• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Looks like the leaked store listings for the 18th from last week were correct. Game just went up for sale on the New Zealand Xbox store 10 minutes ago. Will drop as each region ticks over to the 18th.

Wonder why exactly they would shadow drop this out of the blue with zero marketing or even an announcement that it was coming so soon. Feel like this would only hurt the games.

New Zealand store listings for 1.5 + 2.5 and 2.8.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
So last week the store pages went up on Xbox.com for the Kingdom Hearts collections with a release date of 17th / 18th (depending on region), but were quickly taken down. It seems they are indeed releasing today and tomorrow, as it's now available for purchase in New Zealand. Kind of odd shadow drop without any word from either Square Enix nor Xbox.

Reddit link

Edit: Beaten it seems

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Happy that more people get to experience Kingdom Hearts. Hope y'all enjoy them :D

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
really interested to see the footage coming out of these version

like what did they do with all the flashing triangles from KH2 onwards

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Did the PS4 collection have any Pro enhancements? I played it ages ago but can't remember if it was on my Pro or base.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
>SE: Shadow Drop with no Marketing.
>Collections sell bad because no marketing.
>SE: S-s-see these games don't sell on other platforms, what's the point of porting?

Will definitely buy when the US page is up. KH in 4K sounds too good to pass up on

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I have this on PS4 and have been contemplating starting it. Not sure if I should hold off to see if the whole lot comes to PC.

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Did the PS4 collection have any Pro enhancements? I played it ages ago but can't remember if it was on my Pro or base.
The games were 4K on the Pro as well except 2.8 which was 1080p/Unlocked vs the 900p/30FPS on base PS4. REALLY curious what 2.8 will be like on X.
>SE: S-s-see these games don't sell on other platforms, what's the point of porting?

Will definitely buy when the US page is up. KH in 4K sounds too good to pass up on
I didn't want to be the one to say it but this is really how I feel. It's almost like they're purposefully trying to make this do as worse as possible. Not even a social media post about it. Such a shame.
So last week the store pages went up on Xbox.com for the Kingdom Hearts collections with a release date of 17th / 18th (depending on region), but were quickly taken down. It seems they are indeed releasing today and tomorrow, as it's now available for purchase in New Zealand. Kind of odd shadow drop without any word from either Square Enix nor Xbox.

Reddit link

Edit: Beaten it seems
Credit where credit is due I wouldn't have known they were available yet if not for you! Haha, I wasn't going to check for another hour when its out here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have them on ps4 but having them if 4k would be nice as I only have a base ps4 and never played them

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't they give us a heads up? They're just going to drop this on the store like that?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so typical, really. They ignore Xbox for the franchise's whole run. Release a long awaited 3rd game that is impossible to understand without playing the other games, while the recently released collections don't even come to Xbox. A year after 3 they finally arrive, but with 0 marketing and a shadowdrop you could only really know in advance because 1) they mentioned they were coming to Xbox during 2020 and 2) because a leak from the store arrived a couple days back. So they'll look at data, see it probably sold like 10% of what it did on PS4, and walk away like "see? Xbox fans don't fuck with KH". It would have been enough to simply not fragment the releases like this, but it is what is.

Happy to finally have them on Xbox One, 3 was the first game in the franchise I played properly and it was pretty solid, much more than I expected. I'll probably check these out down the line.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have fun guys, you get the see the franchise start out wonderfully simple and then slowly devolve into madness! After all these years I still feel KH1 had the best standalone story and Kh2 had the best ending in ths franchise.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't want to be the one to say it but this is really how I feel. It's almost like they're purposefully trying to make this do as worse as possible. Not even a social media post about it. Such a shame.
There probably will be a tweet and a PR a couple of hours after the release in the US, by which point the games will be out everywhere.

But yeah, they're just dropping this with no fanfare, which isn't fair at all.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
Quite curious about the performance/resolution on the Xbox One X.

Also, did they ever fix the performance issues of KH3 on the Xbox One X? I remember the PS4 Pro version being the best performance-wise because you could lock it to 1080p which wasn't possible on the Xbox One X.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Are they coming to game pass at any point? From everything Ive heard from multiple hours of Waypoint podcasts the stories are just straight up made up trash*....but I'd be interested to try out the actual gaming parts.

*I know this seems harsh but i've genuinely listened to hours of people explain, and discuss, the story and it just sounds pointlessley over-complicated and terrible. It's like the main writers NEVER want a conclusion so they just add "but what if..!?" twists in every next release...

The story has mutliple "stacked" characters where they have different names, split into pieces, travel in time etc....and still no-one has explained what a kingdom heart is, or really what the difference between a nobody, soul, heart and heartless is.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Also, did they ever fix the performance issues of KH3 on the Xbox One X? I remember the PS4 Pro version being the best performance-wise because you could lock it to 1080p which wasn't possible on the Xbox One X.
It has to do with setting the PS4 Pro to output at 1080p and turning off supersampling, so it runs the base PS4 version at close to locked 60fps. I don't think you can toggle supersampling off on X?
Are they coming to game pass at any point? From everything Ive heard from multiple hours of Waypoint podcasts the stories are just straight up made up trash*....but I'd be interested to try out the actual gaming parts.

*I know this seems harsh but i've genuinely listened to hours of people explain, and discuss, the story and it just sounds pointlessley over-complicated and terrible. It's like the main writers NEVER want a conclusion so they just add "but what if..!?" twists in every next release...

The story has mutliple "stacked" characters where they have different names, split into pieces, travel in time etc....and still no-one has explained what a kingdom heart is, or really what the difference between a nobody, soul, heart and heartless is.
It's convoluted as hell, but it all makes sense when you play the games which is kind of an achievement in and of itself. The first game has a pretty good, simple story too.

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

No they didn't, I was really hoping with the ReMind patch they would add a dynamic resolution and TAA so we could get a locked 60 and less jaggies but they didn't touch any of that on either platform. So disappointing. At least later this year I'll be able to replay it on Series X at a most likely solid 60.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
for some reason I thought this would come day-one to XGP. Guess Im confusing with the Yakuza games

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for some reason I thought this would come day-one to XGP. Guess Im thinking of the Yakuza games then

They confirmed the Yakuza games and the various Final Fantasy titles to appear on Game Pass throughout the year. They were a bit ambigous with Kingdom Hearts but they never claimed it was coming to Game Pass. Would have came in handy for sure.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
for some reason I thought this would come day-one to XGP. Guess Im confusing with the Yakuza games

I think a lot were confused with this release and the announcement of Yakuza and Final Fantasy games, that ARE coming to XGP. They later confirmed that Kingdom Hearts would not be on the service, at least not day one.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a weird release for a big franchise.
Feels like a catch-22 if they're gonna blame sales on a stealth release

I think Square are gearing up for streaming, get their repository of games on xbox market place and let xcloud/azure do its magic. Future proofing their portfolio.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
Wow, with zero announcements anywhere? Its nonsense even for S-E. It seems like is available in New Zealand but, can we buy it in other regions too and what is the price?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, with zero announcements anywhere? Its nonsense even for S-E. It seems like is available in New Zealand but, can we buy it in other regions too and what is the price?
It's only out in New Zealand at the moment. In 15 minutes, it'll be out in Australia.

Square Enix should make the announcement after it releases in the US, which is ridiculous because they should preempt all of this.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
It's like they don't even want to port their games. But we all know SE is a business and a business wants to make money so I blame it on some mild incompetency.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

It's just because NZ is ahead in time zones to other countries. Xbox games generally launch at midnight in their respective region. It'll be available everywhere else at midnight tonight.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's convoluted as hell, but it all makes sense when you play the games which is kind of an achievement in and of itself. The first game has a pretty good, simple story too.

Are you sure...? like really really sure? I normally try to be positive(ish) on forums and respectful to people etc...but I just can't believe it, sorry :-(

Maybe when playing the games there is less time to think/question some of the ideas being presented...but I just can't believe that the three main games satisfactorily explain whats going on (with the 13, zey-ha-nort, nobodies, heartless, some of the side good guys, who the master of masters is, why apprentice versions of people are different to the main versions etc)

I started listening to the re-mind Lorecast by waypoint the other day and even Natalie Watson, beater of Bloodbourne, slayer of Hollow Knights, gave up and said it was too much. 13 games in and they discover they can't respawn more than 7 people!?

That's on top of the fact that most of us are experiencing the story in English, where any translation has to lose "some" meaning and these games have been translated by different teams over a decade+.

I just can't believe that the stories actually make sense :-(

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Are you sure...? like really really sure? I normally try to be positive(ish) on forums and respectful to people etc...but I just can't believe it, sorry :-(

Maybe when playing the games there is less time to think/question some of the ideas being presented...but I just can't believe that the three main games satisfactorily explain whats going on (with the 13, zey-ha-nort, nobodies, heartless, some of the side good guys, who the master of masters is, why apprentice versions of people are different to the main versions etc)

I started listening to the re-mind Lorecast by waypoint the other day and even Natalie Watson, beater of Bloodbourne, slayer of Hollow Knights, gave up and said it was too much. 13 games in and they discover they can't respawn more than 7 people!?

That's on top of the fact that most of us are experiencing the story in English, where any translation has to lose "some" meaning and these games have been translated by different teams over a decade+.

The main games are 9:
1) Kingdom Hearts 1
2) Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
3) Kingdom Hearts 2
4) Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
5) Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
6) Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded
7) Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
8) Kingdom Hearts 0.2
9) Kingdom Hearts 3

Maxroy

Dec 5, 2019
Just launched on the Australian store.
$69.95 AUD for 1.5 + 2.5 (4 games, 2 movies)
$84.95 for 2.8 (1 game, 1 tech demo and a movie)
YIKES that's a bad deal.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Talk about little fanfare, Jesus. No release date announcement or anything.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, 1000%. It's incomprehensible on the page or when you try to summarise it, but it's very clear when actually playing since it's like 9 games. Reading the summary of literally any multi-part fantasy book series with its own terminology will produce the same effect.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If you go into the series with the mindset that it's not going to make sense BEFORE even playing the game or experiencing the story first hand, you're not going to enjoy it. The problem with Kingsom Hearts is that there is a lot of story and lore in the side games, and a ton of people think you just need to play 1, 2, and 3. Lots of people went into 3 after having only played 1 and 2 and wee rightfully lost. Is the series convoluted? Sure, most definitely. But if you actually play all the games or listen to actual story recaps, not podcasts discussing the story, then yes convoluted as it is, it does circle around and make sense

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The main games are 9:
1) Kingdom Hearts 1
2) Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
3) Kingdom Hearts 2
4) Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
5) Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
6) Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded
7) Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
8) Kingdom Hearts 0.2
9) Kingdom Hearts 3

Ah - ok - thanks - I guesstimated 13!!
Yeah, 1000%. It's incomprehensible on the page or when you try to summarise it, but it's very clear when actually playing since it's like 9 games. Reading the summary of literally any multi-part fantasy book series with its own terminology will produce the same effect.
If you go into the series with the mindset that it's not going to make sense BEFORE even playing the game or experiencing the story first hand, you're not going to enjoy it. The problem with Kingsom Hearts is that there is a lot of story and lore in the side games, and a ton of people think you just need to play 1, 2, and 3. Lots of people went into 3 after having only played 1 and 2 and wee rightfully lost. Is the series convoluted? Sure, most definitely. But if you actually play all the games or listen to actual story recaps, not podcasts discussing the story, then yes convoluted as it is, it does circle around and make sense
OK fair enough - I'll give it a shot if/when it comes to game pass. I'm not going to play all 9 though!

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Ah - ok - thanks - I guesstimated 13!!

OK fair enough - I'll give it a shot if/when it comes to game pass. I'm not going to play all 9 though!
Thankfully, 2 of those are movies and one of them is a 2-3 hour prelude. Everything else can be beaten between 20-30 hours. So yeah. It's not terrible. It's just like everyone else already said, to understand KH, just play the games and you'll be fine. Believe me, it's worth playing all of them.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah i'm holding off for PC i'm sure a steam page will pop up pretty soon.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely incredible how this is being sent out to die. It's not even on Xbox's "coming this week" page despite it already being sold

news.xbox.com

Next Week on Xbox: New Games for February 18 to 21 - Xbox Wire

Welcome to Next Week on Xbox, where we cover all the new games coming soon to Xbox One and Windows 10 PC! Every week the team at Xbox aims to deliver quality gaming content for you to enjoy on your favorite gaming console. To find out what’s coming soon to Xbox One and PC, read […]

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018

a million times this post!