• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Title

• Kingdom Hearts

Votes: 86 9.0%
  • Final Fantasy XIV

Votes: 870 91.0%

• Total voters

Chucat

Dec 11, 2020
I mean I'm not exactly a literary critic or anything, but looking at this thread. I can't exactly work out why people vehemently dislike Kingdom Hearts' story to the point of there being multiple posts by different people going "I have played several Kingdom Hearts games and I dislike it so much that this game I have not even played must have a better story."

Most of the arguments against it seem to boil down to:

- It was confusing.
- I don't care about it.
- It was presented badly.

So for whatever reason the main emotions this game seems to draw from people is confused apathy? In a series where almost every game is structured like the MCU, there's an overarching plot (the crossover films) and you go to each world and do a subplot there (the individual superhero movies). Maybe this forum thinks Ant-Man was really confusing, I don't know.

Anyway, all I can really do is talk about how the games made me feel, why I liked them, why I didn't like them and hope it brings more valid discussion than "game bad because belt man make brain hurt"

Note: Even though I played the 1.5+2.5 stuff, I'm not exactly going to defend or really talk a lot about 358/2 and Recoded. They're pretty much cliffnotes versions of the games. It'd be like judging an episode of a show based on just watching the "Previously On" segment, or asking your friend what happened and taking them going "Oh yeah so there was this guy who showed up earlier who I forgot to mention" as a damning indictment of the show.

KH1

Fifteen years ago, one of my friends phoned me up and went "Dude have you played this game called Kingdom Hearts, it's totally wack, it's got like Donald Duck and Cloud from FF7 and you summon Bambi.". I was like "That sounds fucking sick, come down to my house in a couple of days and we can play that and some Double Dash" we played the intro together and cracked up at Kairi's weird laugh during the footrace. It was a pretty chill experience, since you know, tutorial island, but he had to leave before I finished the area.

The next day I played it by myself and played it for 10 hours straight. At this point, the plot was on the level of "Something happened to my home and my friends are missing, I have to find them", I legitimately cannot think of a more simple plot, but well, I was invested. The game was fun to play, hitting things with my giant key and trying to find my friends stimulated my lizard brain, I was not bored, which is more than I can say while playing swathes of FF14. Maybe it's my ADHD, maybe the game is "not for me", who knows.

The Disney plots are fine. If you go to a world to look for your friends and you realize there's a problem, you're gonna stay there and try and help out whoever needs it. It also lets you know that this shadow cabal of evil who are sitting in a dark room and being evil are actually, you know, evil? In all honesty my fave plot was Halloween Town, something about the Disney world actually reacting in a 'realistic way' to the issue of Heartless, in this case by going "Huh, they are also weird fucked up monsters, I thus have dominion over them so let's make them have a party", is actually pretty neat.

Anyway, you eventually find out your friends are in trouble, and in ways that can't be solved by hitting them with a giant key! Riku has a terminal case of being a jerk and Kairi is comatose, oh no!

So we come to Hollow Bastion, which is probably the best part of the entire game to me. Riku pretty much humiliates you, calls you a failure, humiliates you even more, your friends ditch you and you're all alone with a literal joke weapon. This actually works? You feel bad, you feel crummy and confused, you're meant to be the chosen one but instead you're just some dumb kid getting clowned on by someone who knows more rules than you.

Beast is there though. Beast is you, he's someone whose world got fucked up who is also looking for someone he loves, unlike you, he didn't even attempt to follow any rules, he just went from world to world through sheer force of will (can I say just how fucking cool this is, I think literally the only other person who does this in the entire game is Xehanort, and Beast somehow DOESN'T go crazy while doing it). Like you though, he also fucked up, Sora helps him out because Sora is actually just a good guy. So you're just two failures trying to make things work, you want the same thing, and well, he's also taught you that rules don't matter. You spend the entire game thinking you need the Keyblade to vanquish Heartless and then Beast just eviscerates them, once again, through force of will. Maybe being a hero is actually based on that and helping out people who need it rather than some weird rule?

Spoiler: It turns out it is, isn't that cool? Sora gets his friends back, he helped people who needed it, and has the will of a hero, and now he's a hero and gets his keyblade back. Now he gets to have lots of fun.

As an aside, I'm not really sure how I feel about Donald and Goofy switching back and forth so quickly. I guess they went with Riku pretty quickly because of the King's original orders, had some 'serious thinkies' while Sora was getting his groove back, and then realized that Riku was a jerk and this Sora guy is pretty okay even if isn't the actual keyblade wielder. Maybe it can be discussed? On this board for discussion? I don't know, does someone want to? It might be fun?

Riku decides he wants to get stronger too, he thinks he should be strong, he's pretty mad since he had the Keyblade and lost it through reasons he didn't even understand. It should be his, but it's not, that's bullshit! So he pretty much accepts a deal from a Satan in order to get more powerful. He is ARROGANT and DOES SOMETHING UNWISE to get POWER, this is not a hard theme to follow! I am terminally stupid and it makes sense! Riku is now evil and strong. He talks to Maleficient who is also evil and they both basically go "Let us use the evil here to get more powerful", they just want power. Riku has lost sight of what he wants in the pursuit of power, and Maleficient is just a jerk who heads up the Council of Evil. These are simple motivations! I am not melting down!

Anyway, Sora solves the next few problems with his Keyblade. Sometimes you just gotta hit stuff I guess? Riku realizes that maybe the pursuit of power isn't really everything, and his good side and bad side fight over this. This is represented in the game by his good side and bad side literally fighting each other. Sora learns that sometimes you have to give things up to do a good thing, I mean in case it was his literal body and soul, but still, lesson learned. You also find out that this Ansem guy who was a scientist was not entirely on the level.

I wasn't expecting to write 7 paragraphs about Hollow Bastion so time to rush. Sora defeats Greek Satan, European Satan, and then gets to fight against Scientist Satan. Ansem thinks he's found the mother-lode of darkness but it turns out ironically he's the one who understands nothing. Riku has won the struggle within himself, he loves Little Brother (or heterosexual life partner, or boyfriend, make any reading you want). Mickey shows up, woo! Mickey goes away, boo! Everything is pretty okay, Kairi is safe, but Sora and friends still have to find those people they're looking for. It ends on a cute open ended cliffhanger.

So in conclusion, Kingdom Hearts is a story about trying to find your friends and what those friends mean to you and what it means to be a hero and a good person, and also thinking about things before you do them.

Anyway I wanted to write about the other games but then this one got away from me. Here's some short things I liked in the other ones.

Chain of Memories

"Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past."

What is your relationship with someone? Apart from the fleeting moment that is the present, it's the times you've spent with them, and the dreams of time you're going to spend with them, which is influenced by the times you've spent with them. So if you banged your head and forgot about your best friend, are they still your best friend? What if someone fucked with your brain and made you think you'd done all those things with someone else?

It's actually a pretty interesting philosophical question, and it's also completely and utterly terrifying to me. It's actually compelling seeing Sora get more and more unhinged as he's experiences a literal retcon in front of you. But yeah, I guess it's just "the weird card game where Sora ends up in an egg".

KH2 - Prologue

The Team decide to Gangstalk a literal child

The prologue of KH2 is probably one of the most fucked up things ever if you play it in isolation. You're a kid, you're enjoying your summer vacation and you just want to do something neat in those last few days. However your town has all these weird things happening in it. Giant spheres are flying out of walls, grey zipper monsters are appearing, time literally stops, people show up and claim to know you. Meanwhile you, the player, get to see these cloaked figures in shadow going "the experiment is proceeding as planned."

It's a game for children so you assume this will end with the kid finding out what's going on and throwing the bad guys down a laundry chute directly into a police wagon and Roxas gets to enjoy his summer vacation. Instead Roxas gets gangstalked into near insanity and essentially kills himself to save a random person who he is informed is a superior, complete version of him.

Seems pretty horrifying, but I guess the next decade of discourse turned it into merely 'boring', oh well.

I am writing paragraphs again, I've written almost 2000 words on Kingdom Hearts, I think I have actually doubled the word count of this entire thread, and now I want to die.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Kingdom Hearts has dreadful storytelling, excused for its combination of Disney and Final Fantasy (And i liked 1 & 2 as a teenager for that exact reason).

The dialogue is drivel, the delivery is unnatural (not the VA's fault) and even if you understand what's happening, you're too bored to care. All flow is lost.

3 remains the only game I've ever owned where I've skipped dialogue, as I let out groans of frustration. And I've played some stinkers!

So you can put KH against any series and I would probably have it down to be worse. Get Disney writers in to fix this mess.

My answer is XIV, and I've only just started Realm Reborn.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I mean I'm not exactly a literary critic or anything, but looking at this thread. I can't exactly work out why people vehemently dislike Kingdom Hearts' story to the point of there being multiple posts by different people going "I have played several Kingdom Hearts games and I dislike it so much that this game I have not even played must have a better story."

Low hanging fruit. KH is a very crazy concept with some insane stuff in it, which makes it easy target to let out some steam by calling it trash fire, garbage, worst thing ever blah blah. The discourse on this forum loves to jump to hyperboles when there's an opportunity.

That being said, yeah, KH has actual issues with its storytelling and cutscene direction, and I personally wish they'd trim the fat after KH3. But like, KH1- Com- KH2 - 358/2 have a legitimately fun, interesting story full of emotional, memorable moments and cool characters.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never played FF14 but voting that.

KH is a mess. They started fine only to make it worse the more games came out.

soniko_

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Having played both, XIV by a super long longshot.

The story in kingdom hearts is just confusing and opaque for the sake of being confusing and opaque.

In XIV at least they tell you what the fuck they meant on the last cliffhanger instead of just being vague about it.

Chucat

Dec 11, 2020
Low hanging fruit. KH is a very crazy concept with some insane stuff in it, which makes it easy target to let out some steam by calling it trash fire, garbage, worst thing ever blah blah. The discourse on this forum loves to jump to hyperboles when there's an opportunity.

That being said, yeah, KH has actual issues with its storytelling and cutscene direction, and I personally wish they'd trim the fat after KH3. But like, KH1- Com- KH2 - 358/2 have a legitimately fun, interesting story full of emotional, memorable moments and cool characters.

To be completely honest, I think KH (as a whole) switches from a rather neat kids story to sheer camp halfway through 2. You go from themes about friendship, sense of self and love to...

naorRmu.png

Goofy gets bonked on the head by a rock, he's apparently dead(!?!?!), Sora starts melting down in sheer disbelief, Donald apologizes about ice cream, and Mickey wants revenge. On who or what, I don't know, but there's a dramatic swell of music as Mickey throws off his cape and they all run off and beat up Heartless for an hour.

There's also the cutscene where Xenmas just walks down stairs for a straight minute which makes me laugh every single time I think about it. It's pretty much camp, I love this, I live for this.

Earlier on in this game a schoolkid gets gangstalked to the state of ego death and then his 'successor' gets indoctrinated into an anti-Nobody race war by the angry wizard from Fantasia. Between that and Goofy dying you had a mermaid tail and were playing songs using clams as xylophones. It's just full of the most drastic tone shifts I've ever seen. The entire game has gone off the rails, Nomura is unbound.

If you're not into stuff like this, or "Terra fights a giant sewing machine" or "You bounce around on a giant cat squishing the cast of Tron Legacy" interspersed with "Ven's entire arc in BBS" and "<INSERT SOMETHING THAT INVOKED PATHOS IN 3D, DON'T FORGET TO DO THIS, PEOPLE WILL LAUGH AT YOU IF YOU DON'T>" then I don't blame you for bouncing off.

358/2 seems good but I've only played the collection version, which, as I said before, isn't really going to give the same experience, and reading the story of Recoded put me into a state of torpor.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Kingdom Hearts gave us poetic lines like "Who's to say it's even safe inside Riku" and "You and Kairi smell the same" as well as dramatic performances like Winnie the Pooh's astral projection and Mickey losing his shirt. It's an obvious choice.

These stories are very different and it'd be like asking if God of War 2 or Horizon 2 will have a better story just because they're both forthcoming Sony sequels.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shitting on the series is the hot thing to do here and it's just gotten embarrassing now. This isn't a Game Freak situation where the games themselves are of a poor standard with the bare minimum done, some people here just can't accept that a narrative they don't like is successful and will continue to be successful.
Yeah while I do myself think FFXIV story is better as I also think it's(ShB specifically) the best FF story I do really love the crazy ass story Nomura is telling in KH so not sorry to the people that it bugs.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like OP already knew the answer but just wanted to drive the point home.

Oct 28, 2017
Even the first KH1's story is a mess. The series does have merit, but it's not because of the story.
They aren't really comparable and they don't need to be pit against each other. KH is meant for kids for starters.
I don't buy this, the story is extremely difficult for kids to follow. A good story is liked by all ages.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah while I do myself think FFXIV story is better as I also think it's(ShB specifically) the best FF story I do really love the crazy ass story Nomura is telling in KH so not sorry to the people that it bugs.

It's crazy fun at times but also crazy baffling and extremely convoluted at other times, especially in the later entries, to the point of genuine pants on head nonsense. I called it a dumpster fire in the most endearing possible way and I'm not trying to be mean or make fun of anyone who doesn't care, but I also like the series and feel like it could still be fun nonsense without being so bad at the storytelling aspect.

Chucat

Dec 11, 2020
Even the first KH1's story is a mess. The series does have merit, but it's not because of the story.

I don't buy this, the story is extremely difficult for kids to follow. A good story is liked by all ages.

Okay, humour me here. What part about KH1 was a mess to you? Was it the characters' motivations, was it some of the terminology, or was it something else specifically?

I'm actually curious since I see a lot of "Oh the game is really confusing" and "I have to play a bunch of games", which is weird considering this is a thread extolling the virtues of Final Fantasy "Play three previous games to get the full Shadowbringers Experience" Fourteen.

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, humour me here. What part about KH1 was a mess to you? Was it the characters' motivations, was it some of the terminology, or was it something else specifically?
Well, you are working with a extremely contrived setting, with contrived explanations for the things that happen, which is especially the case at the end with weird things happening, but are explained away with weirder explanations. It feels like a relatively straightforward story that's made more complex with concepts and explanations that are hard to take seriously. Honestly, I find it hard to remember what happened since it was just gibberish to me.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom hearts 1 kind of worked as a standard basic JRPG hero story but the worlds are disney. It's not particularly standout in any way, but If that was all the series ever was, fine.
Then it immediately went off the goddamn rails. Kingdom hearts just has things continuously happen arbitrarily because "and now, nomura decided this needs this to happen, so it does" interspersed with complete and utter nonsense as attempts to explain things. There's no real logic to anything, including the characters and basically everyone's motivations for anything.

Kingdom hearts is lucky in a sense that despite all its failings, being tied to the Disney brand early on gives it staying power that far outweighs the sum of its parts, because if it didn't have that, and had to stand on it's own merits, this series would have been buried long ago.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I would have enjoyed KH if it wasn't that convoluted. I still don't really understand it. But I think the idea itself is cool?

I liked XIV since ARR (yes, including ARR) so :( My vote goes to that one.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I haven't touched ffXIV at all and know nothing about the story but I can easily say KH is way worse.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
It really depends what you value. If you're looking for bonkers action and fanservice with recognisable characters - KH is a masterclass in that. The only thing that comes close is the MCU.

Looking for a deep, well-written story that takes itself more seriously - FFXIV.

Though I would argue that KH was the harder project to get right in the first place. The only way was up from XIV's original release. KH started on a high note and for the most part was under the pressure to maintain it due to all the franchises it touched.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Rush Hour trilogy vs Lord Of The Rings trilogy, which is better? They are both from the same company.
It really depends what you value. If you're looking for bonkers action and fanservice with recognisable characters - KH is a masterclass in that. The only thing that comes close is the MCU.

Looking for a deep, well-written story that takes itself more seriously - FFXIV.
FFXIV also has plenty of bonkers action cutscenes and fanservice.

Chucat

Dec 11, 2020
Well, you are working with a extremely contrived setting, with contrived explanations for the things that happen, which is especially the case at the end with weird things happening, but are explained away with weirder explanations. It feels like a relatively straightforward story that's made more complex with concepts and explanations that are hard to take seriously. Honestly, I find it hard to remember what happened since it was just gibberish to me.

Okay, what was contrived? What part of the game made you go "This is stupid, I don't care about these characters?"

Like I said before, you can play pretty much the entire game just knowing the following statements about the overarching plot, like someone can ask you "What are you doing?" and you can just say the following:

- Sora and friends want to get off this island because it's boring.
- Sora wants to find his friends and learn what happened to his island.
- Sora wants to stop Maleficient/Ansem from doing their evil scheme and rescue Riku.

If you're in a Disney world it's just that and also the thing you're in that world to do? You landed in Agrabah in case Kairi or Riku are there, you're staying there to help out this cool guy called Aladdin, rescue a princess and defeat Jafar, and also sealing worlds because that's what you do.

I mean this isn't even like someone saying Dream Drop Distance is hard to understand considering it has 6 previous games worth of story to catch up on, introduces things like parallel dimensions, time travel and so on.

This is just a story for children, designed to be understood by children, where a kid teams up with Donald Duck and Goofy to find his friends and beat up literal Disney villains.

Though I would argue that KH was the harder project to get right in the first place. The only way was up from XIV's original release. KH started on a high note and for the most part was under the pressure to maintain it due to all the franchises it touched.

Final Fantasy 14 has absurd amounts of fanservice/references, off the top of my head:

- Pretty much every endgame boss is based on either a summoned monster.
- All of the 8 player raids are literally named after, are about, and have you fight something big from a previous game.
- The entire 8 player raid in Stormblood has you fighting bosses from previous games.
- There was a literal entire alliance raid TIER in Stormblood all about Final Fantasy Tactics, Ivalice and Espers(?)
- The alliance raid tier in Shadowbringers is all about Nier.

I mean if you want to get into a discussion about how Donald Duck saying "It's Sephiroth!" is fanservice on the one hand. While fighting Kefka and Exdeath as part of an interstellar tournament while inside of Omega immidiately after getting helped by Midgardsormr isn't fanservice, then yeah, there could be something there.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've heard of anyone who likes the plot of the KH series at this point. You could make a case for KH1-COM-KH2, but outside that. Nah.

I've only finished Realm Reborn from XIV. It's not amazing, but it was coherent at least. Need to play the expansions at some point.

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FFXIV fans having a stockholm syndrome. Spending 10 dollars every month for 7 years + 5 expansions which is nearly 1000 dollars. I haven't even count cosmetics and the amount of time spending in this game. They need to justify that this game is awesome for the amount of money and time they have spend.

Anyway 100 Dollar KH All in package> 1000 dollar MMO

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Okay, what was contrived? What part of the game made you go "This is stupid, I don't care about these characters?"

Like I said before, you can play pretty much the entire game just knowing the following statements about the overarching plot, like someone can ask you "What are you doing?" and you can just say the following:

- Sora wants to stop Maleficient/Ansem from doing their evil scheme and rescue Riku.

If you're in a Disney world it's just that and also the thing you're in that world to do? You landed in Agrabah in case Kairi or Riku are there, you're staying there to help out this cool guy called Aladdin, rescue a princess and defeat Jafar, and also sealing worlds because that's what you do.

I mean this isn't even like someone saying Dream Drop Distance is hard to understand considering it has 6 previous games worth of story to catch up on, introduces things like parallel dimensions, time travel and so on.

This is just a story for children, designed to be understood by children, where a kid teams up with Donald Duck and Goofy to find his friends and beat up literal Disney villains.

Final Fantasy 14 has absurd amounts of fanservice/references, off the top of my head:

- All of the 8 player raids are literally named after, are about, and have you fight something big from a previous game.
- The entire 8 player raid in Stormblood has you fighting bosses from previous games.
- There was a literal entire alliance raid TIER in Stormblood all about Final Fantasy Tactics, Ivalice and Espers(?)

I mean if you want to get into a discussion about how Donald Duck saying "It's Sephiroth!" is fanservice on the one hand. While fighting Kefka and Exdeath as part of an interstellar tournament while inside of Omega immidiately after getting helped by Midgardsormr isn't fanservice, then yeah, there could be something there.
FF is one property.

KH is like all of Disney. You can't seriously think the two are even comparable in terms of sheer popularity?

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

While FFXIV has a lot of fanservice, there's one key difference: A lot of the callbacks to other games ARE PART of the XIV world, for example the Stormblood alliance that you refer is based on Ivalice, but it's a different Ivalice which is integrated on the XIV world, so you see characters, events and locations which has it's own spin and are part of the XIV's lore and world building. When you fight classic FF bosses they have their own designs and is integrated into the lore.

When KH puts Frozen on KH is LITERALLY Frozen: same plot, same characters, same scenes of the movies. They recreated a shot by shot of Let it Go for christsake, except it has a couple of shots of Sora and compay watching in the distance. Is not Elza's version of KH in which she's a key wielder princess. She's just Elza with KH self-inserted there.

Except for Mickey and a few other classic Disney characters is just the same characters, plots and movies recreated point by point. Or just weird "in between" movies snapshots of those same movies and characters.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I love Kingdom Hearts, but Final Fantasy is miles ahead in terms of lore building coherent story telling.

Rckstar

Oct 29, 2017
The FF14 story is presented in such a boring way i keep losing any will to read all that after 10 MSQ's...
So KH wins for me.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

I laugh when I see people wanting a reboot for Kingdom Hearts. People, reboots only happen when the current continuity is no longer profitable but the IP itself still holds monetary value. Kingdom Hearts' current continuity is more profitable than ever.

FF is way smaller than Disney. So yes it is fanservice, but the fanbase is tiny. It's like nothing in comparison to what is done in KH.

What other Disney game lets you fight Julius from Runaway Brain as a secret boss?

3734c2acb69b88e84de9a6e63b3e262d.jpg

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV fans having a stockholm syndrome. Spending 10 dollars every month for 7 years + 5 expansions which is nearly 1000 dollars. I haven't even count cosmetics and the amount of time spending in this game. They need to justify that this game is awesome for the amount of money and time they have spend.

...Right. This post is missing a /s , right?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Lol this is a pretty garbage take and blatantly not true at all. I've certainly spent more money on kingdom hearts over the years then what I've spent on Ff14, and Ff14 is very clearly the winner as far as story and characters go.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018

Or could download free trial and enjoy hours of story for free with base game and first expansion pack lol.

Chucat

Dec 11, 2020
While FFXIV has a lot of fanservice, there's one key difference: A lot of the callbacks to other games ARE PART of the XIV world, for example the Stormblood alliance that you refer is based on Ivalice, but it's a different Ivalice which is integrated on the XIV world, so you see characters, events and locations which has it's own spin and are part of the XIV's lore and world building. When you fight classic FF bosses they have their own designs and is integrated into the lore.

When KH puts Frozen on KH is LITERALLY Frozen: same plot, same characters, same scenes of the movies. They recreated a shot by shot of Let it Go for christsake, except it has a couple of shots of Sora and compay watching in the distance. Is not Elza's version of KH in which she's a key wielder princess. She's just Elza with KH self-inserted there.

Except for Mickey and a few other classic Disney characters is just the same characters, plots and movies recreated point by point. Or just weird "in between" movies snapshots of those same movies and characters.

I partly agree with this. Though I think Final Fantasy 14 dances on the line of including content that's inspired by previous games, and just flat out referencing them.

I think part of how the two games handle it is a matter of how out of place something is. This could be down to bad execution, or just something being completely and utterly out of place. I'll talk about Final Fantasy 14 first, since that's simpler.

FF14 is set on Eorzea, you fight Ascians and the Garlean Empire, Primals are summoned and so on and so forth. Besides the Primals being references to summoned creatures in earlier games, the plot works as a standalone Final Fantasy game plot. So after 2.0, Crystal Tower rolls around. I hadn't played the game it came from, but the writers did such a good job of integrating the references and letting them stand on their own merits that I didn't even KNOW it was meant to be a reference. Xande was a former Allagan Emperor, he had an assistant called Amon, and he did some stupid experiments with Darkness which caused an Umbral Calamity, it fits perfectly into FF14.

Heavensward is the same, the final boss is literally Knights of the Round from FF7, but the fact they put in all the worldbuilding beforehand of Ishgard being a knight based society, the Archbishop is tended to by knights who have weird magical powers and so on means that you can just accept it on its own merits. These both feel like they worked so hard to integrate them into the game that I have no idea if the reference or the justification came first.

On the other hand, something like the Nier crossover raid is just completely and utterly baffling. I'm helping some Dwarfs try to carry out fraud and petty crimes and laughing at the actual well written humour, and then I'm suddenly meeting characters from Nier and fighting enemies from Nier in what I imagine to be a Nier place? I got whiplash from how sudden it was.

y06JDtm.png

I see something like this and I get "Pete talking to Barbossa" vibes.

There's also the entire Hades thing which almost felt like a joke. I was expecting themes of death and so on, but instead it's just "My real name is Hades.", I don't even know if I can call that fanservice, since I don't know who it was meant to be pleasing. I mean you then also have Eden which has a 1:1 remake of its summon animation while the boss music from FF8 plays, and if that isn't fanservice then I'm just lost.

I suppose what I'm saying is I like the content they do that's clearly inspired by something but can freely stand on its own merits (Crystal Tower, the Heavensward), but when you get something like Omega/Nier/Ivalice where to me, it feels like it's been shoehorned in, I tend to feel like it's just fanservice. The problem here though is that it's so subjective that one person is going to say "Cool ref" while someone else will go "I don't care about this fanservice."

Kingdom Hearts on the other hand is way different. It's in a weird boat with fanservice because it is explicitly a crossover game. You know you're getting into a crossover game, the box pretty much says it's going to be a crossover game (100+ Disney Characters! Adventure through the Disney Universe! Final Fantasy Cameos!). You go into the game with the expectation of Disney characters and worlds, playing Kingdom Hearts and bringing up fanservice as an issue is like playing Marvel vs Capcom and getting mad that there's X-Men there.

Also the first game works the Disney characters into the overarching plot really well. The main villain of 90% of the game is Maleficient, she's the reason why Princesses are getting kidnapped, she's the reason Riku is a jerk. Captain Hook gets to use his pirate ship to go around and kidnap people. This emphasis becomes way lower in the later games, which I'm not exactly a fan of, but then Xehanort legitimately feels like a Disney villain to me, so the blow is lessened.

As an aside, I've seen the same level of 'excitement' for FF14 to include references from previous games, which makes me think that the people clamouring for the references aren't so much interested in the justification for it showing up as opposed to just seeing the reference in the first place.

Regarding the actual Disney plots though, I brought this up before, but most of them actually do a really good job of being more than "lame rehash of the movie that it's based on". Frozen is mostly an aberration in that it partly follows the movie and not very well at that, though it does still attempt to diverge from it a BIT by having Larxene want to kidnap Elsa for 'evil reasons', but then it makes you sit through the whole of Let It Go so it's a wash. I'll just say some of the most notable different plots are Halloween Town, Neverland (Chain of Memories) and Space Paranoids.

So basically, they're both games built on fanservice, callbacks and references. Just in one of them people expect it and in the other people demand it.

Last edited:

Chucat

Dec 11, 2020
FF is one property.

KH is like all of Disney. You can't seriously think the two are even comparable in terms of sheer popularity?

FF is way smaller than Disney. So yes it is fanservice, but the fanbase is tiny. It's like nothing in comparison to what is done in KH.

I mean I don't really understand what you're getting at here, but let me try and pick it apart.

"Final Fantasy is one property so the fanservice is less noticeable than Kingdom Hearts"

If I take this extremely uncharitably, you're saying that someone needs to play around 16 JRPGs, 2 SRPGs, 1 MMO and watch at least 2 films in order to understand and appreciate all the references in Final Fantasy 14. Considering this is a thread where multiple people have complained about the barrier of entry for the plot of Kingdom Hearts, the jokes write themselves.

If I'm a bit more charitable, then you're saying that the games are similar enough to where if you bring up something from a previous game, it doesn't matter because they're so similar. At this point, I think the only consistencies between every Final Fantasy game are: The title, the company, chocobos, "The Fire spell", Bahamut and some musical cues, so a passing knowledge of the series wouldn't help. You're subjecting yourself to the whims of the storywriters in working this stuff in properly.

Let's say I do accept this though. The argument doesn't really hold water for things like the Monster Hunter event, the Yoaki Watch event, the entire Nier alliance raid. Those are all completely unconnected to Final Fantasy, but they're in FF14. You could make the argument they're optional content (to varying degrees), but that doesn't diminish the fact that it exists.

The only other conclusion I can take from what you said is that fanservice only matters in terms of the scale of its fanbase. So the only issue with the intensity of any fanservice is the amount of fans who 'get the references'.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I like KH a lot, love the first 2 and like the third. It also has one of the worst stories/plots/narrative in gaming.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't enjoyed a story in a kingdom hearts game since the first one, while FFXIV is constantly blowing me away.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I love KH and haven't played XIV (and won't) but even I voted for XIV after the trash ending to KH3.

BiohunterX

Oct 27, 2017
i'll never understand how anyone (whose played or watched both) can choose kh over 14. kh is so convoluted and over dramatic and it only got worse as time went on. it all went down hill after kh2 imo

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
XIV because I can at least comprehend what's going on. Kingdom Hearts has its qualities but the story is not one of them.

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018

Great bait

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I know this is just trolling but I literally bought a PSP just for BBS, lol. I ended up getting Dissidia as well but KH is a very expensive IP when you factor in all the asinine system-hopping they made people do.