• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Have you gotten the platinum in any Kingdom Hearts games?

• Yes! All of them!

Votes: 42 7.6%
  • I got a few. Or one.

Votes: 143 25.8%
  • No, but I got all the Secret Endings.

Votes: 115 20.8%
  • LOL.

Votes: 254 45.8%

• Total voters

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
almost done with KH1 plat trophy, all i need to do now it just extra play though throphies and i'm ready to move on to CoM

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I'm about to beat Re:CoM HD, just need to go through the 13th floor and I'll have finished Sora's side. Looked up some boss battle guide on GameFAQs just in case. Realized I've been playing the game wrong-ish this whole time? I've got like 58 cards in my deck, and only one or two potions/ethers. I've made it so that I can easily use sleights one after another if I wanted to.

Anybody mind throwing some deck-building tips my way, maybe? I have been having trouble with the boss fights (the last Larxene boss fight frustrated me so much) and I noticed that my cards seemed to quickly run out...
Lol, I just beat Sora's story yesterday. The game isn't very good imo but it's kinda fun to just break the system and destroy all the boss fights.

As mentioned earlier, Lethal Frame is OP as fuck. Just put Stop + Attack + Attack 5 or so times followed by a few elixir cards with cures at the end if needed as well as Jafar, and watch every boss up to Marluxia die entirely effortlessly.

Marluxia will move away from you in the windup time of the attack so it'll completely miss him. So just spam Mega Flare instead! Unlocked at level 57, requires Mushu (Hollow Bastion treasure room) + 2 fire cards. Then because it's all magic cards you can save CP by using ethers instead of elixirs.

Even better when you get the Marluxia card from his first fight which makes sleights go off twice, so you can spam double mega flares against his second fight!

If you need moogle points to make a good deck just farm them in 100 acre wood. Run to rabbits house and smash all the pots then run back to the previous floor to make them all respawn.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
In my opinion at least it's probably the best enemy card in the game. It's kinda why I recommend Agrabah be the first world you complete when starting out because it's that useful and you get it really damn early on.
I'm definitely gonna check out the others now... but I think that should be enough for the meantime.
Jesus.
I'm impressed you played as far as you did. Shortcuts let you instantly scroll to a card in your deck.
Aww yeah. This idiot's mad skills got him this far without the shortcut. I'm so gonna use that now, though.
Lol, I just beat Sora's story yesterday. The game isn't very good imo but it's kinda fun to just break the system and destroy all the boss fights.

As mentioned earlier, Lethal Frame is OP as fuck. Just put Stop + Attack + Attack 5 or so times followed by a few elixir cards with cures at the end if needed as well as Jafar, and watch every boss up to Marluxia die entirely effortlessly.

Marluxia will move away from you in the windup time of the attack so it'll completely miss him. So just spam Mega Flare instead! Unlocked at level 57, requires Mushu (Hollow Bastion treasure room) + 2 fire cards. Then because it's all magic cards you can save CP by using ethers instead of elixirs.

Even better when you get the Marluxia card from his first fight which makes sleights go off twice, so you can spam double mega flares against his second fight!

If you need moogle points to make a good deck just farm them in 100 acre wood. Run to rabbits house and smash all the pots then run back to the previous floor to make them all respawn.
I personally love the game, especially the battle system. I enjoyed it on the GBA (my first KH game, actually) and I'm enjoying it even more on the PS3.

I never bothered with trying to break the game and whatnot, though. I default to just playing normally and trying to keep things as fair as possible while still having a lot of fun. It would be fun to break things, though. Too bad I'm already on the 13th floor. I've got Mega Flare, thankfully, so I'll throw a couple of that in for the boss fight with Marluxia. Thanks! Double Mega Flares, though? Holy crap, I am gonna use that. Oh man, double Sonic Blades would be sick too.

Thanks for the Moogle Points tip too! I think I've got a decent amount right now, but I'll do that if I run out.

---

It would probably be a smart idea for me to pop in her and ask for some tips again when I begin playing Birth by Sleep HD... I'm gonna be a little pissed at myself if there was a shortcut there too, because I played the game (all three characters) at least twice, one of which was in Japanese. I managed fine, but having a shortcut in my Japanese playthrough would have helped a ton.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It would probably be a smart idea for me to pop in her and ask for some tips again when I begin playing Birth by Sleep HD... I'm gonna be a little pissed at myself if there was a shortcut there too, because I played the game (all three characters) at least twice, one of which was in Japanese. I managed fine, but having a shortcut in my Japanese playthrough would have helped a ton.

there is one BBS as well

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Man some of Riku's boss fights in CoM are whack.

Doing Ursula now and she uses a ton of 8 and 9 cards, her tentacle attacks are super quick so almost always hit you, the deck you're given doesn't really allow for any other sleight but the jumping attack which misses her completely, so you're pretty much left with random luck of whether the special card that stuns her appears or not.

Edit: And beat her, classic complain online to win strategy works every time.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
KH1 is done

fAVMwh0.jpg

i was really surprised that you didn't need to get all the gummi ship blue prints so it makes it easier thankfully enough

but god i'm not looking forward to grinding out Re:CoM plat. I don't know whats worst, card collector for Sora or Level master for Riku

Last edited:

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
KH1 is done

i was really surprised that you didn't need to get all the gummi ship blue prints so it makes it easier thankfully enough

but god i'm not looking forward to grinding out Re:CoM plat. I don't know whats worst, card collector for Sora or Level master for Riku
Grats! I am also working on Plat in 1. But currently playing some other games... Got lv 100 and the synth ones done at least and I was not looking forward to that grind.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I played through the games on PS4 for the first time. I'm amazed at how well they hold up visually. KH2 looks incredible and KH1 and CoM hold up really well.

I played the collection on PS4 Pro, and despite supporting native 4K it actually didn't have a downsampling feature for 1080p people. With the new software update on PS4 I wonder how the games look now on a Pro hooked up to a 1080p display since they just added the forced downsampling thing which basically forces the game to downsample to a 1080p display assuming it has Pro support.

Playing it on a PS4 Pro on a 1080p computer monitor and I think it looks fantastic(Both 1 and 2). But then again I'm not one to notice stuff like that.

KH cutscenes where the characters don't talk with the silly fishmouths still looks awesome to me. I will miss this artstyle in KH3.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize there was a KH community thread here! Have been meaning to play the series for a while now and with 3 coming this year decided to go ahead and get started, finished Kingdom Hearts 1 and really enjoyed it, then played Chain of Memories... really disliked that one, and now I'm on 2 and absolutely loving it, the combat system feels so much more refined and the worlds in general feel bigger. Really looking forward to 3 now.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Days on PS4 just crashed halfway through, chapter select shows everything as unseen, and when you watch the thing normally there's no option to skip scenes. Do I have to just watch it all again...?

Or can I just go through chapter select and skip everything? Like how does 'finishing' it work in regards to unlocking the theme and CoM bonuses?

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize there was a KH community thread here! Have been meaning to play the series for a while now and with 3 coming this year decided to go ahead and get started, finished Kingdom Hearts 1 and really enjoyed it, then played Chain of Memories... really disliked that one, and now I'm on 2 and absolutely loving it, the combat system feels so much more refined and the worlds in general feel bigger. Really looking forward to 3 now.

CoM is the worst game in the series, so you're in the clear now.

One really useful thing in KH2 that I don't think the game actually tells you about is that the Drive gauge fills up faster when your MP is recharging. So don't bother saving your magic or Drives, use them pretty much whenever you can.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Found this old gem from 2015. Such high quality coverage back then from GameInformer.

CMk11jZUYAAJNjh.png:large
that sure doesn't look like Twilight Town to me

how can anyone fuck this up. Only thing I can assume is that the writer has never really played any KH games.

KH1 is done

a small part of me was debating plating these games on PS3, but then I saw that for the PS3 trophy list of KH1 you actually have to collect all the blueprints which didn't exactly sound fun lol.

CoM is rough, but the grind is real for that game. The last big thing I need to do for the CoM plat is Level Master Riku (currently at level 73). Once I'm done with CoM I'm probably should to do KH2 to next. Can't wait to finally replay that.

Last edited:

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It's always nice when the Playstation Official Magazine opens a cover story on Kingdom Hearts with "The long-awaited Kingdom Hearts III is finally going to land in your sticky mitts – and it'll happen this year."

I mean, still no release date but they're comfortable giving a cover story to this game and have confidence in printing that it's coming in 2018. Gives me hope.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be cool for KH3 to get a cover story in GameInformer. Though I'd imagine Square would reserve that for Tomb Raider since that's coming this year.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Is it unusual for a developer to only have one if their games as a cover story on a certain magazine? Tomb Raider could have a cover story anywhere from May - September, either as a preview story or for the final release.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it unusual for a developer to only have one if their games as a cover story on a certain magazine? Tomb Raider could have a cover story anywhere from May - September, either as a preview story or for the final release.

I'm just thinking about what other pubs/devs want their games on a cover which could lead to some stiff competition. It becomes a question of can Square get on there multiple times.

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
All the talk of CoM recently has made me go back and start working on wrapping up my plat run. Riku was at level 72 last I stopped and just got him up to 76. Should probably be able to get him to level 80 today, but I don't want to imagine how long the grind from 80 to 99 is going to be.

The worst thing about Riku is that there really isn't much in the way of an efficient way to grind. Best thing you can do is use the warp card and leave at least 1 enemy in each encounter alive so you don't have to keep opening up rooms, but outside of that there isn't really much else you can do. While Sora level 99 grinding was somewhat long mega flairs were an incredibly good strat for it.

Oct 25, 2017
We been talking about com for like two pages making my hair stand up Xp.
Let's talk about the superior(in gameplay and story don't @ me let it rock)
Kh Dream drop distance

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Been trying to get the Platinum Trophy in KH1 Final Mix now and I feel like the 60fps gameplay makes Proud feel easier than I remember?

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
We been talking about com for like two pages making my hair stand up Xp.
Let's talk about the superior(in gameplay and story don't @ me let it rock)
Kh Dream drop distance
You know... It's been about two weeks since I finished 3D and got done with my KH marathon, which took me two weeks in total. And the more I think about it 3D is in many ways my favorit KH game. I love the worlds (though I have to note that I never used the flow system to traverse if I didn't have to because I quickly learned that it was broken) and some of the music tracks are great. I also love the fact that I get to play as Riku! The combat system is also really nice and the game was actully somewhat hard on proud (so looking forward to critical). My overall favorite is KH2 and I prefer the story in BBS over 3D but... 3D is my second favorite overall but with the best gameplay and worlds.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I can criticize 3D a whole lot more than just broken platforming and 3rd act story dump.

Still, I had a decent enough time with the HD version. Certainly a big upgrade over the OG 3DS experience I had, without the frankenstick.

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I enjoyed dream drop a lot for its story. I also enjoyed it's gameplay but the flow motion stuff got really annoying after a while.

I felt like I couldn't move without accidentally activating flow motion. On paper it's an awesome concept but was poorly implemented in practice I feel. Hopefully it's better implemented in KH3, although tbh I really hope they have an option to disable it assuming it will still get in my way like it did in DDD.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
3D is a great game people overcriticize because of the platforming being broken (which was probably on purpose?) and them cramming all the important story in the third act. Like every other game in the franchise.

I can list few more issues I had with 3D:

1. The framerate was pretty awful in lot of places, including lot of bosses. At least the HD version fixed that.
2. The game balance was badly broken. You don't create a game with command deck, when an early game command breaks the game immediately.
3. The game continues to have issue with bland, lifeless evironments. Even more so with the areas being lot bigger in this game compared to BBS.
4. The way the game more or less forces you to spam dream eater minigames just to obtain abilities and commands was pretty bad.

I didn't even mind platforming being broken, flowmotion was pretty fun.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
The infodump is my only real issue with DDD. I don't dislike the story there, I just think there's way too much to keep track of in so little time.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing DDD for the first time on PS4, (just got to the 4th world) I'm really enjoying it. I like it more than BBS so far, tbh. Flowmotion is fun addition and the slight unpredictability of it isn't bothering me, though I'm pretty forgiving with that kind of stuff in games. Playing as Riku in a game that is not CoM is G R E A T, have they confirmed if he'll be playable in KHIII or did I imagine that?

if only I got to smack Frollo around before leaving that world, god he's such a creep. I'm hoping the sorcerer's apprentice Mickey appearance in the opening pays off with a proper Fantasia level

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
There's a second playable character in KH3. We haven't been told who it is. Given that DDD has such a heavy Riku focus, and it's the last full game before KH3, I kind of doubt he'll be playable again.

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The infodump is my only real issue with DDD. I don't dislike the story there, I just think there's way too much to keep track of in so little time.
Yeah I think from a story standpoint the game does kinda just dump everything at the end, I think that's kinda what I like about the game though.

Every single cutscenes in the game involving the organization makes you question if what you did in the past games actually happened or not.

Leading up to the end the game I was pretty much in a constant state of "why the fuck is xemnas still alive and how the fuck is Ansem here." And then the game ends with a mind fuck and setting the stage for KH3.

In my opinion at least DDD served as a great prologue to KH3 as it really only answered how the organization members are back and what their actual purpose it. The game makes you ask more questions then it gives you answers which I kinda feel is what a prologue is supposed to do.
/SPOILER]

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I think Riku will be the playable character I just think he will have very linear gameplay sections. Think Ciri gameplay in Witcher 3.

I doubt the drop system from DDD is going to come back.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
The main reason I doubt Riku is going to be playable in KH3 is because Nomura said that DDD was Riku's game. Sora wasn't even planned to be playable originally. It would just seem odd to me to have him be the only playable character besides Sora yet again in KH3.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
oh yeah I mean I like the drop system in DDD but I don't want that system in KHIII or anything, I just like how Riku feels in combat. It's Sora's story, after all (except for the times... when it isn't lol). A linear chunk as Riku would be sweet, though, they didn't give him that carkeyblade for nothing, I want to try that thing out! but w/e it's probably time for it to be someone else's turn. Playable Kairi is the dream that will never die

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Kairi seems like the obvious choice. Her being there in DDD's secret ending as a twist makes it really look like she's going to be pretty important.

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Honestly I think your either playing as Riku, or your playing as one (or maybe all 3) of the characters from BBS. The reason why I say Riku is probably going to be playable is because there was this theory video on Youtube and the guy basically quoted an official Square Enix Press Release that gave the general idea as to what Riku and Sora are going to be up to in KH3

Basically Riku will be tasked with finding the other keyblade wielders which I imagine will entail finding Aqua and saving Terra. Based off the last trailer where you see a glimpse of Riku and King Mickey in the Dark Margin which gives me the impression that they're looking for Aqua.

So to me at least it sounds like Riku makes the most sense to have as a playable second character since he will have a substantial role in the game's story. Maybe you'll also get to play as Aqua as well, but honestly as someone who hasn't played 0.2 yet it still pisses me off that 0.2 wasn't the prologue for KH3.

I think it would have been such an awesome way to start the game with a character we haven't seen in a very long time.

OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
I can list few more issues I had with 3D:

1. The framerate was pretty awful in lot of places, including lot of bosses. At least the HD version fixed that.
2. The game balance was badly broken. You don't create a game with command deck, when an early game command breaks the game immediately.
3. The game continues to have issue with bland, lifeless evironments. Even more so with the areas being lot bigger in this game compared to BBS.
4. The way the game more or less forces you to spam dream eater minigames just to obtain abilities and commands was pretty bad.

I didn't even mind platforming being broken, flowmotion was pretty fun.
1 is a consequence of the platform. 2-4 aren't exclusive to 3D.