• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think KH4 comes out?

Votes: 10 2.9%

Votes: 127 36.9%

Votes: 103 29.9%

Votes: 39 11.3%

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • 20XX

Votes: 43 12.5%

• Total voters

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, did the official lore ever explicitly say whether or not you needed the force to use a lightsaber?
You don't need the force to use a lightsaber.
Star-Wars-12-lightsabers.jpg

latest

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If they go MCU they should go hard and have it involve the Multiverse so it can be legit canon in both series. Sora teams up with Doctor Strange, everything is canon now. Or do a What If? style thing. Though I suppose with the multiverse basically anything MCU adjacent can now be considered 'canon.'

Disney was probably extremely controlling with Frozen considering it was their main money maker (at the time). I could see the same level of enforcement for something like Moana or Encanto tbh. Those are properties disney is making a ton of cash on currently and they don't want even the possibility of ruining their images.

I'd imagine they'd be more open with Moana nowadays. If they're the same with Encanto I don't think it could get as screwed up as Frozen did, just based on how the stories differ.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
There is a part of me that's a little afraid that if Nomura tries to get the MCU into KHIV that we end up with Kevin Feige turning his gaze over at Kingdom Hearts and that starts a weird chain reaction with Disney finally taking control and Feige somehow ends up steering the series.

Nightmare shit!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose, though I think KH4 as of now has TOO much to cover, and a game focusing on the BBS Trio, Lea, Isa and the mystery girl or something would be welcome while 4 deals with Quadratum, Verum Rex or whatever.

Are the 4 development teams fully accounted for now?

I think so. And I just don't think Square can really fire out a full console spinoff at the same alacrity they could do so for portable games. A spinoff on consoles would take as long to make as KH4 itself.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I think so. And I just don't think Square can really fire out a full console spinoff at the same alacrity they could do so for portable games. A spinoff on consoles would take as long to make as KH4 itself.
yeah this is where we definitely feel the loss of dedicated portable systems

It'd have to be like MOM where the gameplay is a completely different genre/justifies asset reuse

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

I suppose that's where the mobile games fit in now instead.

Also is this new info:

Ⅲは過去最高の670万本(2021年9月時点)
note.com

2022.04.10 KH20周年イベント|jyaco

20周年イベントに参加しました。 個人でメモした範囲の書き起こしをしたのでご参考までに。 ※若干の前後あり 司会進行は内田さん 野村さん、間さん登壇 ・20周年絵、今日の10時まで描いてた。なので今日寝てない ・シャンプー買ってきてって言ったけど結局間に合わず始まっちゃった ・リハで本気出して疲れてる 野村さんお気に入りのカフェで野村さんが語る映像が流れる 開発当初のデモムービー初公開(ここだけらしい) ソラがまだ人間じゃない姿で動く映像。3Dポリゴン、ドナグもパーティーにいる。コマンドはドラクエ、FF感。初期ボードのデスティニーアイランドを登ったり滑ったりしていた。 他

Translating to Kingdom Hearts 3 is at 6.7 million as of September 2021.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed bare minimum at least one console spinoff :(
Console spin offs are done. Hand held spinoffs were doable because smaller scale less high res assets required so less work overall. But now your min effort is Switch in that department and people would expect KH3 level from that. Mobile games are the new spin offs sadly which means MTX riddled bullshit. I really wish we got an MMO Spin off after they saw how successful FF14 was.

It will most likely happen. Nomura just chose to do this first before Verum Rex.
Yeah he said he had the choice of doing a Verum Rex game or a Sora game and chose the latter.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
You know what now that I think about it - no, console spin-offs shouldn't be dead.

Look at final fantasy. It recieves a variety of them. Stuff in a different art style/gameplay system like WoFF (Hell they could basically make a UX remake like this). Outsourced projects like Stranger of Paradise. All of that still comes to consoles. I don't see why the same can't be done of KH.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose that's where the mobile games fit in now instead.

Also is this new info:

note.com

2022.04.10 KH20周年イベント|jyaco

20周年イベントに参加しました。 個人でメモした範囲の書き起こしをしたのでご参考までに。 ※若干の前後あり 司会進行は内田さん 野村さん、間さん登壇 ・20周年絵、今日の10時まで描いてた。なので今日寝てない ・シャンプー買ってきてって言ったけど結局間に合わず始まっちゃった ・リハで本気出して疲れてる 野村さんお気に入りのカフェで野村さんが語る映像が流れる 開発当初のデモムービー初公開(ここだけらしい) ソラがまだ人間じゃない姿で動く映像。3Dポリゴン、ドナグもパーティーにいる。コマンドはドラクエ、FF感。初期ボードのデスティニーアイランドを登ったり滑ったりしていた。 他

Translating to Kingdom Hearts 3 is at 6.7 million as of September 2021.
This site has good summary of all the things that was talked during the event.

Nomura does confirm Sora's look is like this because he is in Quadratum (everyone knows but I think there might be some who think his look will be like that the whole game)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You know what now that I think about it - no, console spin-offs shouldn't be dead.

Look at final fantasy. It recieves a variety of them. Stuff in a different art style/gameplay system like WoFF (Hell they could basically make a UX remake like this). Outsourced projects like Stranger of Paradise. All of that still comes to consoles. I don't see why the same can't be done of KH.

One word: Disney. From what I've heard, Disney does not want ANY KH projects done without Nomura's direct oversight. I don't think they'd be willing to greenlight an outsourced KH game.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
One word: Disney. From what I've heard, Disney does not want ANY KH projects done without Nomura's direct oversight. I don't think they'd be willing to greenlight an outsourced KH game.
Well there's no reason he couldn't right? Similar to how Sakamoto still directed the two most recent Metroid games despite them being outsourced to MercurySteam

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Well there's no reason he couldn't right? Similar to how Sakamoto still directed the two most recent Metroid games despite them being outsourced to MercurySteam
It's possible but I guess they seems to be more strict? I think KH remaster collections were done internally, when most other remasters from SE are outsourced.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I mean, we've had outsourced KH games before. Jupiter did Chain of Memories, h.a.n.d did 358/2 Days and Re:Coded, indieszero did Melody of Memory...

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Still can't believe this actually happened... I was expecting thirteen spin-offs between KH3 and KH4, but instead we're already getting it after... what, two? Melody of Memory and then Missing Link. Man, this is wild. And the craziest part is we didn't just get some cinematic tease, we got gameplay too!

Very excited to see Strelitzia show up! So that means Sora really is dead, though I wonder if it's because of what Yozora did to him... or just a result of all the heart-hopping he did to save Kairi. Either way, this gives me hope that Strelitzia can be reunited with her brother eventually!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
who remembers this? We finally have the final two

Though I wonder what those arrows and bottom row mean

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the point is that whatever new KH title gets made, Nomura (and Yasue) will be involved in the production.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of my point. If having spin offs farmed to outside developers with Nomura still directly in charge as recent as last year wasn't a problem before, why would it be now?
Because those games took far less effort to be made than games today. Additionally Nomura is working on multiple projects he wasnt actively working on KH3 while working on those main side games.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Nomura said he had to choose between KH4 and Verum Rex because he couldn't do 2 console titles at the same time, which I think means he doesn't really want to outsource a big console KH games. with the age on no real handheld systems, the only option seems to be Switch or Mobile game for smaller spinoffs, and I guess they went with mobile in Missing-Link.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
FQCPwnPaMAsFPaX

Nomura said he put Donald and Goofy scene at the end of the trailer to say the usual KH visual style Sora will be still there.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
KH would honestly be the best game series ever made if donald and goofy looked like their park costumes in Quadratum.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I really need to play III's DLC. Had it for so long but never got around to it. So Sora is inside the world from the Verum Rex game in III? I see some suggesting it is an afterlife the way III ends, especially so with Marluxia's sister here.

Oni_J

Oct 28, 2017
Stumbled on this clip oma random yt channel, wasn't sure this was official until the very end lol
Honestly thought it could have been a fan project since all the assets looked generic, but hey the real world looks generic I guess 🤣

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I've rewatched so many times and all I have is prolly could have edited out the qte prompt fellas