.

I'd rebuy KH2 on PS5. I have the PS4 versions, but knowing square, they'd find some way to polish the hell out of it to make it worth full price again, and i'd be a sucker for it.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Hard to believe it's been that long. This games oozes the 2000's with the original character designs.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I didn't play Kh2 until I was in 8th grade in 2009 I think. I remember when I first played it. Hearing Utada singing Ha-Ha-aa-aaa-aaa when the game first boots up made me so freaking happy

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Happy birthday to the greatest action RPG of all time's little brother (big bro being KH2 Final Mix)

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
One of my favourite games of all time. Still the best in the series but 3 isn't too far behind.

I agree they should've ended the series (or just Sora's storyline) there.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
My absolute favorite game of all time fuck I love this game. Also wow I was fuckin 12 when this came out holy shit. 15 god damn years wow.

Edit: Fuck im getting emotional lmao.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
I think I never felt so much hype with a game, still one of my games of all time. Such a emotional and everlasting journey, it was the first game that made me cry and I remember being obsessed with it

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This was the trailer I remember seeing and kept replaying.

I remember my whole thought process in this trailer. "This music is awesome. Who the hell is that guy and how can he hold TWO Keyblades? Sora's new clothes are so cool!"

Everyone was down on the Roxas intro, but I loved it every time I played it. The opening cinematic was cool as hell, and I loved how they matched Sora's Dive to the Heart from the first game with Roxas' from this game. The way it established Dive to the Heart as a place all Keyblade wielders went (or something like that) was pretty cool.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably my most hyped game of all time, following that teaser at the end of the first. I hunted for scans day in and out for scraps of info on fansites. Reading theories and such about BHK. It's an incredible game, and you don't need final mix or critical for it be great.

But it's true that the stuff added on final mix makes it even better. One of the best fighting OSTs to grace a game. So many tracks and all of them so, so good. Fighting XIII members, playing as Mickey and generally the bosses are highlights.

Choice of worlds was great, too. What a great game, fuck.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite Games ever. So many good memories. KH3 disappointed me so much in comparison ....

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
My gf bought me a ps2 and this game for Valentines Day. We've now been married 13 years. What a wild way to keep time.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my most hyped game of all time, following that teaser at the end of the first. I hunted for scans day in and out for scraps of info on fansites. Reading theories and such about BHK. It's an incredible game, and you don't need final mix or critical for it be great.

But it's true that the stuff added on final mix makes it even better. One of the best fighting OSTs to grace a game. So many tracks and all of them so, so good. Fighting XIII members, playing as Mickey and generally the bosses are highlights.

Choice of worlds was great, too. What a great game, fuck.
Damn.

BHK, now that brings me back.

May 10, 2018
To this day, KH2 is the only game I ever physically preordered which I didn't even have to do in the small town I grew up in.

i remember browsing KH Insider a lot in the lead up to it.

Roxas aka BHK and all that stuff.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked this game so much that when I got halfway of it I started a new game so it would lasts longer lol

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I loved it and thought it was such an improvement over 1. It was a technical marvel for a ps2 game also. The world selection was also full of nice and unexpected surprises.
Just finished 3 a few days ago and this series is really something special.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
HYPER.png

IN YOOOOOOOOOOU AND IIIIIIIII
THERE'S A NEW LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Went back to it a week ago to do post game stuff, currently 6/13 data bosses beaten! It's honestly an amazing game

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing the commercial for it and being blown away in amazement. I'd go on the pre-release website for the game and check every week for the new shit they'd add to it (and if the coming soon orange bubble would ever be replaced with content)

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I went to great lengths to import the final mix version, first time i did that for a game ever.
I loved the vanilla game so much during the ps2 era, i had this bittersweet feeling during the entire game and especially with the ending.
1,2 and Birth by Sleep were my holy trinity but i couldn't keep track with the franchise after that and i lost interest.
I could simply buy the last compilation and 3 right now but i just don't care anymore, i guess i'm way past my KH phase now haha.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first game that I got myself hyped for, and I was ten at the time, so I didn't even know about the word hype. Me and my friend in elementary used to print out pictures and put them in journals. I would spend days drawing Sora, Donald, and Goofy. Me and my friend would just talk about who BHK (Roxas) can be during recess. Then I got the game and played it non stop.

Oct 28, 2017
Awful opening hours. Gets pretty cool once the Disney starts. I much prefer the level design of KH1 and the bigger platforming/exploration focus. But the world choices are great and every now and then there's something to put a beaming smile on my face. The biggest being the singing in The Little Mermaid world. Singing Part of Your World was incredible.