• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think KH4 comes out?

Votes: 10 2.9%

Votes: 127 36.9%

Votes: 103 29.9%

Votes: 39 11.3%

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • 20XX

Votes: 43 12.5%

• Total voters

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You mean outside of Final Fantasy Versus XIII with the serial numbers filed off?

I would put money on us seeing the Remake versions of Cloud and Sephiroth (and possibly the other Midgar crew?). Sora will try to talk to them about their previous encounters, only to be met with blank stares.

We already did that in COM. :P

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
You mean outside of Final Fantasy Versus XIII with the serial numbers filed off?

I would put money on us seeing the Remake versions of Cloud and Sephiroth (and possibly the other Midgar crew?). Sora will try to talk to them about their previous encounters, only to be met with blank stares.
They can probably port FF7R character assets directly lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wow had no idea Nomura was straight up chained to the franchise like this. I've got a bit more sympathy for Nomura's versus obsession if that was one of they few outs he could have from the series. Always sorta braced for Disney to take over the games from Nomura but seems it's a bit more of a "your here forever" kind of thing.

I don't have the same kind of inside track on the KH/Disney/Square relationship as I used to (it's been years, I'm afraid), but the read I always got on the situation was that Disney likes the money KH brings in but has never been particularly interested in shepherding the series without Nomura and Square Enix at the helm. In the event Nomura suddenly and sharply retired from game development, I get the feeling KH would get back-burnered and then slowly disappear entirely. That was before Tai Yasue entered the picture, though. Either way, they have zero interest in forcefully seizing the franchise from Nomura and Square and making it on their own. It's more of a "we'll let you keep doing this as long as it keeps making us money" kind of thing.

That being said, there have been several initiatives by creatives within Disney over the years to "do something" with KH - an animated movie, a TV series, even a theme park attraction, etc - but they've always fallen through at various stages of early development for a myriad of reasons. Kind of like how Sora and KH Donald/Goofy were walkaround characters in the parks for extremely limited times and then got shunted off into being a request-only character for rich kid birthday parties for years. As far as I know even that's done now too.

TL;DR version: Disney at large has always viewed KH more as a curiosity that makes them money, rather than something they have aspirations of expanding into a million other forms of media by themselves.

I don't think this is a good idea since (as mentioned) they already pulled it in Chain of Memories, and more importantly losing that character relationship for a cheap "remake lol" joke just feels...kinda spiteful? KH Cloud is an actual character in the universe, he's not just a five-second cameo.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
That would make sense. It'll be interesting to see what they do for Donald and Goofy. Maybe since it's Star Wars they can make them look like aliens/puppets/animatronics?

Actually, it would be really awesome if they got Lucasfilm to help out on that. To design what Donald and Goofy would look like if they had to appear in a Star Wars film.

I bet the team at Lucasfilm would have a blast with that assignment.

since we got endor basically confirmed, I hope that instead of being with the main trio, we're with Rex's squad of rebels

Actually having Han, Luke, and Leia would be incredible, though. Like, Disney movies are iconic but thatd be a bit beyond what KH has done before, that would be like a LOTR world where the whole Fellowship is your party.

I 'hope' the only big loss for brand rules is that you lose Leia/Han when you go to the Death Star to fight Vader. It would be pretty fun if we got a co-protagonist so the game could replicate the multiple battle threads of Endor, though (Sora/Luke v Vader, Kairi/Donald/Goofy/Leia/Han versus giant Heartless Shield Generator, Riku/Lando flying the gummi Falcon).

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I don't think this is a good idea since (as mentioned) they already pulled it in Chain of Memories, and more importantly losing that character relationship for a cheap "remake lol" joke just feels...kinda spiteful? KH Cloud is an actual character in the universe, he's not just a five-second cameo.
That's why it would be perfect, because it's not really Cloud. It would reinforce the idea that Sora has ended up in a whole new world, with whole new rules.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I personally forgive KH's bullshit because it broke my brain 15 years ago so I don't have high expectations for it anymore. Sora's a dumb golden retriever, Riku is underutilized, and Kairi doesn't exist. That's just reality.

I have way higher expectations for mainline Final Fantasy, so when FFVIIR is just wall-to-wall bullshit it pisses me off, lol
if anything, I was down on KH3 because it wasn't dumb enough

there's a reason why the woody and sully scenes became hugely popular on the internet- the rest of the game was just doing nothing until the rushed climax

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Is Xehanort bullshit officially done? Is this officially start of something else?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean... Not to burst your bubble, but KH3 also got announced with 'gameplay'... And then came out 6 years later. 😅

I don't believe this will be the case for KH4 though!

Although they also switched engines from Luminous to Unreal...... I'll shut up now, before I jinx anything.
I was about to stop you, but you mentioned it yourself. That "gameplay" was on a completely different engine and prior to essentially restarting development. And that "gameplay" was clearly pre rendered and not very indicative of the final product in terms of Sora's movement and animation. The movement we see for KH4 is in engine and doesn't seem any more complex than the movement we see from KH3.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I don't know shit about Star Wars, so I've just been politely nodding and thinking "I know some of these words" for the last page or so , lol

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We are all expecting our keyblade-lightsaber battle vs Vader, right? Like there you have a top5 videogame moment if it happens.

Also vs thanos? With the avengers?

Marvel and star wars fit too well thematically to not use them in this franchise.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We are all expecting our keyblade-lightsaber battle vs Vader, right? Like there you have a top5 videogame moment if it happens.

Also vs thanos? With the avengers?

Marvel and star wars fit too well thematically to not use them in this franchise.

I don't think you could really do Thanos in KH without several games of buildup. If they do a Marvel world, it'll be an adaptation of ONE Marvel film or a completely new story starring some Marvel characters.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
All I know about Star Wars is the anime anthology and general pop culture memes. I don't really care that it's in but I hope the world's fun. Xemnas basically used lightsabers already and he was the best final boss in all of video games back in 2 so that's cool

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
I didn't notice before, but Sora doesn't transform the blade for his grappling hook, he uses the keychain.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I was about to stop you, but you mentioned it yourself. That "gameplay" was on a completely different engine and prior to essentially restarting development. And that "gameplay" was clearly pre rendered and not very indicative of the final product in terms of Sora's movement and animation. The movement we see for KH4 is in engine and doesn't seem any more complex than the movement we see from KH3.
Okay, how about this footage then (from just a couple of months later)? 😉

I honestly prefered the Luminous engine look... But we at least had some real footage by then. I'll stop jinxing it now! 😆

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The more I look at that last scene in the trailer, the more I think Hades wasn't actually who Donald and Goofy were looking for in the underworld, especially considering their reaction to him popping up.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I think there's no real point in fussing over 'scripted' gameplay, because frankly KH3 shows that this trailer is likely to be extremely indicative of the final thing. It's more likely they rigged it for the trailer's flow than it is that they rigged it because there's no actual gameplay yet lol

Great, cannot take anymore "NORT'd LOL" tweests/characters.
Too bad I have not touched any of the mobile/browser stuff, gonna wing it as far as plot goes.

Cautiously, I would honestly say you will lose or gain nothing from winging it because they're doing a great job integrating it back to the console games:

I said this earlier in the thread too, but honestly KH3 (and so far KH4 based on Strelitzia's portrayal) seems to basically assume that you don't know the mobile stuff (outside of Back Cover/The Foretellers, which obviously got the movie) as all the mobile stuff in both so far have been pseudo-introductions on their own anyways. The important stuff was shown in KH3 as if it was new (The black box, why it was important, etc).

I mean that in that it doesn't really matter if you know who the characters are already from playing Union Cross, because the game is still treating them as a mystery to Sora and friends. The journal even calls Ephemer "?" and you knowing or not knowing who he is doesn't affect KH3's story or your grasp on it.

People overblow how much you need to know about UX and its kin to understand what's going on with KH3 and onwards because "if you didnt play the mobile game you wouldn't know who this is" but... knowing who they are is the only reason they think that, you lose nothing by not knowing. It still flows the same and hits the same beats.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
By this logic, Toy Story and Monsters Inc shouldn't be in KH.

Disney is Disney. And there's no more requested IPs to put in the game than Marvel and Star Wars.
Yeah, as much as I don't care for either to be in this series, both are pretty clearly in the same space Toy Story was a bit over a decade ago where they're fair game thanks to acquisitions and easily the most requested properties to appear.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
The more I look at that last scene in the trailer, the more I think Hades wasn't actually who Donald and Goofy were looking for in the underworld, especially considering their reaction to him popping up.

I don't know who else there is with a fire motif and who shifts from blue to red. Also, the voice actor.
Why wouldn't Donald and Goofy be freaked out to see Hades shift to Angry Mode when they don't have Sora with them in case of a fight?

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I don't know who else there is with a fire motif and who shifts from blue to red. Also, the voice actor.
Why wouldn't Donald and Goofy be freaked out to see Hades shift to Angry Mode when they don't have Sora with them in case of a fight?
I didn't say that wasn't Hades, I said that might not be who they were looking for.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
If you really think that the Lucasfilm story department isn't going to be absolutely laser focused on making sure Vader only does what he is canonically able to do, I don't know what to tell you.

You're not going to see Vader fight like Vergil from Devil May Cry. It's not the character. If you want something like that you should be hoping for someone like Darth Maul instead.

Do you mind sourcing some of the stuff you're saying? Obviously, Disney is going to be strict on certain things but I have no reason to believe they're going to to care about the movesets of a boss.

You also claimed previously that Disney doesn't want a KH game that Nomura isn't leading and I haven't seen that anywhere.
This is fairly old, and for a different series, but Lucasfilm were kinda strict when it came to Disney Infinity 3.0

N: I know Lucasfilm is very aware of branding and keeping to certain guidelines with their characters. What's it been like working with them to find out how the Star Wars fits into the Disney Infinity world with all these other characters?

JV:
I have to say it's been interesting and it's been eye-opening, but it's not any different than the experiences we've had in the past with other creators. We've had the opportunity to work with the likes of Jerry Bruckheimer and Tim Burton and John Lasseter and other great storytellers. And the one thing that's been most important for us is that we know if we make those creators happy with the way that we've integrated their characters and content inside of our game, ultimately we'll be making the fans happy. One thing that was a very interesting, anecdotal backstory is when we got the call from Lucasfilm who said, "We're reviewing the latest version of the game and Darth Vader is running. And we have to tell you guys that you're going to have to cut that from the game because Darth Vader doesn't run." And we said, "Well this is a video game and so we want to make sure that Darth Vader is just as strong and can do just as many things as the other characters can." And the Lucasfilm team said to us, "While we respect that from a gameplay perspective, your fans will appreciate more that you're being true to that character than anything else." So as a result, Darth Vader does not actually run inside of Disney Infinity 3.0, but he does walk relatively quickly.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is Xehanort bullshit officially done? Is this officially start of something else?

I think it has already started for some time now with the mobile game. I'm really hoping they make this game as a real "new" arc and don't make it mandatory for people to know what went on in Unchained X, Union X, Dark Road and (now) Missing Link.

Press kit mentioning Strelitzia is a "new character" gives me hope.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Okay, how about this footage then (from just a couple of months later)? 😉

I honestly prefered the Luminous engine look... But we at least had some real footage by then. I'll stop jinxing it now! 😆

I forgot this was a thing. Actually, I think Square (developer, not publisher) is one of the few devs where games end up looking better at release than the first teasers/gameplays shown.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This is fairly old, and for a different series, but Lucasfilm were kinda strict when it came to Disney Infinity 3.0

Funny, Vader can jog in Battlefront 2, not full on running but certainly not walking.

Maybe they eased a bit?

I think it has already started for some time now with the mobile game. I'm really hoping they make this game as a real "new" arc and don't make it mandatory for people to know what went on in Unchained X, Union X, Dark Road and (now) Missing Link.

Press kit mentioning Strelitzia is a "new character" gives me hope.

That is 100% the press not knowing their KH shit.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Actually, I think Square (developer, not publisher) is one of the few devs where games end up looking better at release than the first teasers/gameplays shown.
More or less, yeah. I think FFXV was the only real exception to that rule.

I remember the hilarious backlash to what was obviously an unpolished build of KH 0.2 at E3 a few years back.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Full gauntlet Thanos superboss where the Snap is a cinematic counter move (like Xigbar's draw) that's his DM and if you fail it's a 50% chance of KO and the other 50% is you survive he's weakened from the snap, if you succeed it continues like normal

It's BS from a design standpoint but I don't think anyone could ACTUALLY be mad

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly prefered the Luminous engine look...
KH4 didn't end up looking like that because the game's general art direction changed overtime. If they wanted it to look like the prototypes did, they would've done that.

So that's why the opening level to Force Unleashed was so slow. Guy can't even run 🤣
Vader's like a horror movie villain. He can run but chooses not to because whoever he's after is already dead.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Wow had no idea Nomura was straight up chained to the franchise like this. I've got a bit more sympathy for Nomura's versus obsession if that was one of they few outs he could have from the series. Always sorta braced for Disney to take over the games from Nomura but seems it's a bit more of a "your here forever" kind of thing.
chained? It's likely for starters, that while Disney owns the IP, they have an extensive exclusive partnership and licence for producing games and merchandise around Kingdom Hearts, and they are respecting that Nomura and Square are the reason the games are happening.

It's likely not possible for Disney to cut Square out and give Kingdom Hearts to another dev outside SE despite owning the IP and they likely don't want to do it without Nomura's auteur vision behind it (not a judgment on whether Nomura's story etc.... is good/bad or otherwise, just that its a singular vision), its not like these games are being churned out like Pokemon or something. I'm sure someone else at Square could direct KH with Nomura as creative director/producer etc...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
More or less, yeah. I think FFXV was the only real exception to that rule.
It's not. Square actually has a history of presenting more polished versions of their games than what we get at release because of optimization.
Nomura isn't chained to anything. He straight up loves this series and Disney's films. Hell he even prefers retelling the story of the movies over creating original stories for the worlds.