• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Title

• Kingdom Hearts

Votes: 86 9.0%
  • Final Fantasy XIV

Votes: 870 91.0%

• Total voters

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
What's a thread made in good faith then? I really just want to see the opinions on both "series" claiming they are ending their current long-form saga.
There's certainly merit in regards comparing and contrasting them to one another, especially similarities between groups like the Ascians and Organization XIII, but framing this as a "which is better??" thread does not seem to be a successful way in doing that. Especially after general reactions to KH3 and Shadowbringers among fans. This is obvious.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What has a better story? A marketing advertisement that is long in the tooth or this actually written thought out story?

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
I'm glad KH finally finished the so called Xehanort saga. I'll probably never play a KH game again.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Between ARR (terrible), Heavenward (okay-ish) Stormblood (cool, but boring) and Shadowbringers (the only decent story in the series), I'm surprised so many people are glancing over the fact that the first 60 hours of ARR is shit and to get to what many consider the "good stuff" it takes the equivalent of beating one RPG. Neither story is honestly great but I guess FFXIV does have the better highs than KH.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Ah so I'm not actually weird for thinking KH's story is shit. People made me think I was.
I mean you skipped all the way to 3 man, and besides, tons of folks hate KH's story because of a similar reason, they skipped games and got confused and gave up on caring about it.

I don't think this thread was made in good faith. Even if KH's story wasn't as polarizing as it is, this would be a rediculous comparison.

Can we stop having excuses to just shit all over a single series like this, KH isn't that bad, and it feels dumb that people have to constantly assert that it is.

luminous

Oct 27, 2017
I love KH for the convoluted mess it is and I do think XIV is much superior storywise but please... this is almost unfair with the way KH gets clowned especially around these parts.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The story for Kingdom Hearts is more basic than folks let on. A tale of friends searching for each other while fighting darkness in overrun worlds. of course if you consider the HOW and WHY in Kingdom Hearts it becomes weird. But then that is what disney also is, fantasy.

That being said, of course there is probably more layers and threads with the XIV story.

Each requires its own care though.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Between ARR (terrible), Heavenward (okay-ish) Stormblood (cool, but boring) and Shadowbringers (the only decent story in the series), I'm surprised so many people are glancing over the fact that the first 60 hours of ARR is shit and to get to what many consider the "good stuff" it takes the equivalent of beating one RPG. Neither story is honestly great but I guess FFXIV does have the better highs than KH.
I don't think the first part of ARR is shit at all, it's all world building stuff that feeds into everything else down the road.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played one second of FF14.

I'm picking FF14.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Having never player FFXIV and following KH up to Dream Drop Distance, FFXIV's story would have to break one of my kneecaps in order for me to think it's a worst story then Kingdom Hearts

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This thread doesn't serve any purpose. There's no common ground for comparison, all it serves for is highlighting KH's story problems, which could've been framed in a more discourse-friendly way.

OP must be trolling, basically.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I think the op hates KH and just wanted to see it being crushed in the poll. Just maybe. 🤔

I personally consider Kingdom Hearts to be when Yoko Shimomura's career has taken a nosedive.
So Nomura, he used to make great things before Kingdom Hearts rolled around.
It's basically Kingdom Hearts if Kingdom Hearts was actually good and had a well-written plot.
. KH's battle system is a snooze fest that mostly consists about spamming attacks and there is hardly any depth to it except to navigate around enemy patterns.

Actually you're right. The poll isn't made in bad faith at all. :]

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
This thread doesn't serve any purpose. There's no common ground for comparison, all it serves for is highlighting KH's story problems, which could've been framed in a more discourse-friendly way.

OP must be trolling, basically.
They use quite a lot of similar ideas, it's the presentation that's the major difference. Still think the poll should have been about which presentation was preferred.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Kingdom Hearts' biggest problem is the fact that most of the story just feels made up along the way. Does that take away from the music, graphics or gameplay? Nope, it's still super enjoyable. However, thinking that KH's story is even in the same ball park as FFXIV is laughable and I say this as a KH fan since KH1 lmao

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I love Kingdom Hearts and have for a very long time, but... FFXIV, easily.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
KH1 is fantastic story wise, CoM sorta goes a bit too hard in the anime direction but does a good enough job of masking the fact that it's reusing like 90% of content from KH1 (even though it was practically all new assets), but after that the story gets more and more convoluted as it goes on. I think Days was the only one I enjoyed after 2, and that was mostly because of the way it was told, which was something the cutscene movie in the HD collections completely ruined. KH3 was fine because it was all Disney 'til the end, but the end was so stupid.
The story for Kingdom Hearts is more basic than folks let on. A tale of friends searching for each other while fighting darkness in overrun worlds. of course if you consider the HOW and WHY in Kingdom Hearts it becomes weird. But then that is what disney also is, fantasy.

That being said, of course there is probably more layers and threads with the XIV story.

Each requires its own care though.
This is definitely true though. It always amuses me when people say that the KH story is bad because it's confusing. I personally don't think it's good or told well, but it's so simple to digest, and the whole "I have to buy 4 different systems and play all the side games to get the full story" argument that people still love to use hasn't been true for like 7 years now lol.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I think the op hates KH and just wanted to see it being crushed in the poll. Just maybe. 🤔

Actually you're right. The poll isn't made in bad faith at all. :]
Ah so OP was talking nonesense when he didn't understand people saying this poll was created in bad faith.

Let's let this thread die.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I love KH's story but man, FFXIV's story is truly something special. It's probably my favorite story of all-time and I don't see CBU3 and Yoshi-P fuck this up.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
My opinion on the matter is irrelevant and my thread was neutral. Me thinking the writing bad does not mean that others think so too. By the way, these posts were made before KH3 and I was still irate over 358/2 Days. Saying Shimomura's music was better before is not a slight against KH too.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i only ever played the base game of ff14 which i thought was very boring for a long time.

kh may have become insanely contrived and kh3 cutscene direction is pretty awful, but i still enjoy the insanity, so i actually voted kh here.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
I haven't played Final Fantasy XIV, but I have played all KH, so my vote goes to FF. I love Kingdom Hearts but it needs to go down as one of the worst stories ever told in games.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My opinion on the matter is irrelevant and my thread was neutral. Me thinking the writing bad does not mean that others think so too. By the way, these posts were made before KH3 and I was still irate over 358/2 Days. Saying Shimomura's music was better before is not a slight against KH too.
The thing is you had to know how this thread would go.

Era is an echo chamber of praise for Yoshi-P and XIV's Team(it's a quality product so I get it it)

Era is also a nasty viper pit who will attack and blame/discredit all work Nomura is involved in, with some of our users admitting to being annoyed when Nomura isn't involved so they can't blame him/Unit 1.

D_K

Oct 28, 2017
France
As someone who have just begun KH3 and enjoyed KH1, KH2, CoM and BBS (didn't played the other ones). I must say every other video game at this point should have a better story. I watched the "story so far" at the menu of KH3 and even the summary which is supposed to help you keep up with the story is complete nonsense. I'm 5 hours in the last game and i just learned i missed time travel and virtual Sora. WTF ?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is clearly a joke.

As someone who adores the KH series, the story is an out of control trashfire. I've no idea if I even played FF14 since ARR came out, but no matter the quality of its storytelling, I find it difficult that it is at all comparable to Kingdom Hearts'.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
You are invoking an incredibly rediculous comparison without highlighting why both series would have any reason to be talked about in the same breath.

It'd be like comparing Tails Got Trolled to A Song of Ice and Fire, you are getting a lot of people who are heavily invested in the latter to make fun of the former without making any serious argument linking the two besides "both have a lot of story."

That to me feels like something that should be corrected if the goal was to invoke conversation between them, but given the history of KH discorse on the site you have to have known that such a reaction was gonna be inevitable?

I'm just saying this was a missfire and I hope next time you decide to make a KH related thread this is brought into consideration.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I liked kh up to kh2. After that it lost me. I think CoM was my favorite. That said, FFXIV wins this one for me.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Having only played KH1 and 2 and not playing any of FFXIV (but seeing further aspects of both stories through YouTube videos and synopsis write-ups)... FFXIV.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts story is meh. FFXIV on the other hand just have the loudest annoying fans that repeatedly want to force people into agreeing with them that it's some epic game when it's nothing more than another boring MMO.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
XIV has a faaaaar better story than KH, but the comparison is nonsensical. The only reason this thread exists is because Dreamboum has a thing for propping CBU3 (and the historic teams that formed it) against Nomura and CBU1. It's typical FF fan bullshit where 'my FF could beat up your FF' and as many have pointed out, amounts to a bad faith discussion.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Hello, I'm the minority that prefers KH even for its story.

I feel like no one is taking into account how long it takes for the story to get good in FFXIV. I've heard Shadowbringers has a good story, but I played FFXIV until mid-Heavensward and found it to be such a slog. There were almost no interesting plot points and when it seemed like it might get interesting, the game threw so much filler at me (which was apparently improved in a patch way after I quit). Remember that one time you were asked to go gather ingredients for a banquet before going to beat a boss? That took hours. No single world's substory in KH takes that long, which for me, gives it the win by default.

I can't compare any further than mid-Heavensward, but from what I've played, the beginning of the KH saga was much better than the beginning of FFXIV:
- KH1 has a way better story than A Realm Reborn
- The beginning of KH2 is way more interesting than the beginning of Heavensward

Lastly, for the dialogue, I slightly prefer KH's slow talking and cringy use of words like "hurt", "heart", "light", "darkness" (coming soon: "unreality") every sentence over FFXIV's long-winded dialogue. In a game that is already so long, they decided to make it even longer by adding a ton of dialogue about nothing. You could remove 90% of the fluff in dialogue, even in more important scenes, and nothing of value would be lost -- the gist of the story would probably be easier to get, too. Again, this is just based on what I've played -- it's possible that this gets better after mid-Heavensward too.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
What's a thread made in good faith then? I really just want to see the opinions on both "series" claiming they are ending their current long-form saga.

They are drastically different franchises targeted towards different demographics. That being said, Final Fantasy XIV obviously has the better narrative compared to Kingdom Hearts if we compare the critical reception. I just find this sort of comparison really puzzling because the only connection these two franchises have is that they're published by Square Enix and that it involves Final Fantasy, that's it.

Used to be a diehard KH fan and stopped after I finished III. Never played FFXIV and yet I still voted for XIV in the poll lol.

Edit: just to be clear, the "story" of Kingdom Hearts is one of the worst in the history of video games. The story of anything that isn't I or II is so bad it actively destroys the better qualities of those games.

Come on now, Kingdom Hearts II is the game that started the complications to the narrative. Even the secret reports in Kingdom Hearts hint at the complications of the narrative if we want to get even more specific.